Which one was the biggest waste of potential?

Which one was the biggest waste of potential?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=2vU9kI3eTO0
twitter.com/AnonBabble

>lame 80s-90s nostalgia bait
>potential

Transformers. their movies are still terrible after all this time and it shouldn't have been that hard to make a movie about giant robots fighting other giant robots with a few token human characters. instead it was a movie about humans fighting giant robots with a few token giant robot characters.

the second Turtles movie is leagues better and expectations were lower to begin with after 3 terrible transformers movies. from what I've heard the MMPR movie isn't to bad.

You forgot the biggest waste of truly outrageous potential.

>Transformers 2007
>Anything but kino

Power Rangers is pretty easily the least wasted of them all, because while it was really bad don't get me wrong, if you want more fun shit like the original all you have to do is watch Sentai.

Tmnt i guess.

Bayformers as a whole has carved out its own island in the franchise

With a ton of fans as well as haters

Meanwhile powerangers is kind of the perfect millennial update for good or bad

Tmnt just kind if exists

1st Transformers was good.

Unlike its source material

TMNT isn't good in any format.

PR is better than the original movie but not as good as the show.

This. The Transformers comics are hit-and-miss, but when they hit they blow Bayformers out of the water,

Transformers by far. Over the years the franchise has had a huge sprawling mythology built up and the movies go out of their way to ignore or actively shit on the lot of it.

>Better than the original movie
>Implying they surpassed Ivan Ooze
youtube.com/watch?v=2vU9kI3eTO0

>ignore it

>bay is showing us the knights of cyberton while roberts is still giving us filler

What part of the transformers mythos are theu ignoring or shiting on?

How bad was it?

TMNT is a hard nut to crack sometimes. Getting the balance for Personalities and their Ninja background is hard.

Far as I'm concerned '90 hit the balance the best while going on that classic arc sans some of the more comic aspects like the Mousers. We get that Donny is the Brains Leo is the Leader or attempting to be Mikey is the Fun one and Raph is the hot head.

>2007
>It's been almost 10 years

it was just a paint by numbers stardom script with Jem painted on top as an afterthought. Had they done things like consulted the creator and not tried to turn a quick buck it could have worked.

>How bad was it?

Terrible. It feels like they had a separate movie script and just swapped every name with Jem characters to keep the rights.

It also had the worst box office opening of 2015. It was pulled from theaters within 10 days and most countries got it as a straight to DVD movie.

You can tell just from the trailer that the film was some generic "normie to superstar" script with the "Jem" license plastered onto it. The filmmakers locked "Jem" creator Christy Marx out of the production process from start to finish. They saved The Misfits (whose songs are better) for a cameo at the end to set up a sequel that will never ever happen. It tried to capture both the nostalgia audience and the young teenage girl crowd, and it failed in both instances. It was not the biggest critical flop or box office bomb of the year, though it was one of the bigger ones on both counts.

In short: For all the faults of the three movies listed in the OP, at least they tried to stay true to the spirit of the original franchises. "Jem" did not, for which it was savaged (and largely boycotted) by the original show's fans. It was a masterclass in how to fuck up a nostalgia-laden reboot. The only way it could've been worse is if it had been made with an all-male lead cast.

>the second Turtles movie is leagues better

It really wasn't. If anything, it was worse.

Second only to 4Stick wasn't it?

How much potential did this wasted?

aside from shitty ass Amell Casey Jones it fixed pretty much every major complaint people had about the last one and finally gave fans what they've wanted for years byt bringing in Beebop and Rocksteady who were a lot more fun then they had any right to be. Krang was alright.

a lot. thankfully the sequel kind of made up for it. not enough but it had enough to make me want another when it was over.

Could've been worse. Could've been better. "Retaliation" was largely better - if just because The Rock was in it. (The Rock makes everything at least a little better. SEMPER FI, MOTHERFUCKER.)

A whole lot.
But it was still a silly blockbuster that was by and large entertaining on its own merits.

Retaliation was a bigger waste of potential because they tried to fix things and still fucked it.

>it fixed pretty much every major complaint people had about the last one

>worse fights
>worse humor
>worse Shredder
>worse Shredder bears repeating because he was a literal nothing in the first one
>worse set-pieces

Outr-8-geous trips are witnessed.

What's the best GI Joe material out there?

The original comics and the most recent animated series where Cobra Commander wipes Moscow off the map.

Remember me?

Resolute and Renegades. I liked the more recent comics, I think it was IDW, but I wouldn't say they were the best.

Original series keeping it grounded. I say ditch ever going full Cobra-La.

Play up the conflict between the Lieutenants similar to how Renegades had it. None like being below Cobra Commander and think themselves more worthy.

Not really.
The shitty thing in the first one was that Shredder was a non-entity and in this one he's even MORE of a non-entity with B&R being the main antagonistic force for much of the movie.
More disappointing is the fact that there was like 3 decent movies in there (Return of Shredder, Krang, Anti-mutagen means the Turtles can be human) but NONE of them got proper development.

We prefer not to.

Ah Executive meddling the movie. Kid auditions with awesome skill. Don't ever let him really use it.

Further convinces me that nobody including the Nickelodeon Executives ever watched their own programming.

But hey word is M.Night actually wrote a good script until meddling killed it.

So will he continue on with more Aang, or just skip Ahead?

Transformers will be going on for at least 30 more years or until Trump nukes China. For all their faults they are slowly getting to that "Fast and the Furious" retarded fun phase with King Arthur and shit, so chances are that sooner or later, or when Bay finally goes away from the main series, that it'll get better.

TMNT is just a waste all around but Turtles, unlike the other two, have a far better overall franchise history, with the original comic being amazing, the '86 cartoon being goofy fun that's still surprisingly watchable, one fucking amazing movie, one goofy cool movie, an AMAZING revival 2003 series, a GLORIOUS TV crossover movie, a pretty ok new cartoon and a modern IDW comic run that is just balls out amazing even if I'm not fan of the most of the art.

So really two shit movies don't do the franchise that much disservice, it'll just go in the same pile with the Next Mutation and the 3rd movie.

Rangers I like transformers were never good. The concept is good, the designs are cool, it has like one or two good story arcs, but overall it's just shit. This movie failed to capitalize on the super hero hype train, failed to capitalize on the goofy fun humor train, failed to capitalize on nostalgia and was overall just a horrible mess. It it came out in like 2005 (the CGI looks like it's from 2005) it'd probably be great because it's made in the spitir of pre-MCU movies. This way it's just a bizarre visitor from another time, like the Masters of the Universe movie only shittier.
It also flopped hard so there probably won't be any more.

>The moment you remembered this was a thing
Damn this poster's shit

>any of those properties
>potential
You have 3 tv shows that were literally glorified toy ads.

To answer your question the Transformers movies because they fail at being fun movies about robots.

Out of the Shadows and MMPRs managed to be dumb and entertaining which is the entire point of their original series.

Anyone acting like TMNT or Power Rangers were ever high art needs to get a reality check

None of the above.
The biggest waste of potential is the DCEU.

POWER RANGERS was actually fun. Hope it gets a sequel.

You say that like he will ever get the chance to make a sequel. He will not. Even if he wins back all his goodwill from making that bomb (and The Happening...and The Village...and all his other shitty movies), the time to capitalize on any adaptation of the series has long since passed. Given how badly that film was received in the first place, and how they would need to recast everyone, and the potential for more whitewashing controversies...yeah, no fucking way you will ever see a sequel to "The Last Airbender".

>budget of 100 million
>earns 110 million

K E K

Well, they did tease the Green Ranger at the end, so they are obviously planning to make at least one sequel. (Word is they want five sequels.)

Then we move onto the next one then.

>earns 110 million
Word of mouth and Beauty and the Beast fucking killed it

>adapting "The Legend of Korra" to film

No. Noooooooo. No no no no no. nope.avi

Remember me?
Naruto's next

Not Sup Forums. Not relevant. Fuck off back to Sup Forums.

How can you make something that's already shit worse?

I would love for Naruto to get the evolution treatment

Life, uh...finds a way.

This movie gets a lot of hate, but on its own, its a fun stoner flick, especially if you're able to disconnect it form dragonball.

>Lionsgate execs find out Naruto fanbase has a lot of black people
>Shoe horn as much rap as possible
>Market it to a black audience with the hand signs being presented like gang signals
Believe it

Go back to dying your hair and finding fingerless gloves to wear, big jay.

...oh God, they really would do that.

>Fox News interviews a random black person who's purchasing manga about the Naruto movie
>He gives out incoherent sounds about his negative thoughts on it while going in depth about it and the characters
>This goes on for 25 minutes
>He also has lisp

TMNT by far. Transformers and Power Rangers were always shit franchises so there wasn't much potential to waste by turning them into shit movies anyway, but TMNT actually comes from good source material.

...oh God, they really would do that.

Original comics for comics, Resolute for movies and Renegades for TV series.

>Saying this when IDW's TMNT comic is better than IDW's Transformers comic right now

If you're mentally retarded perhaps.

>It's Woolie

...oh God, he really would do that.

>It's Forneverworld

>hasnt opened in china, korea and japan yet

gooks will save kaijukino again, like they did with Pacific Rim

>Lionsgate Power Rangers
>kaijukino
>When Goldar looks like molten cheese

They haven't really built up on the lore though. 4 movies in and we know there were 13 original primes, one of which fell. That's it.
You want a fun game? Try listing each one of major plot points, which happen before the first film and try to make sense of it.
>quintesons show up and blast the planet with Transformium for some reason then fuck off
>fast forward millions of years
>The fallen started the Decepticon faction and war, waited outside Earth waiting to destroy the sun
>Megatron makes a deal with Sentinel to transport Cybertron to Earth and enslave humans, that I guess he knew about was there
>after they blew up the sun
>then Optimus sends the cube randomly into space
>luckily it ends up going to the same place, randomly, where the Fallen and Sentinel prime were waiting

>while leaving the theater, I heard a couple in their late 20's talking about how it felt like the movie was setting up for a series.

were they happy or not?

The other thing people prefer not to, that ad last airbender can return the worst circles of hell

Transformers. Power Rangers was wasted too, considering how much stuff up to Space they could've used instead of being about nothing for 2 hours.

All of those are explained in the comics

It was truly outrageous.

Bayformers has all that human focus nobody wants but it delivers on robot fights every time.

Bayturtles ditched the Saki/Yoshi feud so the whole universe is really shaky. But then the sequel did more things right.

Power Rangers, as one review put it perfectly, was more like a pilot for The CW. The plot literally didn't allow them to morph until they were all nakama and shit. But the lore was more or less the same. Just needed to be more toyetic with morphers, weapons and communicators, and more unmorphed fights. Maybe a putty scouting raid.

So Bayturtles probably because no Saki/Yoshi.

>Transformers and Power Rangers were always shit franchises so there wasn't much potential to waste by turning them into shit movies anyway

Power Rangers wasn't a shit movie though. It was good. Not perfect (would have been nice to have more of them actually being Rangers) but still it wasn't bad.

The big thing is presentation. Bay spends 2.5 hours on brisk hints and ideas, which he always sets up the exact same way as "secret earth history." He also makes shit make no sense, like how Megatron is the leader of the Decepticons, except that he's not the Fallen is who just say in a chair for hundreds of years.

*sat

One thing I can say about Transformers is that they're visually gorgeous movies. The 1st film still looks better than a lot of what's put out today

>Pokemon movie
>Specifically Detective Pikachu
>Directed by the guy who did Goosebumps
>Written by Alex Hirsch and Nicole Perlman
This can actually be good considering how hard it would be to introduce the world of Pokemon to a film audience if they went with a film audience
How many bad Trump jokes will Hirsch put in?

Okay, name something that was real wasted potential

Eric Sachs should just have been Oroku's adopted son or something. There have been multiple Shredders before.

It wasn't even clear whether the bald Asian man they got for reshoots was his master or vice versa

Fuck off and die.
I read the comics for the first two and they did not.
The first movie comics and book just explained that Optimus launched the cube to a random location that not even they would know about. That's it.
The comics for the second explained that the twins were retarded, Arcee was an interesting concept that was dropped entirely from the movie, and that the fallen was in a mirror that Megatron found on cybertron. Nothing is expanded on beyond superficially.
I'm not reading any more bland cash grab comics about the fucking garbage heap bayformers that will get tossed at the drop of a hat off screen.
The wreckers, die off screen
Barricade dies off screen
Jolt, Arcee, and the twins all disappear
Fuck this series and all associated media

I thought Max Landis was writing the Pokemon movie because he came here and said so. And will they be CG with live-action people?

Bayturtles, easily.

I mean, I didn't expect much from it and I was still let down. Michael Bay is given a license that has a wacky premise right there in the title. Yet the first 45 minutes focuses way too much on April. When I watch a Michael Bay film, I just want stupid action shit, not a half hearted human plot that takes over too much of the movie. Bayformers did a way better job with humans despite a lot of viewers having that as a criticism.

The DCEU

Are you saying Evolution is a lot like The Super Mario Bros Movie?

Yes, my point exactly.

Comics are non-canon.

Fuck you I enjoyed the associated media. The video games were the best and the comics before they were offed were decently done.

Also Barricade actually survived and is now a character in TF5.

The comics are non-cannon as of movie 4 user.

>in the comics

I hate that excuse. Explain your mythology in your movie about the damn mythology. I get a movie tie in comic adding something extra to the story, but there is no fucking reason why they should be the backbone of your movie because you can't tell a story.

Oh sorry, I thought you meant the other way around

Rank the movie

>Shoe horn as much rap as possible
So they'd make a Killer Bee movie? I'd watch it.

Not really. A lot of the shots in all those films are too visually busy; there is often no real place to "focus" because you are being assaulted with lots of moving parts and such at the same time. (Bay's entire body of work has at least patches of this.)

I think either Wild Force or Ninja Storm was my first exposure to Power Rangers, and Dino was the very least the only show that actually made me want the toys though I never actually got them in the end.

Somewhere around average-tier, I guess?

Must've gotten rejected like when he tried to pitch a Power Rangers script with Zack as the Pink Ranger and Alpha having multiple limbs

They were all massive fuckups. Transformers being the biggest of the bunch.

They gave a sci-fi action story to a director and team who don't give a shit about sci-fi action.

I'd have to disagree. The combat, when melee and not generic shooting, is actually rather easy to watch. The problems however are two things: random background explosions they forgot to add a CG missile beforehand and that the Decepticons are rather monotonous in color. It doesn't help that they seem so fragile whenever the Autobots go melee mode and they just fall apart instantaneously if you aren't one of the big three.

Really? The first transformers game was complete shit. Ranged attacks were completely pointless after the second enemy was introduced thanks to an instantly deplorable shield and piss poor dps.
and for some reason it was better to hit someone with a tree than than energy blades designed to kill decepticons.