Does anyone have any recent data on how Marvel and DC are doing in the merch and licensing department?

Does anyone have any recent data on how Marvel and DC are doing in the merch and licensing department?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/3MF2VFgCUSk
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

It does look like DC has started doing more merch on characters other than Batman.

DC Superhero Girls has to have helped DC a lot at least in the US. It's a huge brand.

That and Harley getting so big lately

Really? Well, I guess it's okay for little girls to like Wonder Woman etc in High School than the multi-colored whores that currently saturate the children's market.

>Avengers is higher than Superman

That's fucking sad and I'm not even a Superfag.

Last I checked DC Superhero Girls sells an INSANE number of comics. It beats out some of Marvels top sellers.

According to DCU president Diane Nelson, 2016 launches another intiative she believes can be an over $1 billion assest generating revenue over 70 different product categories - DC Super Hero Girls.

>2014

In terms of single comic sells D.C. Is giving Marvel a black eye even when you take Star Wars and overshipping into account. In terms of trade sales it's an ever worse slaughter.

Rebirth brought DC up and WOKE brought Marvel down.

It sold better than all but two of Marvel trades in bookstores last year. And it was fairly close to the two that it did not beat.

39,446 CIVIL WAR: A MARVEL COMICS EVE MILLAR MARK MARVEL COMICS GROUP HACHETTE BOOK GROUP 4/1/2007 CGN004080 Trade Paperback 9.78079E+12 $24.99 $985,756
30,438 DEADPOOL KILLS THE MARVEL UNIV BUNN CULLEN MARVEL COMICS GROUP HACHETTE BOOK GROUP 11/1/2012 CGN004080 Trade Paperback 9.78079E+12 $14.99 $456,266
28,461 DC SUPER HERO GIRLS: FINALS CR FONTANA SHEA DC COMICS DC COMICS 7/1/2016 JUV008030 Trade Paperback 9.7814E+12 $9.99 $284,325

That's one of those short childrens novels right? Like Diary of a Wimpy Kid and Smile?

>she believes
>can be
and seeing as there has been no news since then it would seem she was wrong

which isn't really that surprising since she works for DC and all

I guess where would we check to see data on it? Does Mattel release anything publicly?

They keep signing new deal with Lego and shit and announcing new dolls and books.

>expected to make 1 billion in a year
>hasnt even been a whole year yet

you are dumb

They are comic trades

They do have normal novels too

I still usually see more Marvel merch whenever I glance around stores.

>and seeing as there has been no news since then it would seem she was wrong

Super Hero girls its a huge brand already in inernational markets.

Its just that DC has great female characters and girls really seem to like them.

Specially Bagirl, Supergirl, Wonder Woman, Harley, Ivy, Catwoman, Raven, Stargire and these days Zatanna, Stargirl and Killer Frost are getting bigger and bigger

Maybe Marvel should stop turning all their famales characters into Black Widow and maybe having them show their body a little

god i am so redpilled right now, thank you friend

>I still usually see more Marvel merch whenever I glance around stores.

unsold merch user, take a closer look and you can still find Winter Soldier toys among the bunch

No

Did you go down the girl aisle? I didn't see any Marvel there but DCSHG had a large section and WW movie shit had its own display. Still more Disney Princess stuff though, of course.

Yes, they do. The normal novels are written by Lisa Yee. The comics are written by Shea Fontana.

oh okay

Okay nobody here is actually posting any data

I don't think anyone knows where to get merch sales data.

here's something

Deadpool and Harley are lower than I expected

>hawkeye still a loser
>hawkeye still dominating green arrow

And all is right with the world.

Still quite significant for them to be grouped with characters who have existed for 50+ years.

Harley is probably only that high because of superhero girls.

>Ultron

>hawkeye still dominating green arrow

Ollie on suicide watch

>comic sales
No one cares though, we're talking about merch here.

Wonder Woman is selling more than Iron Man? That seems unlikely.

I feel like Iron Man stuff would mostly be kids but she has kids stuff as well as things that skew older like jewelry and purses and shit. Unless those kinds of accessories aren't counted in apparel?

Avengers is several heroes, including Hulk. Hulk has always been a big merchandise pusher.

Girls love DC .

Wonder Woman is the only female superhero anyone cares about, so she's basically got a lock on that demograph. That's also why Batgirl and Supergirl are so high.

It makes alot of sense when you realise that alot of those numbers are probably Tshirt sales, and the ones you see at Wal-Mart count to that...

Esp given the characters listed

Its because he's shown in group shots with the movie avengers roster on shirts and posters and whatnot.

why doesn't this brand for little girls appeal to fat adult men?

reeeee

>Ultron that high
>Wolverine that low

Times really have changed.

who's excited for all that great new wonder woman merch?

>Hal doll never ever

it hurts

It helps that Marvel has gone out of its way to do market the X-Men less and doesn't give them as much merch for people to buy.

Comic sales pale in comparison to merch and movies though.

>Ultron that high

why? I assumed Loki would be the most popular MCU villain.

Robots are cool. Who the hell want doll of normal human in a stupid costume.

thats actually pretty cool, if I was a metalhead or something I might get it for concerts

>Ultron
>above all these characters

What, does it count anything "Age of Ultron" related? Cause that would be dumb as fuck.

If DCs movies can't get girls into DC , DC Super Hero Girls will.

No it seems very likely. I never see people in iron man clothes but I see wonder woman shirts all the time

That's the real reason Marvel is pushing Captain Marvel. It's not because of SJWs or whatever, it's because they want to have that iconic female hero that'll make them merch money.

I think that's more Super Girl. Harley does have a pretty sizable fan base in people who don't read comics, kinda like deadpool.

Ok I don't know much about captain america but isn't winter soldier just another captain america?

I've seen kids wear iron man stuff if that counts for anything. That and some retro iron man art on tings like blankets and shirts/pants.

this was outdated even when it was first released, Ultron is nowhere to be seen since almost a year and Harley Quinn should be really high now, not to mention that Super Hero Girls is nowhere to be seen

>If DCs movies can't get girls into DC

Harley Quinn was the most popular character from any cape movie that year, she was everywhere and women in general loved the shit out of her character and Gal Gadot's Wonder Woman, despite what the echo chamber of hate/ Sup Forumstv says, people loved the shit out of Gal Gadot in BvS, even tumblr says ''the only good thing about the movie'' instead of just dismissing her like they do with Black Widow and Gamora

There's no fucking way that top graph is correct.

In an earnings conference call on Wednesday, Time Warner CEO Jeff Bewkes revealed the DC TV series generate a combined $1 billion in revenue annually for the media giant. According to The Hollywood Reporter, he also singled out the success of DC’s “Rebirth” initiative, a linewide publishing relaunch that restored many of the elements absent from the DC Universe since the 2011 debut of The New 52.

Avengers as an overarcing brand sells more merch than Superman, because really the only superman merch out at the moment is some S shirts that are always available.
Avengers is anything Cap, Iron Man, Thor, Hulk branded that Marvel sells

that would have been in the middle of marvel's absolute domination of the superhero movie scene
DC took a long time to get off their asses in the "cinematic universe" front, and they're still far behind

Even still according to it DC was shipping about 0.2k and Marvel about 5.5k. and in 2009 apparently DC was shipping virtually nothing and Marvel then was still shipping 10x more than what DC was in 2014.

There's no way it's accurate unless it's maybe talking about incredibly specific shipments from one store chain?

The source of that picture is apparently
>The Licensing Letter, 2013; Panjiva, which tracks containers with content marked by name.
Hardly a super accurate, super reliable source.

theres been multiple action figs of Hal released, you either don't give a shit in the first place or are a retard.

yes dipshit its all merch of that specific character, hence why half the list is avengers from the movies.

Does anyone know which Robin is the most popular?

it just means DC is less willing to attach their characters to thousands upon thousands of shitty products

>Maybe Marvel should stop turning all their famales characters into Black Widow and maybe having them show their body a little

>it's because they want to have that iconic female hero that'll make them merch money.

youtu.be/3MF2VFgCUSk
Disney is going to compete with DC Superhero Girls with Star Wars Forces of Destiny, which is a new doll line.

I guess they took a look at what Marvel had to offer, and decided to pass.

>compete
that's an odd way to spell destroy

Is that really the same kind of thing? Those look a little more high tier like collector-type dolls with the detail there, though the clothes are attached so maybe not.

They're doing animated shorts, so it's probably not solely for collectors.

Tim Drake was huge when he had his solo book back in the day.

>the real reason Disney bought marvel

WOKE? Im unfamiliar with that.

It's the SJW equivalent of redpilled.

Marvel has maintained a Superhero Action Figure line pretty much continuously since the 90's. I remember being a child and being able to buy 20 different show-accurate X-men figures at KB toys, but *maybe* five Batmen? all with insane "Arctic Camo Ski Adventure" outfits and neon orange skis.

Marvel was content to ship a Cyclops figure with light up eye- and nothing else. DC wanted every Batman figure to be a gimmic.

Also, Batman and Superman had some incredibly low quality official toys back in the day, while i won't praise marvel's every figure as being dynamic and super-poseable, you generally got neck, shoulders, elbows, waist, hips and Knees, at least. The spider-man figures were the ones that really pushed the limits of possibility... i remember the one that was based on the artwork of Todd McFarlane, it had finger articulartion... FINGER ARTICULATION. You could put that toy into any pose spider-man made on the cover of his book. Make him do the classic "Thwip" pose, or even crawl walls like anything.

The DC toys were just, failures by comparison. Why would a kid want "Capture Claw Superman" with as much articulation as a He-Man, when the X-Men wolverine figure, with spring-loaded claws that was comic accurate was the same price?

dc figures are starting to come around though, they just don't have the volume of characters produced regularly in comparison

These days Marvel figures look like shit

DC really needs to make toys of their characters besides just Batman and Superman. They have so many characters they could be making toys of but no keep making action figures of Batman cause he's popular.

Except there's no fucking way in hell Marvel shipped 2400% more in 2014 like the chart suggests.

What about the Icons line?

I specifically want a doll of DCSHG Hal not just a normal action figure of a normal Hal

I'm talking about toys and action figures you can get at a store like Walmart and Target that kids can play with.

Would you buy a Starfire action doll ?

Isn't Icons getting cancelled or something ?

For hot glue purposes, yes

Dick Grayson and Damian.

living in denial, Jason Todd is more popular nowadays

Jason isn't Robin right now though. He's more popular as Red Hood.

Reminder that this was during a year when a Spider-man movie was in theaters.

From what I've heard, DC is much more selective about what they licence their characters out to than Marvel. So you're more likely to see stuff like Marvel ice trays, shot glasses, can openers, and other products than you are DC.

Guess Disney decided to throw away all pretenses of Star Wars being a franchise for boys.

Yes. They picked a weird scale that didn't scale with other toylines or DCUC, and they were missing articulation like thigh swivels.

That said, Icons were impressive in that they were made by DC Collectibles instead of an actual action figure company. Hopefully the successor to Icons (which I'm positive is coming) will fix those issues.

>Is a huge merch success
>CN won't do dick with it and continue to exile it to Boomerang and their app
FUCKING CN

They don't need CN. Kids don't even watch cable anymore, it's all online

The reason why we don't find figures like that often and why they might be off, is the fact that the merch market changes all the time,so it's impossible to gauge.

Some tidbits:
>in 2016 the market targeted adults instead of kids, and although this may be a trend, Spider-man, WW and baby Groot are going to change that in 2017
>apparel is growing very fast and is expected to surpass toy sales
>around 70% of apparel is bought by women, although there's no indication whether it is for them or as a present/for their kids
>DC and Marvel account for 40-45% of Mattel and Hasbro, while Marvel has around 10% of the top 50 lego sales
>DC superhero giris is extremely successful and a game changer as it draws girls into the action figure game, but is short lived (6 month lease) as dc didn't put as much faith as they should in it.

>superman in the top 3
this makes me strangely happy