Why don't Westerners make Cartoons based on comics like the Japanese do Anime based on the Manga?

Why don't Westerners make Cartoons based on comics like the Japanese do Anime based on the Manga?
I feel like it would finally end the money-grabbing cape shit movies and at the same time do it way better than shitty actors would.

Are there any good cartoons based on comic books Sup Forums?

First of all, there are plenty and you'd know that if you had spend just a day or two browsing this board.

Secondly, anime is a totally different market than Western comics. The stories are not a part of some 'universe' and they all stand on their own.

You're an idiot.

Why tho?

>The stories are not a part of some 'universe' and they all stand on their ow

Though, wasn't this true for comics in the beginning? Until every thing got consolidated under the big two?

You bloody well know why

Because they've been making cartoons based on comics since the dawn of animation.

Like which ones?
I know there are the basic ones, but I want to see like Uncanny X-Force animated and shit like that.

Like I said they're just your basic mainstream stuff like Spider-Man and Batman, I want to see like a bunch of comic series animated. Like WE3 or Hellboy that remain canon and true to the comic and cover most of it, I'm wondering if there's any shit like that.

Most of the old cartoons were just made to sell action figures.

What? Are you retarded?
There were multiple cartoons from Marvel, DC and even Image. Including some of the best cartoons of all time.
Several of the big european comics like Tintin and Asterix had cartoons too, and newspaper comics like The Phantom, Dilbert and Garfield.

Is this some weird specialized bait?

Are you kidding OP? Seriously cartoons based on comics have been a thing for a lot longer than anime. Hell, a lot of anime was inspired by pic related.

Yeah but they feel all childish and stupid, they're more like spinoffs if anything.

No. Comics have been a shared universe since early in the golden age. Team-ups between comics were common and teams like the JSA were the norm for pretty much every superhero comic publisher.

By the time OP's idea would even be viable in the mid-50's, team-ups, crossovers, and cross-book super-teams popped up all the time.

DC Is already doing this with their DTV slate

I think OP is referring to direct adaptations. Like, just getting VAs and animating the books.

This.

You guys aren't understanding. Anime makes direct, literal adaptation of manga. Marvel and DC shows just take elements of comics and do their own thing. Not that there's anything wrong with that, just I don't get why that's the only direction they take.

I've been saying for a long time that faithful adaptations of stuff like New Teen Titans, Man of Steel, 70's Batman, Suicide Squad, Captain Atom, JLI, and so on and on would just be great.

More modern comics would be even better since they're more cinematic these days. Jonah Hex, Johns' Green Lantern, Snyder's Batman, all this stuff could be translated almost completely literally from panel to animation very easily, and none of what I've said are very dependent on external continuity outside of some event crossovers.

The only ones that qualify for what OP's talking about are All-Star Superman and TDKR. Even Killing Joke was full of reinterpretations and new material.

Because Manga are written by a single person with an editor.

Comics are a clusterfuck with people's ideas trying to make different versions of the same character to "make them theirs"

Then only release them by creators.

You animate the run of, say Michelinie's Spider-Man. Then you end the series. If you want you can make another series of JMS later on, but make sure you title the series differently.

>Anime makes direct, literal adaptation of manga
Cherry picking user. Cherry picking. For every long running anime series there are hundreds of manga that only get a single heavily adapted OVA. Even the big series are either changed for the anime a la Fullmetal Alchemist, or filled to bursting with anime only filler.

This. Western comics are either big business with too much at stake or too small time to be viable for a full animated series.

All-Star Superman was also full of reinterpretations. Their Year One was more faithful than their ASS

Actually giving part of a run the OVA treatment and faithfully adapting it would be great. Package it with a volume and it would make them a nice chunk of change.

Still, it's something common in Japan but non-existent in America.

The Maxx
Spawn
DCAU
Young Justice
Avengers EMH
Tick
Boondocks (originated as a comic strip)
Cybersix
Silver Surfer TAS
W.I.T.C.H.

I'd have to imagine that it has something to do with the West generally being bad at straight adaptations. And I don't really mean that as a knock either. America is especially bad at straight adaptations even of non-Sup Forums material that's very straightforward and down to earth. US adaptations excel when they're fairly open to interpretation and are spiritually and/or emotionally faithful to the source material from the perspective of the filmmakers (or insert creative leads here).

Hell, some creators even demand that adaptations of their work take major liberties.

Trying to stay so close to any given source material usually results in very tepid adaptations that few people like. So angry fans and a general public who cannot give less of a shit. The few that breakthrough often feel like empty to the audiences that consider themselves as having more discerning tastes.

Could there be room for such things here? Probably. But will it ever be a thing? As of now it's highly unlikely.

Why is there a no left turn sign? there's no where to turn left or do a U turn.

Marvel citizens are so dumb they need to be reminded not to drive into buildings.

Thank you, this is what I meant to say in the OP but I'm just too autistic to say it like you did.

First: What?

Second: American comics are almost universally capeshit, so even when you have a faithful comic-to-cartoon adaption, it tends to be rather disappointing. Plus, the "good" capeshit comics tend to be noteworthy due to their artstyle, layout, or pacing. Pretty much all of these get lost in a western cartoon adaption, since there is no interest in trying to preserve the artstyle (and frequently that would be impossible).

Third: American comics and American cartoons are primarily aimed at children, due to everyone just assuming there is no adult market. And so, none is produced. The few indie comics which are not the standard capeshit or Saturday comics are already an incredibly niche audience, and so spending a large amount for an animated cartoon is likely out of the question.

As for non-American comics, I seem to recall Adventures of Tintin getting a 3D movie, and that wasn't even its first animated appearance. So clearly some of them are receiving animated adaptions.

>Yeah but they feel all childish and stupid, they're more like spinoffs if anything.
So faithful to the source material?

Because animated series make shit all money. Even in Japan the only way they actually make money off of series is via Blu-ray sales and no one in America is going to pay $60+ for four episodes like they do in Japan.

>still no official blu-ray release
hurts

The problem is that almos the only thing you see adaptated is the eternal capecomic, full of retcons all over the place, repeated storylines and most importantly no end in sight.

I love most of the Spider-Man cartoons, but I'm getting really fucking tired of rewatching the origin sotires for his rogue gallery play out. Not like the alternative is much better mind you, just having all these villains and keep beating them and then coming back even from death. Honestly, who can blame the cartoon makers for trying to take that overwhelming amount of materil and make several changes to try and smooth it all out so it works with a limited amount of episodes?

A direct adaptation of, say, Watchmen, would work just fine because it's one story with a clear plot and a clear ending, but that's clearly in the minority.

Even in the capecomic medium there is the ocassional run that has a nice and clean story, like G.L.A. or Superior Foes, but why would you make a cartoon of these "literally who characters"? Let's just make another Spider-Man/Batman

>so even when you have a faithful comic-to-cartoon adaption, it tends to be rather disappointing
Yet that doesn't stop them from pumping out shonen manga adaptations in Japan.

>but why would you make a cartoon of these "literally who characters"?
Why not? I mean original cartoon characters are also "litteraly who". Nobody sees Aang or Jack and says "not superstar comics characters, will never work"

Most seasonal programming tends not to be shonen, though. And most of the shonen you are thinking about are likely the massively popular series (Dragonball, Naruto, etc.) which can be successful just due to the size of the audience; enough people will ultimately buy products to make it successful.

>The problem is that almos the only thing you see adaptated is the eternal capecomic, full of retcons all over the place, repeated storylines and most importantly no end in sight.
There are many, many comic runs that don't have anything you said there. Most long runs have a definitive ending when the writer leaves. Just because the characters don't die and end up going on to appear in other things doesn't mean they don't end. In Avatar, Aang is implied to have a long history of further adventures after the end of the series, yet his story still had a very clear ending.

As I posted up here there are many longrunning, fantastic runs that have a clear beginning and end and don't rely on complicated continuity. I mean, you can go buy every trade of New Teen Titans without having ever opened a comic before in your life and fully understand the story, with anything that references prior continuity being summarized for you in the pages of the story.

Even most Batman runs are pretty much self-contained. Spider-Man does have a large focus on continuity which makes a lot of his comics not good for adaptation, though. With Batman, prior to the 80's most stories were limited to one or two issues, and many of them were actually adapted for Batman TAS. But then you have, again, Snyder's run which requires no prior knowledge whatsoever.

I'm not really sure what point you're trying to make. Of course there's lots of non-manga adaptations or adaptations of smaller works. But as you say the massively popular ones are the ones like Dragon-Ball and Naruto that are extremely longrunning, heavily serialized, nearly scene for scene adaptations of the comics. And that's exactly my point, that surely that could work just as well in America with a character as huge as Batman or Spider-Man.