Let's talk about something that sometimes go vert unnoticed in comics. The colorists...

Let's talk about something that sometimes go vert unnoticed in comics. The colorists. They are mostly noticed when they fuck up. Do you have some favorite colorists? Do you want to post examples of horrible recolored material. Is there any comic you would WANT to see recolored? This is the place to do it.

I can start of by naming two of my favorite comic colorists. First up is Dace Stewart and then there is also Dean White.

The example on the right is so disappointingly banal that I don;'t know what they were thinking.

>left
>we want the Watchmen audience

>right
>we want the normie audience

>Is there any comic you would WANT to see recolored?

The best part is that they published a Noir edition of Batman: The Killing Joke, so anyone who wants to recolor the book can go ahead and try it.

So the Watchmen audience?

BRING IT ON

I have the Walt Simonson Thor omni and the recolor is just hideous. Restoration of classic comics is a big deal to me. A lot of times they just do really flat coloring that looks awful. I noticed there's a new printing of the omni solicited, but no word yet if it's going to have a new coloring or not.

Recently I was looking at Perez's Wonder Woman reprint, and there's a very interesting method they use. It uses a very subtle dot pattern to make the colors, so it looks new and fresh but keeps the "texture" for lack of a better word of the original printings. A downside to this is, like the original printing, there's some bleeding of the colors. I'm not sure if this is actually an intentional effect based on the copies they had, but it doesn't look good with the recolor, it looks like they just did a shitty job with the paintbrush tool in Photoshop. I appreciate the intent but it just doesn't look good.

Another conflict is glossy vs. thin paper. The glossy is extremely high quality of course, but the newsprint type paper is more accurate to the original printing. Both have their advantages so I can't really choose, but typically newer comics look better with glossy while classics look better with paper.

An exception being the Wonder Woman Perez omni again. It kinda feels like the best of both worlds because of the dot effect they used.

>Implying the Watchmen audience isn't the normie audience

Color is extremely important. Dave Stewart is my favorite colorist as well, but i have to give major props to Laura Allred and Jordie Bellaire as well.

My favorite colors in a comic are in Grendel, Hellboy, and Cary Nord's Conan.

When I first heard about the black & white version I thought it was going to be great but honestly it's not very good. I think the balance between white/black just feels off.

The color threads on Sup Forums are so fucking pathetic.

It's always those two pages from TKJ, always Sandman, always "How's Simonson's Thor?", always Stewart and White and Bellaire, never a new idea, not a single other comic — and everytime a grand conclusion that oh gasp, it's not the tool that is shitty, it's the USER!

Thank you and don't forget to tune in for the next installment of our bimonthly circlejerk sessions.

Gibbons' art was meant to be colored, so yeah. His style isn't exactly screaming B/W coloring, unlike, say, Tim Sale's stuff.

Killing Joke was intended to be colorized is why. And I think that's the best opportunity here, someone can try to do a recoloring.

I love the old coloring styles of flat colors and a limited palette.
I fucking hate how everything today is brown colors with gradients. I wish I could wash the colors off a modern comics and redo all of it with flat limited colors.

Shit like pic related is what I'm talking about

It's obviously just an excuse to sell people another copy of TKJ.

I can't even look at the Miracleman Marvel re colors because I'm a fucking autist and I can't help but feel like they've bastardized the whole thing.

Don't even get me started about the language censorship

I don't see how they matter. Both pictures in the OP tell the same story.

But they give off different feelings.

Worst take.

One of them has orangey-red and the other doesn't. Orangey-red isn't really a feeling. It'd be like if you posted two copies of the same page where one had stripes over it and the other had polka dots over it. It wouldn't really change the story either way.

there are no miracleman editions with good colors
they all suck

t. shallow critic

the face of autism

Left conveys the madness of the Joker in the bizarre colour pallete and by lighting it as if next to a fire gives a sense of danger. Right just shows what's happening literally and is duller for it.

Autism is obsessing about sensory details. Healthy thinking focuses on the story with the understanding the imagery are props used to help tell it.

Goddamn you're stupid. This is why we need to teach visual literacy.

I don't believe this is real. Just some "it's ok take your vaccine" promotion like the muppets.

auties don't have souls confirmed

As someone who has never clicked on a single color thread, and has always been the worst colorist and painter in art class, despite all the drawings my teacher liked

Give me the rundown on colors, how to color beyond coloring inside the lines, and the names of the lords of coloring and why they've earned their place in history. Pls. It's my life's greatest weakness besides chemistry and music

People say Kung Fu Panda 2 had great color theory, what do they mean by that

Don't bother, focus on visual details is just autism, you were right to ignore it:

Same. I think it's easier to appreciate the linework- it feels more like a drawing to me somehow

Autism is not understaning emotions, which you clearly cant do.

Thanks for providing no new insight and taking part in exactly what you wasted half a minute espousing as if it's some deep and nuanced opinion.

>Tell me, Dr. Freeman, if you can: you have destroyed so much — what is it exactly that you have created? Can you name even one thing?... I thought not.

I typically don't mind the colors as long as they're not atrocious, but I do find it interesting to see how different techniques affect things.

I don't really get lasso brush or painterly

Painterly is supposed to mean painting in a way where the fact it's a painting is featured instead of hidden, so that rather than try to make it look super-realistic you're more playing with the medium and doing things that look cool but also obviously not real e.g. these apples don't look real but look pretty neat in the way they were made to do stuff you can only accomplish through the medium of painting.

That said I don't really understand how the example of Wolverine in that picture from the post you responded to counts as painterly. The differences between all six of those Wolverines are pretty subtle, I think it would've been more helpful if they emphasized each one's defining characteristics a bit more because you can barely tell them apart.

Not an expert but from what I can tell there are different levels of highlight blending.
Cell shaded is the most stark, look at the top of Wolverine's head. The bright yellow stands out from the dark and is a solid shape.
Lasso is second, having dabbled in Photoshop myself I'm going to assume it starts out like cell shading but you blur and soften and blend and all that shit.
Painterly and Textured I guess just means using the brush tool, while Airbrush is spraying.

Of course flat has no touch ups at all. It's just the color one and done over the lines.

Linework's my artistic fetish. I can never say Jim Lee's a bad artist even if I hate how he defined DC's house style.

why are colorfags so autistic?

Because they're interested in something you don't care much about?

t. autism

>Sup Forums meme
>Armchair psychology
Really interesting to see the influence the internet has on the meme generation.

It's like keeping a parrot around someone with Tourette Syndrome.
It will act retarded by association.

Flat stylr isn't even right. They lightened the inks, which is digital fuckery and ass backwards.

>you can barely tell them apart.
What? All six of those are pretty distinct and easy to tell apart. I do agree that the painterly example isn't very good and the flat-style example is all kinds of fucked, but they're still very easy to tell apart.