I applaud the decision to hit the restart button on some of the stale formulae we’ve grown accustomed to in SW...

I applaud the decision to hit the restart button on some of the stale formulae we’ve grown accustomed to in SW. The whole concept of hero worship undermines the Everyman hero and I’m glad they had the bravery to really explore the notion of what really happens when you meet your heroes. They’re just people. People dealing with their own failures and hang ups. The Finn/Rose arc, Poe’s mutiny, Rey’s failure to turn Ben, all these are examples of our heroes tying their best, believing what’s right, and failing. And as Yoda tries to tell Luke, who still hasn’t learned this lesson, our failures are often more important to our growth than our success.

People will be mad about this film. It will make them uncomfortable because it gets rid of the seemingly solid foundation of hero worship. But the heroes journey has always been about finding salvation and growth within. No ones coming to rescue you from yourself.

There were things I questioned in the movie, but that’s been the same with every SW film and nothing was so extreme as to be too hard to swallow, as I almost felt about the prequels when they first came out. I really enjoyed being surprised with all the new things the Force could do (thank goodness being a Jedi doesn’t just mean you can do cool Backflips and forcejumps). Bravo to Rian for expanding the scope of what it means to be a Jedi.

>disney is going for the meta market now
give it up mouse. you lost.

If what you said is true, why does Rey defeat every obstacle put in her path with no grievous losses or introspection? She’s literally superwoman.

now that SW is dead, can we have some based spinoffs?

Am i the only one here who loved the fuck out of Rogue One?

>based spinoffs

Rian Johnson is directing the future spinoffs...

is that a good thing? i have no fucking idea who that is.

kasdan, jj and kk are cancer.

BUT, I actually loved hermit luke.

Rian did the best with what he was given. Disney killed star wars, with TFA, none of you protested 2 years ago to their butchery, but now Rian resuscitated it a little. I know Luke's lack of massive force destruction and ownage stings, but his wisdom and mastery were spot on.

If you think about it he's no less ambivalent than Yoda in OT. We ALL wanted to see Luke fuck shit up, but its JJ's fault for creating this mess in the first place.

TLC is a solid 7.5 - 8. Far better than the derivative 2 TFA was.

>shadman

oh, he's written VIII

well, fug :DD

>kasdan
didn't he direct Empire ?

based shadman

No, Irving Kershner directed ESB. Kasdan is a writer.

no, he tried to ruint empire

irvin kershner (lucas' film teacher from usc) directed it and made the film good

That boy needs Jesus.

>everyman hero
Fuck you, would you? Everyman hero my arse. They fucked up the saga.

>shadman

I just threw up a little bit reading your post user.
Nicely done.

This is delusional.

This was the first truly original and thought provoking Star Wars. It avoids the traps of the old clichés while still providing enough satisfying epic moments we've come to love. The hard core fans want to recapture the feeling they had the first time they saw Star Wars, which was fresh, authentic and thrilling-- THIS WAS IT! Finally we had fully developed and brilliantly acted characters, finally we had a plot that really focused on these characters and not cheap action scenes. The hard core fans don't care about the characters, they don't care about getting something new, they care only care about a very narrow view of the Star Wars universe that completely disregards the reality of human emotion. And while there were some plot points that could be improved, dramatically they were still brilliantly constructed-- the plot twists were incredibly surprising, and every character had purpose. The story flows naturally, until it reaches a truly climactic moment that ties everything together. At some point, you have to question the tastes of the Star Wars community-- they don't know a good movie when they see one.

>shadman

Shit copypasta. You need to go back to where you got it from.

>with TFA, none of you protested 2 years ago to their butchery
imagine being this much of a newfag. Sup Forums was kicking and screaming nonstop for months over jjs "glib facsimile." The response was actually much more hostile than this time round I wanna say

>is that a good thing? i have no fucking idea who that is.

reddit