How come this one turned out fine and respects the old movies while the new episodes piss all over the legacy and are...

How come this one turned out fine and respects the old movies while the new episodes piss all over the legacy and are also shit?

>R1
>turned out fine

R1 is shit

This movie didn't mess with the preestablished characters.

All we had was
>grand moff bossing people around
>leia being there in lame cgi for 5 seconds
>Vader killing mooks

Forgettable it was, but it knew not to fuck with important things like Luke

This one was the worst of the bunch

Different director and/or writers? I suppose? Idk i dont really watch star trek.

i don't remember r1 being that bad
in fact
i don't remember it at all

pathetic subhumans can't into kino

Fuck you all, R1 is amazing.
Watched it today to wash the taste of TLJ out of my mouth This movie has so much going for it. It has:
-some of the coolest shots ever of the Death Star
-helps explains one of the dumbest flaws of NAH (the exhaust port)
-has one of the best land/space battles on Scarrif
-humor that is well paced and implemented better than VII or VIII's cancerous jokes
-THE BEST Darth Vader scene, possibly best scene period, in the ENTIRE series

watch more film

Glad I'm not the only one. These nu-wars movies make me feel like I have Alzheimers. The only other series that was like this was The Hobbit. I know I saw them, but I can't remember more than 5 minutes of them. Only The Hobbit series and Nu-Wars though. It's bizarre as fuck.

Wow what a shit taste

R1 probably featured the worst of the fan pandering, even considering TFA was a shot by shot remake of ANH

R1 also committed the sin of being incredibly boring

>tfw the destruction of Jedha is a better and more emotional scene than the Bosnian system exploding in TFA

>-THE BEST Darth Vader scene, possibly best scene period, in the ENTIRE series

Made me cringe. The scene was dippy fanservice and nothing more. OT Vader wouldn't have done that nonsense

Better than any prequel.

You're full of shit. TFA has a "sick callback XDDDD" every 5 minutes. R1 is based in the original trilogy, so the setting itself doesn't count as a callback. The C-3PO and R2D2 scene is the only overt callback scene I can think of.

Setting the bar high I see.

it was literally a prequel

AT-STs AT-STs
STAR DESTROYERS
X-WINGS AS WELL AS TIE FIGHTERS
I'M GONNA CUUUUUUUM

What is your interpretation of Darth Vader then? He has never once shown signs of aggressive yet calculated behavior? Was he supposed to get the plans by talking it out? Do you forget that he is the most feared figure in the entire galaxy?

This. Stormtroopers would just shoot those fags in seconds and get back the plans. But no Vader had to be a badass.

>What is your interpretation of Darth Vader then? He has never once shown signs of aggressive yet calculated behavior? Was he supposed to get the plans by talking it out? Do you forget that he is the most feared figure in the entire galaxy?

He was just some retard in a suit user. People openly mocked him to his face in ANH

It's literally better than itself, ultimate kino.

>Bosnian system

snort

The obvious answer is a non-subhuman director.

Just like how they did in ANH hope right? Oh wait no they got outsmarted by two autistic droids and a woman... Do you forget how inept stormtroopers are portrayed in the series? (I do agree that that is bs though. We need something where stormtroopers are badass and feared, similar to the clones in the clone wars show)

And then he would force choke them and reassert his dominance as powerful, although a puppet to the emperor. Have you even watched thee movies?

>Just like how they did in ANH hope right?

Yeah? They took the ship in a minute.

>Bosnian system

>People openly mocked him to his face in ANH
Motti was a retard, and Moff was the commanding officer of the Death Star.

At this point that sjw infested animated series Rebels is better than the mainline episodes of SW

R1 was made with pleasing fans in mind.

TLJ was made with pleasing normie millennials in mind.

You specifically said they would have easily recovered the plans as well, which they failed to do in ANH. And Vader single-handidly dealt with 7+ rebels on his own in no time at all. Did you even consider how personal it is for him to invade initially by himself, knowing damn well that his daughter was in charge?

>knowing damn well that his daughter was in charge?
He didn't. Watch the fucking movies.

>the new episodes piss all over the legacy

I strongly disagree

I think Rogue One pissed over the Star Wars legacy far, far more by establishing that the Death Star was sabotaged, than the new ones did by stating that the original trilogy had consequences

Not to mention they implemented original designs successfully that fit with the time setting without taking away from anything else.

>turned out fine
Name five characters that were introduced in Rogue One without looking their names up.

You're right, because Vader has never shown any sort of force sensitivity when his children are around...

A forgettable movie does less damage than a shit movie.

>And then he would force choke them and reassert his dominance as powerful, although a puppet to the emperor. Have you even watched thee movies?

He force choked Princess Leah? But in any case you're letting the later characterizations of vader impact how he was originally characterized(especially in ANH)

ANH vader wasn't luke's father for one, he was a relic of a bygone era, he was a weirdo in a suit who followed a dead religion. He wasn't the "most powerfulest force user ever" he was a dude who did special assignments for the Emperor. Lucas in fact was going to kill him off in ANH when the Death Star exploded, originally.

His 'badass rank" definitely increased in Empire, he was essentially promoted to general of the entire galactic empire.

>-helps explains one of the dumbest flaws of NAH (the exhaust port)
Get off my board, brainlet.

It didn't but it's also constrained by established events whereas the new ones can take a steaming shit on canon with impunity.

>the new ones did by stating that the original trilogy had consequences

The humor part is what I appreciate the most. They had a designated wisecracking robot for that, but in TLJ everyone's fucking Tony Stark.

You made me realize i cant name one and ive seen it twice, once in the kinoplex

The force choking was referring more to how he treated his fellow generals when they would disrespect them. Leia was being a cocky little cunt knowing damn well that the Empire would need her alive so there was little to no risk in talking a little shit. Also, it's his daughter for god's sake, and he has shown weakness towards his feelings with his children, so of course overt violence there was not an option for him.

This actually brings up something else I hate about the nu-films which is the force interrogation shit. I'm assuming the Emperor and Vader would have been strong enough to do so, I'm so glad it was never implemented in the OT. Would've ruined everything by making it too easy.

>Also, it's his daughter for god's sake, and he has shown weakness towards his feelings with his children, so of course overt violence there was not an option for him.

Do you think that Vader knew Leia was his daughter, user?

K2SO
Jyn Erso (though fuck her for being a lamer Jan Ors)
Cassian Andor
Director Krennic
General Merrick

Right off the top of my head and I haven't seen R1 in like a year.

Honestly all these people who say "wow so boring so forgettable I fell asleep in the theatre" are contrarian retards. Even for a film that was purely about world building they managed to accomplish better characters and development than TFA and TALK combined, told a good story effectively, and managed to set itself well in the in-universe timeframe without turning in to a hamfisted fan service like most of the sequel trilogy.

Whenever someone says "wow I can't even remember what happened in the movie" I assume they are either a fucking idiot or have literal dementia.

Jeyn Orso
ah...
oh...
um...
Jackie Chan

FUCK

Again, Vader has consistently shown serious force sensitivity when his children are nearby (remember him being able to feel Luke's presence across space).

Or maybe you're just obsessed with a shitty, boring, forgettable movie.

The cantina dude was an overt callback scene, and I'd say more awkward than the C3PO and R2D2 one. But I agree with you.

The new trilogy can't ruin the original movies, by definition. Nothing they do can subtract from the canon established by those movies.

Rogue One basically completely ruins A New Hope by stating that literally any joe shmoe with an X-Wing and enough luck could've destroyed the Death Star, and it was pure coincidence and contrivance that lead the whiny farmboy who was also the son of the big scary mask guy to do it.

You must not remember the main character randomly bumping into the cantina guys that don't like Luke in a New Hope.

Oh fuck forgot about that one you're right. That one was a little harder to spot for nu-fans though, but it had more cheesiness than R2 and 3PO.

Jyn Erso.
Captain Krennic.
General Gomez.
Taz Makhata.
Tsao-chung.
Samurai.
Arab guy.

Explain how it's shitty, boring, or forgettable.

Without meme answers, if you wouldn't mind.

I didn't even see it, don't want to watch filler with literal who's

>Rogue One basically completely ruins A New Hope by stating that literally any joe shmoe with an X-Wing and enough luck could've destroyed the Death Star, and it was pure coincidence and contrivance that lead the whiny farmboy who was also the son of the big scary mask guy to do it.

Not really, making a weakness doesn't mean any jack ass can exploit it. Did you forget in ANH other pilots making the run and firing with target computers missing, and it's only Luke putting trust in the Force that he's able to make the shot.

It doesn't ruin ANH. The exhaust port had to be so small and insignificant so that the Empire wouldn't be suspicious by its existence. The port was still extremely small and required a lot of skill (and the force) to hit it.

The fact that the one-time throwaway characters in R1 have less memorable names than the monosyllabic tellytubby names of the goofy marvel superhero trilogy characters of the sequels doesn't mean R1 isn't the better movie in every single way. It's a far less character-driven movie and its characters still somehow manage to be better than the TFA counterparts.

Krennic was a better character than anybody in TFA. Jynn Erso was better and infinitely more likeable than Mary Rey. R1's imperial villains are more subtle and nuanced than the JK Rowling-esque screaming seig heiling space nazis of TFA. The absolute most R1 fucked with the original characters was by giving them brief cgi moments, and I don't think they were that bad.

R1 was just a Star Wars film that focused largely on the action of the immediately pre-OT era. TFA on the other hand was a contemptuous, cynical, Disney gangrape of the Star Wars OT. Say whatever you want about R1 on its own, but it's objectively better than the new trilogy. If R1 is shit, okay then, but that means that TFA is worse than shit.

R1 and the Sequel trilogy are to Star Wars, respectively, what Halo Wars and the Reclaimer trilogy are to Halo.

he doesn't know abiut Leia until RotJ

Why? So you can meme arrow any point I make, say "NUH UH" and act as if you rebutted it? I'm not in the mood to waste my time on you. You've already insulted anyone and everyone that disagrees with you about this turd of a movie, ungoaded, calling them "contrarian retards", "fucking idiots" and having "literal dementia". You're not interested in having a genuine discussion, you're interested in winning an argument. I'm not. I've already won this argument multiple times, and I don't have the patience to attempt proselytizing another moron. Go peruse the archives if you really want to get mad over the opinions of people with more taste than you. I'm sure you'll find my posts, and others, that more than adequately explain hor it's shitty, boring and forgettable.

>ripping off not only Beyond The Black Rainbow but Dark Souls 3

Notice that no one tells vader about leia in rotj. He just drops that he knows to get luke pissed.

What brings it up? Luke? I haven't seen ROJ in a minute so I could be wrong here, I just kind of assumed he would be able to sense it. Reading online more he supposedly didn't know yet because Lucas hadn't even planned for Luke and Leia to be siblings until ROJ.

No, you can't have it both ways.

Either the exhaust port is so small and insignificant that you *need* the Force to hit it, in which case, why even bother sabotaging it?

OR

It's sabotaged, in which case you don't need the force.

Further, the entire fucking point of ANH is that anyone, no matter how humble their roots, can overcome a giant looming evil if they believe enough, no matter how much opposition they face.
If it turns out the opposition was ready-made to be overcome when he gets there, then the movie loses basically all of its punch.

>watch rogue one for the first time
>it's fun
>rewatch it
>it's shit

>watch TFA for the first time
>it's shit
>rewatch it
>it's not that bad, just average

anyone else?

R1 is worse than the prequels and 7 combined. It’s absolute and utter dog shit.

>watching TFA more than once
why would you subject yourself to that?

see we don't know how vader knows he just comes out and says it.

i can't remember anything about R1, really, except vader's scenes.

I like it too user

>b-but muh sequels
Just as pathetic as the "b-but muh prequels" shit that people who defend the sequels spout. They're all shit. Hilarious that you write a multi-line post trying to distract from the fact that you couldn't even name five characters.

Ummm but he did have it exactly both ways... It's design still requires a huge effort and skill to overcome. The Death Star would never have had such a kill switch had Erso not implemented it with the hope that someone could come along with enough skill to overcome such a challenge. It doesn't lose any punch because of this. It had to be small and insignificant so, like I said, the Empire would never have suspected it was planted with the intention to destroy the base.

I guess that's why I always assumed he could sense it.

Yes, OP is the zombie they still need to cater to with the spinoffs. While their new shitty characters don't work and will attract less and less people, they'll always be able to milk the old ones, while still polluting it with their identity politics and feminism just like in Rogue Juan.

Not going to enter the "R1 is good or not" diatribe but there is an element to consider:
In R1, we see the Empire crush the rebels, and the victory is just a tenuous hope. We see what normally happens if the Empire catches you.
You will be crushed.
This makes what Han, Luke and Leia accomplished in the OT gain a greater weight.
Now compare to TFA and TLJ.

Fucking this

I took it as you could interpret it as one of two ways either A) Vader read lukes mind while they were fighting and find out because luke had just recently found out or B) Vader always knew but waited until that moment to reveal.

not like I have a life

It was an independent project that Disney financed. Produced by ILM directly instead of Bad Robot.

no idea, I only watched R1 ins kino, and that was because I heard Vader was gonna be in it.

Ok thanks for explaining your stance in a well thought out post.

Wait how did Luke even find out again? I need to rewatch the OT soon, especially after having suffered through TLJ.

I enjoy R1 every time I've watched it.

Whereas I've seen TFA three times and each time I watch it I just get angrier.

>Rogue One basically completely ruins A New Hope by stating that literally any joe shmoe with an X-Wing and enough luck could've destroyed the Death Star
Are you retarded? In ANH the rebels do not send Luke alone. It was assumed that any good shot could make it.
Luke did it, thanks to the force and with no targeting system but he was not the only one that could make it. A guy before him misses by few inches.

>Bosnian system

Cheeky cunt.

He sensed it off luke. Luke is focusing on her to avoid falling and vader picks up on it. He doesn't even know her name

Go see a doctor

The new films seem to be stuck on this crux of

>to hell with the old stories, there were too many old white men, we're going to write our own stories and be cool and progressive

vs.

>we literally have no good ideas and don't know how to write characters

So in TFA they leant hard on the old stories, because they had no good idea, and then in TLJ they leant hard on their new ideas to be original, possibly forgetting that their own ideas were shit

Yeah it does, retard.

The exhaust port is representative of the Empire's hubris. A fatal flaw, but one that is overlooked, not because some idiot hid it, but because the Empire believes itself too strong to be challenged, so said flaw is irrelevant. That fatal flaw is exploited, and the mighty Empire is laid low by a simple farmboy who believes in something greater than himself.

This is far more thematically poignant than "DUDE OUR GUY ON THE INSIDE ENGINEERED A WEAK POINT LMAO"

what did it do to her anyway

Obi-wan's ghost told him on Dagobah, along with the "I told you the truth, FROM A CERTAIN POINT OF VIEW"

Because sequels to self-contained fairy tale-like stories that end in a "and they lived happily ever after" are a terrible idea. Especially if the sequels destroy the "and they lived happily ever after" in the most depressing ways.

But then again you have so-called Star Wars fans who have never recognized that the OT is a fairy tale that ends in a "and they lived happily ever after". So, it's hopeless.

obi wan tells him he has a sister then luke has a moment of clarity and realizes it's leia.

>Because sequels to self-contained fairy tale-like stories that end in a "and they lived happily ever after" are a terrible idea. Especially if the sequels destroy the "and they lived happily ever after" in the most depressing ways

They just should have made the ST about the zany adventures of the Solo kids in the Unknown Regions or some shit with a cameo of Jedi Master Uncle Like showing up to absolutely wreck shit.

Yeah, the small farm boy believes he can make a shot NOBODY else on the assault could make, still a massive accomplishment given the challenge. And yes it was overlooked, whether or not someone placed it wouldn't change the hubris angle at all. They are still so cocky because, while they may not know what the flaw is, they know the rebels have the Death Star plans and STILL are confident that they can squash them.