He's only read recommended runs instead of every appearance of the character

>he's only read recommended runs instead of every appearance of the character

>reading over 60 years of crap

Why? His best shit has never even been in comic form, the television shows and movies shit on everything else.

I've read almost every appearance of Iron Fist.
There's definitely some appearances on team books I've missed out on though.

You try reading all of Hawkman's appearances.

>reading comics

>reading comics with "runs" and "appearances"

> not reading the labels on his themed shampoos

>He reads for characters instead of creators.

>being a self admittin characterfag
Wew

should I also read any comic that has batman as a minuscule cameo in the background of some page?

dumbass

>not reading graffiti smeared with dried shit in a dirty bathroom in a pub frequented by the dregs of society

>he's over 12 years old and he still hasn't learned to follow authors and artists, not characters

You have no one to blame but yourself for all the time you've wasted.

>all these normies

>not being a normie

Alright Sup Forums a question. This seems a good place to pose it. I want to get into comics. Thing is i've tried picking up scans of some of the ones I'm interested in, and I've run into a little snag. See if I go all the way back to the beginning well quite frankly they are absolute dog shit, but if I try and hop on at a later point I end up confused and missing parts of the story. I find myself at an impasse. How do you deal with it Sup Forums?

Don't read comics, they're shit.

What are you doing here then? And i've read several comics that I have enjoyed, I'm just trying to break into the big two and some of the more iconic characters is all.

>I've read comics
>that I enjoyed

Bakka dessu sempai

There's nothing wrong with following characters, you can even become a fan of someone you didn't know about because of it.

I wouldn't know who Lemire was if I didn't read JLU, and i'm sure guys like King have some new fans who are going to follow the now because of their work on popular books like Batman.

The big characters with 50+ years of stories will inevitably have specifically written jumping on points later down the line. And Capes are episodic anyway.

>he thinks the part he read is the end all be all of what the character is

This is especially true for old characters who went through lots of phases. Or for the people who only watch the movies, and are convinced that wikipedia articles give them an idea of who the character is.

Every time someone else's sentence starts with "____ is supposed to be like this" I brace for bullshit.

Jumping off points really don't do it for me. Because inevitably you are coming in in the middle of the story.

>frankly they are absolute dog shit
Get good books.

Are you stupid?

So you're saying people SHOULD read All Star Batman & Robin?

While I comprehend that comics are by their very nature episodic, the fact of the matter is that previous issues and story lines inform the actions of the character in the newest story. And they'll often reference previous story lines. Taken out of context things just don't make sense. I must ask if you are daft sir, if you cannot comprehend that.

Dude, you're focusing too much on the idea of a 50-year old continuous story when these characters don't even age and their histories are continually being tweaked (or even completely reset).

Have you read the comics from the sixties? I'm trying, and it is sometimes literally painful.

>And they'll often reference previous story lines
Any worthwhile comicbook will have an editors note saying which issue it happened in, so if you really care you can look it up yourself.
If that's too much for you, man the fuck up and read whatever you're interested in from the start.

>implying they got better

Damn right, son. Everybody should read the Goddamn Batman and his faithful students, the Fucking Batgirl and Dick "Retarded" Grayson (age 12).

> waiting for the shit to dry

>See if I go all the way back to the beginning well quite frankly they are absolute dog shit

You should've know Lemire from Essex County you immesurable god-forsaken pleb

>he still doesn't get ASBARTBW

trying to read all the Hank Pym stuff. Gotta grab his Tales to Astonish issues from the library.

I have, and yes they're really wordy, and odd, but to say they're bad is just plain wrong.

Your shitting me right?

>they're really wordy
Am I really that much of an outlier in enjoying the wordiness?

I don't mind that they are verbose, they just tend to be ridiculous and simple.

I can understand that.
It's just tiring having people disregard them because they don't want to read a comicbook.

I've only so much time to devote to leasure. I know there are/will be books I will enjoy, but working my way through the preliminary books to get to them is a bit of a chore is all.

I can understand that too, even though it makes you a filthy casual.
I, however, am I a NEET with more time than most, so it's not an issue to spend time enjoying comicbooks to the fullest.

I'm sorry we can't all dedicate our lives to comic books. Some of us have responsibilities.

And that's why you'll eternally remain casual.

You should probably reconsider your expectations when it comes to this.

It's like complaining that silent movies from decades ago don't have good special effects or have a different narration and treatments than what you're used to.

Basically you don't go read 2016 Flash and Golden age Flash expecting the same thing, because they were not meant to be. It doesn't make the old ones bad. It just makes them different, older, outdated maybe, but definitely not to your sensibility.

I can live with that.

Fair point.

As long as you're not the kind to read a few things here and there and act like you know absolutely everything especially typical in X-Men threads then I hope you enjoy what time you can manage to put in.

I know better than to make unsubstantiated claims. I'd just like to understand it all, though that's probably a pipe dream. Still, given enough time I can work through the back log eventually.

>I know better than to make unsubstantiated claims
I'm glad to hear that.
Common sense is a rarity.

>I'd just like to understand it all, though that's probably a pipe dream
That depends entirely upon what you mean by "it all".
Everything from one character?
Fairly easy, unless they have well over 50 years of work, but still doable.
Everything from one company or multiple?
That's a pipe dream even for me.

Just read what interests you and go from there.
There's nothing wrong with not knowing it all.

This. Comics are a hobby. No need to read everything. it's not like you're going to get anything substantial for your life out of it.

As for the people who feel lost, I suggest not paying any mind to the stuff you missed. The things you need to know are generally explained in the book itself.

For example, i read Robin Son of Batman recently. very fun book, and it explains fairly well who Damian is, and what he did before. Sure I didn't get EVERYTHING since I didn't read the previous stuff, but there was enough to understand and enjoy everything in the story.

The only annoying part was how there was suddenly an issue dedicated to a war against the Talons, and I couldn't give less of a shit.

Quality advice, user.

Can anyone give me some good suggestions for what to read for spider man, the x men, and the teen titans then? Yea I know, normy and mainstream as fuck.

>spider man
You mean "Spider-Man", gotta remember the hyphen.
I'd recommend just starting from the beginning.
Alternatively, Ultimate Spider-Man.

>X-Men
Claremont's run.
And Uncanny X-Force

>teen titans
I don't read them, but I'm sure someone else can fill you in.

>normy and mainstream as fuck.
Who cares? Read what you want dude. Only assholes would judge you for it.

I like every SPider-Man story illustrated by Chris Bachalo. Fun adventures that go from fighting mayan gods, to stopping a mob member.
The main interest in this is the episodic nature, and the feel of a saturday morning cartoon with more blood without being trashy. It's in Amazing Spider-Man starting from 500 something. The Wikipedia page has the info.

If, like me, you like self contained stories in a sort of graphic novel format, I hear SPider-Man Blue is good. Haven't read it though. I read Daredevil Yellow and enjoyed it a lot.

Other than that, Ultimate Spider-Man was great for me.

Actually did jist get scans of spiderman and start from the beginning. It's kind of odd. It was really good, until he got his own dedicated comic. If that makes any sense. I mean I've only read like ten issues so far maybe, just finished the one where he fights doom, but it was a lot better for the first few. Also, and i would never have expected this but it actually makes perfect sense, Peter is kind of a raging cunt and the origin is rather different than the one I'm used to. I mean, largely the same, but subtle yet significant differences abound.

>I mean, largely the same, but subtle yet significant differences abound.
Yeah, it kinda joins what I said earlier about how everyone thinks they know who a character is, but never actually read the books.

Spidey changes a lot over the years, but his start was not a soft gentle or cool nerd guy in high school. he was actually a huge asshole and very arrogant. Which by the way is even more realistic, because most bullied teens are actually suppressing arrogant and jerky behavior.
I talk from experience. I managed to let go of that, but I know at least one person who hasn't, and it's pathetic as hell to hear the ramblings about high school, and how she is better than those assholes. She's 30

Cought me by surprise. Did not expect that. Don't know how I feel about it. I mean it makes perfect sense, but I don't know that I'll ever be able to think of spider-man in the same way.

That flying chick he kept from waxing those construction moguls ever show up again? Or was she a one off?

>Cought me by surprise. Did not expect that. Don't know how I feel about it. I mean it makes perfect sense, but I don't know that I'll ever be able to think of spider-man in the same way.
If it makes you feel any better, he grows up and changes. A lot.

Adult Spidey is a much better person. Loves his fellow man way more, and, if it's worth anything, he becomes friends with Flash Thompson, who changes a lot too.

In fact, their friendship is a great example of how much they grew and evolved.

Damn, I need to read Agent Venom again.

I figured as much. I'm just wondering how long it'll be before morw characters I recognize show up. I mean we have flash, jonah, a few villians, but most of the names I ascosciate with spider-man have yet to make their appearances.

I also dont have much free time but I still make time for comics. Just download each weeks release, put them on your phone then while on break or times youre waiting read a few, i work sometimes close to 60 hours a week and i drive an hour and 45 mins to get to the worksite and im still on top of all DC, Darkhorse and Imagine releases

Isn't that the point of recommending stuff? Not too many people want to go through everything, and would rather just have what's considered the best. It does suck when certain underrated runs get ignored.

It really depends on the people, i know a lot of local fans where i live give recommendations for squirrel girl and hellcat

This only works with truly good characters, such as Hellboy.

Where is this gif from?