Kubo and the Two Strings Thread

Sorry for being late. Can we have a comfy thread about "Kubo and the Two Strings"?
It's visuals were magnificent, but the story... The story of this movie was kinda meh (could have been worked on more), but it was good nonetheless.
What do you think?

I'm completely sick of this being the party line on Kubo and could do without another thread on it. That's what I think.

>good visuals but meh story
Every Kubo and Euro animated film thread ever.

I hope the next movie is in a more modern setting. Laika's better movies weren't set way in the past.

Honestly not that sure what problems people had with Kubo's story beyond "the finale didn't go how I want it" and "I could see the twists coming" like this movie wasn't aimed for children.

I liked the story AND the visuals, fight me

Kubo a qt

but seriously name one animated movie with an outstanding story

Coraline

Monkey: Glad you could make it, Beetle
Beetle: Watch your tone with me, girl! You may save Kubo’s life, but I’m still superior as a father.
Monkey: As if I could forget. Listen, Beetle, there is something about his eyes you should know. Oh no, it’s too late! This place may look fine now, but it’s a matter of time before the Sisters come.
Beetle: What?
Monkey: The Sisters must be attacked.
Beetle: How can you even consider that? There's got to be some other way.
Monkey: Damn it, Beetle. As his caring mother, I order you to attack the Sisters.
Beetle: You are not the head yet, girl. Nor would I obey that command if you were!
Monkey: Then I must consider this an act of divorce.
Beetle: Divorce? Have you lost your mind, Monkey?
Monkey: Have I? Beetle, by my right of succession and sovereignty of my family, I hereby relieve you from your command and take Kubo from you.
Kubo: Monkey, you can't just...
Monkey: It's done! Things that I will use to protect Kubo, will be taken by me. Beetle... get out of my sight.
Beetle: You've just crossed a terrible threshold, Monkey.
Monkey: Kubo?
Kubo: I'm sorry, Monkey. I can't watch you do this.

Wait that sounds awfully familiar-

Oh….

I see what you did there.

"This thread has been archived"in 3...2...1...

I think that the visual element is far more important than plot in a film like this and that a lot of storytelling is done through the visuals.

bump

Story was simple but it had real emotional heft and maturity. I was moved desu.
Princess Mononoke
April and the Extraordinary World
Zootopia

Here is a challenge! How do we fix the story of Kubo?

>How do we fix the story of Kubo?
Give more time between the deaths of Monkey and Beetle and his arrival back in his hometown. I watched the movie a second time and it didn't bother me as much, but I still think that it was rather abrupt. Some time in remorse and gaining some resolve would've helped with the impact.

Then again, perhaps that is the point? The final fight does seem to involve a lot of Kubo's frustration, after all.

The other big change I might recommend is a bit more focus on the conclusion. It just seems like it comes out of nowhere. I mean, if more of the story was about redeeming and/or the story showed how tragic the sisters were, then "redeeming" the grandfather into human would've made more sense. If there was more time spent showing how futile it was with all the fighting, it would've make more sense as well. Instead, we see everyone dying a noble death and so the ending, with the grandfather being "redeemed" and given a human life, just feels disconnected.

Sure, Kubo's connection with his family is important and that is stressed, but that is what allows him to change his grandfather. It doesn't have much bearing on the decision to do so (especially after the death of both of his aunts).

Why do the Moon King and Hanzo hate each other? Civil war?

I don't think it was touched upon. Hanzo was searching for the armor in order to defeat the Moon King, which is where the story in Kubo ultimately begins. It's based on a legend and so the legend might have something more to that story, but old mythic tales might just have no reason or inconsistent reasons.

I doubt it was a civil war, though. Unless Hanzo's clan had some reason to be fighting gods, it was likely something personal involved. The Moon King, after all, really only had his immediate family as a "clan" to fight again.

Why did he want to defeat the Moon King?

Why is this thread so god damn slow? It's 3 hours and number of posts is less than 20. I'm so fucking late.
Can you elaborate the legend?

>Make a movie about papercraft magic
>Final boss uses generic magic armor and zero paper magic

The executives tore this shit apart I assure you.

>Kubo a qt
kek, they actually sculpted Kubo's buttcheeks

Spoilering just in case.

/underated

While the story was pretty disconnected I did still enjoy it and liked all the characters.
Probably doesn't hurt that I'm a sucker for stories about families.

This sounds pretty good.