Moomins Project

So close! We might just make it. So the Moomin crowdfunder has 4.5 days left. Yesterday was unusually good for progress. If this keeps up, the project might just succeed!

indiegogo.com/projects/moomin-animation--3/x/7607331#/

New Moomin's series coming. Got funding from Finland's YLE. But this crowd-funding project aims to not allow the new Moomin's series to stoop to crappy Flash animation, and instead be free to use the best of 2D and 3D integration to capture the original feel of artist's artwork.

I've been tracking this for days, and I thought it was going to fall 5% short of its goal, but if they keep getting about 2.5% goal contributions per day, they will make it! It's going to be very close. Spread the word and boost the signal.

I'd make memes of the moomins but I'm terrible at that. So Moomins thread? I've asked every time and no one knows where to get the original Finnish dub of the cartoons with English subtitles....

Bump

Bump

Don't know shit about Moomin but new animation is always interesting to me

Man what happened to the polish fags that used to post in Moomin threads and shit on that one creepy ice monster all the time.

I'd really like to support this but I don't get my paycheck until the 24th and have literally no money. Fuck.

Well, a bump at least and an excuse to post this again. Hope they get there.

It's a cartoon that originates from Finland but has been done a few times over the decades. They farmed out the franchise to Japan in 1990s and that produced some lovely animation (but the stories deviated from the canon source material a bit with characterizations). Pic related.

It's also had a few movies over time. I personally didn't like the pure CG ones.

I would recommend you check out Moomins on the Riviera if you want an introduction. It's not amazing but recent and there's a good English dub. The comics are also available in English and are pretty chill.

The groke?

You can always promote it on social media. That's what I've been doing. (And can you support it by using a credit card? Delayed billing / payments and all.)

Yeah I think that's the one.

>You can always promote it on social media
Aye, I think I'll do that. Some of my relatives love Moomins but I doubt they're aware of it.

No CC, I made the decision to avoid credit ever again a few years back when I got quite heavily in debt, but that's enough blogposting.

you would have to raise 5k per day, sorry but is not gonna happen

I'm hoping for a handful of very big donations in the last couple of days. It happens.

Either way, I made my donation. I might donate more later after I doublecheck how much spending money I have this month.

eh, ive seen people shell 20k over more stupid kickstarters, you only need one rich nostalgiafag

>someone drops $1000 on the "See your art in the series" pledge in the final hour
>this pushes them over the line
>it's Shadman
How would you feel?

Oh man I'm gonna have to back this. Just wish it was on Kickstarter instead of Indiegogo, KS at least makes some attempt at protecting backers from outright scams but IGG doesn't give a flying fuck.

Estático

True but I don't think this one is a scam

Bump

I don't know much about this, and I haven't even seen Moomins in Riveria yet, but it looks hype from the OP. I was just thinking, I saw someone saying they don't want their stories tarnished when they're dead by someone else, and stuff like that is kinda proof that's not a big concern.

>I don't know much about this, and I haven't even seen Moomins in Riveria yet, but it looks hype from the OP.

If you don't much about this, then how can you know it's hype?

>they don't want their stories tarnished when they're dead by someone else

That's not a very valid claim. There are plenty of stories left in the comics to tell that haven't been animated. And Tove didn't oversee everything that was done in the several series and the movies. Moomins on the Riviera happened decade(s) after her death and stuck pretty faithfully to the comics and all. If anything that should be proof that it can be done reasonably well.

Basically what the OP is saying is, this crowd-funder is there to help the animation team not have to use ugly flash. Sup Forums whines frequently about the lack of classical animation techniques or good modern techniques, and this project is proposing doing just that sort of thing.

It's not necessary for the new series to move forward, but it is an important option if we want some nice visual quality from it.

serious question:

how the fuck do you actually read the moomin comics?

I find mini novels, I find picturebooks for little kids, I find all sorts of shit but the actual comics I want to read, the originals, are impossible to fucking find anywhere. Can you download them?

>If you don't much about this, then how can you know it's hype?
Cause I like to go in blind. And hype is hyperbolic, it's a long time coming so I'm not getting all hyped up.

If you know someone you can trust, have them donate on your behalf and then pay your friend back.

They raised 4.2k yesterday, which was unusually high for one day. Highest I've seen since watching it. So... there is still a slim chance it will happen. I still want to try to promote it.

Bump of Flumpf

i ain't a moomins fan but this looks like the shit, i think i'll have to make a contribution since it'd be a real shame to see this fail

Easiest way is to look up the hardcover collections by Drawn and Quarterly, those books reprint the stories in chronological order. The books have a specific, easily recognisable look with that Moomin logo on a black background. It's pretty annoying that they don't mention on their front cover which volume they are, though; you have to flip a couple of pages into the book in order to find the volume number. The first book in their series looks like pic related. I think the first five volumes contain the comics written and drawn by Tove Jansson (the original creator), and all the remaining ones have stories by her brother Lars.

There are random scans from the comics here and there on the internet, but I don't think anyone has scanned the full books.

Is it for real this time? They were already about to reach deadline some time ago and we had threads about it, but then they added more time into their campaign. Can they do that again or is this deadline permanent?

>The comics are also available in English and are pretty chill.

WHERE. I've been looking for them for so long.

bump