Nightwing 19 Preview

> Dr. Hurt is back. The longtime Batman foe and the mastermind behind the events of Grant Morrison’s and Tony Daniel’s Batman RIP has returned with a new plan to wreck havoc and it all begins with Nightwing. With Damian Wayne in Hurt’s clutches, Nightwing must come face to face with his dark shadow to save Gotham’s future.
Check out the Comics Beat’s exclusive preview of Nightwing #19 after the jump!

“Nightwing Must Die” part four! As Dick’s worst nightmares are realized, and the demons of his past come to destroy his loved ones, he must face his own dark reflection. He must face…the Deathwing!

>comicsbeat.com/preview-nightwing-19-sees-the-return-of-batman-rips-greatest-villain/

Variant

So is the great beast supposed to be darkseid or satan?

I really like this page btw

Just to be clear Grants Hurt died horribly right?

I thought he did, but hey it would'nt be surprising to find out he could cheat death.

Gassed and left inside a coffin for all eternity. But according to this he died at some point and went to a hell beyond hell, and then he crawled back.

I'm a bit upset Dr. Hurt is back at all. I liked the ambiguity to his character and what he symbolized in the story.

Now he's just another immortal wonk.

I don't mind as much since it's got something to do with dick and Damian and seems to tie back to morrisons batman. If he showed up in kings batman for an 'I am hurt' story arc then I'd be annoyed

Well...Morrison's run had the Joker gas him and bury him alive. But it was always unclear what exactly Hurt is...he's either Bruce's ancestor Thomas Wayne fused with the Hyper-Adapter, a living Apokoliptian meta-weapon aka Barbatos or literally the Devil. Or Bruce's father Thomas Wayne. Or Bruce's long lost older brother Thomas Wayne, Jr. Or some random military doctor.

Anyway, the point is it's not clear if Hurt can die at all, though I agree with that it's a dumb idea to bring him back. The mystery and symbolism of the character was fun.

and not only is the question of what he WAS important, the question of is he even still that thing anymore?

Seeley did a good job with Pyg, so I have faith in him. Let's hope he manages to keep that aura of satanic imagery, and undefined identities.

Nightwing is a bird now apparently.

but he did an awful job with Lord Death Man

hasn't he always been a birb

It's a rad image though. This book in general has had really good imagery with the exception of the issue or two at the start of bloodhaven when everyone was really pale.

I don't believe so. The bird connection only happened in the animated cartoon series with them putting a bird like symbol on his suit. Rebirth is the first time they have made the Nightwing costume have that beak on the costume design.

In the comics Nightwing has been that Kryptonian legend and in the past has been depicted as a dragon like creature.

>my first nightwing issue

Yes, yes, yes, the Nightwing is a dragon like kryptonian legendary creature
Dick is a birb

When has Nightwing been shown as a bird before in the comics?

Robin is birb

Except he didn't

Robin isn't Nightwing.

dick is robin
dick is birb

Is Dick a better Batman than Bruce?

Badou, who cares

no

Hurt annihilated Dick when he was batman, Bruce turned his plan on its head and defeated him. I think he even remarks how It was foolish of Dick to consider himself equal to a Wayne.

I clearly do. I hate them trying to make Nightwing into a dumb bird. King and Seeley tried it with that awful Owls connection. I don't want any more Owls shit.

But you want to deal Kryptonian mythology instead

Yeah, I like how Dick got the Nightwing name from his relationship to Superman. Having more ties to places outside of Batman only helps his character.

Dick is a better father to Damian than Bruce but Bruce is a lot more paranoid and devoted to vigilantism to the point he's almost a machine which makes him the better batman.

Can this be the cover when the trade comes out this is easily my favourite page in the series so far.

But that's still canon. Whether or not the Kryptonian legend is a bird or a dragon or a fucking elephant is irrelevant

Not when they've tried to tie the bird symbolism with Nightwing with his history with the Owls. I'd prefer the dragon honestly so he can move further away from that if I had to pick.

That was just the Owls talking crap

It's been mentioned in Grayson and Nightwing every time Superman shows up that Dick got the name from a Kryptonian legend

Up for Dick

This and Deathstroke are the only things I even read from the Big 2 anymore.

You should check out Super Sons, at least. Or New Super-Man

Wow.

No, this needs to be the cover

yes, absolutely

They won't put a variant on the trade. It'll probably be that first one of Dick and Damian. Or maybe the Dr. hurt cover.

Dick is a better man than Bruce hands down.

However, he is not a better Batman.

>Hurt doesn't have the permagrin
Ruined.
He came back in the future and bought Damian's soul and encouraged the president to drop the bomb on Gotham to cleanse it of Joker-zombies. His face was also permanently frozen into a smile.

When will Shawn fuck off and die?

Shawn is waifu material I hope she stays around for ever. At the very least she keeps Barbara from trying to jump on dicks dick like she has about ten other guys these past two years

I hope.

No, he was shown alive in the #666 future nuking Gotham.

oh great another morrisson character ruined by some other hack CANT WAIT

can't they just leave him alone? he did his part and bringing him back cheapens him and the other stories he's been in

It only cheapens him if he's mishandled. So far we don't know anything so whose to say this doesn't turn out being used appropriately.

Every time Seeley used a Morrison character it ended up being terrible.

Both Damian and pyg have been handled well. Pyg especially has been handled better by seeley than anyone since Morrison. Rather than instantly write of his hurt give it a chance because with a character like hurt there has to be a reason for bringing him back

i've read nightwing and it's ok, but nowhere near good enough to do justice to doctor hurt

it's not even about the writing, every time a big bad guy comes back and fails again he becomes more of a joke

even fucking doomsday is a joke these days

Hurt was intentionally a joke in Batman and Robin Must Die, it was RIP as farce.

>first time he comes back since Morrison b+r
>makes him more of a joke
We don't even know what hurts plan is yet so we don't know if he will fail and even if he does he won't become a joke because he couldn't beat Damian and dick