Falling Down

>I'm the Bad Guy? How'd that happen? I did everything they told me to...

youtube.com/watch?v=hLmuF-0P4tk

Did this scene resonate with anyone else? Such a great movie.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=8y8PwiTCoh8&ab_channel=oilerfanatic1
youtu.be/x45zUUoV5wI
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

bad movie

just watch Targets or Taxi Driver or La Haine

/thread

>trashes a small store
>blows up a construction site
>threatens innocent people in the fast food place
>threatens a family
>threatens his wife
The guy is a fucking loser, and his half-realized rage causes more damage than anything that happens to him
Yes, he's the bad guy. Lashing out and blaming it on other people

>La Haine

I've seen it and it's good but it isn't very similar.

>Taxi Driver
This is the superior film to deal with similar themes, I agree, but that doesn't mean Falling Down is bad.

>Targets
Never heard of it but sounds interesting, thanks will try to check it out.

He's a tragic hero of sorts, that doesn't make him "bad."

>a tragic hero
He's an asshole, no better than the gang bangers. Thinks violence will solve all his problems, and of course it's everybody else's fault.

are you me

>He's an asshole

He's an asshole because he's trying to live up to his idea of what society expects of him, but he doesn't know how to do that organically so he forces it artificially. You see that with the home movies he watches, where he's trying to be the "model," ideal father but nothing goes right and he doesn't know how to react when things don't go as planned. So he lashes out in response. It's a pretty good character study of frustrated expectations and imagined obligations and what that does to one's psyche.

He also is just one manifestation of that in the film, there are at least two others that take a non-violent position to being frustrated in their life goals (Prendergast and the "Not Economically Viable" Guy). Notice that the NEV Guy is wearing the exact same outfit as DFENS, and yet he isn't shooting up fast food restaurants. The film is more intelligent than you give it credit.

Is Targets the Peter bognodov movie?

No, he's just an asshole. His wife tells him how to be an ideal - or at least better - father and he just ignores her; if he really was trying he'd be accepting the advice. Everyone they ask about him describes him as terrifying, and though he doesn't really come off that way in the movie (aside from the atypical violence caused by his break), clearly all the people who knew him thought he was just one bad day away from snapping.

Except his wife is shown to be a liar, and even the police don't take her seriously since she's lied about how violent he was.

If he was such an asshole, why would they show the dog being happy that he's back home and sad when he dies? If you're trying to portray a character as evil, the easiest way to do that is make them abusive towards animals, that didn't happen in this movie.

The part with his mother is confusing, I'll give you that. Almost like they put that in as an afterthought since he would be too sympathetic otherwise.

>the police don't take her seriously since she's lied about how violent he was.
I thought they didn't take her seriously because she says he ISN'T violent.

Yeah, I guess that was more the issue. Honestly, the wife seemed less sympathetic than Michael Douglas in the movie.

>Thinks violence will solve all his problems
Nothing else seemed to solve his problems. Do you think he would've gotten to see his daughter that day if he weren't violent?

>Do you think he would've gotten to see his daughter that day if he weren't violent?

Do you think him seeing his daughter that day would solve his problems?

It sure did. Absolutely love this film.
>sure was hot today wasn't it?

Daily reminder that D-Fens did literally nothing wrong. Yes, he's a psycho, and he didn't deserve a restraining order simply because he creeped out his wive with his behavior.

That's not my point at all. He isn't violent by nature. He was violent because all the other options kept failing.

Clearly a woman here. Or a soygoy.

Oedipus wasn't "bad" because he unintentionally murdered his father and slept with his mother, you unmitigated pleb. Understand the fundamentals of art and drama before you criticize it.

He's literally pointing a loaded weapon at innocent people in that picture, including children, with his finger on the trigger. But he's not a bad guy!

Just because he's freaking out and has terrible trigger discipline doesn't mean he's a bad guy. He also later apologizes to everyone when he accidentally shoots into the ceiling. He's literally never been in a situation like this and doesn't know how to respond or properly control his emotions, a theme portrayed throughout the movie.

With no malacious intent

>La Haine

Unwatchable in 2017.

>look at me! i'm a special snowflake

youtube.com/watch?v=8y8PwiTCoh8&ab_channel=oilerfanatic1

why do i hear laura palmer's theme in the scene at 2 min

Siskel comes off as a pretty big asshole in this clip.

Only Taxi Driver really relates.

Anyway, here's an idea, what are some lesser known films in the Angry White Guy Snaps genre?

youtu.be/x45zUUoV5wI

La Haine is pro-globalist shit.
Muh oppressed ghetto-rats.

His problem was not being able to see his daughter.

So...yes.

well its true

He's not entirely wrong. It's an incredibly naive movie and feels really juvenile in light of how reality outstripped it.

Reminds me a bit of the Boyz In The Hood vs Menace II Society debate.

>"the high number of killings in fast food restaurants lately"
americans why

This. Like when he's holding the little girl's hand too tight then sees his blood and freaks out because he thinks it's he hurt her

La Haine has a lower class instead of middle class perspective but it's still an angry white guy movie. the main character pretends to be travis bickle in the bathroom mirror and demonizes all cops and anyone with more money than him and looks for someone to kill so he can feel like a big man. unless you take vinz as the movie's moral centre id say its pretty comaprable

No, what it's showing is that when gang bangers act out it's business as usual.
People have adapted and accept it as "part and parcel", same as all the other shit he
rants about and encounters. People have accepted the "invisible script" that runs their lives.

The second a white collar white guy acts out after losing his job and family, it's a problem for society
and the only solution is to put him down. He's too dangerous to be allowed to continue speaking out.
He attacks the "invisible script". Even the comfy script laid out for "angry white men" that he must be
a white suprememccist or nazi.

The guy isn't allowed to have an identity outside of his assigned role as shlub tax payer.

He was supposed to suicide. That's what middle class white guys are meant to do when they fail out in
the workplace and relationships, when they're too angry or fixed in their ways (the cop was a pussy through
the movie to his wife, was going to retire because she didn't want him out from under her controlling behavior
anymore, and his experience makes him put her in her place). White guys are meant to give in and surrender.

He rejected it, and made society do it rather than keep playing along with the lies.

>white people

>His wife tells him how to be an ideal - or at least better - father and he just ignores her;

Well, that seals it. He didn't listen to his wife.
He needs to be put down like a dog.

Burger shortage.

virgin detected

Good post. NEV guy even gets carted off in a police car doesn't he?

Technically it did. He got to see his daughter as one last task he could achieve, and he got an ending to his suffering.
Getting himself killed by a guy who was in a position to at least sympathize with him on some level, if not actually
agree with his actions (he was pissed about his partner getting shot, but still played fair with DFENS).
Better than eating a bullet or being gunned down by SWAT or something.
Prenderghast even stays being a cop after the encounter.

>La Haine
OMG LIVING IN FRANCE IS SO HORRIBLE! THE CLASS DIVIDE SINGLES OUT IMMIGRANTS! YOU CAN'T EVEN IMAGINE WHAT IT'S LIKE TO STRUGGLE AS AN IMMIGRANT! EVERY DAY IS FILLED WITH THE SAME SULLEN FACES, THE SAME DILAPIDATED BUILDINGS, AND THE SAME HOPELESS CYCLE! LOOK HOW THE CHARACTERS FILL THEIR TIME BY ENGAGING IN DEGENERATE PRACTICES LIKE RIOTING AND SELLING NARCOTICS! THIS ISN'T THEIR FAULT BECAUSE THE SYSTEM KEEPS IMMIGRANTS DOWN! HOWEVER, SINCE THESE IMMIGRANTS ARE ALSO """"""LE FRENCH"""""", THEY ALSO HAVE A JOIE DE VIVRE THAT UPPERCLASS WHITE EUROPEANS WILL NEVER UNDERSTAND! LOOK HOW THE YOUNG MEN BREAKDANCE IN THE PROJECTS, AND THE CAMERA LINGERS ON HIM FOR MINUTES AT A TIME! IT IS JUXTAPOSING THE BEAUTY OF HIS GIFT WITH THE SQUALOR OF THE CHARACTERS' LIVING CONDITIONS! THIS IS VERY DEEP STUFF AND I WOULDN'T BE SURPRISED IF YOU COME AWAY FROM THIS MOVIE WITH A LITTLE PERSPECTIVE!

that's a pretty good analysis

>posts image of the "What's wrong with this picture" scene.

Literally the central thesis of the movie. He essentially holds a public forum in a McDonalds about what we're being sold, vs what we're getting. The idea is that if a middle class, white collar, white guy can't say this shit without getting gunned down, who can?

It's an extremely mixed social make up in that restaurant. He's not being "racial" at any point in the movie.
The guy that triggers him in this scene is that slimy condescending white kid.
Happily empowered by the authority invested in him by the corporate system.

are we supposed to pretend they have good lives in the ghetto?

you're putting a lot of words in the mouth of a film which is actually pretty safe and nonideological--
the main characters are not involved in the rioting for a reason. there's also only one throwaway scene with breakdancing.

>Thinks violence will solve all his problems,
Did you not hear him say "I'm past the point of no return"? He wasn't under any delusions that what he was doing would improve his situation. He just didn't want to die away quietly like society expects of his type.

I agree with Siskel. The main characters weren't developed enough, the cliches were annoying and the funny parts were not funny.

Wasn't his job that he lost at a defence corporation or something? I feel like there might be some extra social/political commentary in there about the USA losing a sense of purpose due to the end of the Cold War or something.

He's obviously not supposed to be a good guy - the whole point of the last part of the movie was that he wasn't a normal guy who was driven to madness by unreasonable circumstances, he just had been a psychopath all along and you're meant to question how you yourself had assumed he was the good guy and sympathised with his clearly insane acts all day
I mean the first thing he does is smash up a store because he thinks the prices are too high - that's not a normal escalation

t. didn't watch the movie