Do video games offer better stories than big budget movies?

Do you think by now it is save to say that - just from the perspective of telling a good story - big budget movies are down on the level of video games?

I really feel like the last three big movies I watched (Wonder Woman, Justice League and Star Wars) were all so weak - even braindead pew-pew-bing-bing-wahoo titles like CoD or Zelda seem to offer better, more interesting storylines.

Basically everything else does at this point.

Both are shitty genre fiction, video games are longer so it's possible to expand your plot. It also allows for better characterization.

skyrim and fallout 4 sure had a good,compelling and interactive stories

>anything bethesda after morrowind

Well I mean at least the storylines are less convoluted.
And new vegas isnt half bad.

>new vegas
not bethesda

>big budget movies are down on the level of video games
Yes

hurr I don't like morrowind because it's old and your character is slow and you can't hit stuff that you hit and you have to read durrr

The stories of video games typically are pretty bad. Even the best vidya has to offer barely touches the best of literature or film, but that's not a bad thing, vidya are better at other things like world design and building. I wish developers stopped trying to compare themselves to movies and make their games cinematic, it's hurting the industry and innovation.

Sup Forums is a better board than Sup Forums at this point all we discuss is capeshit and star wars 90% of threads for the past few days have been nothing but star wars and shit Sup Forums bait

Of course. Video games have been telling more compelling stories than movies for decades. The issue is that people making games have no idea about direction.

Movies will forever be crippled by the fact that your audience can only sit still for 2 hours.
Books and video games don't have this problem because you can do it for however long you want. We've learned to chunk those stories and keep track of them through our daily lives.
You can't do that with movies. If you mention something 2 hours ago people will forget. Tv series are better for story. Netflix has the right idea. Honestly i think good story in movies is gone in favour of instant gratification or aesthetic or emotional movies. But they can't really have good story anymore

At this point in Hollywood expect Portal to become a movie

not yet
but they can and will as soon as we get adults writing stories instead of manbabies

the best videogames do not come close to the best films, but they're comparable to capeshit

But I like morrowind you donut
read that again

I dunno man, Space Quest series was on par with a lot of comedy movies.

>Even the best vidya has to offer barely touches the best of literature or film

I think you meant to say the weakest of literature or film.
But that is wrong. There are lots of really shit books out there, you wouldn't believe.

That being said, I geniunely believe that the best of literature will never be beaten by anything, so it's probably a bad comparison in the first place.

digits don't lie. but what would be considered the best vidya story ever told? There are so damn many, and a lot of em got fucked because the game was shit but the story was amazing.

What a grand and intoxicating innocence.
How could you be so naive?

Grim Fandango.

Ehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
At least we discuss things here, put it that way.

"No!"

>Visit Sup Forums
>3rd thread
>It's a big discussion thread without saying shit like reddit or kino

The good thing about some video games is that they can generate their own stories through the gameplay. Movies will never be able to do it.

depends on the movie/game. I remember dem metal gears more than I remember marvel trite, despite playing them long before that

Making a story longer doesn't necessarily make it better. Film and TV are both good formats.

You do know no one on Sup Forums actually plays videogames, right?

They definitely play more than Sup Forums watches film

no but tv shows do

Far Cry 3 comes to mind, the delivery feels like out of a movie but much more compelling

Shit villain. Absolute shit-tier.

Ive been thinking about what it means for something to have a good story or something to be 'well written'

does it need to be fresh/novel/entertaining
does it need to be moving/emotional
does it need to deal with 'real issues'
does it need to provoke thought
does it need to simply follow logical rules and 'make sense'
does it simply need to be elegant like a poem?

or does a truly great story need to blend all of the above?

Yeah, sure. Seems like you should go post about it on Sup Forums with your patrician brothers and never post here again.

>best of literature

examples please

Please no.
If you asked me whats one perfect franchise, id say portal, dont let them ruin this

TES games never had a good story, its the worldbuilding and the lore thats interesting.

>get high on acid
>lock yourself in a dark room with nothing but cigarettes for three days
>rip off Hindu myths and shove them in your D&D ripoff
>nerds praise you as some mad genius visionary
Sasuga MK

Shakespeare, the odyssey/ulysses, greek myths, Plato. The majority of literature and classics that have been adapted into movies since the beginning.

ok, just checking you weren't gonna list something written in the past 100 years

you never know with people these days

Lolno they don't even know what game design is and can't even make the difference between a game that had work in that field and a game that hasn't.

>implying MK wrote TES lore