Alan Moore: Genius or smug cunt?

Maybe both?

Has he earned the right to be a smug cunt?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/Ocm8QdNR_d8
kickstarter.com/projects/avatarpress/providence-the-art-book-and-complete-slipcase-set
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Old fart.

If people make a movie out of shit you did you have the right to be a smug cunt the rest of your life.

>Has he earned the right to be a smug cunt?

To have that right, you should need to put out god tier art at least once every 10 years. Otherwise you automatically become washed up if you go the smug cunt route.

>Still haven't figured out where to go once he deconstructed superheroes
>Constantly borrow from the pre alan moore years due to a lack of imagination

I'd say he's earned it.

Genius. Go read Jerusalem and Providence, come back and let's talk about time and when you want to visit first when you die.

well deserved

the man is a true patrician and DC (while acting reasonably as a company) are cunts for rehashing watchmen again and again

did he ever comment on the rebirth thing?

A man who's never satisfied with anything
but rightfully so

>Maybe both?
yes
>Has he earned the right to be a smug cunt?
yes

I'm in the middle of Jerusalem right now, just after the monger and Sam'o Day in the upstairs. This is the best thing I've read in a decade. Maybe ever

I'll probably go find some trades of Providence after I finish this

>visit first
senior trip to the bahamas so I can remember what actually happened

>I'll probably go find some trades of Providence
Only the first four issues have been collected. The second hardcover won't be until May and the last until maybe next year.

Neither.

Why Sup Forums hate this man? he made pretty good stuff.
It is because he triggers manchilds when he was talking about capeshit movies?

Sup Forums doesn't read comics, so they saw some youtube videos and got triggered

He's a wizard.

His opinions on magic and what it is are some of the most reasonable and approachable I've ever seen. Seriously, check out the interviews he's done on youtube.

Genius, and if he is smug, he is also self-effacing about it. (And he certainly deserves to be smug.)

He is one of the top five (three?) creators to ever work in the comics medium. Even many of the people who hate him have been influenced by him even in ways they haven't noticed.
As much as people complain about his being 'bitter', he is clearly correct about the degree to which DC's supposed new generations of creators continue to rifle through his decades-old throwaway ideas like raccoons through his garbage -- and never do anything interesting with what they find there.

I'd say both.

Here's a recent video of him.
youtu.be/Ocm8QdNR_d8

well there's exactly 10 years between Tom Strong ending and Providence/Jerusalem, so I guess he has the right

Because he speaks the truth.

Yes and yes. He also ruined comics

>Points out that literally the only thing that sets a democracy apart from anarchy on the individual level, is that people believe that it's in their best interest to play along with the system
>People think this is crazy talk
I'm not sure if he's a genius, but when you point out to people that they're making a choice by being part of society, and they're utterly convinced they're not, then you do have a reason to feel entitled to smugness.

Rasputin.

>91643717
Not a genius but close. I think he is good but some ppl think about him a gift from God to comics...

And he was the write to be a smug cunt, he produces some memorable and intelligent stuff (not the overrated Watchmen , but From Hell)

Alan is brutally honest in his opinions and millennials have thinner skin than hot milk.

kickstarter.com/projects/avatarpress/providence-the-art-book-and-complete-slipcase-set

have at it, boys. It's only possibly the best piece of Lovecraftian fiction you're ever going to read.

Glad I got the first edition cover to Act One already. Because looking at Act Two and Act Three...they make a triptych.

Should be easy enough to slide it into place and maybe gift the third edition cover that comes with the set.

because they've only read his batman and maybe watchmen

while what you say is a reasonable strategy, I really can't deal with differences in editions when I'm collecting something. I honestly don't know how you'll be able to stand having that
one
fucking
different
VOLUME

By getting the fuck rid of it haha.

I mean, if I didn't have the original Act One cover...I'd probably be on ebay or amazon right now looking for a copy.

I wonder if there's going to a proper complete collection in the future -- those collections are stupidly overpriced. Or will Avatar go under before that happening?

man, the 129 pledge is pretty reasonable and it's the whole thing, ain't it?

honestly I think avatar is done for

Avatar publishes like 2 series a month at this point. And even Crossed ended.

I had wanted an omnibus, but the kickstarter comments have said they don't plan one until at least 2018, as that's a time frame they don't have set plans for.
But this set pretty much figures in everything I would want. Courtyard, Neonomicon, Providence's acts, and the art Book.

If they do make an omnibus, I hope it doesn't have anything exclusive. Cause that would suck.

You can be a smug cunt and be a genius

Alan Moore is both.

Why do big creators go to Avatar if they're too broke even for publishing. They bundled a book I was reading into their anthology.

probably went broke paying said creators

A year and a half ago it was less apparent how really screwed Avatar was,

That too.
I have a theory that they ended Crossed because they couldn't afford both Ennis and Moore to do something large scale at the same time.
Right after Providence ended they've been hinting it's coming back and I believe it's because Burrows is free.

They've also hinted that part of this kickstarter, or even a new one, will go to bankroll it.

The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen is a glorified crossover fanfiction that reek of "remember the nineties" tier nostalgia except for Moore it's "remember the forties ? ,remember Mary Poppins ? ,it was a good book"

I don't hate him, I think he's brilliant.

Though if I'm honest, I always found the worldbuilding extras at the end of league of extraordinary gentlemen volume 2 better than what he did with his main cast.

first two volumes are still pretty good regardless

nemo trilogy is also good

I used to ne really into his work, but I lost interest while reading some LoEG thing or other. I'm indifferent to him now.
>Ruined comics
Lol, he aint got shit on Martin Goodman and Wertham.