David Lynch's Dune Storytime

He can't run from this awful/wonderful mess he and his crew made! But for now we storytime this somewhat rare comic adaptation by Marvel

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=zm4E4umP9Qc
twitter.com/DuneAuthor/status/826641857400565760
youtube.com/watch?v=VT5snfvxDdc
twitter.com/AnonBabble

forgot the main theme for this thread
youtube.com/watch?v=zm4E4umP9Qc

woooooooooooooooooooooorm

and gonna take a little break before i start posting the rest

Please continue OP

It's not exactly a good read but it is an interesting cultural artifact

Hold on, there was a Dune comic!? OP, please comtinue!

>not jodorowsky
why?????

Is this the Marvel adaptation?

A comic adaption of Lynch's film, not the actual book.
Most of Jodorowsky's ideas for Dune got recycled into the Incal and Metabarons

Marvel did some nifty work with their movie adaptations.

of course, got back from a long walk home and to a proper connection
Jorodowsky's Dune is more or less a collection of ideas and concept art than a whole movie and a comic adaptation though
apparently. Marvel Comics and Berkely released it to serve as a movie tie-in back in 1984 as part of their merchandising

btw, if anyone's curious about how its cover looked like, here it is.

for all the flak the movie gets, this looked gorgeous, especially for a comic cover

now back to storytiming

Man I hope the new movie will be good enough to rival Disney Wars but Brian Herbert is involved. We're probably getting

I have hope. Legendary took in Denis Villeneuve to direct the second adaptation, so it's probably in good hands. let's just hope the studio didn't do the exact same stupid problem of trying to fashion it into another Star Wars and spend most of the money for marketing. we know how that went last time

somehow that didn't get posted

>the new movie
wat
> twitter.com/DuneAuthor/status/826641857400565760
to be honest, I don't trust major studios to do a good treatment of any novel. There's too much interference by investors to make "good-selling product" instead of a good experience.

>Hold on, there was a Dune comic!? OP, please comtinue!

Remember the original SW comic sold so well it brought Marvel out of the brink of bankruptcy and ruin. Up until the late 90s when they killed most of their licensed comics, Marvel was still chasing the next hit for SW. And of course Dune was one of the sources that inspired SW so naturally they took a turn at adapting the movie.

>There's too much interference by investors to make "good-selling product" instead of a good experience.

To be fair, Dune is your bog standard white savior story, the Harkonens are texbook style of evil, and they'll likely only cover the first book so there's no need to worry about having to wrestle with all the crazy shit that comes after.

My wife is more concerned about viewers who never heard of the books dismissing it under the impression that it's some heavy handed modern political allegory.

>let's just hope the studio didn't do the exact same stupid problem of trying to fashion it into another Star Wars and spend most of the money for marketing.

Avatar has come out since then. That's what the new Dune is going to be like- or at least compared to. Not that Avatar didn't take some inspiration from it to begin with.

> Lawrence of Arabia IN SPAAAAAACE
Granted. He inverts it later, how people will naturally follow charismatic leaders but they tend to be corrupt and culture lead by a demagogue will implode... but I doubt that theme will fit into a movie, and it's such a downer that I could see the theme getting excised because "doesn't sell well with test audiences." So yeah, we're back to ye olde white saviour. (._.)

it's kinda more or less Lawrence of Arabia mixed in with Shakespeare, yeah.

I loathe the flying wedge ornithopter

Moses
A Princess of Mars/John Carter
Lawrence of Arabia
Dances with Wolves
Last of the Mohicans
Stargate
The Last Samurai

Take your pick.

>Last of the Mohicans

Maybe the book, but the movie no way.

I know
>fanedits

But the final edition of the Dune fanedit is actually really good. I wouldn't mind the new adaptation being similar.

the moses connection is probably the best, since its a literal messiah story. it could be intresting if they focused on the prescience aspect of it, give some weird hints and cliffhangers hinting at the Golden Path/thinking machines war then tease further adaptations.

>sandworms rising up
this looks much cooler than it did in the movie

Rain! No more spice! thanks Paul

and that's the end of that, Sup Forumsmrades. hope you enjoyed the ride and let's just hope they do a better job at the new movie in realizing its fullest potential at least in its visuals instead of bombing like a bitch nigga like in the 80s

alternatively, let's watch some FMV that did a better job at being enjoyable than the movie itself at probably half the length youtube.com/watch?v=VT5snfvxDdc

thx.

I enjoyed the Sci-Fi Channel miniseries. I felt it had better pacing (more hours to work with, duh) and more faithful implementation of the story's themes.

it's pretty good although, kinda wished the actors there would do a better job protraying them and Paul at the start was annoyingly whiny in this one. the guy acting as Baron Harkonnen was great though

What the Hell? They skip the attempt on Paul's life, that's a great scene.

I hate the ornithopter in general, such a stupid idea for an advanced aircraft and typifies the terrible language used in Dune

what do you mean fan edit? this isnt the original?

Que?

There's a fanedit of Lynch's Dune movie.
It's had several versions, and the last one is pretty good. If a bit lax in material.

This and Children of Dune, the followup made a few years later that combines Dune Messiah and Children of Dune, are pretty solid adaptations, if painfully "ScyFy."

It reminded me that like, one third or one half of Children of Dune is about the retarded plot to assassinate Leto II and Ghanima with tigers.

This is...weird. Are these all Sienkiewicz breakdowns (or "panelling" as Sup Forums loves to refer to it)? Is he inking Ralph Macchio? Wait no Macchio's a writer, isn't he? Anyway my point is that apart from the inks this doesn't look like Sienkiewicz very much at all. Shit, some of the inks don't look much like his! This is his post Moon Knight/Neal Adams period, right? or is it on the cusp of his transition to "crazy Ralph Steadman and David Lynch influenced multimedia comics genius extraordinaire"?! Is there a full credits list at the end? I'll check. This is really weirding me out. It's not as heinously photo-reffed as, say, the Tim Burton Batman film adaptation, though.
Sorry, I don't mean to sound unappreciative, for it's oddity value this comic is golden, OP.

Also, it's kind of bizarre that the phrase I remember your gom-jabbar...now you will remember mine!" popped into my head a few minutes ago, I refreshed the catalog and saw this thread...

>That C&C clip at the end
I miss it.