The Last Jedi is going to bom-

The Last Jedi is going to bom-

>TLJ is only the second movie ever to earn $100 million dollars in one day only behind The Force Awakens $119 million first Friday.
>It's on track for the third ever $215 million plus opening weekend.
>At this rate, it should earn $1 billion by the time it hits China in early January.
>It has an A Cinemascore.

boxofficemojo.com/news/?id=4353&p=.htm

Sup Forums BTFO

Other urls found in this thread:

the-numbers.com/movies/franchise/Star-Wars#tab=summary
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

>TFA: $289 million
>TLF: $215 million

One of these things is not like the other...

It's succeeding financially based on goodwill from TFA. The third movie will suffer because of the bad taste this has left in peoples mouths. In my opinion it even retroactively makes TFA worse because a lot of the things that made me excited about that movie were the mystery surrounding Rey and Snoke but lol it's nothing don't worry about it. Rian Johnston singlehandedly killed new star wars.

TFA had a $247 million opening weekend. Jurassic World is second $208 million. The Last Jedi could possibly make a billion dollars before the year is over.

Sup Forums BTFO

I mean it's not surprising. Normies were going to go to see it regardless. At least some of them have been realizing it's not good though.

Star Wars and Marvel are the Call of Duty of the movie medium. Eventually there will be stagnation but not after the previous entries make a shitload of money.

>down 20 percent
>word of mouth will be shit
>"May" hit a billion in January

flop of the century confirmed!

The real test of this film will be its second weekend. TFA had very long legs because people kept going back and watching it again and again, that very well might not happen here. Also a reminder that Rogue One had a huge December opening at $155 million, and barely limped past $1 billion worldwide.

the prequels made a lot of money too.

>down 20%
this is not good you idiot.

I'm pretty sure OP meant that it should make a billion dollars BEFORE the movie makes it to China. There should be no reason why the TLJ can't make $2 billion before it's all said and done

(((Cnn))) just attempted major damage control.

lol it was never going to beat TFA, word of mouth means 1.5 billion tops. not bad of course but they had to be hoping for more with really not much set up for Episode 9

may the BTFO be with Sup Forums, always

It's doing fine. Disney will be happy and will continue making more just like this. Disney doesn't want you as a customer anymore, they're going after the average international moviegoer who doesn't give two shits about plot or continuity.

BvS made a ton of money too. And killed a franchise.

Of course TLJ will make tons of money. But hardcore fans throwing the most $ at SW are already angry as fuck.

>made a ton of money
>barely a 150 mil profit or less.

So? ESB made way less than ANH, and AOTC made less than TPM. That's typical for this franchise. The second movies never have the hype, repeat viewings, or critical praise that the first ones do.

the-numbers.com/movies/franchise/Star-Wars#tab=summary

>WE DIDN'T WANT IT TO DO BETTER

>TFA - 119 million
>TLJ - 100 million

OH NONONONONO

Who said that? I'm only pointing out that it was never going to make as much money as TLJ, and anyone with any sense would have realized that.

Are you guys really so desperate to insult a movie that you think pointing out a clear historical trend for this franchise is defending it, or making excuses for it?

MARK MY WORDS. THIS MOVIE WILL *NOT* MAKE A BILLION DOLLARS. WORD OF MOUTH IS ALREADY DESTROYING IT. ITS GOING TO HAVE THE BIGGEST 2ND WEEK DROP OFF THIS YEAR.

>It's doing fine.
Yep. Exit polls of people who actually saw the film showed 91% liked or loved it. Only 9% of rated it average or lower.

Cinemascore shows a score of A which is slightly higher than force awakens (A-). Cinemascore is a legit polling organization that has been doing this for decades before people even heard of the internet. Audience reactions match critic reactions among people who actually saw the film.

The user scores on social media sites like RT/metacritic are only lower because of the "Le we did it reddit! We downboated TLJ to punish EA for battlefront 2!" campaign and other trolls that are still flooding it with hundreds of 0 out of 10 scores. It is always fashionable to shit on popular things so that adds to these unverified user scores and most of the negative scores came from accounts created this week.TLJ is the only film they ever reviewed.

People are going to go watch star wars anyway when it comes out but in a long run this will not be so succesfull.

is $1 billion even a lot for these types of film these days?

your average marvel capeshit usually gets $800m

anything less then $2b is a failure

this

If Facebook is any indication, then might make their money back, but they arent gonna hit TFA or Rouge 1 numbers. People will see it once then tell others it wasnt great.

When you spend 500 million dollars on making the movie, marketing, and promoting it you gotta make close to a billion to be a true success. A couple hundred million won't cut it.

>The second movies never have the hype, repeat viewings, or critical praise that the first ones do.
Empire is the first Star Wars film?

>disney so desperate its resorting to cinemascores
*breathes in*

>they arent gonna hit TFA or Rouge 1 numbers
They are already smashing rogue 1 numbers.

TFA was the first star wars film in a generation and that level of excitement can never be repeated now that we get annual star wars films.

A sequel earning less than the first film in a 'new' spin-off of a legendary, established series? If you know ANYTHING about cinema you'd know Disney just got B T F O.

Literally nobody said SW would bomb you moron
And the vast majority of that is coming from presales so doesn't really reflect how people feel about the movie
Next weekend will be interesting at least

Only three movies have made more than 2 billion dollars. Dude, the fact that Marvel managed to make three $800 million movies in one year is historic. No other franchise has done that in one year. One of those movies alone made more money than Paramount, Sony and Legendary did all year.

It doesn't seem impressive anymore because it happens so often, but before the 2000's movie studios never thought that a movies could make $1 billion regularly. Now a movie is judged based on how close it GETS to a billion. For most studios who know how to keep their profits down (Disney) they really need just $600 million to break even. But Marvel Studios has an internal goal to at least make $700 million because they want to make a statement to the rest of Hollywood.

Look at it this way: Justice League will struggle to even hit $700 million, let alone passing Dr. Strange. Now that's a bomb.

Empire got pretty mediocre reviews when it was released. Critics like Star Wars for being a fun, lighthearted adventure movie, and they didn't like that it was darker and slower-paced, or that it had a cliffhanger ending. The real praise for it didn't start until the early 90s. If you only look at reviews written at the time of it's release, it would have a RT score of 52%.

And it's pretty easy to see in that chart it made much less money. Close to half as much as Star Wars did.

>desperate
What part of critical consensus, strong polls, and $220 million opening weekend makes them "desperate"?

>B-but a guy on an internet forum who never saw the movie and exclusively only watches new movies as camrips on a 5.7" screen is upset about a meme he saw of yoda burning books, even though the books were not burned

I guess the film is doomed after all.

It deserves it
It's a fucking great movie
The only people who thought otherwise were gen Z faggots who thought Star Wars is some kind of super deep political emotional thriller as opposed to SPACE WIZARDS AND BIG COOL STARSHIPS BLOWING SHIT UP WITH A BIT OF MYTHOLOGY TOSSED IN
I mean
It's called fucking Star Wars
And you have people complaining about the fact that there's so much action

people know a great movie when they see one. TLJ is pure kino. No wonder it does so good at the box office.

Bitch, it's only the first weekend. Also most of Sup Forums said this will break 1 billion. You're forgetting the part where TFA cashed in over 2 billion dollars. That's a 50% drop. 50%, you know what that is?

>TFA: 2,000,000,000
>TLJ: ~1,000,000,000
Half the revenue, poof! Plenty of shit films made a lot of money anyway.

Yet Empire has all the hype, repeat viewings and critical praise. So I guess Empire came before A New Hope.

It' gonna fall flat on it's face in China. They Like giant robots and shit, not whatever the hell TLJ was.

/thread

NO NO NO NO NO NO FUCK THIS CAN'T BE HAPPENING

>gets angry when he sees disney mentioned negatively
>n-no u guise i-its not s-shit c-cinemascores s-says
*inhales*

Are you retarded? It had none of those things when it was first released.

Or alternatively
>TFA was so uninspiring that it alienated half the fanbase from the new trilogy
Really jammies my yimyorgles

>The Last Jedi is going to bom-
Star wars movies literally cannot bomb and as a side benefit it sell tons and tons of merch easily.

Why do you think Disney bought it?

>hated by real fans
>b-but it made money
Disney wants their movies to be universally loved and they failed miserably. Star Wars is being used to create an expanded universe. Pissing off your hardcore fans is the worst thing you can do.

And I do love the faggot anons who think Sup Forums boards are one person.
>Sup Forums BTFO
>Sup Forums BTFO
>Sup ForumsBTFO
ROFLMAO

Just look at this Disney employee piss himself:

>cinemascores
You mean, where every other movie gets an A or 90% of the audiences liked it?

who said it would bomb. it has luke skywalker. the next one will bomb. just watch.

They have sold a SHIT TON of merch because of this movie
I've gone to the various shops in my area several times this week
The day before TLJ, shelves were FILLED with toys like they just weren't moving any merch
Day of release, shelves almost completely cleared

MOUSE
IN
THA
HOUSE

Dubs wasted on this flying fucking faggot

Who cares if it does well or not? You either like the movie, don't, or aren't interested in it. Those of you who are complaining about the board being spammed with Star Wars shit are fueling the fire with shit threads/posts like this.

Dude, every guy I know had pre-bought their ticket this weekend. It was going to do good in the first weekend no matter what.

See

In the end it really depends on the repeat viewing on the States. Star Wars is one of those rare franchises that makes most of its money in America versus the foreign box office. The rest of the world doesn't care about muh Star Wars lore and only likes big action movies like Marvel and Fast and Furious.

IF TLJ struggles here, than it's only making 1 billion lifetime. and may not even pass Beauty and The Beast for the number 1 movie of 2017. But I have a feeling it'll make something like 1.7 billion

>massive marketing and a long time successful franchise get you big money from the start
>proof of any artistic integrity and quality
Disney shills, everytime. This is why you're not truly human and your soulless product are more and more seen for what they are.

I don't think it's going to bomb, but it's definitely not going to perform as they expect.

More importantly, it caused a big enough problem with the fanbase that is going to undermine Disney's efforts to just churn out sequel cash grabs.

If anything, I expect the franchise to bleed out over the next several years.

Why do you think they release these movies in december? They know parents will buy SW toys for christmas.

>Only three movies have made more than 2 billion dollars.
Wrong. The numbers you're using are not adjusted for inflation.

>Empire got pretty mediocre reviews when it was released.
Nice meme, but this is not true. It only got lower reviews compared to the first SW.

GURRRRL POWERRRR!

That didn't happen with TFA or Rogue One though
I'm actually a figure collector myself, mainly The Black Series 6" figures, so I check stores regularly to see what they're selling and what they're not
I STILL see the shelves packed with TFA/RO toys, so much so that the usual $20 6 inch figures at Walmart get marked down half off
They eventually just cleared it out for TLJ merch and that's flying off the shelves at hyperspace speeds at the Walmarts, Targets, and Toys R Us I've visited since yesterday

Secondary market is huge too. For ever dollar these films make at the box office they also earn 5 times that off the secondary/mercnahidise market. Marvel and star wars box office is huge but of less importance than the brand power it brings.

Force awakens brought in about $4 billion to the start wars brand in 2015 beforethe film even opened. The months leading up to the films release brought far more money than the film itself and it was already the most profitable film ever before opening night.

-$2 billion n toys from Oct-dec 2015
-$245 million from snacks, cereal, mac/n/cheese licensing deal
-Sold an extra 1.5 million BD/DVD sets of the original trilogy as hype built up

Overall TFA brought about $6 billion to the star wars brand excluding it's own ticket and BD/DVD sales in 2015/2016.

>Empire had no hype
>no-one wanted to watch it again
>reviewers hated it
Look user you said something retarded and got called on it. Take your L like a man.

>it makes money
>that means it's good

i'm spending a single cent on anything produced by (((((Disney))))

all their shit gonna be torrented the fuck out of

Despite all your best efforts, Disney will still bring in more money this year than anything else you like in this world. Combined.

>They are already smashing rogue 1 numbers.
R1 didn't cost nowhere near as much to produce.

It's not going above $1.5b, the best it can do is $1b

TFA just had the star wars hype train like TPM had, it's just how it goes.

>They are already smashing rogue 1 numbers.
...in the first weekend, when 80% of the audience pre-ordered their tickets.

You forgot to mention in your analysis that the movie takes some risks and that it might require a second view if you dont love it the first time when you leave the movie theater.

Please look at page 10 of your Disney's Star Wars The last Jedi damage control document before posting again.

Unfortunately, I paid twice in advantage. But they won't have my money again for SW.

>Almost every bad guy is a white male
>Almost every good guy is either a female or a non-white male

Based purely on the reaction to this film it's sequel is likely to do less well at the box office.

Disney have the added burden of the troubled Solo movie which is likely to further sully the Star Wars brand.

>go to the site
>only 2 movies on the first page are bellow B

Yeah, sure.

He also forgot
>Dude Star Wars is a CHILDREN'S MOVIE full of SPACE WIZARDS
>SW might be a little too intelligent for you, watch it again
>Oh now RT doesn't count when the critics disagree with you
>/polumbr hated it because WAAAH NO WHITE MEN
>star wars isn't your sekrit club

Good thing everyone shits on the resistance because of this. Good thing that only people motivating the plot and didn't look like geeks are all white people (and one jewess, but she's ded so it don't matter)

i have a distinct feeling the interim movies are going to be remembered as the best of disney wars

Could have used another 2 dozen asians.

TLJ just got released, so why is that? Less Finn/Rey? More Luke, Kylo etc? Are porgs successful?

I may be wrong.
But this movie will fall in the box office

Or not because no one is going to see this trash twice.

no they weren't, that was actually a reasonable post, you fucking mousefag.

It’s too late. The pre order tickets are in, but next time? They in trouble. I think it will be a steep dive though once everyone sees how bad it is. Still it was a success but barely. A tainted one and a big warning. Ro 9 it’s too late to fix now lol.