The Last Jedi

The Last Jedi is a symbolic middle finger to George Lucas and the fans who genuinely care about the characters and universe. It even dismisses and renders moot everything setup in The Force Awakens. And, worst of all, it leaves nothing to move forward with. Name two good worthwhile plot threads they have that can be properly explored in a single movie.

Disney does not care about this franchise. They only wanted the name and brand value. Critics and apologists are calling the film "bold" and praising its visuals. So what? Bold isn't necessarily good and has film criticism been reduced to the point where you can get glowing reviews for just "exciting visuals?" So by that measure are the Transformers movies suddenly good now? Even divorced from the context of the series, The Last Jedi is insultingly stupid and full of forced humor that make even the worst of Marvel's output look like Citizen Kane in comparison. Imagine all of the shortcomings of Guardians of the Galaxy Vol 2 cranked up to eleven and you'll have an idea. This is genuinely Prequel-tier.

Yes. Yes it is. And now it will die because they've cut off too much. All that will be left are the soyboys and bugmen and cunts too stupid or brainwashed to realize that everything that made Star Wars Star Wars is officially gone.

W-WHERE MY ECKSTENDED UNIBERSE

>Critics and apologists are calling the film "bold" and praising its visuals
Remember when Lucas called the prequels bold?

Star Wars IV: 2/10

Star Wars V: 3/10

Star Wars VI: 1/10

Star Wars I: 1/10

Star Wars II: 2/10

Star Wars III: 2/10

Star Wars VII: 1/10

Star Wars VIII: 1/10

Some ideas of this series had potential if didn't decide to market it towards children/young adults..

It is a shame so many adults take the lore seriously though....

reylo was a plot point that was good
im sure jj will destroy any hope of that now that he has the keys back

>Disney milking the star wars franchise to the disgust of its most diehard fans
>Drinking the putrid bile and giving a mocking smug smile
>The cashcow indifferently looking over as if to show that this is what showbusiness is about
Rian Johnson is a genius and you soyboy star wars cancer are getting what you deserve for keeping an entire generation of men children

>Iw wuinedd myy chirdhooowd

I'll give you two, Snoke isn't actually gone, and Rey's identity is going to be revealed. Kylo obviously lied to her. Nice bait mate.

their is a theme in star wars.. the bad guy says the truth and it seems unbelievable

>this is part of the movie

I just don't understand

I'm glad your honest that your only criticism of this movie is that it didn't jerk of your childhood fan theories. why don't you watch TFA, it's does the exact same thing as OTL you can continue to worship your childhood goods.

Never got into it and don't have any intention to.

Abrams wanted Reylo to begin with user. TFA is full of the build up to their relationship in TLJ.

But the whole theme of VIII was not everything is as it seems :^)

The PT and ST didn't ruin my childhood, but they did disappoint my adulthood.

All I care about is she no longer wants to fuck the black guy.

>It even dismisses and renders moot everything setup in The Force Awakens.
It renders moot most of the shit in its own movie.

I thoroughly disagree. The Last Jedi is at least the fourth best Star Wars film overall. The action was almost non-stop and actually interesting; there were multiple character arcs, stunning turns of events and funny spots too. You guys are way too edgy. And yeah, I am convinced most of the hate for this movie is pure "look at me I am so cynical and smart that pleb entertainment isn't good enough for me". Blah blah blah...yes, please tell us how Empire is your favorite and how you honestly believe that the movie wouldn't flop had it gone up against The Last Jedi (by any other series' name) in 1980.

Rian Johnson: Thank you.

I just told you

That's not really a good comeback considering even the most wank EU fodder was far better than this canon movie costing millions of dollars that had thousands of people working on it.
ST apologists are pathetic.

>bugmen
what does this hot new meme refer to?

>Star Wars created millennial soyboy manchildren.
Hahahaha what a fucking moron. Star Wars and Luke's character motivated me to become as courageous and morally right as I could be, and I've accomplished great things in my life thanks in part to this. Culture and stories are always meant to inspire or teach important moral lessons. Sorry you didn't get any of that because you're a hollow, shallow moron.

>That faggot reddit-level emote
Go away and don't come back.

>I've accomplished great things in my life
Name one (1)

Diehard fans shouldn't be listened to.

What Disney did was right.

Rian was the chemotherapy that star wars needed

Damn straight. Fans don't know what they want. They asked and demanded this film, and now they're whining. And what's really happening is this: nearly everyone loves this new film, but it's COOOOOOOOOL to bash it online and gets massive cynic points, which is all that matters online these days. The Last Jedi beats Rogue One with its own limbs to death.

>This is genuinely Prequel-tier.

That's kind of harsh for the prequels.

>star wars isn't the epitome of the man child epidemic
>In the final volume of the book A Positively Final Appearance (1997), Guinness recounts grudgingly giving an autograph to a young fan who claimed to have watched Star Wars over a hundred times, on the condition that the boy promise to stop watching the film because "this is going to be an ill effect on your life". The fan was stunned at first but later thanked him (though some sources say it went differently). Guinness is quoted as saying: "'Well', I said, 'do you think you could promise never to see Star Wars again?' He burst into tears. His mother drew herself up to an immense height. 'What a dreadful thing to say to a child!' she barked, and dragged the poor kid away. Maybe she was right but I just hope the lad, now in his thirties, is not living in a fantasy world of second hand, childish banalities."
This movie has put your entire "culture" of manchildism on display.

I LIK STAR VAR

I defeated evil men at Srebrenica and I have taught my children how to defeat evil men. Having children is what I am most proud of. I do not wish to boast too much on anonymous board.

>They asked and demanded this film
Who exactly asked for a mockery of Star Wars, my good shill?

I'm really baffled by the backlash occuring only now. It seems like the hype was so strong in 2015, normies stayed in denial for 2 years. it's only now that the honeymoon is over and they came back to their senses. TFA already annihilated the lore and characters, why would TLJ improve that? You didn't complain when TFA came out, Disney had no reason to worry about this problem.

Sup Forums, Sup Forums, /lit/ and Sup Forums
The only boards trying to fight the manchild problem head on

>This is genuinely Prequel-tier

Not true. The prequels have great light saber fights even if the rest is kinda subpar.

>Rian Johnson: Thank you.

Almost got me

I could not agree more.

This movie is the equivalent of your wife fixing the same meal for dinner every night and you politely asking for something different next time. The following night she fixes the most vile plate of food imaginable and when you rightfully question the load of garbage before your eyes, she screeches that this is what you wanted and that you're ungrateful for questioning her.

Just because you do something different doesn't mean it's automatically good.

Star Wars was always terrible, though. Franchise movies have, by definition, never been artistically valid - the only value Star Wars ever had was as a name and a brand. Don't you get it yet? If you don't grow out of children's shit, you get exploited all your life. How many times does this have to be illustrated for you to get it through your thick skull?

>Critics and apologists are calling the film "bold" and praising its visuals.
This is literally prequel defenders though

The movie took a literal shit on every one of the interesting remaining narrative threads left in the main saga.

They embarrassed Luke, the Jedi order, Phasma, Snoke, Yoda, 3PO, the Force, the previous 7 films, etc.

They literally chucked all the mystery inheritant in an epic series of this scale in the trash in a witless barrage of mid-90s tier quips.

Now we're left with a mentally ill edge lord battling a few elderly lesbian librarians for WHAT FUCKING PURPOSE EXACTLY?? To what end??

Holy shit this series is dead.

this guy gave the best performance out of the whole movie.

So it made you want to be cannon-fodder? That's pathetic and believeable - Star Wars was always a bad influence in the world. Alec Guinness perceived it. I'm thankful that this children nonsense is now being destroyed for the people who made the mistake of taking seriously. They are being frog-marched into adulthood by Disney, ironically.

>Holy shit this series is dead.
Good. Now you can grow up and watch actual film

neoliberal with no spiritual or moral beliefs. Their identity is entirely driven by consumption and whatever they believe is trendy or status boosting. Have no opinions of their own and will go along with whatever they feel will boost their own prestige.

Many are numales/soyboys, but many bugmen are not numales/soyboys.

A New Hope and The Empire Strikes Back are legitimately good films. Everything else since has been a rapid decline downhill.

>The movie took a literal shit on every one of the interesting remaining narrative threads left in the main saga.

None of those were interesting to real people though, only autists.

Except none of that is true. Luke's story is literally just Obi-Wan's but slightly edgier, they were clearly signalling the Jedi will be rebuilt, the Force is exactly as it is in the OT, and nobody cares about the rest.

Shill? HA. I've been a Star Wars fan since the beginning. How long do you think it would take for fans to get tired of watching an old and tired Mark Hamill? Truth be told, I wished they had waited until part IX to kill him off, but what they did was beautifully done and besides, he can return as a force ghost-and-he can interact with the physical universe because Yoda burned that tree, remember? It's Disney's rules now and they frankly enhance the existing SW canon.

This is all coming from a guy who has the originals unaltered in every form you can think of besides actual film, but I have digital scans of those too, restored and unrestored. (plus versions that have been forgotten) I know SW fandom and I know that what we saw on screen was a collection of ideas from Dark Empire to the Droids cartoon series (Kybo Ren-Cha becomes Kylo Ren; and Rey's true origin) and beyond. Especially the scene in which Luke is astral projecting to show his mastery of the Force-that is what slobbering fans have been begging for, right down to Rey's mundane tragic origin. Yes, one of the biggest complaints was that the Skywalkers had the Force all sew-up for themselves, well that ended with The Last Jedi.

Incorrect, neither of them is good, and your emotional attachment to them embarrasses the people around you.

I'm serious. The people that hate the movie are broken inside and don't understand Star Wars.

There's no such film as "A New Hope" - its title is Star Wars. It always was Star Wars. George Lucas's will is dead, stop lying about the title of an old movie, dipshit.

>They embarrassed Luke, the Jedi order, Phasma, Snoke, Yoda, 3PO, the Force, the previous 7 films, etc.

Now you can grow up

>emotional attachment
>liking films

go back to your anime containment board

>One can't like Goodfellas and the Empire Strikes Back. One has to eat Filet Mignon and Saffron risotto EVERYDAY. One can't also like ice cream occasionally.

Are you a faggot or just a homosexual?

No, it did not. lol. Wow. The movie made Luke Skywalker even more respected and legendary by the end of the film. The movie even showed little kids playing with their own Star Wars figures for crying out loud! It was beautiful.
Now to your other complaints, 3PO always is about being a joke, Phasma can return, Snoke was lame as fuck and I am glad he's gone, and Yoda was as good as he was in Empire.

>TLJ is bad on purpose to deconstruct the fantasy genre and alienate older fans on purpose

...or it's just a bad movie?

Every original trilogy character has been reduced to a failure and disgracefully knocked off. In less than thirty years everything they fought for was made worthless and we're literally back to where it all started except with a Mary Sue and a bunch of other underdeveloped characters. And don't forget your wannabe Marvel quips.

Why every main character is a human?

>40 years of muh luke and leia

disney finally starts a new story. Nostalgia and expectation ruins the potential for good story telling.

>you can enjoy x and enjoy x meme
>food analogy
>goodfellas is his pick
I can't stop laughing
Do you play videogames too, kid(adult child)?

>disney finally starts a new story. Nostalgia and expectation ruins the potential for good story telling.
Really? Then why they brouht them back in the first place, you disney apologist

you're a moron

Well, yeah, but they already did that by creating the new trilogy where somehow the bad guys were in power again and the good guys are the rebels.

This entire movie is embarrassing. It's beyond the worst meme shit I've seen so far. The hilarious feminist shilling would be unbearable if it wasn't so clear that this forced garbage is going down in flames.
After they've finished pillaging all of the great creations of men, they'll realize that they can't make anything like it on their own. Even the soyboy numales that they've co-opted as their useful puppets are incapable of creating anything on the level of original Star Wars. It's also so unbelievable that I don't think anyone honestly buys it as some sort of progressive vision of a liberated future. It's a delusional, completely sexist, and largely racist fantasy that has no place in the minds of decent human beings. Feminists and their liberal puppet masters are sick parasites that destroy everything they touch.

I will never give Disney another dime, and they can rely on the support of all of their sexist stronk wymenz and numale betas. We'll see how far they get.

typically wears big glasses, and sports a beard with hairloss, etc.

Only valuable post ITT

>all the males are irrational, selfish, or downright evil, except for the black male
What did they mean by this?

>I’m glad Disney is tanking the franchise because fuck manchildren
This is your reasoning as to why TLJ is a good film?

No, I am a real fan who isn't broken inside because my childhood fantasy space opera hero is now a dead character. Dude, if you hate it so much, ignore it, ignore me and cut it off after Empire Strikes back or Return of the Jedi. Or read the EU books that Disney says counts for shit. WHO GIVES A FUCK WHAT I THINK ANYWAY?

Oh yes, food analogy...

How is the resistance going to stop the first order from rolling over the galaxy?
How is the force going to be used?
How is Kylo and Reys relationship going to develop?

There you go that's a pretty easy movie to make. Problem with autistic fanboys like Sup Forums is that they can't accept the series being taken in a direction they don't like. Maybe pick up some other hobbies besides space fantasy movies?

>Disney starts a new story
>Disney
>New Story

Here it is folks. The dumbest comment in the ignominious history of Sup Forums.

Yeah. The mental gymnastics on display here would be hilarious if it wasn't so pathetic. The Last Jedi is apparently good because it spat on the series it's connected to without anything to replace it except for "surprising twists" (read: bad writing), brain dead quips, "female empowerment" (read: bad writing and sexism), and "exciting" action sequences. The people defending this movie are trolls or shills at best and stupid at worst.

>treating fanfiction as canon

That's your problem. Disney has the rights, they have the actors, or did, before they decided to kill them all off because they can't think of anything better then ripping off Obi Wan's death, but they don't have George. Therefore NuWars will forever be illegitimate.

(((rootless cosmopolitans))) whose entire worldview is formed by entertainment media. Insufferable hipster know-it-alls who whine about corporate control but always own the latest corporate products. Loves using big words and complaining about those backwards republicans within earshot of his female friends. Prematurely balding, with an insect-like stare, and a gaping fish mouth with a wiry and untrimmed beard. Basically hyper normies.

>80s Kurt Russel
>fedora
Blasphemy

No, I don't think any of the Star Wars films has any merit. It was always empty-headed garbage. Now its fans are being liberated by Disney's tradition of pursuing new audiences - they've always treated fans of their old properties as if they didn't exist once they hit eighteen, this is just the application of that policy to a new acquisition. And it's accidentally honorable - you can't fail to grow out of shit when it starts socking you in the mouth for still paying attention. Adult fan culture must die if cinema and Western civilization itself is ever to recover. Let it all burn.

>defeated evil men at Srebrenica
>some retarded soyboy westerner who grew up on star wars black and white worldview thinks he has an idea who were the "evil men" in Srebrenica

Fuck off you absolute piece of shit I hope every single member of your bloodline gets cancer and dies in most horrible pain that you can imagine. Unironically.

>Rey, did I ever tell you about my giant titty milk sloth?
>He was a good friend.

Nobody said it was on purpose, they just said it was a nice bonus. Older fans are no use to Disney.

The series was always bad, and people who value it deserve to suffer until they grow out of fandom of any kind. Watch adult movies or suffer the agony of a child in an adult's body. It's fair.

Because of people like you that are complaining because they didnt match their ideal, that Luke got full of himself, fucked up and instead of facing the problem decided to crawl into a hole to die.

The "character assassination" is because those older characters dont act as their younger versions, that Luke instead of being a superman end up running away, never mind the differences of the situation ... Obi-Wan failure was not as personal as Luke failure were he failed 3 close people, that Obi-Wan still had hope with Luke to solve everything as Luke saw everything collapse on him, that he could not face either Leia or Han because he failed then and so was all alone in that.

The "problem" was Luke wasnt Superman ... this is what happened when a generation is raised on capeshit, they dont grow up.

>Goodfellas is a bad movie
>probably likes Noah Baumbach films

I bet you're just swimming in pussy Ira. Tell us the secret to your edgy brilliance?

Dude shut up, TFA was retread trash. It's all NuWars seems capable of doing.

It's the same reason why Killing Them Softly is better than Assassination of Jesse James. You disgusting plebs got your pleb shit pushed in

Like that will appease your faggot nature.

How ironic is it that someone posting in a thread about a children space fantasy calls someone else a soyboy.

>hide and sage
>moonwalk away

Good tho, maybe the threads about this shlock can end soon.

>Ignore me
>WHO GIVES A FUCK WHAT I THINK ANYWAY?

yes I am the manchild

theres nothing wrong with trying to do something new with SW like turning luke into a bitter old man instead of force jesus. most of the complaints seem to be centered around the fact that the execution of these new ideas was severely lacking and not thought out.

I'm sure you are.

>Beheadings
Marketed to children
Is this the best shill argument now?

>a new story

Hook line and sinker, fuck I am being baited right now.

This entire post is as retarded as it is sad and delusional. Rey's character was shit. Any decent writer could've broken the force + Skywalker family link in a much better way with much, much better characters. Look at Palpatine, who may be the most powerful? He's not a fucking Skywalker, and neither were the other 10,000 Jedi and Sith that have existed. That wasn't a problem, and no one wanted Rey's origin story to be some pointless nothing while she was a complete female copy of Luke, but worse.

You aren't getting any Disney monies for that post, shill. There are much better shills out there, you need some practice.

So exposing and laughing at soyboys makes you a soyboy?

It's both actually.

Bad ideas and worse execution.