Falling Down

Thoughts on this film? I thought it was a great character and societal study.

>HURRR HE'S JUST A BAD GUY ASSHOLE WHO USES VIOLENCE TO GET HIS WAY!

No, what the movie is showing is that when gang bangers act out it's business as usual.
People have adapted and accept it as "part and parcel", same as all the other shit he
rants about and encounters. People have accepted the "invisible script" that runs their lives.

The second a white collar white guy acts out after losing his job and family, it's a problem for society and the only solution is to put him down. He's too dangerous to be allowed to continue speaking out. He attacks the "invisible script". Even the comfy script laid out for "angry white men" that he must be
a white suprememccist or nazi.

The guy isn't allowed to have an identity outside of his assigned role as shlub tax payer.

He was supposed to suicide. That's what middle class white guys are meant to do when they fail out in the workplace and relationships, when they're too angry or fixed in their ways (the cop was a pussy through
the movie to his wife, was going to retire because she didn't want him out from under her controlling behavior anymore, and his experience makes him put her in her place). White guys are meant to give in and surrender.

He rejected it, and made society do it rather than keep playing along with the lies.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=pZfva5xDNLU
youtube.com/watch?v=8y8PwiTCoh8
imdb.com/title/tt0091225/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

>I thought it was a great character and societal study
It's a hamfisted powertrip for weak men who believe everyone else is wrong, and their problems are societies fault. The movie was shit, the character was shit, and he was the bad guy.

I saw him more of a crybaby who threw a tantrum when he couldn't get his own way

so much this
back to pol

>invisible script

Sounds like some bullshit made up SJW term. Are you an SJW or something, OP?

>Autistic virgin mid 30s male gets made redundant at his worthless job and blames everyone in the world for his problems, especially minorities and women
Yeah, I can see why Sup Forums would like this movie.

this movie is fucking funny and anyone thinking too hard about it is retarded

why does his arm look so weird?

>this movie is fucking funny
Gran Torino does it better.

Because he's a beta who's never held a gun before so he's fully extended and locked his arm like a tard and has terrible trigger discipline.

>"Don't forget me"

The problem is that modern viewers are too brainwashed to just swallow shit constantly, that they can't relate to the character or plot concepts.

And then there's modern Teens (this boards main user base) who are entitled and used to getting everything they want just because they want it, who aren't yet ready to see how unfair life really is. In a genuine way, I mean.
Sure, theyll whine because there aren't enough black people in superhero movies and no womyn in gaems, but they are wholly unaware of what real life struggle actually is. All the "struggles" of their generation being social media related, or made up entirely. So how could they ever relate to a character or story like falling down? A story about real life problems.

Then there's the wannabe sjw types. Who just see a white man with white problems and need of privilege checking and blah, blah, blah. Unable to see beyond gender or color for a single instant to see that the story reaches beyond such things.

Personally, I see it as a movie without tropes. No villian, no evil plan, no cg capes flying around. Just a man crumbling and breaking free of the system that holds us all in place. In a bad way? Yes, but still a strong image. Weather you agree with his method or not, it's a striking series of events.

It's a great movie, but only to weirdos who still remember the 90s and what that whole mess was actually like. The last decade with real world societal problems, before the terrorism boogieman turned the world on its ear and began ruling everything.

MRA or a MGTOW not a SJW

Spot on

GAVE US THE BEST LINE IN THE HISTORY OF CINEMA

>FAGGOT SHIT!

>films Sup Forumstards will never understand

>Just a man crumbling and breaking free of the system that holds us all in place. In a bad way? Yes, but still a strong image. Weather you agree with his method or not, it's a striking series of events.

THis is a good point, and it is illustrated by the "Not Economically Viable" character Notice that he's wearing the exact same outfit as DFENS. His world is also crumbling, yet he doesn't lash out violently. Illustrating how there are multiple ways of dealing with problems that many people are facing. The movie is a pretty good character study of frustrated expectations and imagined obligations and what that does to one's psyche.

Nice ironic post. Upvoted.

He's obviously not supposed to be a good guy - the whole point of the last part of the movie was that he wasn't a normal guy who was driven to madness by unreasonable circumstances, he just had been a psychopath all along and you're meant to question how you yourself had assumed he was the good guy and sympathised with his clearly insane acts all day
I mean the first thing he does is smash up a store because he thinks the prices are too high - that's not a normal escalation

Pendergast was the hero
A guy that despite getting constant shit never compromised and stayed true to himself and got his happy ending

i don't think it's too crazy, but it's like you said in the last line, this centered around the whole "offshoring" and losing jobs concept that hit the blue-collars in the 80's and started hitting the white-collars in the 90's. it still happens, and there's still stories about it, but it doesn't catch as much attention as it did back then

youtube.com/watch?v=pZfva5xDNLU

i love this scene

>IT'S A DAY SPA!

What the fuck was up with his wife
That cunt was fucking mental

Taxi Driver did it better, Bickle didn't go from being stuck on traffic to a gun rampage in a matter of a day.

falling down is just like starship troopers in that the mainstream still don't understand it and think it's just pandering to evil white men, except unlike starship troopers even the film snobs can't see beyond that level. or maybe they just don't want to because mocking white people is in vogue.

It's also implied she killed her baby to become the center of attention again. SIDS my ass.

Neither did Michael Douglas' character, it's heavily implied this has been building up for months. We just see the breaking point and hear about the lead up indirectly.

>Hamburger does not look like the pics
>Shoot up an entire restaurant
Really great social commentary for sure. Made me think

>>Hamburger does not look like the pics
>>Shoot up an entire restaurant
typical americans

Months? More like years. You can see his anger at his wife that led to their divorce.

True, but I think he had only been laid off for a few months at the start of the movie.

Hi, I'd like to order breakfast please.

youtube.com/watch?v=8y8PwiTCoh8

>(((Siskel))) hated it

Hmm I wonder why...

Same with "God Bless America"

>"God Bless America"

This movie apes the action of Falling Down without understanding or incorporating any of the underlying themes and characterization that made Falling Down a good film.

It is a biopic from the future

>I'm the Bad Guy? How'd that happen? I did everything they told me to...

F

DFENS did nothing wrong.

Is this a movie that only white guys resonate with? Seems like everyone else thinks the protagonist is the bad guy.

lets see. a white guy who does his shit day to day and is constantly shit on by society goes on a quest to see his daughter. in this quest he is
>tried to be ripped off by an asian grocery store owner
>tried to be robbed by two spic gangbangers
>told to fuck off by some white trash construction workers when he asked a simple question
>almost raped by a neonazi repressed faggot
>called the police on by a cunt white woman who lies to the police about him and what hes done to her
>refused service from white wagecucks because he got there a minute late when they obviously still have breakfast sitting there in the warmer
>almost shot to death by some gangbanging spics he tried to deal with peacefully

its not about race, all races are shit on in the movie. its about stereotypes, Dfens is a stereotype having to deal with stereotypes and it shows that we cant work as a society if we all fall into our basic stereotypical behavior in our jobs/racial background. any race can appreciate this movie. well except maybe niggers cause i dont think theyre even in the film

You forgot getting shit on by a degenerate homeless bum while just trying to walk through a park and giving the guy his lunch.

And also being treated like shit and assaulted by old rich white (Jewish) guys on a golf course

why didn't they just serve him breakfast?

>there. see? that's the concept
love that line

lol imagine this movie coming out in theatres today

thinkpiece after thinkpiece

This movie was so cringy, I couldn't watch more than 20 minutes in.

>I'm so tired of all the bigots and people who tell dark humour, we have to kill them all!

The man would be a completely unsympathetic and irrationally angry Trump supporter who abuses animals and lashes out exclusively at minorities and women, for clearly stated racist and sexist reasons (he'd also be anti-Semitic in one scene), and he would be taken down by a smooth black detective and his trans partner.

I genuinely believe there would be nationwide "boycotts" of theatres and stuff like that

this movie is absolute horseshit

Butthurt shitlibs detected

Not an argument.

most of our problems are societie's fault. we don't live isolated lives, we live in a pre-determined environment largely created by our society.

>DUDE HE WAS A VICTIM OF SOCIETY THE SYSTEM MADE HIM DO IT LMAO

No.

D-FENS had a few good points, but he was a cunt to the burger place employees.

If you can't get your stupid ass to McDicks (or wherever) by 11am than fuck you, you get a burger.

Dummyyyyyy !!!! It’s the character study film. The end sequence being taken place on the pier where whole thing seem the stress that ppl nowadays holds, going nowhere & the 3rd party has to take the matter down is freakin awesome!!!

It was like 10:31 and they stopped serving at 10:30. And he was held up by some gangbangers trying to murder him.

That's a D-FENS problem, not a Burger Employee problem.

The first Death Wish is better. It even touches on the problems of society when he talks about (((modern architecture)))
It's also more kino

Yes, please learn basic sociology.

What?

mommy look i posted it again

As if "back to pol" was?! Kek.

A few years since I watched it, but remember being fucking glued to screen thru whole film.

another term for that would be Zeitgeist

You meant to post this in a Star Wars thread.

It's a movie about a normie white collar guy in the 90's who snaps from personal issues and decides not to take anymore bullshit. That's it. Don't need to over-think it

nope

>smug anime poster
>posts retarded brainlet opinion

EVERY FUCKING TIME

No, stop reading too far into it.

It's a guy who is sick to fuck of everything. It's office space if they had balls. Anyone in an office job has had these feelings.

I came close to driving a van through the front window of my old job until I left.

God I hate how this is one of the simplest, most straightforward movies out there. Fucking this, and Starship Troopers get misinterpreted by plebs all the time as a literal "woo masculinity fuck yeah" film, when really it's more of a cautionary tale on those sorts of ideals.
>subversion of the "Dirty Harry, Charles Bronson" movies where the angry white guy is always right. By the end of the film, he himself realizes it was all pointless violence, and grasping at straws. Even the 'bad' people in the film subject to his violence are still victims (yes, even the gang and white supremacist). He realizes he stood for nothing to begin with, which was his own fault, not society's.
>He is shown to have initial grievances, but they devolved into petty autistic nitpicking.
>Plebs don't get that the 'DFENS' represents the fact that Douglas, the baseball bat the clerk uses (for dee fens!), and the very industry Douglas' character relied on for meaning and security are in fact useless relics that can get you into more trouble than they can prevent. Douglas is obsolete, so is the baseball bat (gets the gook's store trashed instead), so is Douglas' toxic mentality that he is owed something from society any more than he owes those people his briefcase.

THE LITTLE NIGLET ON THE BIKE TEACHES HIM HOW TO FIRE THE LAW RUSSIAN PROPELLED GRENADE

PROBABLY THE FRIENDLIEST INTERACTION IN THE WHOLE MOVIE

I didn't like it and I usually like these types of films and want to relate to the characters. I was expecting the message to be one of sympathy towards D-FENS but the movie portrayed him completely negatively. By the end of the movie I was somewhat sad for him but he's truly a psycho. Those tapes prove that he was a psycho even when he had a family life - forcing his daughter on that horse and her crying

(con'td post)
>Briefcase is a symbol for "keeping up appearances". Douglas has been lying about having his job to his mom, and to society at large. He still commutes, carries an empty briefcase, and dresses corporate. Plebs miss the irony that, at the beginning of the movie when he leaves traffic (another metaphor that goes over their heads), he does so out of frustration for the traffic jam. But he's willingly subjecting himself to it! He's waiting in line for something he knows he's not even gonna get to, then fucking bitches and complains about it, and goes on a god damn killing rampage. Oh, and he's always getting mad at people for assuming things about him (that he's rich, that he's a white supremacist, that he's gonna hurt ppl when he sees himself as the hero), yet he does NOTHING to dispel their image of him. He shows the world this fake image of himself, then gets mad when the world accepts it for face value.To the onlooker, he IS a white supremacist angry toxic male. Even if he's not, who can blame the world for seeing him as dangerous when he's literally waving around guns.
you're so stupid, and your reddit spacing on a post so tiny proves it. It's not a "hard" movie to "get", and the fact that you STILL only got any meaning insomuch as the most surface and superficial details shows how dumb you are even more.

The movie is basically
>guy feels marginalized, and he's not entirely wrong to, but then does nothing to fix it
>takes his frustrations out in increasingly petty and violent ways
>can't stand that he's seen as this uptight white corporate guy with money and power, marginalized by both mainstream and fringe society. But he still pretends to have a job, be corporate, and be this paragon of virtue or whatever.
>Eventually realizes his folly, and suicides by cop when he knows there's no going back.
It's not the kind of movie that wants you to hold the main character in high regard. It's literally a lesson lot of you need to learn.

oh yea let's hear your obviously amazing opinion on this you fucking anti-culture marxist pig

did you even read the book?

>guy who just admitted he limpwrists his guns trying to pretend he knows about them

How many days did you lurk /k/ before you made this post? 4? Bet you're noguns.

> Fucking this, and Starship Troopers get misinterpreted by plebs all the time as a literal "woo masculinity fuck yeah" film, when really it's more of a cautionary tale on those sorts of ideals.

>quest to see his daughter
It's heavily implied that, while he had no real plan other than "I want to see my daughter", there was probably gonna be some drama that ended in him kidnapping his child or maybe harming the mother/himself.

Again, this is a pleb as fucking interpretation.

>locking your arm at the elbow

Im flabberghasted that you managed to solve a captcha desu

Teach me the best one-handed sub-machine gun stance, sensei.

What, starship troopers? No. But I know it's similar filmwise to op's movie, in that it kinda subverts your expectations. In ST, you kinda think "hey, what a cool society to live in", but by the end you realize it's all some big weird self-perpetuation farce built on lies. I've heard it's kind of a spoof of classic dystopian novels that show these fascistic worlds as all downsides. Instead, Starship Troopers shows you a bunch of upsides, before getting a bunch of lovable characters killed pointlessly and horrifically for a fake-ass cause.

Falling Down plays with your expectations in a similar way. Like a few anons pointed out, the movie fucks with you in that it makes you kind of sympathize with the anti-hero main character (Taxi Driver did the same thing), only to realize he stands for nothing, and is kind of just a fucking disturbed individual.

Damn good insight OP. You're right on every point.

And what the hell is going on here? A good topic on Sup Forums? Has hell frozen over? Is it the end of days?

None of the people you mention, such as the dealers or thugs, do anything that he does to others in the film. He terrorizes a restaurant full of innocent people because he wants breakfast. He's a pussy.

Falling Down threads always have good discussion and analysis.

Siskel had consistently shit tier opinions. The guy hated Boogie Nights for fuck's sake. Ebert was a genuine patrician

Just wanted to remind everybody that Falling Down had the same director as pic related.

Well I agree Douglas is holding it wrong. But that's not even really an "smg", since it doesn't have a stock. It's retarded to one-hand that, and you have no reason to do so. The most sensible way to hold that would be your trigger arm cocked 90 degrees at your side, elbow in, pointing your arm towards your target. Your supporting hand should be grasping the barrel shroud with my thumb and front 2 fingers (this is why they wanted to make them illegal, since it allowed purchase on modified weapons like in op pic), and i'd weave my last 2 fingeraround the bottom in that groove between the barrel and magwell. Tec9 is a shitty memegun though, and if it were some ghetto modified one like in op pic, that's how i'd hold it; not really use the sights, and spray from hip. If it were a legal semi auto only one, I would shoot it like a big handgun, with my supporting arm same as I described, but my right arm (nearly) locked out.

But again, I would never hold it like Douglas. You would only fully extend your arm like that if you were doing it one-handed, which is stupid. But you're equally retarded if you think you could actually hold it 1-handed WITHOUT locking your right arm out.

Yeah? And American Graffiti had the same director as Howard the Duck and Attack of the Clones. Not an argument.

Lucas didn't direct HtD

>But you're equally retarded if you think you could actually hold it 1-handed WITHOUT locking your right arm out.

That's fine, but either way you're fucking yourself if you shoot it the way he is holding it in that image, would you agree?

NOT ECONOMICALLY VIABLE
>NOT ECONOMICALLY VIABLE
NOT ECONOMICALLY VIABLE
>NOT ECONOMICALLY VIABLE
NOT ECONOMICALLY VIABLE

I trained with the US Marines and we watched Falling Down as an example of how to best hold a machine gun

Why would you lie on the internet?

The chamber is empty.

He produced he but he didn't direct it you chromosome hoarder

imdb.com/title/tt0091225/

I'm just sharing fun trivia, friend. :)

That's not what I said. I said that most of our problems are because of society, I also did not say that society made him do it. Most people who realize how shit our society truly is either end up depressed, or become addicted to alcohol/drugs, or commit suicide. Very rarely they burst out like this, but it does happen.
Ask yourself this: what kind of society regards psychopaths/sociopaths as role models to aspire to and gives them the most rewards?

>what kind of society regards psychopaths/sociopaths as role models to aspire to and gives them the most rewards?

Eerm, sweety. You live in a timeline where Drumpf is President.

>Most people who realize how shit our society truly is either end up depressed, or become addicted to alcohol/drugs, or commit suicide.

Which one are you?