Action Comics #775 storytime - What's So Funny About Truth, Justice and the American Way?

Who's ready for some FUCKING Superman?

Other urls found in this thread:

dropbox.com/s/9drxf9e60qoj93o/Action Comics Vol.1938 #775 (March, 2001).cbz?dl=0
youtube.com/watch?v=KCGlwx3L-Xk
youtube.com/watch?v=c__noWWtdZg
comicvine.gamespot.com/butch-matson/4005-61560/
youtube.com/watch?v=sjdnCC6n4xk
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

You're doing this because of tomorrow's issue aren't you?
If so then thanks for bringing us up to speed.

Why are you storytiming this op

mahnke art so fucking good what is he been on lately?

>Superman vs Sup Forums
I am gonna enjoy this

Classic.

This

Better file:
dropbox.com/s/9drxf9e60qoj93o/Action Comics Vol.1938 #775 (March, 2001).cbz?dl=0

Did it take him 7 hours to get there?

Love ya OP.

It's a DC intern providing backstory for the Manchester Black reveal tomorrow in Superman.

thread theme (the obvious): youtube.com/watch?v=KCGlwx3L-Xk

Fuck, I miss having the Kents around.

Even single pages like this give serious stories so much heart.

Will Smith and Tommy Lee Jones?

>Might Makes Right: the comic
I get what they were going for, but the execution is totally botched. Superman wins because he's more powerful, which has nothing to do with his morals.

What's tomorrow's Action about? Elite Rebirth?

Please tell me this is true.

that panel with the kids is so relevant

I didn't think Sup Forums would like Superman seeing as how divided it is these days between Sup Forums and /tumblr/ANTIFA, you'd think they'd favour superheroes who actually kill who they don't agree with than favour a goody two shoes superhero.

All the hints point to Manchester black as the main villain of the next superman arc

>Smokes
>Uses british expressions
>Is apparently using mind control on Krypto and the farmer
>The arc is called black dawn
>The solicits for tomorrow's issue reads "Jon wonders what's so great about truth, justice and the american way"

Plus Black has a history of attcking superman's family

Wasn't Black manager of the Teen Titans for awhile?
Also
>John Constantine meets Manchester Black never

We need WalLex shenanigans in Rebirth.

Are the Elite meant to be a stand-in for The Authority?

That's what I've heard.

Lex seems a bit confident about taking out the elite given that they are supposed to be more powerful than superman

Yes, although technically they only appeared once.
Then it was just Manchester.

>Superman wins because he's more powerful, which has nothing to do with his morals.

I can see how you read it that way, but let me provide a counter.

Superman shows that might equals right, but that it's flawed because he cannot be the judge of Manchester Black's teammates.

It also puts Manchester in the shoes of those he attacks and vilifies. In his mind he's the hero, just as Superman is the hero in our minds as we read. Manchester, and the reader, feel the tides turn, and therefore a clearer statement on 'why should Superman decide the lives of these people?'

Well, why should Manchester?

Supes sums it up in Superman fixed the problem, proved himself right to his villain, and showed that just because you have a gun pointed at the head of a bad guy doesn't mean shooting him is the only way to fix the problem. In fact, not shooting him may make him good.

The End.

That's kind of the point. A pragmatic, might makes right superhero sounds effective, but the moment the idealist plays by these rules it becomes a fucking nightmare.

Also, they killed civilians and that's against the law, ergo, superman is justified to use his powers to stop them.

>>The solicits for tomorrow's issue reads "Jon wonders what's so great about truth, justice and the american way"
Haha, oh wow. Though given how strong a misdirect SBP was for Mxy...

What's wrong with a no-kill policy?

Thanks.

Has anyone ever noted the beautiful irony in this page?

Manchester kills an alien space baby embryo, assuming because it might be a threat, in the presence of an alien space baby who grew to be the champion of truth and justice and hope for the modern age?

Killing an idea because of the risk it may have negative effects on people, instead of allowing that risk to be for the good and betterment of people?

Fair point, although I feel like that's not the message the comic is trying to get you to take away from it. For most of it Superman's argument is that the end doesn't justify the means, and he only switches to giving them a taste of their own medicine at the end.

Nothing wrong at all. Just commenting regarding the current political climate on Sup Forums, that I didn't think people would still care for a non-bipartisan superhero who doesn't believe in inherent violence to change anything for the better.

Didn't note that.

I think there's room for stories about both types, personally, and it's up to the writer to make them work rather than something inherent in the morals of the characters.

That's illuminating. Thank you.

That was Superman's point.

Superman is the most powerful person on the planet, but he's responsible and doesn't make himself into the law. He doesn't go around deciding what's right. He stops others from imposing their will upon people weaker than them, whether they take the form of just a rampaging asshole killing indiscriminately or people who want to work towards the greater good like the Elite.

Superman shows the Elite in the story that someone with a huge amount of power who decides what the law should be is really fucking scary.

I do think the story is a little strawman-y but the more times I read it the more clearly I see what Superman was intending to convey.

>I think there's room for stories about both types
Yeah. What Kelly was likely frustrated with at the time was that the sheer popularity of the Authority, Punisher, Spawn, etc. was making a lot of people call characters like Superman outdated for their no-kill policy.

So what I think the intent was with this was less to say "heroes who kill are bad" and more about trying to convey that Superman still absolutely has a place and a valid philosophy in the modern age, but didn't quite get that across. Maybe it would have been more fair if it was more than one issue.

We were having this discussion in the Wonder Woman thread yesterday; Wondie, Superman and Batman don't need to have their values change, because there are other characters that are made specifically to explore the more cynical (for lack of a better word) or maybe pragmatic values, namely most of the WildStorm imprint.

2001 reference, right?

More of a reference to parts of the Authority.

Warren Ellis did a lot of cosmic horror stuff like that.

Action 800 is much better than this

>He stops others from imposing their will upon people weaker than them, whether they take the form of just a rampaging asshole killing indiscriminately or people who want to work towards the greater good like the Elite.

???????????? Does North Korea and most of Africa not exist in the DC universe? Superman's a fucking jackass, he's not even slightly responsible.

>I can say that because I am a leader myself

That bit is always so satisfying to read

Fine, you ungrateful fuck.

youtube.com/watch?v=c__noWWtdZg

If there was a man locked alone in a room with a button that would kill one man to save a hundred, would Superman say that man has a moral obligation to press the button or to not?

I didn't mean to bully, but ty

Are you saying that he should be policing other countries just because he's able to?

I don't think Superman would blame the man regardless of what choice he made and instead the one who set the game up in the first place

I've never read this

Superman would say "that kind of choice is no choice at all".

Then would console the guy for doing everything he could, no matter what he did.

I love every riff they do on the original Action cover.

comicvine.gamespot.com/butch-matson/4005-61560/

>Faster than a speeding bullet
>More powerful than a locomotive
>Able to leap tall buildings in a single bound
>Strange visitor from another planet

Remember, Sup Forumsmrades, do good to others and every man can be a Superman.

Not exactly, but you can be a super man.

Good answers

I shouldn't even be awake. I just love posting comics too much.

youtube.com/watch?v=sjdnCC6n4xk

Superman actually

Though its nots as good as he's previous stuff