Why do Japanese animation directly adapt their comics, including animating the art style of it...

Why do Japanese animation directly adapt their comics, including animating the art style of it, but western shows based on comics make them more or less original? I haven't seen a show that adapted it's comic's art style from the west.

How cool would pic related of been if they adapted Kirby's art?

>Japanese animation directly adapt their comics
By working mangaka's to death but paying them next to nothing, and being immersed in a culture that sees 20 hour work days as normal.

American studios send out model sheets of what they want characters to look like from different angles, then just ship them to Korea to do all of the work as fast as possible.

No idea why, but in comics it's at least in part because older comics "house style" is not really as suited to adaptoin to other media, and more famous modern comics are the same way; they either use a style more suited to still panels or are too complex for regular animated series.

That said, some REALLY old cartoons took pages literally right out of comic panels and animated them.
Got my first taste of comics with those actually.

>How cool would pic related of been if they adapted Kirby's art?
Go watch the Silver Surfer animated series. It's Kirby as fuck.

Has more to do with the studio.

99% of Mangas keep the exact same artist/style. Comics go through artist per run

Is that series worth a watch or is it forgotten because its not good? I tried watching but the voices were a bit grading.

I see, so the real question is... why are western comics so shit

Beats me. Kirby and Stan kept a long run but in the end, most big comic artists don't own the characters they work with so there is no concrete style

Im just joking, up until the 90s or so it was more normal for marvel artists and writers to have really fucking long runs. There are some instances though, like the DC animated movies, where they dont even attempt to adapt the art. Take the Killing Joke for example.

Someone's never read/watched Tintin or the 80s Lucky Luke cartoon.
Most Eurocomics keep their distinctive art style when adapted but those 2 even adapted 1 album per episode basically word for word.

Oh it's one of those threads. Adapting something directly is not inherently superior you weeb.

Westerners themselves tend to be far more individualistic than easterners. They'll always want to leave THEIR stamp on things and not just promote someone else's work. Its why many animated series/hollywood films do things their own way or why characters and relationships can change so suddenly in the hands of a new writer.

Each of those adaptations is worse than the original

>implying
>X-Men (the movie) sucks

Its not the early 2000s, user. The movie stinks.

Harsh truth: because Western comics are shit, while manga generally isn't. Same applies to cartoons, of course, but at least there used to be actual effort put into those back in the day.

And I'm saying this as someone who doesn't even like manga, or anime for that matter.

>And I'm saying this as someone who doesn't even like manga, or anime for that matter.

Sure, whatever you say. Now go back to Sup Forums.

>Comics go through artist per run
These days they're lucky to last an entire ARC!

I don't like them for personal reasons, one being that I don't feel like appropriating Japanese culture.

>up until the 90s or so it was more normal for marvel artists and writers to have really fucking long runs.
Right. And then a bunch of their Top Names decided to fuck off and form Image Comics and they (the big two) have worked pretty consistently since then to be sure that that never happens again.

The good ones are lazy or over worked

Comics don't have one direct serial, just lore. Said lore is often malleable, if not has to be adapted for modern audiences since the original stories are decades old. Not to mention most comic studios tend to experiment with different types of directions like Kitty Pryde humping Star-Lord and whatever the fuck they're doing with Spider-Man lately.

Cartoon crews have to deal with comic books that are decades old, have been written and drawn by various people with different styles and interpretations of the lore. So they have to pick and choose what to implement. The art style will also change either as a way to keep it contemporary, make it easier to animate, or to make their own interpratation as well.

This
Also it's not a bad thing to replicate something in Japanese art, while in the West there's a pressure for changing something to not be accused of plagiarism - sometimes it works well (Under the Red Hood, For the Man Who Has Everything), sometimes not so much (Killing Joke, Judas Contract)

direct adaptions?

when the fuck was captain america a pokemon again

My Hero Academia has been better cape than most cape comics in recent years.

>to not be accused of plagiarism
But this thread is specifically about licensed adaptations, is it not? Kinda besides the point...

>That said, some REALLY old cartoons took pages literally right out of comic panels and animated them.
The last one that do\id that was 90'S F4 and X-men

>I haven't seen a show that adapted it's comic's art style from the west.
This one did a really good job capturing the feel of the later comics' artwork.

this guy probably loves the MCU