So I'm thinking of doing some videos on comics that don't get enough love/discussion. I've noticed that some series...

So I'm thinking of doing some videos on comics that don't get enough love/discussion. I've noticed that some series, despite being great never really get that much attention (pic obviously related).

I'd like to do a series of short 'Intro to X' primer guides and also maybe some more in depth documentary style histories or comprehensive rundowns, with interview excerpts from people who worked on the series and neat trivia and stuff like that. (maybe even see if I can get interviews with creators specifically for some episodes)

Do you think anyone would be interested in watching that kind of thing? I know watching stills of comic panels with a dude talking over it will likely live or die based on how informative/entertaining I can make it (no forced humor but not too dry and wiki regurgitating with still jpgs kind of thing) I'm not looking for e-fame, I just want to do what I can to help promote stuff that is actually good and do it in a way that isn't spergy 'oh gawd you have to read X it's just good' kinda shit.

Are there any do's and don'ts you guys think I should aim for/avoid? Any series you think deserve the treatment? Any kind of thing you haven't seen a channel do before that you'd like to see?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=V4HRY0J5m2M
youtube.com/watch?v=P80UTMrpFIY
youtube.com/watch?v=BbynCFZC_Vg
youtube.com/watch?v=fBqwYqgWx8I
youtube.com/channel/UCQvE-HMyYc_IUizEz9Ar2GQ/videos
youtu.be/LQPywywN2Oo
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

bamp

Not many people do it, and most well known was Linkara so that's a low fucking bar to beat, user.

Good luck

Well I do comic reviews for 2.5 years now. I recently did a Usagi character profile. I try to make more people read usagi and other unknown comics. Hard work to get them out of Marvel / DC

bless your soul, child, what you want to do sounds exaclty like the kind of shit I want to watch

first, the most important thing is your audio setup, nobody is going to watch your shit if it sounds like ass, spend some dosh on good equipment

second, presentation is key, look up some tutorials on editing, and try to make some nice thumbnails because people do judge by the cover, something flashy for the normies but not too clickbait because you will scare jaded people like me away

the rest is up to you, I shilled these a couple of times but these are some videos I like, take out of them the elements you like and scap anything you consider cringeworthy, they all have some quality thats really lacking in the sea of "ASMR whispering page turning videos"

youtube.com/watch?v=V4HRY0J5m2M
youtube.com/watch?v=P80UTMrpFIY
youtube.com/watch?v=BbynCFZC_Vg
youtube.com/watch?v=fBqwYqgWx8I

>No capeshit
>Good audio

The only two things that matter.

forgot to shill some comics

I will never stop mentioning Mouse Guard at every chance I get, its great, it sold well but I dont see people talk about it more often, probably because we are still waiting for the next mainline volume

The Metabarons is space opera done by Jodorowsky, if you know anything about the guy, you know you are in for insanity in a biblical scale, from space whales to a guy who drives a spaceship using the ghost of his dick

Blacksad is some hard noir with animal people, dont let the potential furfagottry fool you, its fucking amazing

off the top of my head: Cerebus, Thorgal, Sillage/wake, The Eternaut, anything illustrated by Moebius, Slaine, Prophet.

show the goods, faggot, let see how you stack up

it's hard work to get normies out of mainstream media.

I think that if you want to promote unnoticed comics with videos, you should start with videos about comics in general, then when you've got people listening you go on into the hidden gems.
If you straight out start with the obscure stuff, the only people that will watch or be interested will be the ones that already know about them, making the whole point null.

Sounds like an amazing idea. But it needs to be done right.

have got it. You need:

1) A good audio setup. Read up on it.
2) Style. Look up other "analyzing stuff" channels on Youtube, even about movies or music or vidya or food or whatever. Copy what they do right, don't do what they do wrong. Creativity's like shitting: you can't produce anything if you don't eat first.
3)Don't start straight out with the most obscure stuff: start by sidestepping the most popular comics, *then* decisively moving away from them. The sad truth's that doing an underrated Batman story will bring you more viewers than doing Lone Wolf And Cub. But you can easily you get people hooked up with Kieth's Batman and then hit with The Maxx.
4) This is a personal suggestion, not very objective, but, keep it professional. Don't sperg out. Make your videos come out on time. No gimmicks: just comics. Do a shit fucking ton of research on what you're working on, write a script of what you're gonna say and have multiple takes of it. You wanna do something, do it right.
4)Post a list of the series *you* consider underrated and needing this video treatment in this thread, so everyone can just add to it.

I'd love to see what you do user, where can we find your stuff? Won't bully.

Thanks for the advice user!

I've got a decent mic and audio setup so it won't be a tinny phone mic or what have you. I won't be showing my face most likely, so it'll all depend on my editing skills in regards to visuals, comic panels and artwork etc, I'll be using a free video editing suite to start which I'm currently looking up tutorials for. Focusing on scripts first.

I'd like to eventually get creators involved, so I'm not sure if I'd be better served as a podcast than a video series, but I don't see why I can't do both, really. I'll be scoping out your links, thanks again!

Noted. Does Hitman count as cape? Or Major Bummer? I'd like to count Starman but it certainly wouldn't be in my opening lineup. I just want an excuse to re-read starman.

Never read mouse guard or metabarons. I enjoyed Blacksad, got the art of book which has interviews in it a great read. Especially seeing how they do a bunch of redraws and repaints of panels to get the feel right. Insane workload those guys. But all great recs, thanks user.

Is this out yet? I really want to read it already.

Excellent point user. I'm wary about stuff like 'top 5 comics your kids should read" or "5 series you've never heard of but should read" kind of stuff. But any ideas for general comic topics, without treading too hard into Marvel/DC territory? I'd prefer to avoid TV/Movies which most comics are going these days.

Thanks user, some great ideas! I'm new to video making but I do watch a ton and read a bunch, so there is that. I'm considering having a bunch of scripts done and thinking of series before I even start releasing anything. Like creator profiles on independent creators and series retrospectives kind of thing.

>Is this out yet? I really want to read it already.
July

4)Post a list of the series *you* consider underrated and needing this video treatment in this thread, so everyone can just add to it.

Some of it would be what I consider underrated, some I just really want to cover. inb4 shit taste
I'm just spitballing

>Usagi Yojimbo
>Amulet
>Bone
>Jimmy Corrigan
>Life and Times of Scrooge McDuck
>Achewood's Great Outdoor Fight
>Sam and Max Surfing the Highway
>The Mask
>Blacksad
>some euro stuff, like tintin/asterix/ankama stuff
>Abominable Charles Christopher
>Transmet
>Maybe some Dredd
>Quantum and Woody
>Love me Nice
>some stuff from First Second, like Tune or Pang
>Rutabaga: The Adventure Chef
>anything by the etherington brothers (maybe Malcom Magic since it was the first thing of theirs I read, or Monkey Nuts)

But yeah, if you guys have any suggestions or criticisms I'd love to hear them.

Comic strips would also be a good place to look - next chance you get, pick up a copy of The Comics Revue.

Shilling my favorite yt comic channel

youtube.com/channel/UCQvE-HMyYc_IUizEz9Ar2GQ/videos

>Review and discussion of comic books as an artistic medium intended for adults. No splashy graphics, screaming t'weens, unboxings, or TV and movie discussions, just real comic talk.

Just do what these guys do. Be aware though, if you're doing it right, unfortunately you won't get a lot of views.

>I'd like to eventually get creators involved, so I'm not sure if I'd be better served as a podcast than a video series, but I don't see why I can't do both, really. I'll be scoping out your links, thanks again!

you should totally do both, I cant think of a comic centered podcast thats actually good

do you have a channel up already, even if you have no videos yet? Ill give you a free subscription so I can see what you come up with first

youtu.be/LQPywywN2Oo

There it is. I really wonder if it's any good

hey OP

here is an example of what you dont do, the whole thing feels like a goddam school presentation

study it in detail

are there even any good comics related youtube channels? I can't find anything other than capeshit.