What is the King's best work and why?

What is the King's best work and why?

Thor: Ragnarok
They'll finally use his stuff in something that matters.

The Marvel Universe. He created it all, even Spider-Man.

Jack Kirby never did Ragnarok.

The Eternals, maybe.
I liked what I could read of Sky Masters: damn, that was pretty to look at. And it's funny how they achieved cliffhangers almost every 4 panels.

His Machine Man is super underrated

Fantastic Four, though Stan had a lot more influence on that than most give him credit for. By the time of Galactus, it was mostly Kirby.

Thor was also as much Lee as Kirby early on, but eventually became all Kirby.

If you mean a complete work done solely by Kirby, it's the entire Fourth World saga. It needs to be considered altogether because of what an incredible mythology it creates, though the actual stories are some of the weaker ones of his career.

The thing with Kirby was that even though he eventually became as masterful a storyteller as Gardner Fox, his characters were always weak, which is where Lee excelled. That's what makes FF so great: you have the strong characters and colorful writing of Lee with Kirby's incredible stories, art, and massive concepts. Even by the time that Lee was barely doing anything, the strength of the characters was still owed to Lee.

With Fourth World, I felt that Kirby's ideas and mythology got so big that the stories became almost "filler", ways to introduce this mythology. They were always interesting just because Kirby was a serious pro at that point, but again like Fox, when you've written literally THOUSANDS of stories in your career, they can become a bit rote.

New Gods and it's not even close.

Also a quick note: Thor was one of the only big Marvel comics that actually suffered early on probably because of Lee. Regardless of whether Kirby or Lee originally came up with Thor, the finished product was more of the superhero style Lee specialized, and as time went on became more of the high-concept scifi thing that would define Kirby for the rest of his career. This is probably why early Thor is so boring and more about the dual Donald Blake identity that everyone hates.

casualfag here. Maybe we should look at the contenders? Because it's a big fucking body of work of his.

New Gods for sure.

My brothers.
His Marvel work is undoubtedly good but I really love what he did at DC, especially Fourth World. Kamandi is also very good.

Omega men

For me, it's Kamandi and Fantastic Four. Fantastic Four was the beginning of a lot of Marvel's best characters and aspects, Kamandi is just crazy and I fucking love it.

I found the Marvel Treasury Edition for 2001 a Space Odyssey at a used books store last weekend. Magazine sized Kirby art

The first issue of OMAC blew my mind when I was 12. The rest of them were still good but that one floored me.

"So how long have you jaguars been running this hotel?"

His thousand-yard stare in an elevator with a jaguar lift boy really killed it.

his kids

I'm not sure I'd agree with that. I'd legit say that the characters of Darkseid and Orion as written by Kirby are some of the best characters I've read in comics. The strength of his characters, in comparison to every other writer's handling of them, is by far the most striking thing about FW.

If anything I'd say Kirby's weakness in FW was plotting, not characters or themes.

the Fourth World stuff

the sad part is people actually believe this

I think it's a bit of both.
There are some characters that are more there to serve the overall framework of Kirby's mythology, and then there are Darkseid, Scott, and Orion especially who are done magnificently.

Plotting was also an issue, but Kirby was trying to push this narrative across a few different fronts so each of them did only a little bit of the work. The fact that they were all short lived meant that the conclusions had to wrap up and I think people resent the Hunger Dogs for having that burden thrust upon it.
While I think Hunger Dogs is a pretty good finale...the basic structure could have been tightened - but that's really with hindsight.

The entire project was something unique in that moment, the kinks and all.

That scan looks fucking incredible, wish most old comics could be preserved like that rather than the old-ass scans you find in most torrents.

Captain Victory and the Galactic Rangers

Out of the lots of good shit he created it's New Gods

there's a new 4th World omni getting released in december, you guys better grab it if you don't have the old ones yet

His work for the 1969 production of Julius Caesar, of course.

I saw.

Do you have any links about it? I wasn't able to find it on DC's website but I'm super stoked they're compiling the 4 books into 1.