Archie Sonic News

Sonic #291 Listed As Cancelled, Email Going To Subscribers About Sonic Comics Later In April

>However, the bigger news comes from the link given, which acknowledges information from a call with an Archie representative named Lisa. She seemed “very knowledgable about the Sonic situation” according to the forum moderator who relayed the news. According to what they learned, Archie is planning to email all subscribers by the end of April (yes, April was specifically said) that will let them know what is going on with both Sonic The Hedgehog and Sonic Universe. She also said that, if the comics get cancelled, Archie will offer store credit or a refund for the subscription. What is rather interesting is that she acknowledged directly that Sonic readers “wouldn’t probably be interested in Archie”.

tssznews.com/2017/04/19/sonic-291-listed-as-cancelled-email-going-to-subscribers-about-sonic-comics-later-in-april/

It's looking like the end for Archie Sonic.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=4uLAeyBk-3I
youtube.com/watch?v=vt1Pwfnh5pc
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

n-no more honey the cat?

I suppose not.

Yes! Yes! Yes! Die Sonic die!

Also FUCK the current new Captcha system. It fucking sucks with the constant "Cannot connect" bullshit. This website is going to shit or rather is shit and became shittier.

Well that sucks

Who will pick up the lisence? Boom, Dynamite, or DC?

Who will get the license now? IDW? DC?

SEGA might not even bother getting another publisher.

It's okay, you all have the Lara-Su Chronicles to look forward to, ehehehehe...

That'd be a crying shame, and just when the comic was getting ready to adapt Mania, too.

Hopefully DC so we get an official Sonic/Flash crossover.

>10 issues away from 300
Damn, they were so close.

After all the bullshit and legal headaches that Penders trudged up, I have a feeling Sega won't be giving the license to anyone else for a long LONG time.

DC could actually run a pretty good Sonic comic. Probably with a dozen spinoffs like "Sonic Heroes", "Agents of GUN", "All-Star Eggman" and whatnot.

This. They don't actually need to have a comic at all, since the amount of promotion it brings is minimal.

So does this mean we'll never see the SatAM characters in official media again?

I wonder how Ben Hurst would feel if he was alive to see this.

I hope Pender's releases his book, and only one person ie himself buys it. I hope he realizes he has wasted over a decade of his life on this and then kills himself. I hope the same for the dude who made the ripoff of vandal savage who sued and got this comic cancelled

This. Cartoons are BIGGER promotion material due to easy accessibility. To quote the creator of Boondocks:

"You can get away with a lot in comics because no one really reads comics."

>no mega man #56
god dammit, why do the good die young?

I wonder if Penders is aware he directly killed Western Sonic comics? I mean, two lawsuits and a highly visible bitchfest, but I wonder if he realizes just how much he ruined for people...

The comic is never coming back (thanks Penders and your shitty OCs)

The main question now is will SEGA take initiative and put the Archie characters in a game. They probably kept them out of games to give Sonic fans an incentive to buy the comics to see them. They can't really waste 20 years or so of established characters, right?

Because, despite them improving their quality, too few people were still buying their comics.

>aware of comic for years, couldn't enjoy it since the writing as complete ass
>Flynn takes over, suddenly the comic is good
>Mecha-Sally arc finally does something interesting with Sally, for the first time ever
>gets aborted half-way through because Penders
>Full on reset happens because of Penders, shit sucks but I'm sure Flynn will make it worthwhile
>Flynn introduces Thunderbolt
>comic is fucking awesome
>Penders convinces Fulop to sue, comic is getting cancelled now

I'm glad SEGA failed their way out of the console market years ago. I'm glad Archie is losing one of their highest selling titles. I'm glad Penders will never be hired by anyone ever again. All three deserve to suffer for this shit. SEGA deserves it for jerking fans around for BS reasons. Archie deserves it for letting Penders run Sonic into the ground for years. And Penders deserves it for being Penders.

what about flynn? he's stuck writing jughead. with mark waid

I highly doubt Sega gives much of a shit about the Archie characters, especially the Japanese branch, certainly not enough to put them in a game when they already have characters that can fill their roles adequately.

Flynn doesn't deserve the shit that happens to him, nor is he responsible for the bad things that happened.

I feel great pity for Flynn.

I think a part of him is aware that he has no audience for the book, which is why he's dragging his feet on it.

Apparently this was more of a ploy to get Archie/Sega to pay him royalties and basically make money for doing nothing, but it kind of backfired because even though he has his characters he now has to actually work to make money off them and all Archie has to do to avoid paying him royalties is not use his characters or reprint his stuff.

Sure, he ended up fucking Archie but he's ultimately gained nothing.

but that's my point. flynn got fucked over twice, 3 times if you count mega man being cancelled. and now he is stuck writing jughead with Eat It Grandpa Mark Waid. He doesn't deserve this

>The main question now is will SEGA take initiative and put the Archie characters in a game
No. SoJ has never liked them. Once the comic is gone these characters will never be seen again.

He gained an impressive level of notoriety and hatred from people who otherwise would have no idea who he is. That must count for something.

They don't pay his bills.

>They can't really waste 20 years or so of established characters, right?
They can and they will. Sega has never been fond of the "licensed" creations and there's very little chance they'll ever use them. Or I guess I should say there WAS little chance, because after the legal nightmare this Penders/Archie thing has caused, any tiny chance there may have been of Sega using these characters has basically been destroyed. Everything Archie will be poison to them.

Genesis arc will never be finished

>Sonic/Flash crossover
>Sonic goes to the DCU
>now has the ability to tap into the speed force
>combine it with Super Sonic

NOW I AM BECOME FAST
EATER OF SLOW

>all Archie has to do to avoid paying him royalties is not use his characters or reprint his stuff
I think Ken seriously overestimated how important his creations were to the comic. Having to remove them caused a headache for Flynn and Archie but ultimately none of them were ever a draw- the issue was just one of adjusting continuity rather than dealing with the loss of characters that were crucial to the comic. Ken probably thought they'd have no way of continuing the comic without using any of his characters but they managed to do it.

Hell, Sega has never been fond of half of their own creations. They have dozens of IP's they are just sitting on with no plans to do anything with.

Considering its Sega and with all the recent trouble Penders/Archie has given them It honestly has the real potential to just not come back.

Very well possible Sega won't even allow archie or another publisher like Darkhorse to republish the series in some kind of collected format any time in the foreseeable future because of Penders too.

>inb4 new publisher gets the series
>some kind of evil sonic clone is made and Penders attempts to sue again triggering another shitshow

No, they'll start a Sonic comic to go alongside their Hanna Barbara line, Sonic is no way big enough to support more than one book per month, especially compared to other DC properties..

What's exciting is it's not just Flash and Superman crossovers we could get out of this, it's Looney Tunes and HB characters, like Speedy Gonzales and Scooby-Doo, or even shit like Thundercats and He-Man, crossing over. On top of that, we could get crossovers with IDW and Boom, since DC does that quite a bit, so shit like TMNT and Power Rangers are possible.

Why does Hyper Super Sonic doesn't exist anymore?

>Cartoons are BIGGER promotion material due to easy accessibility
Can Boom airing only on Boomerang even be considered "easy accessibility"?

The Sonic Mega Drive series will also never be finished.

Its almost as if Megaman isn't interesting and only austis like Egoraptor like it.

...I kinda want that to happen to IDW because I'm still pissy about ROM.

Because it's a redundant transformation

He probably doesn't care about anything that you said

Because Sega says the Super Emeralds are non-canon.

Well hope you're happy, Penders, you killed the comic for your shitty OC's

Many people love Mega Man, it has an almost Transformers-level multiverse full of lore and shit that people like, plus 20+ years of mostly good games.

Which makes shit like this all the more infuriating.

>folding the Sonic multiverse into DC's multiple multiverses

a beautiful clusterfuck

This Nintendo offered Sega a chance to bring Jetset radio and they refused wanting to focus on Sonic.

really the biggest issue with the Pendering was the removal of various villains that were only connected to Penders by a shoestring at most (Scrouge, Finentivues) and only came to shine under Flynn

>They have dozens of IP's they are just sitting on with no plans to do anything with.
Isn't that 90% if video game creators nowadays?

Penders prides himself over having never played a Sonic game in his life, the man never cared about Sonic as a series, he just wanted to use the comic as a platform for his fanfiction. What he failed to realise was that people gave a shit about his stories because Sonic was in them, it wasn't the other way around.

>no more chinchilla
>no more deer waifu
>jellyfish pirate
why live

Better situation than the artists right now.

Yardley! was just talking about how he's getting no work at all right now.

How much money would it cost me to just convince SEGA to continue the comic license?

Serious question, I may or may not have one the lottery earlier today.

Sally has a slim chance of showing up. She was designed by a jap and is SEGA property instead of Archie property like Bunnie/Antoine/Rotor(they're all rip)

This thread's theme song
youtube.com/watch?v=4uLAeyBk-3I

>nuh muh mahvel

My guess is that they will call this an "indefinite hiatus"

multi millions

>Sonic Mega Drive series will never be finished

So Chris-chan suicide soon?

The Publishers sue.

Sega and Capcom both are essentially sitting on a treasure trove of IPs but because of the way Japanese publishers work if it ain't super successful and retardedly huge (pokemon) it'll ultimately end up buried never to see the light of day again (Monster Rancher)

Would 20 million be enough? I could give that up and still be loaded.

I never said there was any dignity to it. I just want fucking reprints.

>sue
sure*

doubtful, if nothing else characters like Sally will live on through autsists like Chris and r34 artists (of which there are many that do it almost entirely revolving around Sonic characters)

>if it ain't super successful and retardedly huge (pokemon) it'll ultimately end up buried never to see the light of day again
Isn't that how ALL publishers work? Even Ubisoft claims they won't make games that they aren't 100% sure that they can make into a multigame franchise

They can't run their company worth a DAMN. Since the DC died, they have just been publishing games on other platforms. And you know what? They went near bankruptcy in 2013.

Look at all these IP's they are doing NOTHING with:

After Burner
Altered Beast
Bleach(yes, THAT Bleach!)
Crazy Taxi
Ecco
Golden Axe
Gunstar Heroes
House of the Dead
Nights
Outrun
Panzer Dragoon
Shinobi
Streets of Rage

Not a one of them has had a game since 2014 at the latest.

Oh God, that's what Penders looks like?

I'd never seen a picture of him before.

god bless you user, i wish you luck

He looked better with the moustache

Well that sucks

I remember during the Sup Forums ride, someone posted a comparison of Penders while he was writing Sonic and Penders now, and another user commented that he'd never seen someone get uglier AFTER shaving off the pedo stache.

Does this mean that we're gonna get a farewell ride?

Funny how it was't so bad at first when the DC was discontinued Sonic Adventure was released on other platforms, Jetset was on the Xbox heck we even got Phantasy star episode 1,2 and 3 on the GC but as time went on Sega just stopped trying.

>forgetting Virtua Fighter (like Sega is)

youtube.com/watch?v=vt1Pwfnh5pc

In some ways yea, in some ways no

Western publishers tend to try to eat one anothers IPs up just so they can have the publishing rights to said IPs. It usually isnt much but most western series at least have a chance to be rereleased at some point.

Whereas many of the older more established Japanese publishers will throw an IP down a well then look at you funny if fans start asking for a rerelease/new game/artbook/etc. somewhere down the line.

Nintendo and Sony are 2 of the rare examples of japanese publishers that at least try to bring back their older more forgotten IPs from time to time and thats in thanks much in part of said companies western branches and the occasional big japense head that can see the profit in rereleases

If it is indeed cancelled. There should be one last one.

>I live in a world where Sonic Universe dies within my lifetime
Not if I can help it!

The Sonic games have enough annoying, unnecessary side characters as it is. Why the fuck would ANYBODY want more of them, least of all the nips?

The thing is, the games are great, but nobody plays them for the story.

Who is this penders guy and how did he fuck things up so I'll never be able to get a conclusion to Sonic Mega Drive?

One character I shall truly miss is Omega's comic incarnation went from bland as dirt in the games to having actually personality in the comics.

RIP

some guy from archie who had never played a sonic game and couldn't draw the characters made a bunch of OC's of knuckles cousins, thought SEGA and Bioware were ripping him of using echinda OC's in Dark Brotherhood so he sued and won, instead of paying royalties to Penders for the use of knuckles' cousins they just reset the entire canon to what it is now. Archie likely is sick of all this shit and is just nixing it

>Archie had butterfingers with the contracts they had with various writers/artists
>Penders sued claiming he owned all the characters he'd created over the years thinking he'd make it rich because Archie was republishing collections and wanted money everytime his OCs appeared
>Archie has to reboot everything to clear the board of the Penders taint
>Sega threatens Archie not to let this shit happen again
>Penders being the first class asshole that he is and likely mad he didn't get the checks and amount he wants from Archie/Sega encourages his buddy, another dickbutt that worked on Sonic to sue for his OCdonutsteels as well
>Scott Fulop sues even though all his donut steels had already been removed in the pendering citing he's owed money for all the times Archie used his donutsteels over the years claiming they've all been used 1000s of time

In summary Archie had various retarded dickbutts over the series for years before finally cleaning out the closet and in response said dickbutts have been wanting to see said series burnt to the ground since

How did Penders know that Archie lost his contract, we'll never know but I honestly wouldn't be surprised if Penders took it with him/destroyed it on the way out th door at this point

To the best of my recollection, someone feel free to correct anything I might have gotten wrong:

Longtime writer for Archie. Wrote for years but was never appointed as the creative head, mostly puttering around with his Echidna OCs that finally got their own book. Eventually he left, though many colleagues describe him as being shitty to work with.

Now, like most of their guys, he was contracted and never actually owned any of his "creations" (especially as the IP was licensed out anyway) but he never seem to understand that. When Bioware was contracted by SEGA to make Sonic Chronicles, Penders was outraged that they seemed to lift ideas from his work and, along with indignation over not being paid royalties for reprints of stories using his characters (not stories he wrote, mind you, ones involving characters he had created) he launched a lawsuit at Archie and SEGA. This ordinarily wouldn't have gone anywhere, but Archie's shady business practices and poor bookkeeping meant they didn't have any physical copies of the old writers' contracts... so they had no legal proof against Penders's claims. So, fearing SEGA might pull the contracts (they were busy buying Sammy at the time) Archie settled out of court and rebooted the entire line without anything Penders was even remotely involved with, even characters who other writers had actually done something with beyond their initial creation.

All well and good.

But then Scott Fulop, another former Sonic writer from Archie, was approached by Penders and given the idea to launch his own lawsuit over the exact same goddamn thing, given that Archie doesn't have the paperwork. Fulop did so, and SEGA, having had enough, finally pulled the plug.

If by "personality" you mean "discount HK-47", which, let's be honest, he already was, then sure.

Volnutt getting BTFO

Theres a screencap that sums it up excellently. Wish I saved it.

No the contracts were apparently lost in a flood. And since Ken had friends in Archie's management they probably let it slip to him.

Flood? I heard fire.

Or careless intern with a shredder.

Seconding a request for this, I know someone capped it.

Ashes to ashes, etc.

So long Sally, don't let the door hit your ass on the way out. I'd wish you good luck, but I don't like to lie.

I've heard both, but the important thing is that that shit was gone when Archie actually needed it

Shut up Boco.

Who the fuck said you could come back inside?

I would, but I'm enjoying myself too much.