What was the deal with this guy?

What was the deal with this guy?

dude he's at your house right now and stuff lol
david lynch deep writing

huehuehuehuehuehueheuheuheuhhalksdhfkshakfh

hes a big guy

He's an affectation

Give me back my phone.

am i a brainlet or is this lynchs most confusing film. ive seen it twice and i dont get it at all

Lost Highway is basically a horror movie about being cuckolded. Robert Blake's character is some kind of demon that feeds on people's jealousy/suspicion and pushes them towards anger and violence.

He shows up in Bill Pullman's life when his wife is hanging all over that other guy Andy, and sends him away to get drinks for them. The scene plays out in a bizarre way, but what happens? He calls his own home, and another man answers, another image meant to play with his fear that he's being cheated on.

Later on in the film, when Robert Loggia's character suspects his girlfriend is sleeping with Balthazar Getty, the mystery man is sitting there with him while he makes a threatening phone call. Then he shows up after the sex scene in the desert, menacing Balthazar Getty's character with a video camera, like a private detective that "caught them in the act." Then he's there again when Bill Pullman murders Robert Loggia in the desert.

The movie's basically cutting bizarrely across a couple different scenarios where Patricia Arquette is always the kind of untrustworthy whore that makes men go crazy, and Robert Blake is the devil on their shoulder telling them to get mad and hurt somebody over what she's done.

nah

yes

This. Lynch deals in a lot of meta narrative. The subject of the story here isn't as important as the object of the story. It's like a fable.

We've met before haven't we

nah lynch says no

Robert Loggia and Robert Blake weee god tier in this movie

to which part?

your whole post. rewrite your analysis

no, you write a better one, faggot. I stand by everything I said. There's no way you could miss that it's a movie about cuck-rage, the theme of infidelity is the only thing that stays consistent throughout the film

his face is moving away from his head

ive never seen the movie i just watch the mystery man clips and lynch interviews on youtube

pleb filth

he was an elaborate hoax artist like david blaine

ive heard it said that this movie is the inverse of mulholland drive. sounds nice but eh

Robert Blake and Balthazar Getty are both Fred, not separate people.

In Lost Highway, a man's mental breakdown entails imagining that he's capable of handling his love. In Mulholland Drive, a woman's mental breakdown entails imagining that she is her love.

Not quite inverses imo.

lost highway also deals with imagination vs reality. he kills his wife and begins having headaches and after hes given a pill by the doctor and put back in his cell he is reborn. everyting after that point is fantasy

an archetype of the collective human unconscious

He was a real jerk

you have his phone
give it back

How'd he do it?

I got the sense that he was kind of playing a younger version of Bill Pullman, re-imagining the beginning of the relationship, but I was never quite clear on that whole "transformation" bit in the prison.

the mystery man represents the truth. same with the video camera and the tapes.

This is the plot of Lost Highway: a musician is in a failing marriage and discovers his wife has been cheating on him. He kills the chad and then kills his wife, for which he goes to prison.

What we see in Lost Highway is how the character experiences these events, and how he thinks about them, and comes to term with them (or fails to). These are a blend of actual memories, reified emotions, hypostasized aspects of personality, and cognitive dissonance. Fantasy reconstructions of himself, his wife, and their relationship are slowly tainted by his actual memories and his current predicament.

"I like to remember things the way I remember them, not necessarily the way they happened."

no I agree, this one is intentionally fucked. the rest make sense after you read his book, catching the big fish. but fuck lost highway.

The difficult part of Lost Highway is that nearly everything we see is "not necessarily what happened."

The movie opens and closes with Fred telling himself over his home intercom, "Dick Laurent is dead." So at the end of the movie, or on a subsequent viewing, we [should] come to understand that nothing we saw could be taken as a direct fact. Obviously Fred didn't really become Pete, but less obviously, Fred and Rene probably didn't receive creepy video tapes, it's unlikely Rene had a dream which predicted her own death, the mystery man wasn't at the party and doesn't exist at all, and so on. We're just watching some kind of self-reinforcing loop which is playing in Fred's mind as he deals with what's happened.

What we can be relatively confident about is that Fred killed Dick Laurent. Not only is this implied at the motel scene towards the end of Pete's story, but it also happens out in the desert where it appears the mystery man kills Dick Laurent but then disappears and only Fred is there. Additionally, we can be relatively confident that Fred killed Rene. The fact that the mystery man is holding some kind of camera, and is a different time "at his house," implies the grisly bedroom murder of Rene which appeared on the final tape Fred "watched" was what really happened.

gud post

Why was he such a dick?