Can we atleast admit season 1 was decent?

can we atleast admit season 1 was decent?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=H23rpzOAIzQ
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

It was the beginning of the end

not a hivemind
if you liked it cool, stick with it man

It was shit even then with that annoying faggot Steven around. The show would have been so much better without him.

>ask /sug/ when SU gets better a year ago
>/sug/ says most of Season 1 is lame and that it gets better later
>Season 4 starts airing
>/sug/ says Season 1 was the only time SU was good
I swear, the only thing Sup Forums is good for is giving comic advice. You all suck at recommending cartoons.

But what would it have been called then?

The Crystal Gems.

its only because 2a was alright and everyone expected them to pick up there slack from season 2b

disregard lorefags
though at this point the lore is the only thing interesting in the show, but it's not like they're in any fucking hurry at all to get to it

Dykes in Space

character designs were good, little bits of future plots and character development were good, and while the 'boo hoo crying' shit was annoying it wasn't nearly as frequent as it is now

now its garbage, its literally now "we stall the plot as long as possible while literally just developing new characters for the purpose of lesbian romancing." also garnet as a character doesn't exist anymore, garnet is only a shell for ruby/sapphire

"we" can admit nothing, but you can if you like

It was the best. It's been on decline since after Peridot's redemption.

>jack-asses try and transparently manipulate public opinion by asserting that their opinion is all of Sup Forums's opinion
>people call him out and use the term 'hivemind' to satire his attempts
>many people like this use of the word and start using it themselves
>they use it not only when people try and voice unpopular opinions as popular ones, but even use it hyper-literally, like the autists they are, to reject the idea of popular opinion existing
>but some colossal idiots don't stop there and even go so far as to use the term any time someone poses a question to everyone
You are why we can't have nice things.

>lore is the only thing interesting
I'm interested in the emotional dynamics of the diamonds and impending Jaspdemption.

No, we can't, season 1 was indeed decent, but we can't agree on it or admit it

Season 1 was decent.
As was season 2
And season 3
And most of season 4 so far.

There's few episodes off the top of my head that I can't understand anyone liking (looking at you Onion Gang), but other than that, it's bretty good.

Most of the criticism tends to come from the varying artstyles, Sup Forums overblowing the moral behind the episode in every different direction (see the huge shitstorm when Steven calls out Ronaldo as just a guy with a blog, where it was pro/anti tumblr/social media/'normal society' etc), and the fact that the scheduling is absolute shit.

That last part is especially important, because I can guarantee a large proportion of this site are addicted to watching cartoons, theorising, and debating, and like with any addiction a steady continuous stream is required to supply it.

Instead it's supply in steven bombs, one episode a week for 4 weeks, hiatus, rinse and repeat. Additionally, it doesn't repeat on CN, so the only place to really rewatch it is the net (I'm still waiting for S1 DVDs CN), where moderate and measured opinions are about as valuable as a CD rewinder.

Decent? It was the best one, if not the only good one.

And yes, I include season 1a in this consideration.

1B > 1A > 2 > > 3 > > > > 4

dog shit > pigshit > my shit > your shit >>>>>Steven Universe

>pigshit lower than dogshit

Dog is man's best friend therefor their shit is better than pig shit you pleb.

Confirmed for never having had pig shit

pigshit was never good and never will be good you pigshitfag.

Season 1 was more competently made than the rest of the show but it wasn't anything that good as far as cartoons go. I personally only went through it because I expected it to get better. Instead it somehow got worse.

this.
I miss how hyped I was when they announced the extended intro youtube.com/watch?v=H23rpzOAIzQ . If only they made Steven grow up after Jail Break instead of looking "cuter"...

They could have just made Steven a less shitty character. He's like an autistic Tumblr user's really cringy escapist fantasy. It's a shame because the Gems concept and some of the design work is pretty neat.

Only if you can admit Steven was always a shitty character that brings down the show.

As if the gems were always so much better?

What pisses me off is that in the second half of season one, it really feels like he's maturing a ton, but then it doesn't go anywhere, and he's still doing really stupid shit now.

They weren't much but they were still better than Steven.

The greatest problem with the show is that Steven went from being the central character and protagonist to playing second banana to the gems and their autism.

the last 2 seasons have been so fucking shitty it's actually made me nostalgic for the first season

Childhood Obesity Universe

It started bad, then it became good up until season 2. Season 3 was decent.And season 4 just feels like the entire season is just a filler

The series peaked with Frybo.

Imma let you finish, but Mindful Education was one of the best episodes of the show, PERIOD.

Yes, but it didn't get interesting until the episode where Steven goes into Lion.

This was meant to fail.

>No opinions other than mine allowed

No.

But we can all agree that the fanbase all needs to die in a fire.

The main plot has remained consistantly good, the filler episodes however have tooken a shit

Poe's law.

No.

A true leader wouldn't have faked it just because there morals were low.

Steven did what a true leader would do and did what was best for the gems.

Look where that got them.

They're a disfunctional team, currently. Had Steven put his foot down, they would have been able to take steps to fixing the team. By telling them 'Everything you're doing is right' they have no reason to try anything different. No reason to try to improve.

There's a lot of PARTS that are decent, it's the overall package that's the problem. Hell, I'll even go so far as to say a lot of the early towny episodes good before we all realized that there wasn't going to be any permanent character development.

SJWniverse was never good.

This. He's regressed as a character and all of his negative attributes seem that more more apparent because of it. It's to the point now where he's gone from naive to kind of pathetic.

He does that later on in Political Power, but in that moment he did the right thing.

From Test to Gem Drill episodes was good, and then everething just died out.

There are so many things wrong with her head. This artstyle is such an eyesore, anyone who actually likes it must have brain damage.

>rocknaldo confirms that the gems still go on missions
>instead of showing the mission we get an sjw episode

Dragonball V

She's a supermodel compared to Steven. Yikes

>best animation of the series
>great song
Checks out.

Peridot...

>a tumblr user's really cringy escapist fantasy
because he fucking is lmao

Monster of the week episodes were at least better than townie filler.

Sup Forums is not one person and i always kept my stance s1 was good, what you saw was the tumblr audience who came after jailbreak.

Season 1 was amazing. Ocean Gem and Jail Break were legitimately hype as hell with tons good episodes in between. All the big reveals were very surprising. But now the show has gotten to the point where half of the story's been revealed and there's no significant movement to resolve anything. All it's really doing is running in place.

It really is its own brand of filler. The Townie episodes in S1 at least had monsters to move the concept of gems along. Kiki's Pizza Delivery Service did that. It further established Steven's psychic powers. But then we have episodes like FBZ. It was significant character development for Mr. Smiley, but that means absolutely nothing if Mr. Smiley doesn't really interact with anyone for the rest of the show.

Other people's opinions on the quality of a show I enjoy are irrelevant.

Most MotW episodes were also townie episodes. The show made more of an effort of fusing its different story styles in the first season.

That said, the reason they moved away from them is because it made the stories feel shallow. You can't really explore a character very well in 11 minutes when you also have to make time for a monster battle.

Both double length episodes were great when it came to character interaction. It showed that the show could really benefit from a transition to 22 minutes.

Steven Universe was always shit.

It was already cancerously shock full of brain damaging fillers and "I'm SAD" deus ex.
So no.

season one was pretty dang good, lots of potential, which seamed to capitalize in season 2 and then all the episodes that anyone with talent had written had been aired and the only people left were the shit squad

This, politically correct propaganda masked in childrens cartoon, making kids into autistic faggots the show groom them to be. Fuck SU, I hope this shit gets axed

>You can't really explore a character very well in 11 minutes when you also have to make time for a monster battle.
that's shit reasoning and they should have asked for a 20 minute show

Sure, but Season 3 was better.

CN only does 11 min shows now. It was either that or not getting picked up.

>CN only does 11 min shows now.
cn is a shit

Fuck, the more I think about it, the show probably would've been better had Steven never came about.

Could've been this nice action-based show with some real character development vs what we're stuck with.

In most shows the audience needs a character to connect with

Typically this character is something called a

Proto Gonnist

When you're in a weird show with aliens and monsters and weirdos, the audience really needs a character like them to guide them through the story

who was sallor mons proto Gonist?

sallor mon

Your opinion is incorrect.

post crying steven

but she was an magic so how could she be the character like the audience

Season 1 sucks but it's important for story reasons.
Current SU is great and fags here just have shit taste.
This is the objective truth.

i see you, user

Are you just a lorefag or what?

she was part of audience and then she won a grand prize of magical

Becaue Tumblr, she is a human-being and not a shitty colored gay golem.

Yes.
Why would I care about the town people. Jeez. I watch this show for the characters and story, not the comedy.

its not objective truth, but you're not wrong

>not enjoying comedy
>not enjoying a healthy mix of comedy, adventure, story and character development
Townie episodes are still shit, tho.

I like the comfy charm of the first season more than anything. No one watches SU for the comedy.

Maybe it's just me, but I kinda feel a bit different about it
The main story is still somewhat decent, and the later seasons have their good moments, but we need to adress the elephant in the room
Lauren Zuke insert fat joke here regarding former statement
I think that it's no mystery at this point that it is in part her fault that the show felt a steep decline in season 3 and 4
Her pushing of the ship between peridot and lapis made her flanderize their characters and make them more or less memes
Could it have still been done but in a more tasteful way that wouldn't fuck up the characters of main characters? Most likely, but I'm not the first to admit that she's not the best with writing. Just look at all of the episodes she's done and I bet you can find her political views all over them

Even though she's now gone, I doubt we can say the same about her influence
At the end of the day, the show just needs to have consistent animation and a better connection between the writers so they arent going about starting stories that shouldn't be in there
Like CN, Rebecca needs to have better communication with her crew. If she could do that, this show would be golden

I actually have a hard time figuring out if this is a joke post or not. And I don't mean that in a disrespectful way or anything, it just reads like one and leaves me confused.

In either case, the idea that the protagonist of any story needs to be the audience surrogate is a terrible mentality to have. Many shows in the 80's tried this, and we now look back on those and laugh at how useless and time wasting the "kid appeal" characters were.

You can very easily revolve a story around three socially unaware aliens who come out of thousands of years of seclusion into the human world, and must now learn to adapt to a world they fought so hard to protect in the past. You can still have the audience surrogate obviously, either in the role of a recurring secondary character, or just have all of the Townies be the audience surrogate as they try to understand the strangeness of the Gems, while the Gems themselves shine their light on the weirdness of human culture.

One of the big problems with Steven Universe is that, despite having a half-human, half-alien protagonist it doesn't really use that as a tool to bridge both worlds. The Townies are notoriously oblivious or apathetic to all the insanity happening around them, and I can only really think of two instances where it's actually addressed (Mayor Dewey and Andy).

But at the same time, the Gems also show no interest in the planet around them. Garnet is completely apathetic, Pearl is highly dismissive for the most part, and the one Gem that SHOULD be more attached to Earth and its people, Amethyst, also clearly doesn't give a single fuck about it. Peridot and Lapis only care about their soap operas, and there's been no exploration about them interacting with the human world outside of the barn. And NCG doesn't count because that wasn't about them interacting with the human world. Come to think of it, I don't even know what that episode was about.