Why did the slasher genre die?

Why did the slasher genre die?

>seamonstertittymilk.jpg
It was milked to death for two decades

Normies moved onto *CLANG* and emancipated female ghosts shrieking while the camera wildy moves around

It served its purpose and the Jews have moved on to newer phases of their plan to destroy goyim society.

Over saturation. Plus the MPAA really came down hard on them the second half of the 80s.

I love slashers. I hope this turns into a slasher thread.

*slashes your throat open*
nothing personal kid

Of all these, Freddy has the scariest potential. Too bad they squandered and turned him into a buffoon that doesn't even scares bunnies.

it never evolved. I blame Scream for its postmodern take on the genre which exposed it as a joke not to be taken seriously ever again. It's not surprising that Scary Movie surfaced furthering the death of the genre even more.

Yeah. Fuck Scream. I mean, slashers were pretty dead by that point but they could have had a slight comeback in a decade or two, sort of like what happened to zombie related stuff.

But no, Scream's meta bullshit ruined it and Hollywood showed how stupid it was by trying to capitalize on something that slightly came back into public focus only because it was being made fun of.

Misogynist grooming and re-programing
(toxic masculinity)

Die with your foaming jugs

I haven't watched scream so can you guys give me a brief explanation on what you mean?

It needed to die after that godawful reboot of Halloween.

OP, because the MPAA and Hollywood Jews conspired to kill off low budget studios by forcing them to cut out the T&A. Video also didn't help!!!FACT!!!

Imagine a shitty mystery thriller episode of Beverly Hills 90210 where people are getting killed off and they comment on how it's like they're in a slasher film. No Savini style gore or tits, ass and pussy zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz!!!FACT!!!

"Ironically" tearing apart a movie genre while still sticking to it kind of ruins the movies.

I think at one point they point out some slasher movie tropes, give the movie 'two killers' by the end movie twist. There's also a few moments in there to make you laugh, a direct effect of this we see in Freddy vs Jason which throws in a few gags as well. Other than that I don't remember.

There was a resurgence in the 90s to early 2000s with Scream, I know What You Did Last Summer, House of Wax, many forgettable ones like some Valentine's day themed one, and a bunch of remakes and sequels like Halloween H20. They disappeared because the shock value just wasn't there anymore. Teens were getting their gore fix on the internet, slasher movies just couldn't compete.

>emancipated

Late 80s slasherkino coming through!

It's stupid like most horror movies

I was in high school at that time, what happened was that 1) slashers were played out and desperately trying to stay relevant by adding comedy and getting "meta", and 2) Japanese horror movies started making their way over. The Ring, The Grudge, Pulse, those blew domestic horror fare out of the water.

They were shit.

>ironically

I can guarantee you there's gonna be expendables suicide squad-like movie with all of the slasher villains to bank off the nostalgiafags and horrorfags in the near future (something like monster squad). the problem are the rights, but that's becoming less of a problem every year

MPAA

lmao

emaciated

>bruce campbell top billing
Literally in the movie for only 1 minute, but that was a pretty great movie

I know this isn't Sup Forums but i want netherrealm to make a horror movie based fighter so badly

Needs to happen for real

Also, the Silent Night Deadly Night fiasco was the beginning of the end as well.

When the slasher boom started, major film companies realized they could put a cheap slasher movie out and have, at worst, decent returns. If not huge returns. So everyone was doing it. Hell, it's how New Line became a major studio.

But then SNDN happened and studios backed off a bit and got spooked. I mean, slashers were still being made and all but studios were afraid of public outcry, getting their movie pulled, big companies (like Coca Cola) disapproving...it was a mess. Even Siskel and Ebert shit their pants on tv because of it.

There are only so many ways to kill drunk teenagers.

Thanks to IT's major popularity, New Line has a new Friday the 13th lined up for 2020, the 40th anniversary of the franchise.

>40th anniversary
I feel old now

Cause they ended making them comedies, just like every other genre is slowly becoming

Best slasher coming through

Fuck off with those hacks, get somebody competent to make it instead.

What did you say?

>le netherrealm is bad meme
The only thing I'd say they have a problem with is bland character design, everything in MKX looked so colorless and boring

Still had my favorite newcomer to the series in ages

What does Sup Forums think of this underrated film?

I love Madman! I don't think I've seen decapitation by car hood in any other slasher.

The kills are really mean spirited too, especially the hanging. And that womans performance...I can't remember her name. So, so fucking weird.