Nu Wars Galaxy Building

>Be United States
>Win WW2 with other Allies
>30 years later Nazi Remnants pop up in Argentina, they get themselves several dozen aircraft carriers and a bunch of nukes.
>They manage to nuke Washington DC.
>Somehow the entire US military is no more, only a ragtag group of fighters remain to fight the Nazi threat.

That's basically how the war against the First Order played out in Star Wars and it's fucking retarded. Couldn't they think of another dynamic other than rebels vs empire? They could've done it like the back story of Skyrim were a crumbling Empire ( The New Republic ) is getting its ass handed to them by a rising Aldmeri Dominion ( First Order ) but nope gotta have rebels vs empire 2.0.

How would you have handled it Sup Forums? How would you have set up the galactic conflict for the sequel trilogy?

I rebuke thee.

>How would you have set up the galactic conflict for the sequel trilogy?
My gut reaction is to make First Order terrorists, but assymetrical warfare where the bad guys are the underdogs don't make for a very interesting movie.

Best way to handle the first order would have been as a wandering fleet.

Have them pop out of hyperspace, raid a planet or battle station, then have them slip off into lightspeed.

The republic won't know how to handle a threat that appears and is gone before anyone can react.

Use some of the Expanded Universe lore and give the first order a Eclipse Star Destroyer, or even a ship mounted super laser to up the stakes.

You can even explain the rise of the first order coming from the remaining Imperial ships that weren't destroyed or captured by the rebels during the original trilogy.

To be frank with you Satan, I would stop making more Fart Wars movies altogether.

They could've established the Republic as having a hard time ruling a maybe more divided galaxy? With their forces spread thin decades after winning the civil war.

after watching the OT we weren't even able to see the Republic they fought so hard to restore.

Except that the U.S. took in nazis to form there intelligence networks and subversively keep nazi ideology alive

TLJ completely invalidates TFA and TFA and TLJ completely invalidate the OT

It's awesome.

The logical jumping off point would have been a galaxy in chaos after the fall of the Empire.

But J.J. and Rian wanted to remake the OT instead.

>tfw no elite First Order raiding task forces led by the Knights of Ren fucking whatever planet they land on.

Yeah, add this to the above please.

But actually make the Knights of Ren characters with personalities.

Can even have Grey's planet be one the FO land on to fuck over. You know, like an actual motivation.

Ugh. Good people don't need motivation to #resist, fascist

Wait, that scene was AN ENTIRE SYSTEM? I thought they were just blowing up the planet and it's moons.

More like ...

>Be United States
>Win WW2 with other Allies
>For 25 years a group of U.S. senators, arms dealers, criminals and Nazi loyalists funnel goods and money into a Neo-Reich group
>Speaker of the House finds out about the Neo-Reich and the complicit senators involved, but their credit is destroyed from a scandal that reveals the Speaker's father was Goering. Speaker has enough time to retire and cobble together a crew of troops to prepare for when the Neo-Reich is going to make their move
>Neo-Reich nukes Washington, the Pentagon, the F.BI and C.I.A HQ, as well as other major US military bases before the rest of their nukes are found and disabled.
>Damage is done. The US has no major form of government and it will take time to establish even a figurehead.
>Neo-Reich, with their stockpiled billions and ships, strikes across the US from hidden outposts.

This is basically what happens over, what, a week in the SW universe.

Read the Star Wars Bloodlines novel for a good idea of how corrupt and treasonous the New Republic had become.

>tfw they will never be unexpectedly confronted by Luke along with his best students paving the way for some nice duels.

Bring back the star forge
Its the only way their fleet could make sense

I just wish the movies made an effort of showing/telling what the current state of the galaxy is.

There's always a designated successor, there can even be several multiple NR Governments calling themselves the True Republic. But nah, let's just make it all disappear for muh Empire vs Rebels. Cringe.

>comparing a group of terrorists (rebels) to the United States

They could have had the rebels start hunting down and executing former imperial leaders. The rebellion would become increasingly authoritarian in an effort to eliminate the remnants of the empire. The protagonist could then be the child of some imperial officers who is looking for revenge.

Wha? Nothing has "gone away." The First Order has injured the galaxy deeply and I am sure in some sectors sent them back to feudalism (Bloodlines depicts 50% of the universe not wanting central government while the other 50% want to stick together), but not everyone.

The galaxy seemed to have pooled their military resourced into a Senatorial Fleet that got AXED. I am sure they COULD muster up ships, but then what will regional systems defend THEMSELVES with?

Resistance fighters wanting to PRESERVE government are not Rebels wanting to RESTORE government.

Just like in Modern Warfare 2

The whole scale of it was absolutely retarded. How they could see it plain as day from another solar system, how all the planets were clustered together, the laser itself fucking splitting even though it travelled as a cohesive unit for fucking lightyears, how the laser went clearly slower than the "lightspeed" used by ships even though the laser is light, how even going slower it reached the planets in seconds rather than years, fuck, I can't even think about all the problems with these Nu wars movies because they begin piling up given that the issues are deeply rooted and systemic so I'd have to write pages.

Also its not like the Galaxy can only be restricted to just 2 factions. They could've gone with 4 or 5 factions. Some major, some not.

Also, if you have three 'true republic" governments, each one wanting supremacy, how long before one or two turn to the First Order to defeat the third group? It would still be "civil war, without end."

It's weird I don't know the names of any of the fucking new planets since Disney took over, yet Geonisis, Corsucant, Naboo were all fucking memoerable.

Disney Star Wars designs are just the fucking worst, bland and Dr. Who in style. The planets are the same shit again not-Tatooine, not-Hoth. The aliens are the worst the same bloated, brown hairy things.

I would have liked if instead of Starkiller base, the First Order invent some new space travel technology alowing them to perform a massive suprise attack on Coruscant and completely wipe out the gathered Republic fleet and the senate building, sending the fragile republic into chaos and systems break off, while the First Order steamrolls through and becomes an equal power. Then there is a war between the New Republic and the First Order. Starkiller base was an unoriginal pile of dogshit.

>meanwhile the original well trained, technologically superior Empire lost to furry midgets but dumb nerds will gloss over this.

I think the post-Lucas films could be more memorable, but ... really ... the Prequels spoiled people because it could spend a tremendous amount of time in places. Look at Naboo. You get to go there THREE times in THREE movies, and you get to see their palaces, homes, streets ...

How much time was spent on Yavin across all three OT films?

Endor and Tattooine probably got the most screen time, but I think we heard the planets names more.

I don't recall ANY new planets having their names even said aloud so far?

You know, if one of the themes of NuWars is that there are shades of gray between the light and the dark side, wouldn't it have made some sense to show why people might want to support the First Order? Intead of just having their recruitment plan be /kidnapping/ people?

Like, I'm just saying, I'm sure running a galaxy-wide government is tough work. I bet there are folks who, under the New Republic, didn't like the set up.

"Sure, the Empire were oppressive pricks, but these new fuckers aren't exactly stopping the evil crime syndicate that popped up in the political power vacuum on my home planet."

I actually loved that that was Maul's scheme in Clone Wars to get the people of Mandalore to return to loving Death Watch

Jedha got its name tossed around a lot and it was way better than ... wherever Luke was living. Not-Scotland?

I don't understand "The Resistance"

What are they resisting against? The Empire? Why isn't there a standing army for Republican forces in the galaxy?

>I don't recall ANY new planets having their names even said aloud so far?

That's why they suck at world building

... yes ... they're resiting the First Order.

You can't "rebel" against people who are not in Power.

Why do you think Luke said the rebellion was re-born at the end of TLJ?

Christ, TFA says the senate's fleet was NUKED DOES ANYBODY PAY ATTENTION?

Looks like none on Republic Ships was smart enough to know the meaning of emergency hyperspace jump.

Why whole fleet was gathered in one place though ?? Atleast some ships should be protecting trade routes from pirates or patrol edges of republic space.

>No more empire
>Resistance still exists
Resisting who exactly, i always wonder.

Look what happened the last time somebody gave the Republic a standing army

The First Order

The Resistance was formed by Leia because she found out senators were funneling cash to the First Order and that at some point they were coming. She got her career destroyed when it was leaked Vader was her father, but she had enough cred to put together RESISTANCE group to fight off First Order plots for 6 years.

THEN THE FIRST-ORDER NATION ATTACKED

>Why do you think Luke said the rebellion was re-born at the end of TLJ?

General lack of imagination or initiative on the part of whoever's in charge of these new movies. For some reason they seem terribly reluctant to break away from the alliance/empire scenario.

Bloodlines also has a First Order conspirator almost become Head of the Senatorial Military/Government, but the plot failed.

But why we never saw actual republic army with such big threat from them? They are marginals now.
I still do not get it. It seems they are just a bunch on terrorist who can't return back to normal life so they continued their attacks on new government.

... point me to a Star Wars story that doesn't have this in some way

The True Sith have been hiding in the Unknown Regions, biding their time, waiting for a weak, peaceful galaxy to conquer.
With the Jedi gone and the Empire dead, they take the opportunity to strike the nascent, peaceful, non-militarised New Republic.
It turns out that, while genuine threats themselves, Vader and the Emperor were just LARPing as these guys.

Look it's the Not-hammerhead guy from Mos Eisley cantina

afaik most people hate Ewoks, Wookies would've been so fucking based and much more believable

They are, basically, a massive gang of terrorists. I don't think they even have a home system, really, one of the visual dictionaries says the crews live on their ships. They're basically a massive fleet of super-armed pirates?

Isn't it literally the other way around? The rebel alliance was small and the empire was huge, the rebel alliance destroyed the leadership but not the military or 99% of empire governance

>I don't recall ANY new planets having their names even said aloud so far?
Jakku, but that's it I think

Starkiller is an ancient Sith temple-planet with unimaginable dark side technology that First Order stubled axross in uncharted areas of the Galaxy along with Snoke, this ancient being living there for who knows how long
it plays out roughy the same but First Order does much more damage with it, destroys hundreds of systems. Starkiller is not destroyed in the first movie, whole trillogy is about learning it's secrets and finding a way to destroy it.

>everyone hates it
And yet everyone pretends it didn't happen.

Really?
Lucas also pulled the same shit with the Gungans and the best character in the movies, Jar Jar Binks.

Go back and look at all the aliens in the prequels.

Guess what. Most were never in the OT.

They only brought in more wookies in Revenge.

Never had a Twilek outside of Return of the Jedi except to, what, walk past people in the background?

Most new movies have new aliens who are then never seen again.

>How would you have set up the galactic conflict for the sequel trilogy?

The First Order would be terrorists. Perhaps they have fanatical cells across the galaxy hidden in plain sight, ready to rise up - causing paranoia and fear in regular people. Perhaps they declare themselves a state on some far-flung planet. Maybe complacency, bureaucracy and/or infiltrated malevolence makes the Republic slow to react. I think this trilogy should have been more character-driven adventure movies rather than a repeat of bombastic super weapons. An enemy doesn't have to have an entire army behind it to be threatening. In Raiders of the Lost Ark and The Last Crusade, Indy faces off against small divisions of nazis, not the entire reich. It works because the war hasn't kicked off yet and the rest of the world is still largely ignorant to the extent of the nazi threat. I think they should have followed a similar blueprint for these movies. You can still come up with great set pieces, just make them smaller. That way you're not contradicting the end of RotJ and the rebel victory.

They should have done it more of a civil war, and show how weak leadership and corruption after the victory 30 years ago led to several Republican defeats. Afterwards, the Republic and the First Order (Remnants of the Empire choosing a new path instead of re-joining the Republic in VI) have a cease-fire agreement, while the Republic continues to fund the Resistance. In the meanwhile, several Republican lords and wealthy turn their alleigance to the First Order, enabling them to have all their shit.

None of this was in the movie.

There was a thread a LONG while ago about resistance to the First Order coming from the ACTUAL Imperial Remnant system who hates these pseudo-Imperials and they support the defense of the Republic. They also pull the sheets off some old battle droid foundries to help get the galaxy some troops in a hurry. Trooper and Droids and Resistance fighters and random warriors from different cultures against the First Order.

yeah random capitalisation guy you replied to keeps going on about "you just don't understand" and then posts stuff that was released in other materials where the writers desperately worked to plug plot holes

>LE 68 student and union worker overthrow de gaulle and adenauer's western values

>Think they can bring the ((peace and equality))

polarization and poverty ,split of society and nation is rampage in Western world

Nazism my ass, We only see Weimar tier postmodernism bullshit

Yes most of the classic aliens are background characters, that's the whole fucking point. Take a look again Disney shill

Luke attempts to destroy it himself, but succumbs to the power of the darkside in the temple.

Neither was what a "clone war" was, or what the "old republic" was like vs the "imperial senate period" vs "the time of the Moffs."

>First Order implied to be some small off-shoot being run by the inexperienced, but ambitious, Hux and Kylo
>they build a super weapon in the hopes of eventually reclaiming the galaxy
>their prized super weapon gets BTFO after they only manage to blow up a couple planets
>somehow the First Order is now in charge of the galaxy

REALLY makes you think.

>the First Order invent some new space travel technology alowing them to perform a massive suprise attack on Coruscant and completely wipe out the gathered Republic fleet and the senate building,

The FO manages to destroy the Republic fleet, but they lack the manpower to conquer planets by planetary invasion. Instead the FO is forced to embargo multitude of Alliance planets.
Relying on surgical specialforce strikes on military complexes and bombardments of spaceship manufactories, the FO is slowly but steadily submitting these planets (this would take decades).

While the FO fleets are spread thin, to embargo as many planets as possible, The remnants of Alliance fleet(s) gather and actually have reasonable chances of victory in the up coming battles (the director won't have to make ass pulls to save the day). But with every battle both sides lose ships and as there are limited number of factories to pump out ships.

Rian helped write the book, which is the only reason I think it's neat. Plus, going to expanded books and comics has been a huge part of Star Wars since I was a child. Don't see why suddenly people don't want the EU to matter.

Most definitely, like the entire alien cast from the first act in Return of the jedi make frequent appearances in the prequels

He also claimed there were no Twi'leks, when there most definitely was both a jedi and a senator

There's also the race from the guy that gets his arm sliced off in A New Hope that joins the confederacy in Attack of the Clones

There's also cameos from tusken raiders, rodians, sullustians, biths, quarren, etc etc

>read the books
Fuck off. Films should be able to stand by themselves. Clone Wars animated were great in fleshing out characters and events but even then AotC and RotS stood well even without them

It's not that nobody paid attention. Everybody actually did pay attention only there weren't satisfactory detail and world building to pay attention to

Yeah but the issue is the plot doesn't make sense unless you read the other material. The movies should explain things enough to stand on their own. The book you described sounds like a better film than the one we got.

>show the slow rise of internal empire sympathizers
>show look running his school and how some of his students slowly start sympathizing with the dark side
>ep 8 everything comes together and sets up final showdown for ep 9.

Here's a comparison, in Force awakens there's not a single alien from any previous star wars movie

That red guy is legit, though.

>EU faggots
>BAWWW MOMMY BOUGHT ME BOOKS AND NOW MICKY MOU DOESN'T WANT TO FOLLOW THOS BOOKS REEEEE

Every fucking thing will trigger them. They forget that this is a series of children's films.

While for example on the separatist council in Attack of the Clones there are mostly new faces, but also some old ones

But they're not main characters. Or even prominent characters.

I got the impression the complaint wasn't about background characters but rather characters who were prominant on screen for more than 5 seconds.

Like the alien ... uh ... "priest" (?) on Malistair who talked to Obi-Wan. Did people complain before that he wasn't a Twilek or a Bith or something from the OT?

Did people complain that Dexter wasn't a Wookie or something?

If I misunderstood, hey, I am sorry.

Chewie is an alien from the previous star wars movie, so is Ackbar.

The Empire is defeated and The New Republic is born. But not every system wants to join them because many people across the galaxy actually benefitted from the Empire's rule. Leia wanted to subjogate them, but Luke told her "The galaxy is tired of conflict, let this people decide for themselves" and 30 years later it bites him in the ass as a small group (led by Ben Solo) of young Republican officers flee to these not-subjogated systems and proclaim The Second Galactic Empire. Galaxy is at war once more, but before that happens Luke goes into exile to talk to Yoda and Obi-Wan in peace about how he failed young Ben. Obviously, he leaves a map to his location in hands of his good friend for someone to find him if his help is needed once more.

LMAO the clone wars had nothing to do with the story in ANH. At no point in ANH did our understanding of the clone wars have any bearing on the movie. It was dropped in there by Lucas as a part of world building. Things that happen in TFA make no sense without political exposition that isn't IN the movie. Shit deflection m8.

They are not part of the background though, they're old characters brought back, people are asking for new characters from the old alien races, just to give the world some consistency

A reference to the past and obscure war fought before works because the OT already established that the empire is in power and has taken over an old republic. The empire is shown to be oppressive and authoritarian and that sufficiently gives us enough basis to understand the movie's settings and the motivations of the empire and the rebels

However, TFA doesn't work because the one-liners they throw away explain NOTHING at all. Instead they only raise more questions.

You don't understand movies if you think necessary details and plot points should be left to fucking comics.

>Complain because a single book is referenced
>cite that a 5 season TV series is OK

TFA still stands on its own. I was able to understand what a Resistance is, one backed by a government in a Cold War styled game with the First Order, but maybe some people want to know more? I never said people needed to read the book. Questions were asked. I pointed to where answers were. You can ignore it. Christ.

Wow, these two plus Nien Nunb - wow! Three whole characters. Disney shills again grasping at straws

This is unfortauntely the world we seemingly live in now, the new halo games also tried the whole ,you gotta read the books shtick

If the originals were a revolutionary war, I guess these should be a civil war

there was a twilek jedi in prequels

nice haloween party
where'd you guys get all the monster masks

>straight away moves to the shill narrative

I'm just pointing out your factual inaccuracies.

TLJ AND TFA aren't good. But neither are any of the films. They're popcorn fluff full of plot holes and inconsistencies to the point that Lucas had to remake shit and do special editions to fix his hackery. Still enjoyable though, but hardly magnum opus stuff.

Boom. You're right. And she did more in an animated series than in the movie she died in. I guess that just bums me out since I'd have liked to see any of the Jedi Masters do anything outside of get encircled by droids and then 66'd

>get encircled by droids and then 66'd
l-lewd!

It's simple. You follow the logical conclusion after the collapse of an Empire: it splinters.

Just cause Palpatine died, doesn't mean the empire ceased to exist overnight, it just lacks a centralized ruler. Thus, the territory divides across various factions within the Galaxy, some being remnants of the Empire, others being neutral, and with the New Republic Alliance arving out it's own corner within a splintered galaxy.

During the 30 or so years that have passed, they've been fighting feudal war of sorts with various factions to try and unify the Galaxy, building alliances with other systems, some of which are rather untrustworthy. Thus, now you have various groups, vying for power, and lots of room for political drama.

Within this, Luke has successfully established a new Jedi Order, and is training Rey and Ben, both of whom are children to Han and Leia, and siblings.

You focus the story on them, and you tell the story of the fall of Ben to the Dark Side. You build this up however so that he falls either at the end of the first film, or in the middle of the second. You must however dedicate time toward building chemistry between him and his sister through adventures and such so that his fall is that much more emotionally impacting.

Your main antagonist would be a remnant of the Empire, building up a very Atreides/Harkonnen, or Stark/Lannister sorta dynamic between them, and the New Republic.

The story however, is focused on the duality of the two siblings in a very Yin Yang sort of way, as they two clash, and you focus on Rey's struggle to try and bring her brother back into the light.

>but assymetrical warfare where the bad guys are the underdogs don't make for a very interesting movie
the entire prequel trilogy is this and I think it was handled fine in that regard

>I was able to understand what the Resistance is
Yeah because you read a fucking book. If the movie really clearly explains the current setting well you would not have these questions popping over any nuwars thread

Humor me. Give me clips, or transcripts that SUFFICIENTLY explains how and why the First Order (an Empire splinter/remnant) managed to come up with weapons stronger than the Empire with less resources and how and why the Republic did not or had no chance to cut the FO threat prior?

Look, you're not wrong.

I guess I just don't get what else people need to know when the movie and the crawl explains it all in rather simple terms. Honestly, how did I understand it when it seems other people didn't?

she swung her saber around awkwardly against droids in aotc
very exciting

>deflecting again
While seeing her character in the animated series was nice, her specific POV was not relevant to the bigger story that the prequels told and could be seen in proxy to the many other jedi characters we see anyway. We also end up knowing what happens to her. We DONT NEED to know her backstory to understand AotC and RotS. The Jedi Order is still alive and active. There's a fucking difference from this scenario to TFA's lack of world building and political exposition.

This is your second attempt at deflecting and failing

Sounds like the prequel O.B. Wan and A. Skywalker duo

cont.

The overarching theme is once again, "power corrupts" by showing the dangers of the force, and just how susceptible people can be to temptation. You'd have to introduce a seducer figure for Ben, but this could be delved into if you dedicate the first part of the story toward adventuring, as the two Jedi explore the mysteries of the origins of the force in some ancient ruin planets or something, under the orders of Luke or something. Because of this, I'd probably have Ben fall in the 2nd film, while having it teased at the end of the first.

The structure goes:

Lighthearted adventure filled with mystery, for the first, then internal struggle, and strife, both political, and psychological for the second, and then the clash for the 3rd. All against the backdrop of this splintered galaxy, with various factions to explore, all of which could have their own cultures and unique settings, and characters which could contribute to the main narrative to make it more rich.

It doesn't make sense because it appears to either have ignored what happened at the end of RotJ (where the empire lost and we are still in a not-rebel vs not-empire situation) or that a complete political 180 degree turn happened in the status quo where good guys are again underdogs. Is this impossible? No. But a drastic shake up in political setting like this needs more than a few vague one-liners for people actually paying attention to understand how and why the characters from both factions are motivated to do so

If the Empire could built a functional Death Star 6 years after they lost their first one, why couldn't somebody carve out a planet and use next-gen tech over a period of 30 years to make somehing worse? I never questioned Starkiller Base because that would mean I'd also need to question ... well ... everything else.

You're also sort of framing the question in a weird way. They built a single, powerful weapon that they used in the right way a single time. That was all they needed to do to wipe out the senatorial fleet. Hux says without the Fleet, the Resistance can't fight them. Everyone goes ka-pow.

You can argue for or against the resources of the First Order just like you can argue for or against the resources of the Alliance in Jedi. They took on the Imperial Fleet and won. I get the impression they had less resources, funding and weapons factories than the First Order (which TLJ fleshed out through Rose's convo with Finn)

Otherwise we've only seen four ships from the First Order vs the resistance fleet which had (I think?) 10 ships total?

We don't know where the rest of the First Order fleet is, but their ships were loaded with walkers and troops and weapons in TLJ. Enough to seemingly at least say they're ready for a long fight.