What did Cartoon Network air on it's late night schedule before Adult Swim existed?

What did Cartoon Network air on it's late night schedule before Adult Swim existed?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=pdxucpPq6Lc
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Probably lots of scooby doo and flintstones.
I might be crazy, but they might have played old black and white stuff late at night as well?

Cartoon Planet and Space Ghost Coast to Coast.

from memory i can remember speed racer o canada and mostly just loony tunes

They used to play really, really old black and white cartoons. I can't remember what studio(s) or IPs they were, but they weren't Warner Bros./Looney Tunes.

In Australia around 9pm it would switch over to "TNT" which just played old black and white movies til 5am.

Didn't adult swim come first in a sense? The first CN original was Space Ghost and in Mike Lazzo was the first president of programming.

Rocky & Bullwinkle, The Harlem Globetrotters, Toon Heads, Tex Avery

Old stuff I think. Like the Tex Avery Show and whatever. I also vaguely remember some late night I Am Weasel.

In Brazil it was Hanna-Barbera animals wearing ties. Like, all of them, through the night.

>I can't remember what studio(s) or IPs they were, but they weren't Warner Bros./Looney Tunes.
Actually they were, usually 1935-1943 B/W shorts, along with Popeyes.

I remember a show called unwrapped or something that played old cartoons like Popeye.

>that cartoon where a scientist makes a teleport that actually just makes a perfect someplace else and brutally kills the original
Holy shit that's a lot to put on a nine year old.

I remember them playing boomerang during the late nights up until 1ish where they'd play informercials for a bit until 4 am, I think. I was never able to stay up that late.

When I was 4 (circa 2000), for some reason, I had the audacity to wake up in the middle of the night, go downstairs and turn on Cartoon Network. I can confirm they played old 30s/40s cartoons. I remember watching Betty Boop and I swear to god, the episode I watched felt like I was in a fever dream. I kept waking up in the middle of the night to watch TV until my Dad caught me, I was a really detached little kid back in the day. I may have watch an episode of Space Ghost C&C (I don't remember), but knowing my younger self, I probably get really bored of it fast.

>I can confirm they played old 30s/40s cartoons.
Can also confirm. Was 11 at the time.

Looney Tunes, The Real Adventures of Jonny Quest in addition to much older Hanna Barbera crap. I'd often stay up to watch Freakazoid and Two Stupid Dogs. But be sure to turn the TV off before the Banana Splitz show up.

They played really old cartoons like Popeye for example. It was the shit.

It did that in the UK as well, I have this weird memory of being a kid and after Tom and Jerry finished I ended up watching half an hour of Gone with the Wind before I got bored.

Oh fuck, an actual interesting question. Is Sup Forums finally getting better?

They just aired old cartoons like looney tunes, Hanna-barbers and old black and white cartoons like from Fleischer
Those black and white cartoons would eventually be moved to a block called late night black n white. The programming block would then be moved to boomerang and then later defunct

Late Night Black and White (B&W Cartoons like previous anons have mentioned, I think this came on right after Space Ghost C2C)
O! Canada (Canadian shorts)
Toon Heads (Golden age cartoons with historical background info and trivia)
Space Ghost C2C
Cartoon Planet (original)
Tex Avery Show
Bob Clampett Show
Chuck Jones Show
occasionally a Cartoon Cartoon like C&C or Johnny Bravo

They also tried out a small Toonami block called Midnight Run which aired uncensored anime. I think this was the first time they aired anything with adult content on CN.

Eventually they began airing the Boomerang block in the AM hours, I think it started at 2AM, after Late Night B&W, but i could be wrong.

youtube.com/watch?v=pdxucpPq6Lc
This?

My dawg I had that exact same experience. What a heavy cartoon.

Tenchi Muyo! gave me funny feelings

I remember trying to watch CN early in the morning or late at night as a kid, and we only got static. My dad said they had to sleep too lol.

This was in 97 or earlier for reference, don't remember exactly.

This.
I remember they showed the episode of DBZ for tomorrow early in the evenings.
There was once a Halloween special that's was a spoof of The New Scooby Movies that I feel like helped inspire adult swim.

Real late at night was Boomerang, which was old Hannah Barbara stuff. That's usually what filled their2-6am gap.

top cat, hong kong phooey, huckleberry hound, the jetsons, the flintsones, smurfs, etc. later on they had toonami midnight run

proto/early boomerang stuff mostly
also I miss old boomerang

Good list bro but you forgot

>Wait Til Your Father Gets Home

They used to only rerun that in the dead hours of the night. It wasn't worth staying up late for, even if it had KKK jokes in it.

Oh yeah, you're right. And if I'm not mistaken, they aired George of the Jungle either before or after that. Either that or Hong Kong Phooey. This was in the earlier days of CN.

>There was once a Halloween special that's was a spoof of The New Scooby Movies that I feel like helped inspire adult swim.
That was Night of the Living Doo, with Gary Coleman, David Cross, and Big Bad Voodoo Daddy. It premiered on Halloween in 2001, two days before adult swim premiered.