Has anyone ever heard of this comic before Pepe became a meme?

Has anyone ever heard of this comic before Pepe became a meme?

Other urls found in this thread:

m.comixology.com/Boys-Club/digital-comic/358184
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Yeah? It was all over /b) about a decade (more? God help us) ago.

I didn't hear about it till after he evolved into kek

Why'd the others never get memed, Sup Forums?

Pepe became a meme because of the comic, nothing else.

A couple reaction images of pepe became popular, the rest follows from there.

I'm literally only talking about two specific reaction images, feelsgoodman and sadfrog. Everything that came after is just edits.

It was popular on Sup Forums, that's why it became a thing. Before he was Pepe, he was the Feels Good, Man frog.

I feel really bad for Matt Furie. A bastardized version of one of his characters that barely even resembles the character at this point but uses the same meme becamed labeled by the government as a literal white supremacist hate symbol, to the point where posting him anywhere gets you automatically called a Nazi.

>same meme

Oops, I meant to say same name*

I think if they used a different name like "meme frog" or something then it would be fine because it barely resembles the original anyway, but the fact that it uses the name Pepe really drags the comic and his creator through the mud.

I nominate "memefrog" as Pepe's new name. Who's with me on this?

Yes, boy's club was scanned and posted on Sup Forums years ago along with another indie comic, Multiforce which also spawned a meme in skeleton jelly
I wish posting obscure zines was still a thing on here

Wait the Nazi symbol thing was real? Are you kidding me? You gotta be, why would they do this for what purpose? It's just an edited frog what he fuck

I'll continue to call him Reddit-Ribbit.

>labeled by the government

It wasn't labelled that by the government, you moron. It was by an independent organization. It's not illegal to post a pepe or something, just a dumb move considering what Sup Forums and /r9k/ have done to his image over the years.

Nothing to do with Reddit.

>tfw normies associate pepe with nazis

Now why would anyone choose a green frog to represent white supremacy?

Reddit uses it a lot - IIRC they have an entire board for it - and I don't like seeing it. So I'm hoping to associate it with the site so I see less of it. Like how rage faces saw a sharp decline when normalfags on reddit and facebook found them.

Because the french are white, smug, and arrogant, obviously.

It's weird to me that Sup Forums dropped rage faces at the drop of a hat as soon as Facebook and reddit started using them, but when the same thing happened to Pepe, they actually posted him even more. I'm still seeing new versions of that fucking frog even to this day.

It even says in the hate symbol assessment that it's a meme with often no hateful meaning or intent, and had a long and complicated history, the whole moral panic of "it's a hate symbol now and forever" has more to do with sensationalist journalism than to do with it being designated a hate symbol. There are hate symbols that are used commercially with no issue because people accept they have many meanings, like the iron cross, lightning bolts, and pinwheels.

I find this thing hilarious desu.
The MSM is so stupid that they think a skirt featuring frogs wearing swimming goggles is racist. How long till they call actual frogs racist? They'd probably go ape shit if a little boy named his frog Pepe.

Forgot picture

>Wait the Nazi symbol thing was real? Are you kidding me?

ADL classified Pepe as such within their accessible database.

The real kicker is, almost immediately afterwards they (((offered))) Matt Furie a chance to try and free his flagship character from this mark of shame.

>It's weird to me that Sup Forums dropped rage faces at the drop of a hat as soon as Facebook and reddit started using them,

Replacement had been found pretty damn fast.

This is how Tyrone the dindu was born. Similar usage, but too racist for normies to use freely.

I think it's because they see pepe as more than a joke for some stupid reason.
Like, Rage comics, those were for a laugh, and when normalfags caught on, people just went, "well, it's dead now, onto the next joke." But I think people are taking a meme seriously, ruining its humor and being damn irritating.

Hey, I've seen that guy on TV!

It was done on purpose you mong

you bitch Sup Forums was made in 2012

I can't keep up with the memes anymore. It used to be that Pepe was "feels good, man" now Pepe and "cuck" are used by assholes no one should want to associate with. It's fucking Bronyfags all over again. Hideo Kojima warned us about this shit.

I always get mad when big companies like Disney go after little people for seemingly innocuous offenses like Mickey Mouse ears. But then I think of Pepe which is the perfect example of how not protecting your intellectual property can turn it into fucking shit.

Like if Disney didn't care Mickey Mouse would be some political workers symbol or something because he works shit jobs and scrapes by.

property rights 3rd best rights

This reminds me of the Calvin pissing on things decal. How was that allowed to happen?

going to a zine con in a few days, I'll see what I can find...

>wanted to read the comics back in 2008
>it was a "pay me and I will mail them to you"

Wonder if there was a digital option now.

I love how you're both conveniently failing to mention that the "independent organization is the "Anti-Defamation League", a Jewish supremacist organization.

m.comixology.com/Boys-Club/digital-comic/358184 Yes even drm free back up.

This gets you upset...why?

Sup Forums did what /r9k/ couldn't and took Pepe home.

There was nothing he could have done. Sup Forums simply doesn't care about that stuff, period.
If he had tried to brute force things with a DMCA the ensuing shitstorm would have destroyed his career altogether.

I remember reading Final Crisis with Sup Forums. That was 2008.

This
There was pretty much nothing he could do.

I think that does explain why older people get so confused over this. They're used to corporate-owned characters whose images are kept squeaky clean. They're not used to the idea of a character who effectively isn't owned by anyone and can be used for anything.

It's digital and has a real book release from Fantagraphics

Plus, I'm sure he secretly appreciates the widespread awareness it has given his comic. Most normies had never heard of it at all before Pepe exploded into the mainstream.

Sup Forums was created in 2006

Because of the popularity of ATLA iirc, Sup Forums was literally a containment board

Oh fuck, sauce on this?

fuck off

Because dick wads who take pol seriously ruined it. Now there's French right wingers using it as part of their attacks. It's taken on a new life outside the US/UK Internet culture. It's kind of surreal.

Kind of like how the swastika used to just be an Asian symbol for good luck and shit before Hitler and a bunch of skinhead assholes ruined it outside Asia.

Or 420 was just a number before potheads got a hold of it.

>implying anyone would even know this fag's name without Sup Forums

this was the best thing to ever happen to him

Because the creator was so concerned about being a sellout that he never sold the rights of his IP to anyone so there was never a reason for any big company to give a damn enough to hire lawyers to protect their financial interests.

No co was because people on other Japanese boards were tired of western shit popping up.

Luke how ACO is an attempt to keep western art out of h and d and reduce the amount of smut in v and co and tg.

y tho? Is it a methaphor for the pointelessness of life and it's inevedable end?