This was the greatest part of Avatar

This was the greatest part of Avatar.

It was ok, nothing special

Alright, user.
Have a good day.

it was good, mako was best voice actor and Iroh was best character partially because of that.

Dammit guys, you were supposed to argue for at least 50 posts.

>Iroh kills untold numbers of people in his zeal for imperial conquest
>"I feel bad now so I can't be held accountable for the lives I took and families I destroyed."
>"Also, feel bad for me because my son is dead."

Finding out that Iroh was a mass murderer killed his character arc for me. He did not deserve anything approaching a happy ending or sympathy. It was tone deaf writing on Bryke's part.

>untold numbers
could be like 0 people, nobody knows, he's never told anyone.

If you go Meta with any show it becomes shit

The fact that he used to be a war general and turned away from it after his son's death and then found enlightenment IS his character arc. It's a parallel to what Zuko goes through.

Doesn't me he shouldn't be held accountable for the evil deeds he committed and lives he took/ruined.

"Sorry" isn't good enough. He should have stayed in prison.

Yes, Mako dying was the best thing that could have happened to the series. Just like Ledger's and Walker's death elevated their last meh movies to money printing machines, Mako kicking the bucket elevated Avatar from "hey, I watched that as a kid, it was pretty good" to a cult classic.

Nah

He was raised that way, then he helped conquer the Ba Sing Se in the name of the Earth Kingdom, cut him some slack.

No, that's not why and you know it.

If Iroh was truly remorseful for the lives he took as a general, he would face the consequences instead of trying to live in peace and happiness under an assumed name in the Earth Kingdom.

He's no better than all the Axis soldiers who fled to Brazil to escape the Nuremberg trials.

I guess you have a point, user. Seems quite reasonable.
I still enjoyed the episode.
I'm sorry you did not.

>He's no better than all the Axis soldiers who fled to Brazil to escape the Nuremberg trials.
that's completely unrelated because Iroh actually killed people

This.

"Hey, I was in the SS but then my son died and I felt bad about it, so I saved a few Jews, this totally makes me cool and not accoutable for those dozens of kids I shot, right?"

If he really was a changed man, he would have turned himself in and demanded to be held responsible for his actions once the good guys won.

The same people who defend Iroh's right to live in freedom and happiness likely also think that Joseph Mengele deserved to retire in comfort and luxury in South America.

The fact that he can never atone for all the grief he has caused is all part of his character. In fact my memory's a little fuzzy, but I believe there was even a point in which people from Ba Sing Se who could not forgive what he did confronted him and he pretty much just accepted their hatred. He is not looking for forgiveness; repentance is a Christian notion. In Buddhist fashion, he has let go of the past and makes the best he can out of the time he has remaining.

But you have such a childish take on morality I wouldn't expect you to get anything out of any of this.

I highly doubt Iroh did anything on the same level as Mengele. C'mon now.

>But you have such a childish take on morality I wouldn't expect you to get anything out of any of this.

>Feeling remorse for wronging other people is childish
>being held accountable for crimes committed is childish

Found the sperg!

This.

You will forever live the life of a child, wont you? Filled with ideas of comic book heroes and Disney stories. Never looking inwards, never reading literature or even appreciating an honest movie. Never even understanding the religious morals which you have inherited.

I do not pity those who live an unexamined life. I merely mute you.

He never asks anyone to be ok with him or what he was. He devoted his remaining life to fixing the damage he helped cause.

>wah wah Christianity!

Don't you have a fedora you should be tipping?

Buddhist do not let murderes go free because they feel bad and open an orphange. Iroh changing his heart and trying to do only good is one thing, others not holding him responsible for past actions is another. The universe bent backwards so he could be absolved of his sins and that's what is bullshit.

He did face the consequences. He took his brother's son under his wing and actively opposed the Fire Nation. He defected.

And even then, the only person Iroh gave a shit about helping was his own nephew.

I will kill your entire family but then I'll say I feel bad, cry a lot and finally become a monk. Will you let me go or will you demand a fair trial for my crimes?

Iroh was a general in a war. What war crimes did he commit?

>Buddhist do not let murderes go free because they feel bad and open an orphange.
yeaah. they do.

I thoroughly enjoyed that whole episode.

rip mako

So if Brevik adopted an immigrant child and then actively opposed gun violence, he'd be allowed to go free?

And yet you're the one who believes that a repentance absolves one of consequences and accountability.

>"But I said I was SORRY!"

Now THAT'S childish.

Did they ever talk about what Iroh did during the war, beside leading the siege on Ba Sing Se?

He was a general that generally did general stuff.

>"Hey now, *I* didn't kill anybody! I just ordered soldiers to kill people! I'm not responsible!"

He wasn't a murderer, he was a General. How many American Generals were imprisoned for doing their job? Iroh didn't oversee a death camp, he fought with Earth Nation soldiers.

I a soldier in nazi germany turned his life around and heavily contributed to bringing down Hitler he would be remembered as a hero. Iroh is no different. He was essentially brainwashed as a young man by the fire nations culture and then after having the reality check of his son dying for his own actions he started questioning his whole world. Saying he should be locked up forever because of this isn't something I agree with.

I think it is called war crimes or something.

Of course, you cannot provide examples of murderers or war criminals being let go and not prosecuted because they apologized, but fuck it, I will trust your word on it.

Fuck, if only Osama apologized for 9/11, we would avoid so many wars and families of everyone who died could sleep peacefully knowing how bad he feels about it.

No, because he's a terrorist who killed innocents. Iroh engaged an enemy force that up to that point were seen as undefeatable and ultimately left his post before his victory could be realized. If anything he's guilty of desertion.

That's not a war crime though.

It's not about what you say, it's about what you do.

You do realise you can't imprison someone just for acting like a general right?

He didn't kill a dragon.

Shitty grammar but I agree with this.

Generals of opposing armies are usually thrown to jail if captured. And we are talking about Fire Nation here, they weren't nice people. Every sanctioned action taken by their soldiers, generals are held accountable for.

So should we lock up our military for doing what we pay them for? You aren't the first person to think about this, you're being emotional.

Did England get charged with war crimes after the American revolution? Did the south get charged with war crimes after the Cival war?

And fire nation is known for holdong innocent life in high regard, got it.

What did Iroh do that could be considered a war crime?

He actively turned against the firelord and was critical in his defeat
plenty of folks who failed to assassinate hitler were responsible for quite a few deaths during the war, but you can be your arse if any of them succeeded they would most certainly NOT be nuremberg'd and would have been able to live out their lives in peace

heck we have several examples of nazis being granted a full pardon simply because they were useful, one of them went on to become the director of NASA

They are not, although they are often imprisoned for the duration of the war. What are POWs for 200.
The Japs did it wrong, by the way.

>The Firenation knows they're the bad guys

Are you autistic?

What's that? War is an ethical minefield? Huh, nobody has ever considered that or even wrote about it in length.

It doesn't really matter, Iroh was never involved in actions involving genocide. That was before his time. Should we condem America for testing nukes on Japan? Maybe, but everyone involved is pretty dead. Or getting there.

This.

Will you kill his family as a soldier? Is his family comprised of military personal? Is this happening on a field of battle?

>Iroh engaged an enemy force

The FIre Nation was imperialistic, deliberately invading and conquering other nations. They were not acting in defense.

Basically, we don't know enough about his career to convict him of anything. Did Churchill rape german women? Probably not, but if he had that'd be a war crime.

>Did the south get charged with war crimes after the Cival war?

Actually yes.

Numerous Confederate officers were captured and hung/shot.

So? The UN doesn't exist in this world, if it wasn't the Fire Nation then it'd be the Earth Kingdom in 50 years. Their only true war crime was the Air nation genocide.

Hell Eisenhower led an invasion (the worst confirmed thing Iroh did) and he got to be President.

In self defense after a preemptive strike against US soil.

The Fire Nation weren't invading as a retaliatory measure, they were invading to claim territory, up to and including the wholesale slaughter or enslavement of civilians.

But Iroh felt bad after the fact so he's good bro.

Yeah you get it.

Ah, civil wars are... messy. No doubt they were killed to stop the war. Not necessarily due to any moral failing on their part. They might have been slavers but that's more of a human rights violation before that has really a thing.

Didn't the Earth Kingdom threaten the world with imperialism at one point? ;)

In any case, you're kind of applying modern morality to what's more or less a pre-industrial world. International law isn't a thing unless you make it so.

Reminder that the earth-kindom commited literal in-universe war crimes in desperation to protect Ba Sing Se and that was what killed Iroh's son.

iirc the war started with the great grampy fire lord a good guy

War, war never changes.

>tfw the Fire Nation colonies become Murica.

didn't the vice president of the union get elected to congress

Isn't that Rommel? Didn't save his reputation none. He's still regarded as just another scummy Nazi. Same with the O.G. Himmler.

You're wrong.