Just ordered this

Just ordered this.

Fuck NuWars.

What am I in for?

Other urls found in this thread:

starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Chocolate
tor.com/2013/02/28/how-zahns-heir-to-the-empire-turned-star-wars-into-science-fiction/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

A long, dull life in which you never come to terms with your mediocrity

Did you get the other two in the trilogy?
It's good. In my opinion not the masterpiece that it gets labeled by some, but it certainly IS a masterpiece in comparison to the vast majority of the EU (or legends, whatever).
It's set 5 years after Jedi, if I recall correctly, and that's about all you need to know going in. It's not perfect but "gets" Star Wars and would have made good movies if you cut out a chunk of the silly stuff.
There is also a fairly decent Dark Horse comics adaptation of all three books, or at least I remember them being decent.

Again, not wanting to spoil anything for you (if you can even spoil a 20 year old book) but you'll notice more than a few themes and ideas in this trilogy that later get lifted into clone wars, rebels, and even the new movies.

LUUUUUKE

it was billed as the continuation of the origina trilogy, and it did a good job at it. Enjoy a top tier star wars story, which if placed outside star wars would only be okey.

Fun.

You are going to have fun.

Enjoy it, user.

Shitty trash that - and I can't believe I'm actually about to type this - is less shitty than the actual sequel films.

TFW know the bearded men's name

Joruus C'baoth

Sounds good lads. Can't wait to get stuck in.

I read these when they came out, and while they are good, i never understood why they were considered 7, 8, and 9. I mean, they literally take place a few years after Return, when even George had made it clear that full "Episodes" usually have a full generational gap.

That stupid book that came out a few years ago with Ben Skywalker killing everyone is the first EU book to be around the same timeline point as NuWars.

>When buying a book has the same result as killing mozart

It's just too easy to slip up in life

if you want to try the EU, buy the X-Wing series.

It's a good SW military fiction. Lots of space battles, etc.

A schlocky paperback sci-fi novel with characters that share the names of Star Wars characters.

I've seriously never understood the hype for this series. It didn't feel anything like Star Wars to me, and the plot is full of really stupid scifi contrivances.

Better yet, read the Horus Heresy series (WH 40k)

Haven't read anything from that far down the timeline except the comics but:

35 ABY - Dark Nest trilogy

I don't know if that's a good starting point though since I thought Dark Nest to be the finale of the Yuuzhan Vong War.

Directly after it comes the first book of Legacy of the Force which should be a starting point, I guess if you dislike starting with the New Jedi Order which is the Yuuzhan Vong wars start.

how many times did i see the nigger shooting light out his fingers at the bookstore

I still don't know how you pronounce that

To be honest from a Star Wars fan that wasted hours with all of the media:

The Books are fucking gay.

Seriously, I loved the shit out of Darth Plagueis and Banes first book but Thrawn trilogy kind of made me angry how paranoid everybody was and how few actual war happened despite Thrawn being the main villain. It was all far more about the galactic underworld or even the politics of the New Republic, where a very important (seeming) plotpoint just gets flat-out dropped and I never heard anybody commenting on it.
I think I liked Darth Bane only because I haven't played KOTOR at that point or read the comic Jedi v.s. Sith which together make up basically 90% of what the book has to tell you.
X-Wing was a nice line but more about a general sci-fi war, might as well go full Starship Troopers.

The comics are interestingly far more varied in stories and don't need as much artificial soap-opera tier drama like people refusing to talk to each other for the entirety of a book when they could wrap up the plot that way in minutes.

And finally, don't fucking pay for it. Nothing goes to authors or Lucas anymore. Visit Sup Forumss Star Wars general.

Zeh-buh-joth

I remember going to Barnes and Noble with my mom one time and seeing this, read it in like 2 days
I used to read so much star wars shit, feel like if I went back and reread some they'd all be shit

Pretty much the same shit, you retard.

Is this the one where Luke shares a recipe for hot chocolate and says "touché" a lot?

I am NOT joking. Have fun with your book.

According to the audiobook, it's Joh-rooss Sah-bah-yoth

Well fuck YOU Mr Mouse, chocolate is still fucking canon

starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Chocolate

only ever read this one

it was shit

Wedge does the audiobook version

What are those DH Comics called, im a comic nab and have only read some Legacy comics my mate got me

Meh..overhyped
Darth Bane Trilogy is work reading tho

They had a bunch of different titles before Marvel re-acquired them (the old marvel ones from late 70s/early 80s are really fun too and often super silly).
The ones related to this are adaptations of this particular trilogy of star wars expanded universe novels, so "heir to the empire", "dark force rising", "the last command".

who is the guy with lightfingers?

fuck the vong and emperor taking over the galaxy to weaponize to safe it bullshit.

It's a far better continuation of the story

a clone of a clone wars jedi. There is also Luuke Skywalker. It's pretty shit desu.

Just do Legacy of the Force if you want a another shot at an Episode 7, 8, 9.

It's a great trilogy. Really really great. One of the best in EU. Find a good reading order from here to NJO.

Thanks senpai

Best Star Wars comics incoming

Dark Times
Empire (followed by Rebellion)
Republic
Tales (anthology line)
Crimson Empire (only first 6 issues)
Dark Empire (only first 6 issues)

The comic adaptations of Thrawn trilogy are a good substitute if you don't want to read 12 hours per book.

And Luke got the recipe from Lando. The only black guy in the galaxy.

>Dark Times

my nigger.

but not listing KOTOR comics? they are GOAT.

Needed sex. Hell, It wasn't until Dark Forces came out that we even saw a restroom.

I've had these for years and never read them. I will remedy that in the future after I fuck your sister.

In all likelihood you are a guy who hasn't read a book since high school.

Anyone remember this?

That was almost a lethal dose of nostalgia. Can't remember the last time I played Dark Forces but I know I was close to finishing it but didn't...

I think I started playing Heart of Darkness and forgot about it.

What the fuck are you talking about?

SOTE is the only movie adaption that I could see being done well in current year desu

KOTOR or other EU stuff is too liable to be blundered

Classic. It's a real shame that the Thrawn trilogy is not the real Episodes VII-IX.

I'm just not really a fan of badly written genre fiction. I like Star Wars for being a space fantasy with a lot of elements from pulp adventure stories; it was never supposed to be serious science fiction, but that's exactly how the Thrawn Trilogy presents everything, complete with all the tropes of that Tor/Del Ray world. Here's even an article from Tor praising it for finally making Star Wars serious science fiction.

tor.com/2013/02/28/how-zahns-heir-to-the-empire-turned-star-wars-into-science-fiction/

I can fully understand why people who like that style of fiction would like Zahn's stuff, but I didn't, and I really don't think it works as a follow up to Star Wars.

KOTOR-era comics are the only Dark Horse comics I haven't touched yet except for Tales of the Jedi. Currently finishing Legacy for the first time.

I hope Disney is taking some more clues from the comics. Rogue One felt like it could easily have been a 4 or 6 issue story within the Empire line. I wish new Marvel had kept the quality.

fpbp

whats the one where luke goes bad and is flying around in a tie fighter force crushing other ships around him...?

Better than TLJ

in fast, every SW EU book and comic ever is better than TLJ and only a handful are worse than TFA

Mara Jade.

That never happens, your probably thinking of jacen

>No-one mentioning the trilogy about the big guy with the master plan shameful

The 80s/90s EU was fucking comfy
Don't read the Legacy series though

Read rogue and wraith squadron, easily the best thing EU ever did

Was it Kino?

This, along with Catalyst and the three Claudia Gray books are the only ones worth reading in the new canon

what about the new Thrawn book, is that shit too?

Mara and Luke not banging? idk

Not yet, waiting on the second one to read them together. I hear it's good, but I don't know how much of that is Timoth Zahn memery
His last books in the old canon weren't great

The last good thrawn book was the one where he and C'boath meet for the first time

>Not yet
Haven't read it yet**

Read Dune like an adult

I really really like Lost Stars.

Please don't, Frank was a terrible writer.

The philosophical musings fall flat, the court intrigue is stretched out way too long. All the action occurs off-screen. And the pacing is absolutely fucked, with 90% of the events of each book happening in the last 30 pages.

I understand how big of an influence it had, but all of the world building that Star Wars and 40k adapted were from throwaway lines. The actual books are dull as dishwater. I find it really hard to believe that the Thrawn books would be worse.

This book was actually boring as hell.

>All the action occurs off-screen
you're retarded

One time I sold all my EU paperbacks and got like $65 in store credit at a used bookstore, I still have the slip lying around from like 10 years ago. I should go back and guy all the good SF they have.

Shit tier fan fiction

It does, all we ever get are a few knife duels, secondhand reports of whether battles succeed or not, and some books have one assassination attempt.

Seriously, Dune is way overrated. Despite the retarded wierding module stuff, the Lynch movie is just as good as the book, but with added visual flair and ancillary scenes that weren't in the book, and a much shorter running time. Not to mention it doesn't spoil who the traitor is in the first few pages.

Are there any books that are set in the Old Republic?

Soy Wars is shit but so is the EU.

The Revan book was surprisingly pretty decent.

And I just bought this one. Knowing that I'm already a TPM enthousiast, what am I in for?

shit i should've sold mine instead of dumping them in the trash

Yeah probably dumbass lol

>Needed sex.

Shut up and get back to editing the review, Mike.

I haven't read it in years. But from what I remember it was okay. These books with the Rogue Squadron books are the only ones I really liked.

Really? When does it get good? I'm on chapter 5 and basically nothing has happened yet.

Star Wars, Heir To The Empire, is a Dole Dipping adventure from start to finish. The action packed, high energy banana goodness of the high fiber Dole Dipper bar is a great start to anyone's day. Here, I brought a free sample for you. Your Dole Dippers, madam.

a flawed trilogy that manchildren don't like but patricians appreciate for what it tried to do.

there are a lot of great ideas, themes, and arcs in there, but a few very bad ones and they dont exactly coalesce or resolve to their potential, or anywhere even close. its still worth the read and the world building is actually building, unlike nuwars.