Disney/Rian Johnson Backpedal On Rey's Parents Revelation

>I think he is like telling what he saw and I think that Rey seems like she believes it in that moment. Now as we know in these movies, you know the whole idea of a certain point of view comes into play and...I want to make it clear I’m not sure how it’s going to get resolved.

comicbookmovie.com/sci-fi/star_wars/spoilers-star-wars-the-last-jedi-director-rian-johnson-on-the-truth-of-reys-parents-a156389

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=pSOBeD1GC_Y
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

>another soy wars thread

Rey comes from loser parents but she is the reincarnation of Obi Kenobi

She is Luke's child.
>I will not be The Last Jedi [Skywalker]
Kylo had something to do with her disappearance.

>you know the whole idea of a certain point of view comes into play

Fuck Rey and her fucking parents. It doesn't matter who her parents were, she ended up being abandoned and she waited years for them instead of living her life. Harsh planet, awful job, no friends. She wasted her life. She needs to let go of the past.

And the first words we hear her say in the trailer is that she's no one. It's fucking okay to be a no one, we all are.

Unbelievable. What fucking soy boy. At least own up to the shit movie you made.

youtube.com/watch?v=pSOBeD1GC_Y

She would have felt a bond over the force.

cringe

If she was Kenobi's child, she would be at least in her 30s. Not even gonna get into how that would ruin Ben's character.

If she was Luke's child, he'd be a really bad father for letting her be homeless on a junkyard in the middle of nowhere.

End this weakass debate.

Thanks for being the only person in this thread with an IQ above 60.

>I want to make it clear I’m not sure how it’s going to get resolved.
?!?!?!
You've MADE the movie. What else do you need to be sure?

I have a feeling that Disney is going to backpedal a lot.

Be honest, did anyone really expect to stick with Rey having a simple origin?

They better not fucking backpedal. This was THE best possible resolution to the parents issue. You faggot fanboys just want nonsensical fanservice instead of something new and daring.

That's a nice ad hominem.

JJ told me just to make a movie and that he would finish all the leads I start like I did with his so who cares you know?

after the prequels made Anakin literally jesus prequelbabbies can't comprehend a hero with simple origins

Luke cut himself off from the Force. She definitely felt him when he died.

Yeah, like Luke was the son of galaxy's worst villain. This kind of a simple origin?

these movies are not very consistent

>I'm being bold with this movie and that's why you should like it
>I'm not actually being bold LMAO
>none of this stuff is set in stone

He directed it. These are committee productions. He's not free to make any irreversible decisions. I think making Rey an ordinary person is the best possible decision for the franchise at this stage of the game, but he's not able to force them to keep to that idea.

>None of this stuff is set in stone

you fucking killed a shitload of characters my dude

So the mitochondrians got together and said “hey, this with thing is a problem. let’s make an edgelord who will become a sith, but kill a sith, then his son will make his grandson a sith, then when he dies the whole plan will wrap up nicely”?

They said the mainline movies are the story of the skywalker family, but the happy ending is that they all die badly?

I kinda like the prequels. That's actually the exact reason why I want a character with simple origins. It would make the perfect contrast.

No, Luke's father BECAME the galaxy's worst villain. That's about how evil can tempt anyone.

ALSO - Vader wasn't the galaxy's worst villain in the original movie. So much of fan angst is the result of George Lucas's weird desire to rewrite history. Until late in the game, he had no more fucking clue where he was going than Coppola did shooting Apocalypse Now. ANH Vader is just a badass enforcer with great memes. It's only in ESB that he's suddenly the Mack Daddy - because his action figure sold so well.

>"Darth Vader betrayed and murdered your father"

>"I went to Kylo that night to confront him and he attacked me"

>"Your parents were junkers who sold you for drinking money and died on Jakku"

No one in Star Wars has ever lied or told "their certain point of view" before

He's the main writer. He bragged about writing the script before TFA was even released.

>They said the mainline movies are the story of the skywalker family, but the happy ending is that they all die badly?

Leia's gonna die well, except it's going to be cringy as fuck because it'll be that morphant effect from the Marvel young Tony flashbacks, with a soundboard voice. Grim.

keking now at the thought of CG Carrie Fisher grinnin like the Aphex Twin!

>when the sequel in trio of movies fucks everything up so hard you have literally nowhere to go in the third

besides Rey/Kylo shit what else is there?

>soy wars

This. There needs to be pride accessible to nobodies. It is also important for a hero's journey.

This. Even if they backpedal and give her parents. Whoever it is, they've literally made it impossible to fix Rian's script. Rian has made an unsalvageable script that no sequel can fix.

father and not-his-stepdaughter bond

Why are you replying with what I wrote with this? All of this is equally possible, but let's be honest, the real issue is that he won't know what happens until at some point, two years or so after it comes out, he can be bothered to read Wikipedia's article on the next JJ film. He's an employee, and his work is done. It's committee filmmaking, don't overthink it.

Maz tells her this: "Dear Child - the belonging you seek is not behind you. It is ahead."

This is twice that she's been told to grow the fuck up. I bet you thought Maz meant she'd meet her dad Luke and she could stay a womanchild but no, she meant she'd have to mature out of childish longing for a family, parents. Adult women become mothers, not stuck in a daughter role.

You disgusting tumblrina.

holy shit please be bait lmoa

Yes, and they're committee productions on which he can make no final decision. Why are you arguing with me about incontrovertible fact? The only auteur of Disney's Star Wars is Kathleen Kennedy - maybe.

I wonder on what else they'll backtrrack.
Maybe have a Snoke clone so he can say his stroy in two sentences and then get killed again?

Probably because they realize that if she's not from Force sensitives then she's inexplicably a giant Mary Sue. It's possible that Rey's "parents" adopted her

He's created sunshiny people will have to rewatch again and again as a second in a trilogy. This movie will age great.

Dave Filoni will bring him back with robot legs, when his new sequel era series that still somehow has clones and ashoka in it starts

I hate Ahsoka but she's better than any character in this turd.

*created something

He has to let JJ make his own decisions for Episode IX

she'll die between movies and they release a comicbook about it

All we learned of Rey's past is the product of a deliberate deception on Snoke. What we learned might still prove accurate but it seems inherently poisoned due to the source and nature of the information reveal.

>I'm so fucking edgy lol
>No actually I am not, please come for solo and episode 9. I need my career still
HAHAHAHA

>Not even gonna get into how that would ruin Ben's character.
i'd like you to. as ot kenobi wasn't exactly morally perfect from a certain point of view.

There is nothing wrong with Rey having nobody parents it is just that it was set up that her parents would be somebodys.
If they were nobodys just establish that at the beginning instead of having an unsatisfying reveal later on.

He was the model Jedi.
>inb4 Clone Wars autism

>anakin was literally jesus but was a morally flawed character who able to beat masters in duels
>rey is literally nobody but is morally perfect and can beat pretty much anyone in a fight easily
poetry

>ANH Vader is just a badass enforcer with great memes
>one of the only 3 characters who have magic powers
>just some guy

>you know the whole idea of a certain point of view comes into play
>the whole idea of a certain point of view
>a certain point of view
>point of view

Honestly, I mean they even showed the parents jetting off into space... Yet they were still back on Jakku the whole time? Fuck nu-wars, it's just one big load of infuriating, unsatisfying plot-holes.

>He was the model Jedi.
except he wasn't a model jedi in the ot.
>clone wars autism
ORIGINAL TRILOGY
>hey luke let me lie to you about your father
>hey luke how about i wait to tell you about your sister AFTER you swapped spit with her
>hey luke let's not diffuse this situation non-violently let me just chop off this drunk guys arm
and he was a good friend

>the whole idea of a certain point of view comes into play

Is this guy for real?

This trilogy is such a fucking mess. It's hilarious. Look at them desperately try to claw back the disillusioned fanbase in time for Solo: A Star Wars Story, a movie that virtually no one wants.

>I want to make it clear I’m not sure how it’s going to get resolved.

That's not good Rian! That's not good at all! 2 movies into a 3 movie sequence! Rian!

She is the most natural and strongest user of the force we have ever seen in the movies. I think who her parents are should have mattered more than them being nobodies.

...he's not writing Episode 9. These scripts have always been super secretive since the original. Ford didn't know the "I am your father" shit till the film was released.

Making her Luke's child that he tried to hide from Kylo is the only way to salvage this. If not, and these movies completely cease to be about the Skywalker family, then Star Wars is especially dead.

>If they were nobodys just establish that at the beginning instead of having an unsatisfying reveal later on.

And people have the temerity to complain about Rey being a Mary Sue. You do realize Rey's delusional belief that her parents would come back for her is the only character flaw she ever had, and you want to take that away too? And the fact that it was a delusion was no Rian's idea, it goes back to TFA.

When Rey is offered an opportunity to escape her hellhole life to go adventure with Han, she refuses because "she's been away too long", i.e. she still thinks her parents are coming back. That's a dead giveaway that her parents are not coming back, they abandoned her and she's following a pipe dream.

Fucking screenplay 101.

What the everliving fuck are you talking about? Anakin was one of the most powerful force users in the galaxy and his mother was a slave from a middle of nowhere planet.

>and these movies completely cease to be about the Skywalker family, then Star Wars is especially dead.

Please explain how that is the case. I need to understand how your only takeaway from the Star Wars saga, is

>You can't do Star Wars without Skywalkers

He was literally immaculately conceived.

It is about Skywalkers. TFA and TLJ has Leia, Leia's son and Luke. Rey could marry into the family but retards intantilize her like she's 12, not a grown up woman who can decide her future on her own. You make me sick.

I know that. But they should at least be exchanging notes, in order that it doesn't just end up a fragmented mess with nothing making any thematic sense because writer A doesn't give a shit about something writer B was clearly leaning on a lot, no? Otherwise there won't be any internal consistency, things will just happen for no reason, or things won't happen that need to happen to finish something else off.

Some of the biggest themes in the narrative are family, whether biological or surrogate. Where we came from, how we got to where we are, and where it will take us in the future. Lucas had always intended the story to be intertwined by different generations, in a similar fashion that folklore is passed down.

That's not what that term even means. But since you wanna talk about Christ. Jesus was born of two, poor, unwed teenagers outside a fucking hotel. Parentage means jackshit when it comes to destroying empires.

It's nice to be a no one if she wasn't explicitly shown to be the best force user ever with absolutely no training
Even ANH, which was made with the intention of being a one-off, and had Luke do much less demanding things, still had the sense to give Luke a familial connection to explain why some farm boy from the middle of nowhere can come into contact with a mystical power
It's just such an obvious backpedaling of whatever the fuck JJ Abrams was thinking that to hear anyone defend it is laughable

Do you think a jedi or sith ever gave a force handjob? Just think about that for a second.

They do exchange notes. But he doesn't know how those notes are going to be realized in a still unfinished script he's not even writing.

He was still a model Jedi in Clone Wars, he was tempted to sway from the rules of the Order but he ultimately didn't.

It does when the established premise has powerful force users being born to powerful force users

>I’m not sure how it’s going to get resolved

top tier writing

What is a granddaughters

But they should they absolutely should. They should have sat down before they even started filming TFA and pinned down what their story was going to do and where it was going to go and, most importantly, why. Otherwise none of it will make sense.

She could be one of luke's tattoine inlaws retard he probably has like 300 of them

Is that so? Who are Yoda's parents? Who are Obi-Wan's parents? Who are Palpatine's parents? And so on and so forth.

Anakin's mother was a nobody who never for a second used any force powers. Deal with it.

Thinking several movies ahead is why the fucking DCEU movies are cancerous and have abysmal scripts. Just accept the fact that you're a fan and not a filmmaker.

>Remember snoke dieing, well that was just a mask XD get 4D chessed

And he received years of indentured training from jedi masters you fucking pleb.
>stronk womyn
Disney changed the narrative. Thats why so many lrogressives are jumping aboard.

> Who are Yoda's parents? Who are Obi-Wan's parents? Who are Palpatine's parents?

Who cares?

>Anakin's mother was a nobody

Who was his father? Unknown

Anakin, powerful force user. Has Leia and Luke, powerful force users. Leia has Ben, a poweful force user. That's enough to establish it.

>And he received years of indentured training from jedi masters you fucking pleb.

That's a huge part of my fucking point, dipshit.

Bullshit, If you're setting out to make a trilogy in Star Wars, where each film is one of three chapters of a single story featuring the same characters, you should know the character dynamics of your protagonists from start to finish. That's not filmmaking, that's storytelling 101. Otherwise it's just making shit up as you go along.

How does that contradict anything I said? At all?

You make up shit as you go along based on characters, setting and circumstance, dumbass. Otherwise, you're creating plot contrivances.

How many serials have you written if you don't mind me asking?

Uhh because that's what the story is ABOUT? If you come in and just make some new shit in the same universe you're essentially just making a fanfic. The story so far has been about the Skywalker family.

Well you seem to be disagreeing with me

You make shit up as you go along BEFOREHAND, while you're writing the story. And the you go back and you edit, and you change things, and you make it make sense as a whole. And THEN you show it to the world, when it's finished and you're satisfied that it makes sense. That's how art's always been made, it's not spontaneous.

How many cars have you built? How many buildings have you designed? Have you ever painted a painting? Fuck off with this transparently awful fucking logic, children learn the problem with this argument.

>I think he is like telling what he saw
I mean that's obvious, he was telling her what she already knew/believed deep down even if she didn't want to admit it but that doesn't mean it's the whole picture.

My point is that parentage doesn't determine "force sensitivity." The Jedi religion has always ALWAYS been a pantheistic allegory about the connection between all matter and living beings.

>it's not spontaneous

>parentage doesn't determine "force sensitivity."

I've shown that there's a basis for believing force sensitivity is genetic. You've shown no basis to disbelieve that. If we did know about Yoda's parents and Obi Wan's parents, and they WEREN'T force sensitive, you might have a leg to stand on.

Musicians don't make up songs during gigs.
Painters sketch and make up palates beforehand.

If force sensitivity is genetic then why the everlasting hell would they make a council of celibates?