memory-alpha.wikia.com/wiki/Replicator
youtube.com/watch?v=wHAFxsdtDbM
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Who had it worse O'Brien or Harry Kim?

OB for sure.

>watching TNG
>S5E5: Disaster
>O'Brien to Troi: "We have no idea if they're dead"
Troi usually feels people on other ships and sometimes down to the fucking planet. Why the hell isn't she just telling them that there are scared and wounded people in the other section? I swear to god Empaths are the most worthless of all "powered" beings in the entire Trek Universe. About as useful as Invisibility as long as nobody is looking.

ITS BEEN A LONG ROAD

So how did they solve pic related problem in trek?

Dude, it's just a tv show.

GETTIN' FROM THERE TO HERE

Vulcan economics

ITS BEEN A LONG TIME

Just turn your brain off lmao
Interesting

BUT MY TIME IS FINALLY HERE

I WILL CRACK THE SKYE

ATTENTION BAJORAN WORKERS
PEEKING AT YOUR PRESENTS WILL PUT YOU ON THE NAUGHTY LIST AND YOU WILL GET ORE IN YOUR STOCKING

FOR BUN B TO GET HIS MUTHA FUCKIN' SHOT AT THE GAME

>The Virgin Captain
>The Chad Tribble

I guess Bjoran propaganda was true.

I heard the Cardassians didn't even keep the receipts so you could exchange your presents.

Trek is literally unironically hippie communism. They got rid of currency and everyone still works somehow for the "advancement of the race". Very selflessly.
But then again in other episodes you see less selfless humans risking or even sacrificing other peoples lives for career advancement. Not so selfless.
Most of trek only really makes sense on a superficial "per episode" basis. For instance thanks to replicators, raw material would be worth more the denser it is. More for the replicator to work with to turn it other stuff. Yet we don't really see this being the case (the exception would obviously be all the materials that can't be replicated for some nonsense reason)

I remember one of my C++ professors talking about how once we abandon money people will work hard because people don't care about money but about recognition.
He also changed his sex over a summer break.

quick: name the three best episodes from TNG season 1

>Royale
>KANGS
>Sludge monster

>TNG season 1

I peeked at my present and it was ore

>computer make me a cutie with a receding hairline.

1) 11001001
2) ??
3) ?????

>For instance thanks to replicators, raw material would be worth more the denser it is. More for the replicator to work with to turn it other stuff.
That isn't how replicators work, they turn energy into matter

Of course. You are guilty and therefore you always would have been guilty. Cardassian religion is very similar to Calvinism.

Cardassians worship the state

How often do you think people fuck female versions of themselves on the holodecks.
Is that what Obrian and Bashir are doing in the holosuites?

memory-alpha.wikia.com/wiki/Replicator
Literally the first line of the article proves you wrong

>C++
There's your problem.

I'm a big nosed hairy Iberian. I wouldn't want any part of that.

tfw no barkley gf

I'm shit at C++, the professor just talked about the same political bullshit every class, and homework assignments were the same in both semesters and had no connection the textbook.

I laughed

We are the Borg. Your biological and technological festiveness will be added to our own.

Logical

>once we abandon money people will work hard because people don't care about money but about recognition.
That might work for things such as movie stars or other glamorous professions. But that's a ridiculously small percentage of jobs there are, ans actually 0.00% of the jobs that MATTER.
There's not gonna be Sewer technicians and garbage men that are in it for the fame. Nobody is gonna do hard field work to be recognized (fuck, look at hollywood in general, rednecks and farmers are the only demographic you're always allowed to depict horribly and without respect, see: Deliverance for instance.) Nobody is gonna want to deliver mail in all kinds of shit weather, or stock shelves somewhere (I know you wouldn't need to buy shit but you'd still need to get it). Some enthusiast would probably still build Motorcycles because he loves doing it, but he wouldn't get any parts because nobody wants to do the shitty metalwork.

And for "Technology" all the phones and computer parts that get manufactured by "basically half a step above slave labour" in Asian countries? That would fucking fall apart in an instant.
We'd literally need the replicator technology first before we abandon money or else we'd be fucked.

Yeah, like the other user pointed out, you are mistaken. they do use matter to "form" into the new objects. I think you've made the mistake because in some instances I think it is mentioned that the process takes a lot of energy.

>That might work for things such as movie stars or other glamorous professions. But that's a ridiculously small percentage of jobs there are, ans actually 0.00% of the jobs that MATTER.
I could see it working for Doctors and Researchers, but as we saw IRL in Berlin during the cold war, those same Doctors and Researchers jumped the wall when given the choice between money and recognition.

Someone make a gif plz
For my wallpaper. They need to blink
Don't care if you include virus

O'Brien in the show, Kim in real life.

The Royale is season 2.
>Royale-loving contrarians in charge of knowing jack shit about Star Trek

>Doctors
Depends. Some surgeons, less proctologists I'd bet. But then again a LARGE part of being a doctor is that it pays really well. The work itself is supposedly really hard on you and doctors have crazy high suicide rates.
I can't imagine many nurses out of the goodness of their heart spending their time in a hospital getting shit thrown at them (literally) by confused patients.

Researches.. again, depends on the field. If an important person you love dies of cancer I can see someone putting their time into this, but for all the lesser shit? All the research nobody gives a fuck about? All the fields that are already understaffed? Who's passionate about researching better waste management?

I was just watching some DS9, relaxing before the week begins again tomorrow. Man, they really got things right in TNG and DS9 in terms of interpersonal relationships and how people treat each other. There's respect, friendship, and teamwork....something that is entirely gone from STD and the latest Star Wars Abortion.

It's the wine I've drunk, I know...but god they got the formula right. This is the kind of society and the kind of people I'd like to be around. This is the kind of escape I ask for...no, I expect from anything that is Star Trek. STD really dropped the ball on this...I hate these people...I don't want to see them or interact with them..and I can't imagine ever serving on a ship with these assholes for more than an hour.

Why did they have to take it away from us? Why destroy something that is so good, and shove it down our throats telling us to like it or else we're bigots? Why not just remember what it's like to be good to one another....

>The work is supposedly really hard
In a money-free society, education would be free, so there would be more doctors/nurses, so each doctor/nurse would have an easier job handling fewer patients over fewer hours.

The hard part is retaining CNAs who don't take the free education to become nurses and doctors too.

>sees Royale KANGS and Sludge monster
>Thinks this is a serious post

What's wrong with KANGS and Sludge Monster? You're not that weirdo who thinks that Sludge Monster was secretly a Caretaker, are you?

What happened to Kim in real life? He wasn't able to direct?

user, take your head out of the sand and wake up to the fact that the TNG senior staff were an asshole clique that shat on all the junior staff.

If you were on that ship then you would NOT get to be their friend.

>STD
It's DISCO

Education is already free in many countries outside of America.
Germany for example. But they don't exactly burst with doctors. And it's not like their universities are worse than US universities.

>He thinks the receiving an education is the hard part of being a Doctor
T. Someone who has never worked in the medical industry or met anyone who has

>But then again a LARGE part of being a doctor is that it pays really well. The work itself is supposedly really hard on you and doctors have crazy high suicide rates.
RN here. The reason doctors have such a high suicide rate is because you get so many people who realized that 10 of the best years of their life and an insane amount of stress isn't worth a fat paycheck.
>I can't imagine many nurses out of the goodness of their heart spending their time in a hospital getting shit thrown at them (literally) by confused patients.
I totally get your point of view. The attraction of nursing is hard to explain. Here's some serendipity for you: the best way is actually with a Star Trek analogy: you know how O'Brien said the reason he doesn't take promotions is because he doesn't feel like putting up with all the crap officers have to deal with? He likes the applied stuff, working directly with machines and understanding and figuring out stuff? As a nurse you get to work more directly with your patients: you're performing a lot of vitals assessments, physical assessments, you're monitoring vitals and tracking the progression of their condition. It's the biggest part of a nurses' job actually, because the rest of the team is going to be basing their diagnoses and prescriptions off of the information you're providing for them, so you need to know what you're looking at and what you're looking for. It's all very cool, and of course it pays off to see the therapies you're administering every day make a positive impact. You also have a better chance at really understanding your patient's situation better than anyone else on the team (it's not that doctors don't want to interact with their patients, it's that hospitals dump so many patients that they have literally no time), so you can figure out what the patient's priorities are and then use that info to help guide the rest of the team's decisions. This really comes up a lot when it comes to patient education.

No, I know that you're wrong about this. That's why Lower Decks was such an awesome episode. It showed the same kind of mature social interaction between equals, superiors, and subordinates, all respectful but thoughtful and intelligent, something that doesn't exist in life today.

It's okay user...I won't hold it against you. It's not about being everyone's friend. That's a side benefit if the situation is appropriate. No, it's about people treating each other with respect regardless of their culture. That's fundamentally unusual today. It's beautiful to see, and a nice fantasy to fall into when you're drunk and have had enough of the current year.

In STD everyone treats everyone else like shit...but that's another story. And no, it's not DISCO...It's STD, and it doesn't matter how hard CBS tries to sell it. They can't win that battle because it was decided long ago when the first pics arrived.

"So you're from Canada, huh? Then make like a leaf and get the fuck out of my face."

sludge monster was pretty cool, he should come back in a movie like Khan

Fuck you science officer, I can do your job better!
Fuck you captain, you don't know how to make decisions!
Fuck you Frecklemonster, you know nothing!

Why do I feel so alone on this ship?

It's called "Caretaker" (VOY S1E1&2)

youtube.com/watch?v=wHAFxsdtDbM

Riker was nice to him he just dropped his spaghetti

>Presumes to know what Doctors think
>Here's some serendipity for you
>Uses words they have no understanding of
>Talks about their job in a grandiose way even though they probably hate every second of it
Yeah you sound like an RN
>T.Pharmaceutical technician

>The look of disgust on Riker's face when he says Canadian
It's good to know that leafs will still be hated in the future

STD has to be about shitty people because it is a prequel. The key part of Roddenberry's vision that TNG realizes is that human beings are evolving over time, and by the 24th century everyone is good to each other. But since it wasn't really like that in the 23rd century, STD has to show that humanity still hasn't reached peak competency yet.

Yes I'm aware that the writers probably didn't think about that and just made it edgy because that is what they think is popular right now.

I thought humanity collectively got it's shit together a little while after first contact. I don't know where you're getting this 24th century deadline.

It wasn't really like that in the 23rd century? How could it change so drastically in 10 years? Kirk's ship had people being fine to each other...and that's only 10 years after STD, so don't give me that revisionist bullshit. Hell, even in Enterprise people were respectful for the most part.

I just watched the "Chaos on the Bridge" documentary someone mentioned in the last thread. In it they talk a lot about how Roddenberry had changed by the time he came back to do TNG, and how his ideas about the future had changed. It shows, TNG is really quite different from TOS. There's not really an in-universe explanation for it, because it's coming from Gene Roddenberry.

Remember all the times McCoy and Spock would rip into each other? During production of TNG, Gene wouldn't allow characters to have that sort of interaction because he said that everybody got along in the 24th century. Everybody.

Other 24th century facts (according to Gene): Everybody has free sex constantly (also part of TMP lore) and people don't mourn a person after they die.

>Everybody has free sex constantly
In the documentary they said that when the writers pitched the idea of Risa to him, he wanted it to be a sex planet with a constant homoerotic orgy going on in the background. He said they would show "women kissing women" and "men holding hands" and imply that everyone offscreen was having sex.

Yes, they would rip into each other, but it was never petty or childish. It was always about presenting two highly different points of view regarding a single problem; how to think about it emotionally (McCoy) and how to think about it logically (Spock). Kirk would then use the info to make a decision that balanced the two.

That's not at all comparable to the shit going down in STD, where no matter what Mary Sue is always right and her opinion trumps all others. It's almost as if you've never watched any of these series...

>Gene wouldn't allow characters to have that sort of interaction
Yet they do in later seasons because Gene ceased to have as much control and they would make jokes to each other all the time.
>Other 24th century facts (according to Gene)
Are you planning on making the orthodox church of star trek or something. By this point Gene was kind of off his rocker after the lectures on star trek hence why the first few seasons are so awkward until later.

>I'm a 82 year old science researcher one rank above ensign. I think it's about time command is for me Riker.

>It's almost as if you've never watched any of these series...
If you're going to go down the road where anybody who disagrees with you must be a fake fan then you're not even worth having a discussion with.

>That's not at all comparable to the shit going down in STD
Yeah, it's not the same vibe as any of the other shows. But a lot of the shows are quite different from each other. They are also all much, much longer than STD, which only has 9 episodes so far. If you just watched the first 9 episodes of TNG, you would say it's a pretty bad show.

>BRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAP!
>number one, did you hear something just now?
>no sir, I hadn't .. but I sure do smell something

But then after the writer (Ira Steven Behr) left the office, Rick Berman pulled him aside and told him to just ignore everything Gene says about sex because Gene never shuts up about sex anyway.

>Yet they do in later seasons because Gene ceased to have as much control and they would make jokes to each other all the time.
I think it's more to do with the fact that Gene was dying/dead that the show moved away from his vision.

Daily reminder:

Only if the reasoning is not sound, and yours isn't. Your refutation of my claim about respectful social interaction is flawed, and so flawed that I can't help but wonder if you've ever watched it.

TOS ALWAYS had respectful interplay between Enterprise crew members, and it was the aliens who either encouraged or displayed behavior that was different. In TNG, the same thing happened for the most part.

What you say about Spock and McCoy is not only inaccurate, but woefully uninformed. Hence, my post.

Aside, what is the deal with Ira Steven Behr? Why does he dress like that? I've seen pictures of him before, but seeing him in that documentary made me realize he looks like that all the time, even toady.
From his work he seems like one of the more competent people who worked on Trek, but he looks like a crazy person.

I'm talking specifically about social interaction between crewmembers. STD has many other problems, but this one to me is the key; that everyone is an asshole, and everyone treats everyone else like an asshole.

TNG had a rough start, no denying that, even though it contained one of the best episodes ever filmed. Throughout all of them it still had people who at least tried to be civil, for fuck's sake...

It's to make you underestimate him.

Why do you think someone who has never watched Star Trek would come into a Star Trek thread and pretend to have opinions?

>someone disagrees with me
>they must be a fake!
For the good of the thread, please don't.

When is Tilly an asshole?

"We have assigned seats..."

I've done it before, back around 2012-13 probably before I watched ToS.

That was just her mega-autism talking

So... you're projecting your own crimes onto others?

>Presumes to know what Doctors think
If I actually talk to doctors and this is what some of them tell me, does that count?
>Talks about their job in a grandiose way
>Describing the basics functions of your job is "grandiose".

>pharmaceutical anything
Oh now I get it. What year did you start apply for medical school? How many cycles did you go through before you realized you were never getting accepted?

Now that we have aliens confirmed on Earth and a real life Section 31 Who hear hyped for actual aliens reveals?

>A 2009 Pentagon briefing summary of the program prepared by its director at the time asserted that “what was considered science fiction is now science fact,” and that the United States was incapable of defending itself against some of the technologies discovered. Mr. Reid’s request for the special designation was denied.

>Mr. Elizondo, in his resignation letter of Oct. 4 2017, said there was a need for more serious attention to “the many accounts from the Navy and other services of unusual aerial systems interfering with military weapon platforms and displaying beyond-next-generation capabilities.” He expressed his frustration with the limitations placed on the program, telling Mr. Mattis that “there remains a vital need to ascertain capability and intent of these phenomena for the benefit of the armed forces and the nation.”

Soon(tm)

Yeah, but that was the whole point of TNG, that's what I'm saying about Roddenberry's vision. It's not the point of STD because it's a different show. It's fine to like some trek series and not others, it's fine to not like STD. But I think defaulting to hating it just because it is different is a mistake. I mean, there are lots of other non-Trek shows with mean characters that I like, and I bet you do too!

I'm not sure I'd say I like STD, but I felt like it was improving over the course of its run. I think the show will probably continue to get better when it resumes, and so little of it has aired at this point that I think it's too early to draw conclusions.

She apologized for it later, which makes it more Star Trek than you give it credit for.

Not him I'm just saying it happens.

First, I get a response about STD has to be about shitty people because it's a prequel...That's dead wrong in the timeline if the timeline has any meaning whatsoever in canon.

Then I get a response about McCoy and Spock ripping into each other, which again is an exaggeration and severe misinterpretation of their function as characters and their actual demeanor on screen.

This isn't about disagreement, this is about people saying things that are so blatantly incorrect as to be surprising.

The only thing that has made sense at all is the statement made in "when is Tilly an asshole?" And you're absolutely right...she's the only character in that series who isn't an asshole, but she's insufferably spilling her spaghetti every fucking scene, worse than Lt. Broccoli and far less endearing. I will happily concede that...

Sorry, my bad.

Tilly is one of the only characters who feels like "Star Trek" to me, even though she's not really like any previously established characters (other than Barclay I guess). Stamets is probably the character who acts the most like a typical Star Trek character, but now he's gonna turn into a space wizard or something, so who knows.

How come humans basically run the federation and we never even see the two aliens at the bottom?

>she's the only character in that series who isn't an asshole
When is the medical officer an asshole?

The Doctor is barely a character, he’s just Stamets’ bum buddy

they are just the face of the federation. Vulcans pull the strings from behind the scenes while the humans die in starfleet service "exploring". It's only logical.