/advanced/

Thread for those who've been watching cinema seriously for 5+ years and have advanced past capeshit, mainstream movies and the same old flicks.

Don't be offended, this is not meant to be pretentious, its just some of us have moved past IMDb-core, indie flicks and the latest hyped blockbuster and have more developed tastes. Do not troll or derail the thread with off-topic discussion.

Previous thread: What good films have you been enjoying lately?

I watched The Seventh Seal today and I must say, I was blown away. A revolutionary work of art and a well-deserved award winner.

Other urls found in this thread:

letterboxd.com/smoothhands/list/oleksander-dovzhenko-ranked/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

How do we expose this hack?

Are these advanced ?

check'd
did you just watch that overrated art-house film today and now think your some sort of >/advanced/ shitposter?
>not to be pretentious.
love you user

I watched El Ángel Exterminador today and I must say, I was blown away. A revolutionary work of art and a well-deserved award winner.

>like what? The only two I can think of that are really old are Limite and l'Atalante
Griffith had already, in the over four hundred movies he had made — from the one-reelers on up to THE BIRTH OF A NATION — founded the art of screen narrative; now he wanted to try something more than simply telling the story of bigotry in historical sequence. He had developed discontinuity and crosscutting in his earlier works, and in INTOLERANCE, he attempted to tell four stories taking place in different historical periods, crosscutting back and forth to ancient Babylon, sixteenth-century France, the modern American slums, and Calvary. He was living in an era of experiments with time in the other arts, and although he worked in a popular medium, the old dramatic concepts of time and unity seemed too limiting; in his own way he attempted what Pound and Eliot, Proust and Virginia Woolf and Joyce were also attempting, and what he did in movies influenced literary form as much as they did. INTOLERANCE is a film symphony. No simple framework could contain the richness of what Griffith tried to do in this movie.

>I was blown away
>art
Shut up, slave.

What are the greatest films from Quebec?

Don't be offended, this is not meant to be pretentious, its just some of us have moved past IMDb-core

I just watched Valley of the Bees. Loved it

I just watched Valley of Abraham. Loved it.

Todd Solondz will be remembered as one of the great American filmmakers 20 years from now, alongside Jim Jarmusch and Terrence Malick.

I just watched Valley of the Gwangi. Loved it.

Is this from bill and teds bogus adventure? I loved that one

haha epic

these threads are satire , correct?

Serious question, why do people hate that other people want to talk about these sorts of movies? What is there to gain from doing this?

the people in the threads being giant faggots aren't helping your case

Anything by Claude Jutra

yup, having a dog licking up some cum pouring down a wall is literally (((american))) cinéma in its purest form, you're so /advanced/ my friend

>Is your pussy all wet? Nyeegghh

Yeah dude what transcendent dialogue.

He may inhabit a Linklater/Woody Allen kind of niche but compared to Malick or Jarmusch he's an amateur

I masturbated 6 times today

Thoughts in loveless? Deserved the palm over beguiled imo

I watched Leviathan (2014) the other day.

It's shit.

》starts off with a pic of the seventh meme
Lmao kys

Opinions on Woody Allen?

I think his comedies are fun and well written, but seeing the progression from, say, Sleeper, to Interriors or Crimes and Misdemeanours is phenomenal.

Granted sometimes he wears his influences a little too proudly on his sleeve (Stardust Memories (although I still really enjoy it)), but I find his dramas really fascinating. Especially Husbands and Wives; to know that the scandal was happening while they were filming, seeing Allen and Farrow go at eat each other, captured by this beautiful, erratic camera. I never would have imagined him making such a raw and thoughtful film. It’s incredibly nihilistic, even compared to his usual work.

Similarly, with Shadows and Fog, I worried that him doing an ode to German expressionism would come off very hokey and imitative. But he managed to craft this compelling story and dreamlike atmosphere, drenched in fog. And there’s something magical about that last scene, with the magician.

explicitly anti-cinematic cinema

I loved lady Bird!!!!! It really made me appreciate women!!!!!!!

Wiener Dog was under rated kino, also a big fan of Happiness.

Force Majeure was great. It's nice so there are still directors out there who aren't afraid of making movies with conservative, traditionalist messages.

Can't wait to see The Square.

dude it's just a comedy movie lol

Been looking to have an in depth discussion about this film for a while. It's one of my top 10 favorites, but no one has seen it and it's too intense for most people. What's /advanced/ thoughts on it?

Just because he uses overtly and absurdly sexual subject manner doesn't mean it's not kino when he does it, though I agree he's amateur when compared to Malick or Jarmusch.

Define anti-cinematic

Fellas, when will there be a /film/?

I've seen it way too long ago, probably going to download it again now.
At the time I was in very sociopathic phase and I was making plans with a girl to go off the rail if we ended up failing being normal. She told me to watch it.

Currently watching Barry Lyndon on a theater, is this /advanced/

There won't
No
Kys

Nice, a year ago I watched Barry Lyndon on movie screen also. Saw 2001 in a movie theatre as well.

just go to 8ch

Hey Barry Lyndon is great

How advanced do you have to be?

From 15-21 I watched around ~15 movies a week.

Everything and anything, and also consumed countless film books, both history, review and technical.

My favorite movie is The Karate Kid though.

Hey @/advanced/
what do you think of my rankings of Dovzhenko's kinos
letterboxd.com/smoothhands/list/oleksander-dovzhenko-ranked/

Yeah man it's great, I have a huge Blu Ray collection I want to get around watching

Noted, what's really kept me from going to 8ch generally is that I don't know the culture and memes well. Also it's annoying to go through a newfag process again. But whatever, it's worth it seeing the state of things here.

How the FUCK do I find good Criterion Collection torrents? I don't know how to join the private tracker clubs.

>he doesn’t exclusively watch kino
Stay pleb

I also saw it in a much darker phase of mine, though I re watched it recently and still loved it. It sort of played out like a darker Taxi Driver.

What are your favorite movies of the year?

Edgy4edgy sake.

>advanced
>I watched The Seventh Seal today
What the fuck

Good Time
Columbus
The Handmaiden
Personal Shopper
Raw
I Dream In Another Language

t. plebian who is not /advanced/

Embarrassing

Good Time
The Killing of a Sacred Deer
Novitiate
The Florida Project
BR2049
Dunkirk

I know /advanced/ is gonna get on my ass for the last two due to them being commercial films, but they were kino none the less.

>I Dream In Another Language
Looks cool, is it online?

I saw it on Amazon Prime. They uploaded a ton of films from Sundance earlier this year and it was one of them. Marjorie Prime was decent too but I haven't gotten around to watching the others.

>>>>advanced
>full of entry level schlock
Lmao

Y'all could contribute some recommendations instead of just shitposting ad hominem.

Doesn't look like anybody ripped it and uploaded it to any private trackers sadly.

1/3

Why not just kys instead

Post yours pleb.

2/3

Film Noir Essentials.

Murder By Contract
99 River Street
M
Pickup on South Strett
Where The Sidewalk Ends
Criss Cross
The Prowler
The Sniper
The Big Heat
The Big Knife
The Big Sleep
Dark Passage
Dead Reckoning
Body and Soul
Sunset Boulevard
Double Indemnity
Scarlet Street
The Manchurian Candidate (idiots will say its not noir)
The Woman in The Window
Cat People
City of Fear
The Lineup
Kiss Me Deadly
My Gun Is Quick
The Asphalt Jungle
The Killers
Underworld USA
Side Street
Naked Alibi
The Lost Weekend
The Big Clock
The Hustler (noir elements but not strictly noir)
Secret Beyond The Door
Walk East On Beacon
Panic In The Streets
Witness To Murder

Thats all of the ones off the top of my head

The Bye Bye Man
Fifty Shades Darker
Sandy Wexler
Unforgettable
The Dark Tower
The Emoji Movie
The Snowman
The Mummy

3/3 is Eros + Massacre, cant find decent poster quality

Just find them on rutracker

Most films seemed to be about negroes and broads this year, so I skipped.

Got to love how even the rare non-capeshit, non-star wars threads have to be filled with shitposts by some tard.

watched The Geisha Boy to continue the jerry lewis tribute at the dore here - even better than the last one! great flick! i am 300% biased because it's set in japan, but it was some darn good fun. much less over-the-top than most jerry movies, but a 300% better movie overall than most of them..

>can't be advanced because I'm catching up to classics and essentials
I recently loved World On A Wire.

>Nothing but gookshit
Watch real iran-kino fucking weaboos

If you're gonna act big about Kiarostami then atleast don't post entry level

>much less over-the-top than most jerry movies, but a 300% better movie overall than most of them
brainlet

shitskins can't make cinema

>shitskins can't make anything of significant value
ftfy

>watch middle eastern propaganda, liberal award shows that praise it can't possibly be biased towards middle east because of their white guilt
Must be tough not having your own opinion

yes

Copie conforme and like someone in love were shit
I beg to differ

uhhhhh

But that's not The Marriage of the Blessed

>pajeet garbage
what did they do formally new? physically shit on the lens?

Rec some good horrors.

there aren't any, kill yourself.

horror is a craft not an art same as comedy. Shouldnt be discussed here

rosemary's baby (original)

who that nekid girl

Was gonna look for this next, though I think it might be harder to get the subs for it. I enjoyed the director's version of Ten Little Indians, usually only heretical book adaptations really work but a lot of Eastern European productions manage to do more direct ones well (at least with these detective stories).

Cat People (1942)

What movie is the 3rd row 3rd pic?
That shot looks great

Same to you my "white" friend
Jude suss
Dear ewige jude
Nosferatu
Eyes without a face
Fearless vampire hunters
Posession

wow amazing they all look like peak soyboy films

>if its slow paced its /advanced/