How come a throwaway tertiary antagonist like admiral piett is infinitely more complex, sympathetic...

How come a throwaway tertiary antagonist like admiral piett is infinitely more complex, sympathetic, and memorable than any character in the sequels?

youtube.com/watch?v=YJ3v8IMe2ok

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/AyfGO9edJoA
youtube.com/watch?v=5tSa3xLVYgM
youtube.com/watch?v=vnUh898Q8kk
youtube.com/watch?v=9JLOcquqyJI
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Are all of you autists watching the OT to feel better after seeing TLJ? Fucking hell.

because he's a real actor doing a real job in a movie made by real people.

not some cgi bullshit made by children

>Captain Piett deliberately mentions Hoth while Vaders on the bridge

He was so devilish and handsome

cheeky

Because he can act
If you wanna see him in something else really great watch Pennies from Heaven by Dennis Potter where he plays a weird hobo

Thanks for the recommendation user, I really enjoy this actor.

most of us are enjoying the fact that the new star wars movies are absolute shite m8
unlimited fun and memes at the expense of the new movie
thank you disney for resurrecting the board!!

He's not, you've just watched that movie countless times over the years, and have attached a bunch of bullshit to him because he's familiar. Get that nostalgia bullshit out of here, before I ram my fist up your asshole.

this isn't true though. in fact its the opposite.

we've seen the movie countless times BECAUSE its good. The actors and little details like Piett's complex character are what make the movie compelling and give it rewatch value.

It's not just nostalgia, except for normies.

people can sympathize with a guy that tries to do his duty
in his short interactions with Vader you can see his fear, relief, pride
I also think it's obvious that he has some kind of reservations about Vader especially when he executes other officers
he's got a tired face so that kind of leaves you wondering what sort of career he's had
compare this with that purple-haired admiral in the new movie; she looks so clean and graceful and out of place

INTENSIFY FORWARD FIREPOWER

AND they managed to have two other Admirals in the movie too, while FA/TLJ can barely figure out what to do with just one other than scream like a babby and get his mother insulted

TOO LATE

It's helped by the fact that the actor likely would have seen military service; most men in Britain of a certain age would have had to undergo National Service and been in the Armed Forces; this adds an extra depth to the actors' portrayal of military situations.

>ship the size of a super star destroyer
>doesn't have a secondary bridge that can override all control functions

Why?

IIRC the gravitational field of the Death Star pulled it in before the secondary bridge could regain control.

That makes no sense. That would mean that there has to be a human making manual course corrections every single time they're in orbit around a planet. There's seriously no auto pilot that takes over and has the ship maintain position when a loss of control is detected?

saved

quality old meme i cry every time

in the first ones they didn't tell them to act like crazy retards instead of normal officers caught up in something they can't control

All these ass blasted crybabies make me want to keep giving Disney money so they continue shitting out Star Wars and you retards finally off yourselves

Some of these are deleted scenes, at least I think they are.

what is source 4?

>before I ram my fist up your asshole
get in line behind JJ Abrams and that guy who thinks he can spell his name "Rian" and not look like a powerbottom

lol

>complex
>"Yes, m'lord" over and over
I like the OT but c'mon.

>t. faceblind

And anyway even if that were true his character and his interactions with the other officers are a good means of exposition for Darth Vader and the Empire in general. It definitely contributes to the film, and it's a good example of the simple kind of tricks borrowed from theater that the OT uses but the sequels and even the prequels shy away from to some extent. Not saying that's good or bad, but some people may prefer that style over others.

it's a space fantasy movie for children you fucking autist

Meme magic is real

Pay attention to his reactions to Vader and how they change over time. The discomfort of being promoted upon the murder of the last admiral. His excitement when they finally found the rebels coming into endor and his pride at receiving orders from the emperor himself.

Mary Sue and her open mouth wide eyes in basically every scene is not acting
Fin over acts
And everyone is in agreement that fat china woman looks like she might have taken an drama/improv class maybe once in her fucking life.

How can Marvel Wars compare?

youtu.be/AyfGO9edJoA

>Bounty hunters? We don't need their scum.

A nice bit of characterization. As a professional military officer he naturally disproves of hiring a bunch of contractors.

Based as hell. They used to hire Shakespearian actors with actual acting chops to play these guys.
His actor said in interview once he wanted him to go beyond a cipher. He has like 2-3 minutes of screentime in entire trilogy and is more memorable than any nuImperial besides maybe Hux who is a cardboard cutout. He should have survived the trilogy honestly.

He's good in I Remember Nelson as well but his standout for me is in The Music Lovers. Ken Russell put him in quite a few of his films.

Every single Imperial officer is more complex and memorable than anyone from nuStarWars

>she looks so clean and graceful and out of place
the costume and makeup design was so fucked for her. laura dern could've pulled off some kinda older daala character too, its a shame

Christ, I will never not love the uniform aesthetics.

I love Piett

he's like a real professionalist unfortunately working for evil people like a scientist working for Monsanto or Apple

Krennic was pretty good.

But he's literally the only imperial character worth shit in the new films.

Stupid destruction of Executor is still better than any moments from nuStarWars

Why didn't they just go lightspeed and rip the Star Destroyer in half?

Wow. Looking at those clips in order I kind of feel bad for Piett. He's just trying to get through his work week without being murdered.

'Cause that scene only works if nothing outside that scene exists.

>trying to get through his work week without being murdered.

Every officer executed by Vader fucked up big time. It's not like he was killing people for no reason.

When will people in the sequels understand that throwing a tantrum and shouting does not convey power or command respect.

Theres no one threatening anymore, Snoke might have been decent. But after force connecting Rey and Rens minds from lightyears away and tossing mary sue around the room, the chucklefuck writing team had him die like that?

Whos the antagonist now?
Snoke better be plagus and wind up not being dead or something because we all know what happens every time mary sue and them meet up.

oy vey, this thread is just filled with Sup Forumstards who love the space nazis and side with the space nazis.

piett is A FUCKING WHITE MALE. you are *not* allowed to sympathize with him!!!

*cunty screeching*

that guy was awesome too

TLJ has broken Star Wars.

This

What about Needa?

youtube.com/watch?v=5tSa3xLVYgM

He died for their sins
In a very literal sense

He lost the Millennium Falcon. They knew the hyperdrive wasn't working, so the only way it could have evaded them is if he fucked up somehow.

On a completely different note I find it interesting that he says
>No ship that small has a cloaking device

Wouldn't it make sense that a cloaking device would work more efficiently on a smaller ship?

Iam glad they deleted this retarded scene

youtube.com/watch?v=vnUh898Q8kk

He was a good boss. Imagine a SJW taking that much personal responsibility.

Why have a second bridge when you can just intensify forward fire power? What are you, a poof?

It's pretty impressive how many imperials had the balls to insult Vader to his face or otherwise piss him off.

Yes, keep giving the (((mouse))) your money and stay poor fag. Youre doing everyone else a favor.

Cloaking devices are probably really fucking big and complex, but can project fairly far without much fuss.

coming through with the superior admiral

youtube.com/watch?v=9JLOcquqyJI

>tfw the acting in this one scene that wasn't even included is way better then anything any of the first order characters have done
>that look of regret and discomfort perfectly portrayed as the admiral is forced to kill his own men
>tfw the sequals will never have an admiral have a humanising moment like this that adds complexity to the conflict

Whole battle of Endor is horribly writen. Even with Death Start gone Imperial should have massacered rebels fuck even with Super Star Destroyer and 50% gone they should have gotten lopsided victory. 4-6 Star Destroyers have same power are that whole Rebel Fleet in Endor. Star Wars was great setting but they always fucked up making Empire lose always because muh reasons.

Ofc bunch of white normies fighting against SJWs. Thats why they are more memorable than bunch of shitty rebels. Empire was good guys of Star Wars.

This is so fucking stupid like wtf is this shit. I am so happy I did not go to see that shit.

It also helps show the type of people they’re hiring. It makes you ask yourself that If even the Empire don’t like them, how bad are these people?
And that knocks on to giving the plot a sense of urgency; Vader is so obsessed with Skywalker that he’s stooping to this level to find him.

That simple line is more nuanced than anything New wars has to offer

I always thought he just got choked into unconsciousness, since the other guys dragged him off by his shoulders and took care while doing so

You're right. Why would Darth talk to a dead man?

I haven't watched the OT in over ten years and I haven't wasted a second watching these new movies because I'm not a fucking child lmao. And yet I still remember exactly what this guy's role was and what his voice sounds like just from a picture.

Does snoke get any development at all in 8 before he dies? Hes such a minor part of 7 that he could be removed and nothing would be different

no,

not at all

let that sink in

I can name half a dozen major warships that were lost IRL to dumbshit damage control errors, and even more to catastrophic design flaws. Why fantasy ships shall be immune to any of that?

But I'm watching it INSTEAD of seeing TLJ, to laugh at dupes who gave their shekels to Disney.

You're a fucking idiot

>I can name half a dozen major warships that were lost IRL to dumbshit damage control errors

And if you were in charge of designing the next generation of warship, you'd probably remember those ships and think "Yeah lets avoid those mistakes in design this time."

Since it's in the future, you think they would have the benefit of plenty of previous examples to aid them in designing their ships. Especially because the SSD is the size of a fucking city. I mean imagine being the guy that designs the fucking thing - when someone asks him what kind of safety systems are in place to prevent the ship from crashing if the bridge suffers catastrophic damage, is his only response going to be something about intensifying forward firepower?

Definitely should've kept those scenes in.

I mean shit, Jerjerrod questions the fucking Emperor. The guy whose mention by Vader at the start of the film made him piss his pants. But he's concerned enough for the men stationed on the moon that he does it anyway.

Based AF.

What the fuck is a duck though

As you wish m'lord

finn and rey are british, inappropriate usage of the meme. Probs a mutt himself.

Man...its things like this that make me feel like im literally going fucking insane, the level of writing present here and from what i saw in tfa is beyond words, its a blazing red flag as distracting and hard to miss a nuclear detonation, yet somehow these movies are considered 9/10 by critics and everyone ive seen outside of Sup Forums. How does something like this even happen?

Every day it feels more and more like i just witnessed someone get brutally raped and murdered for no reason in broad daylight at a busy street and everyone else who witnessed it is acting normal like nothing happened

Is this how paranoid schizos feel? This sucks man

He has generic expressions to situations. It's great and all but it hardly made him complex.

Veers, Jerjerrod, and Piett.

I always thought Veers was a pretty cool guy.

I had always such hard on for Veers and Piet. Both were my favorite characters in Star Wars. Is it strange that even as kid I always cheered for Empire and liked them much more?

> Is it strange that even as kid I always cheered for Empire and liked them much more?

if your parents were abusive then it's normal

How the fuck is a young adult (not even an admiral, but a general) like Hux allowed to command the entire fleet? There are many better candidates (the guy who tells Hux that Poe is toying with him, Dreadnought commander etc.) In the OT Imperial commanders atleast looked like a real mature leaders.

Naah they were chill and good hearted normies. I just never liked rebels and felt that Empire was much more atractive and better.

>Is it strange that even as kid I always cheered for Empire and liked them much more?

Yeah. You can see them as more efficient/organized/powerful, but they weren't really sympathetic.

Like were you actually hoping they were going to capture and kill a guy like Han Solo, who was charming as fuck?

Never liked Solo, Luke or Leia. Empire Strikes Back was my favorite because Imperials crushed rebels at Hoth. Also RotJ battle of Endor I thought was just stupid even as kid because Empire clearly should have won. Maybe its because I am from Europe. People seem to like Empire much more here its usually burgers who are all about Rebels.

>Maybe its because I am from Europe

Oh Jesus please tell me you're German. It would be too perfect.

I love that his first name is 'Firmus'. May as well call him Boner Piett, or Hardon Piett.

The Empire always seemed better in my eyes. I only rooted for Luke because of the backstory and his relation to other characters.

>Corvette rams Star Destroyer
>small dent and manages to push it
>Star Destroyer rams other Star Destroyer
>falls apart like the are made of wet paper

Uh.. what

>The Empire always seemed better in my eyes

Better in what way? Better for the people Surely I don't need to remind you that the Empire blew up a fucking planet for doing quite literally nothing. Moff Tarkin did it just to fuck with Leia.

Lets put it this way - when one of the most powerful figures in the government unironically says "Fear will keep the local systems in line", then you might want to consider if these guys should be in charge.

Only a Star Destroyer is sharp enough to cut another Star Destroyer.

Sorry not German. Half Finnish half Russian so I am ultimate vodka snow nigger. All my Star Wars legos and toys were ofc Empire when I was kid and always playd Empire in Star Wars games like Force Commander, Rebellion, Galactic Battle Grounds and Empire at War.

>half Russian

and everything is clear now

Oh almost forgot pinacle of Star Wars games Tie Fighter. It was so intense to fly with without shields and shoot shitty x-wings down knowing you get 1-2 hits and you are dead.

Better be feared than loved if you can't be both.