MUH character assassination

The Last Jedi's portrayal of Luke was in sync with his previous portrayals. He almost killed his father because he wanted to save people but stopped at the last second. In this movie he almost kills his Nephew to save people but stops at the last second. There is nothing else to discuss.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=U1MnMA0TzGI
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

i do think that this is one of the weaker criticisms of the movie
it's pretty bad but not because of Luke's story

Correct.

>Almost kills his father, a man responsible for the death of millions, after being taunted by the emperor for hours and then Vader all against the context of his situation seeming utterly without hope
>This is the same as almost killing his nephew in his sleep because he had a bad feeling

Hmm

The problem was more in execution than concept. Ren's turning to the dark side over an isolated incident that was somewhat a misunderstanding is cheap. It makes everyone look stupid.

He doesn't even try to kill Vader he tries to defeat/disarm him which is why he chops his hand off and immediately stops attacking

I mean watch it for yourself
youtube.com/watch?v=U1MnMA0TzGI

Also Luke show some anger in the heat of battle vs a genocidal sith lord where in TLJ he contemplates murdering his nephew in cold blood because he feels dodgy
It is not comparable

OT:
>hes literally being tag teamed up the ass by Palps and Vader
>his friends and whole Rebellion about to die
>sister in danger
>fuck I have no choice

Sequels:
>nephew shleep and I hear scary things. better kill him!

Soyboys are naturally dishonest people, they will continue to tear down the OT like it will make nu Wars any less shiotty

Ren was already turning to the dark side by the time Luke read his mind
did you even watch the movie you fucking retard

>almost kills his father in a fight to protect his family and loved ones after Vader verbally threatened them, still stops and believes he is redeemable
>almost kills his nephew while he's asleep because of things he might do in the future
"No"

I think they could have pulled it off, but they failed. They gave Luke a monologue to explain why he was considering it, that "he would destroy everything I cared about." So we're supposed to believe that conflicted Kylo is more evil and less redeemable than fucking Vader? Bullshit. But you know, they COULD have made the scene work with a cut to Han's death and then him igniting his lightsaber rather than a monologue, but hey, I'm no professional.

you made the same post as me so now I have to change mine, damn it

>slow build up, goading and borderline emotional torture plus whatever Force influence the Emperor was imposing on him
>still ends with him throwing away his lightsaber and renouncing violence

The moment Luke chooses to not kill Vader is the climax of the entire OT. it is absolutely retarded to walk that back.

Leia should have been the catalyst for Kylo's downfall but that would never happen under Kathleen Kennedy.

Yeah the only problem is they didn't give shit for details. Why? What is his motivation?

There isn't any.

I’d like to think Lukes portrayal was mostly saved by Mark. His wink to C3PO was 100% Mark’s idea

Try and remember what it was that Vader said to Luke to provoke him into attacking him and then realise how stupid it is to compare this scene to his character assassination in TLJ. Luke was willing to go into the Emperor's thrown room to fight for Vader's soul, knowing full well that he'd die if he failed. He only engages in the fight because Vader threatens to turn and/or kill Leia if he doesn't confront him. That is why this new portrayal of Luke is such a betrayal of the character. He has always been characterised by his willingness and determination to do anything to save his friend and family. He doesn't even kill Vader for making such a threat, he just disarms him, and then throws his lightsaber away, putting all his faith in the goodness of his father to protect him from the Emperor. The idea that this guy would stand over his own nephew's bed, lightsaber drawn, and contemplate killing him, is obscene.

I like that they're making Ren irredeemable
so sick of redeemable baddies

daddy issues

RotJ Luke was in a war crisis where he was pretty much going to die but still went through with his suicide mission because he still believed the good in his father.

He gave in momentarily, stopped, threw his saber aside, made a speech and then got ZAPPED.

He forgave his father in the end and should have learnt his lesson post-RotJ.

Now, let's go to TLJ shall we? The movie shits on his previously established character development and makes him a scared man who would murder his beloved nephew in his sleep because of a bad feeling.

People are literally just upset that their childhood hero died. Also, they were caught off guard by the fake out and don't understand that Luke went out on his own terms. He said he went to the island to die and he stayed true to that.

>I've seen this raw strength only once before, it didnt scare me enough then, it does now

lol what?
Then why did you contemplate murdering your nephew?
This movie is beyond dumb

Because he saw ben's raw strength before he turned to the dark side you moron

You're totally wrong. People have expressed very clearly what they hated about Luke in this film. Try reading any of the posts in this thread.

Holy shit, didn't even remember that line, I just remembered the
>I can't save him
>I've held out hope for so long but I know my son is gone
>No one's ever really gone
And we're supposed to believe the guy who didn't give up on Vader has given up on the student he failed. Or maybe that someone else can save him or something. I don't know. This is Kylo "Won't shoot my mother, I can feel the light" Ren.

93% on RT.

Let that "sink" in

so... like when ben was sleeping... huh... almonds... activated...

Thats just the tip of the iceberg pal, honestly I would like to agree with you that its just angry neckbeards crying over their Luke toys but the movie is legit bad

If he was scared he would've fucking killed him.
None of this makes any sense.

Did you completely miss the "no one's ever really gone", part, and how Luke doesn't choose to kill Kylo but instead nonviolently confronts him, make a fool out of him, and allow the Resistance to escape?

This. Luke’s story is literally the only part of the movie worth watching even though there are tons of either plot holes or logic flaws.

killing someone in a heated battle and murdering a child in his sleep are two different things

If he wasnt scared he wouldnt have contemplated killing him though

>Did you completely miss the "no one's ever really gone" part
Can I nominate this for dumbest post of the day or something?

Did you miss the part where Kylo asked Luke if he had come back to "fight for his soul" and Luke flippantly replies "No"?

Luke is dead

Long live Luuke

He didn't contemplate killing him. He turned on his lightsaber for a brief moment of "pure instinct". And this is based on him saying that Kylo had already fallen and his darkness was worse than what he had imagined, and he had seen him kill and destroy everything he loves.

>characterised by his willingness and determination to do anything to save his friend and family

Yes. That's why his portrayal in The Last Jedi works. It's because we don't know what he saw when he was with Ben, and if it consisted of things like killing Han and Leia, you don't think Luke would be willing to kill him, even for the briefest of moments? Really?

True. When I think of Luke Skywalker, I think of an old creepy uncle sweating next to his sleeping nephew.

always been a Luuuke-fag myself, hoping for a BgL cameo in Episode IX

And in TLJ he fucking says "I saw him destroying everything that I ever loved", implying he saw Han Solo's death or even Leia's.

I understand that u glorified him when you were 4 years old, but it's time to grow up bro.

Let it go, let the past die. Kill it if you have to.

>fanboys doing all kinds of mental gymnastics to defend this movie at all costs

Lol

>Let it go, let the past die. Kill it if you have to

Literally a fucking Didney meme you sad corporate cucks ate up.

>He didn't contemplate killing him. He turned on his lightsaber for a brief moment of "pure instinct".
>He didn't contemplate killing him
>He turned on his lightsaber

LMAO. The lengths people will go to defend this shit.

So he refuses to kill Vader, even though he was responsible for millions of deaths by that point, but he's contemplating killing Kylo over potential darkness he sense in him. And then when he scares Kylo away with his creepy lightsaber antics, he refuses to go after him. Instead fucking off to some island.. letting Han die. I hope you're a shill because no one can be this retarded.

>Always in motion is the future
>I can't kill my father
>I'll never turn to the dark side

>he didn't contemplate killing him
>he just stood over his bed with a deadly weapon and activated it

>Kylo had already fallen
>sees Mein Kampf under his pillow after he redeemed literal space Hitler

>if it consisted of things like killing Han and Leia
>Luke didn't know Han died or anticipate it at the beginning of the film

>"I saw him destroying everything that I ever loved"
>also I failed him better not chase after him to save those things I love or stop him in any way lmao
my neurons... they're... firing... huh... really... forces me to... contemplate...

I enjoy typing short replies that waste their time, it's great

Not like guy fawkes masks and Sup Forums, amirite?

btw, vote Trump

>He turned on his lightsaber for a brief moment of "pure instinct"

Do you even know what "instinct" fucking means you brainlet?

You only turn on a lightsaber with the intent of defending yourself or killing someone. Kylo was asleep so ergo an instinct to kill him.

I take it that mouse dick tastes good, huh?

>He didn't contemplate killing him.
Jesus fucking christ you shills are pathetic

How is Luke turning the lightsaber on Ben and then realizing how wrong it was different than him being about to strike down Vader for good before realizing that he's his father and that's just wrong?

Maybe read the thread instead of trying to waste my time.

I would have turned him evil at the end just for shits and giggles. Also Hamill can play a good villain.

I don't even know who you are and no I won't read this shitty thread.

Shitty thread because your retarded ilk are btfo

Because Luke attacked Vade after refusing to fight him for a while and only did so because his friends were getting killed, Sheev wouldn't shut up and Vader threatened his sister. And he didn't refuse to kill him because he was his father, he refused to do it because he realized he would turn into another Vader.
So yeah, excuse me if I think that having the guy who refused to end up like his youngling-murderer father consider murdering a youngling is fucking stupid.

>btw, vote Trump
come on man trump doesn't have to be part of a star wars discussion too

Why the fuck did they make Luke go out the way he did? Jesus Christ, if he died physically on the planet then that would've been better. I'm just fucking mad.

Imagine all the chaos and suffering the galaxy experienced under the empire. A whole planet being blown up.

Now imagine that Luke has a vision of Kylo doing all kinds of horrible shit, seeing several planets being destroyed, all the jedi slain. Billions of lives snuffed out. 10x worse than the shit happening before. Maybe he even saw everyone he cared about die in this vision. There he stands, with the option to erase that evil in just one instant. Saving so many lives. Sure, maybe a bit out of character for jedi master Luke, but is it really so far-fetched?

They don't go into detail about what evil he saw so I guess this is just a bit of headcanon to make it work.

But you're literally arguing without knowing what went through his head when he saw Ben there.
He said how he saw something that terrified him but didn't enter into details. To the viewer that's never expanded upon and you're just watching him look at Ben over his head (to make the later more empathetic, basic stuff). But maybe in those few instants he was seeing in his head how Ben murdered his fathers, how he destroyed the Resistance and burned the whole galaxy by instauring a more cruel version of the Empire. Maybe he saw him becoming an even more evil version of Palpatine, bringing suffering and death to everyone around him. And that's why he activated his lightsaber on instinct, but afterwards realized how wrong that was.
And that's why he lost the faith in the Jedi order and temple, because a true Jedi autist would've sperged out and killed the dark side without hesitation, but he just couldn't, so he entered a crisis of faith. (because no amount of EU gray jedi bullshit will change the fact that he's a Jedi knight).

Here's your (((you))) shill.

>because he had a bad feeling
Bruh

And then he fucked off to live as a hermit and let his own mistake bring suffeing to the galaxy. How heroic.
Not to mention that Luke already got over the "you must kill Dark Siders" bullshit when he refused Obi-Wan and Yoda's claims that Vader should be killed.

>turned on his lightsaber
That's literally what Luke says you mongoloid. The connotation of contemplating implies
a longer period of thought, not a brief impulse or urge.

>he just stood over his bed with a deadly weapon and activated it
see above.

>sees Mein Kampf under his pillow after he redeemed literal space Hitler
what is false equivalency

>Luke didn't know Han died or anticipate it
I'll give you that one.

>also I failed him better not chase after him to save those things I love or stop him in any way lmao

I'll give you that one, but it's clear from his monologue about training that he thought he could him impart his wisdom as a jedi and avert Ren from the dark side, and it's quite possible that he is implying that his intervention just makes things worse, hence why he wants to end the jedi order.

>When a character needs to constantly re-tread the same ordeal without ever learning anything from it or growing as a person
So this is the Liberals "progressive"

I know it's all just bait but this thread makes me fucking mad as hell. Luke's arch in the OT is the purest form of a hero's journey there is. Even if you just make light of it to shitpost and bait people you should be ashamed. And in case there are retards who actually don't see why TLJ was a kick in the balls to anyone who cares about Star Wars or movies in general I advice you to either watch the OT again or just killing yourself immediately you fucking soyboy faggots.

Walk into you sisters room wielding a machete with the intent to kill and then when she runs off to tell the cops let them know about you 'instincts' lmao

>And then he fucked off to live as a hermit and let his own mistake bring suffeing to the galaxy. How heroic.
Oh you mean like Obi-Wan and Yoda did?

#NOTMYLUKE

I'm quoting the film, calling me a brainlet for citing actual dialogue from the film is textbook brainlet activity. I get that it seems like I'm being pedantic but contemplation implies a long period of deliberation. That's not the same as standing over his bed ruminating it for minutes like these posters are making it seem. It's a blatant misrepresentation of the actual film.

>He almost killed his father because he wanted to save people but stopped at the last second.
>20 years ago

Yeah, it's called character progression and he didn't attack Vader but the Emperor first (the source of the problem), Vader was just defending him while Luke gave in momentarily to the manipulation.

Explain what would cause Luke to abandon his sister and the rest of the galaxy for decades, disney shill.

It wasn't a mistake. The decision to bring back Luke and Han and destroy their characters was clearly deliberate.

The meme replies keep on coming. That has nothing to do with my original post, I'm making a distinction between contemplation and a quick momentary act. You're only incredulous because you hate the film. This is not rocket science. Luke says pure instinct in the film, but you wouldn't know that unless you actually bothered to watch the fucking film.

You Soy Wars shill who keep referencing this scene, did you even watch it? Luke turns off his saber several times in the fight and tries to defuse the fight, and he never tries to kill Vader. He broke his guard and even though he had a clear shot at him he chopped off his arm instead, then stopped.

Fucking shills, I hope you all get malaria.

Explain

Oh so standing over a guy sleeping and activating a light saber isn't contemplating killing someone. Boy you guys are earning every rupee defending this piece of shit

Vader directly threatens Leia before Luke finally starts fighting him seriously, jewshill.
Kylo was just a teen in bed, probably busy wacking his wicket before Luke came in.
Now get your low IQ ratbrain out of here.

They at least had the excuse that the emperor was killing all the Jedi they could find and if all the Jedi died there'd be no one to train. Luke doesn't really have that excuse

There he is young Skywalker, your father, he's the guy sleeping on that bed, take up your lightsaber and strike him down while he sleeps! Then your journey to the dark side will be complete.

he was engaged in mortal combat against Vader. it wasn't like he sneak up on him sleeping.

>The "pure instinct" to kill his nephew in his sleep is completely in character for our pacifist Ghandi like movie character

Agreed. I can't remember the last time I hated a film this much. I watched The Room and Birdemic and found those better. Star Wars is the Christian-equivalent to a lot of people in an age where religion is on the decline. To shit on Luke is the equivalent of shitting on Christ in medieval times. I want people to burn over this shit.

You'd think Luke would decide to be different ya know, since he's so different from Yoda and Obi-Wan, but I guess we need pottery.

con·tem·plate
ˈkän(t)əmˌplāt/
think profoundly and at length; meditate.

Luke did not think about it at length, he turned on his lightsaber briefly before feeling guilty about it and at that point it is too late. The encounter was like ten seconds at most. Yep. That's some heavy introspection and contemplation there.

>Luke doesn't really have that excuse
Really? Because I seem to recall Snoke torturing Rey so she gives out Luke's place of hiding so they can go and kill him.

Naysayers just wanted Luke to be a perfect Super Saiyan God that defeats the entire First Order with his lightsaber. Instead they got a good character.

>pacifist Ghandi like movie character

When is Luke ever portrayed this way? He's frequently depicted as brash and reckless in the OT and nearly beats the fuck out of Vader because he wants to save Leia. It's not implausible that he would turn his lightsaber on after seeing visions of things he cares about being destroyed. If anything, that's an improvement for his character.

They were betting everything on Luke, not just running away.

>see you around kid
Was luke also an anime character in ROTJ?

>walks over a guy sleeping
>pulls lethal weapon and looks at him
>n-not contemplating anything because the scene is s-short
This is how stupid you are, don't you feel bad about yourself?

>says "I won't fight you" and hides several times during the fight with Vader
You should remember that scene if you've seen ROTJ more than twice. Fuck off shill, you're not a fan of Star Wars.

By RotJ he is way past that and people already explained why the attacking Vader scene doesn't go against this.
Luke literally saved the galaxy by refusing to use violence and believing in Vader's inner goodness.

Luke already learnt in episode 5 that the force premonitions aren't atually what is going to happen. They just turned Luke into angsty prequel Anakin for TLJ and that is plain stupid.

The Last Jedi was very clearly inspired by anime and the Jedi were portrayed to be like samurai. Kylo Ren and Rey even hold their sabers in reverse grip.

If I'm stupid for understanding a word you must be borderline retarded

It was still an absolutely retarded line that made no sense for the character. It was literally just there to get a laugh out of the audience. There were tons of lines like these.

Luke, the younglings! Kill the younglings, Luke!

Ok you autist shill, he was CONSIDERING killing his own fucking nephew which contradicts everything Luke Skywalker represents as a character. Now what

He was literally just saying he'd see him around though. He said he'd always be with him. He's gonna show up as a force ghost in the next one.

>shit character
>good

I'll give you that, I haven't seen the film in a while. That would make more sense. But the whole conflict is that Luke wants to save what he loves and he's torn between two things - Leia and his father. And when Leia's mocked in the battle and her life is put at stake, he gets impulsive and beats the fuck out of Vader to protect what he loves. He does the same thing with Ben. It's perfectly in character. Luke is impulsive.

It was a smug as fuck one liner. If he just said "see you around" it might've been okay, but "see you around, kid" is just a dumb one liner.

>Imagine all the chaos and suffering the galaxy experienced under the empire.
I honestly can't imagine it. We never saw jack shit about what the evil Empire did. We are told they destroyed a city because there was a terroris- I mean a rebel there. I don't know why I should feel bad for it.
Imagine all the chaos the rebel army caused instead of just bending in to the fucking republic's will for Palpatine to rule the galaxy.

>contradicts everything Luke Skywalker represents as a character
see

By RotJ he is way past that and people already explained why the attacking Vader scene doesn't go against this.
Luke literally saved the galaxy by refusing to use violence and believing in Vader's inner goodness.

Luke isn't fucking impulsive, the whole point lf his character development through the OT is to make him go from this whiny and cocky kid to a proper Jedi Master.
Attacking Vader is his final temptation and he overcomes it by refusing to murder Vader and proving he is a true Jedi. Even Sheev realizes that by that point Luke is beyond his ability to corrupt and tries to murder him instead. TLJ literally shat on his character development and turned him back into the brat he was at the beginning of ANH.
And for the millionth time, the circumstances of Luke attacking Vader and Luke considering murdering Kylo are way different.

True, he should know better than to give in. Is one moment of hesitation that bad though? He did regret his action instantly. It goes to show that even the greatest of jedis can have their flaws and are fighting the temptation of the dark side.

Well this is from Luke's point of view which doesn't need to be as objective and critical as an outaide observer's. He lost his aunt and uncle, Obi-wan and probably countless of comrades.

>Luke is impulsive so it's ok that he would consider killing his nephew in his sleep
You know what, I'm not saying you're retarded anymore. Maybe you're right and it's the movie that is retarded beyond the limits of imagination