youtube.com/watch?v=2UDeZ-H8QOU
youtube.com/watch?v=P8zPh8kAcAU
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

>people are calling Rey mary sue
>while this guy does this shit

Hmm...

No thats fiction

this.

Imagine hating a movie so much you become an expert on fictional military spaceships and general space battles

K-KANSEI DORIFTO?

drift 'em if you got 'em

*inhales*

Fighters in SW never controlled like objects in space, but like airplanes in the sky. For him to simply 180 his ship without that sliding maneuver would be impossible with the flying mechanics we've seen thus far. Really a nice touch by the director.

KAN KAN KAN KAN KACHI DAZE!

Imagine being such a shit director you have to rip off not only from better movies of the saga but also Fast and Furious.

It would've been better if he just dived in, let the fighters go forward, and then shot them. Would've been in line with Star Wars and not be cringeworthy space drifting.

> falling back was created in F&F

Someone didnt watch RoTJ

Why not tell the droid to hyperspace into the big spaceship and kill everybody?

Oh, sorry I wasn't something you've seen before.

>they make a pilot better than anakin
>without the use of the force
this is some fucking bullshit and it triggers me

>Luke, did I ever tell you about Fast Paulwalker? He was the best drag racer on the strip, and he was a good friend. And I'll tell you all about it when I see you again.

Stop

Wedge Antilles is a better pilot than Anakin, Luke, and Obi-Wan, and doesn't need any assistance from the force.

Why are they using such non hyperspace ramming redundant weapons systems to do battle?

its a maneuver done by a pilot in ww1

>bombs
>in space

He is supposed to be a very experienced pilot. It's not like he's some random kid with no experience that some how managed to do that.

X-wings shouldn't move like that...

Fucking FA-off faggots thinking they're hot shit.

Why didn't he just hyper space ram the big ship?

That kamikaze by Capitan Tumblr ruined space battles in star wars. Why isn't every weapon used in space just an unmanned missle or craft hurled at the enemy ship at light speed?

that was cool as hell though

that ship needs to have some really, and i mean REALLY, powerful directional thrusters to pull off this neat little trick :-)

>ww1
>outer space
work on your analogies please, and don't use "space wizards" in your next attempt please

Nah you're just sexist.

Neither they have a turbo boost between the 4 engines and his X-Wing has one...

single handedly fucks up dreadnought. yeahh no.

GONNA GET YOU
I'M A SPACE BOY
TAKE A CHANCE WITH ME BABY

This movie is a big example of how establishing shots are important. It really felt just like it was about 15 resistance against 15 imperials - super low stakes. Also they've established again and again that boarding parties are a thing - when the "smaller and more nimble" space craft was "out of range" (of lasers in space?), why is the immediate plan not to scramble your legions of even smaller and more nimble space craft to go destroy it? The whole scenario was flawed and poorly paced.

WOAAAHHH EPICC!!!!

>why is the immediate plan not to scramble your legions of even smaller and more nimble space craft to go destroy it?

Because they had like a million Tie Fighters and 20 Star Destroyers waiting for them to be in range?

> (of lasers in space?)

Those are not lasers, are Railguns.

Why would you use slow "bombers" in space when it would be easier to just use rockets?

>waiting for them to be in range
For 18 hours? Surely the tie fighters could have swarmed it the moment they started to run away

>railguns
correct me if im wrong and SW universe is using another kind of railguns, but the ones the military is testing right now shoot a (i think tungsten?) projectile at an extremely fast speed, which in space would mean essentially infinite range until it hits something?

dorifutooooooooooo

I dunno. I kinda like that Po is just a fucking ridiculously untouchable pilot. It's his one thing. I feel like they should make him absolutely mediocre to terrible at everything else though. Terrible personal intuition, no charm and useless in a fistfight, but capable of taking down a battlecruiser by himself. I mean, he's gotta be an amazing pilot, the bastard put a custom paintjob on his X-Wing, which is basically like putting a target on his ass for the whole first order to see.

There's no defending it - not even just "Hurr, scifi science isn't correct", but it violates previously established in-universe logic

Falcon with Han and Luke operating the guns could barely defeat 4 Tie Fighters. Luke was fucked with one Tie on his ass and needed Wedge to save him.

This fag destroys dozens and soloes a star dreadnought.

Fuck those movies. Fuck Disney.

>maneuver

It's just a fucking sharp turn.

This. Everyone in this movie felt impervious due to plot armor. There were no stakes

>physics in Star Wars was always wrong, so this is wrong for actually being more correct
It's like none of you underage faggots have ever played Asteroids. Maneuvers similar to what Po did would be quite possible in a space dogfight.

>which in space would mean essentially infinite range until it hits something?

Range is not what matters, is the temperature of the projectile. If you are far enought the temperature will decrease enought to not harm the shields.

> Surely the tie fighters could have swarmed it the moment they started to run away

Tie fighters can't go very far away of the capital ship as they lack any kind of defensive shields, hyperdrive or combustible.

youtube.com/watch?v=2UDeZ-H8QOU

DEJA VU

well whats the projectile made out of? and why wouldnt they specifically design or use material so that it wouldnt suffer from the one limitation it has in a vacuum?

youtube.com/watch?v=P8zPh8kAcAU

actual airplanes can do some pretty amazing shit.
Without gravity this seems like a pretty easy maneuver to pull off.

In Asteroids you can spin to any direction without changing your velocity vector. In Star Wars you cannot because your plane is passing through air. The two are nothing alike.

actually, in space that would be that much harder since your wings are useless and you cant rely on air to help you maneuver, youd have to have thrusters on the sides and front to slow you down and then direct you to your desirable position

>Without gravity this seems like a pretty easy maneuver to pull off.
no air no gravity its scientifically impossible to make that turn
plus x-wings only have thrusters on the back so how the hell it can make a such a tight turn

>In Star Wars you cannot because your plane is passing through air
>plane
>air
>in space
Just wanted to confirm that you were retarded, thanks.

Single handedly fucks up the attack on dreadnought, killing dozens of pilots and loosing all the bombers

>people arguing about star wars physics

>hurrdurr spaceships dont have 6 degrees of motion

>all the fucking armchair physicists in this thread
Sometimes I need reassurance that literally every poster on Sup Forums is underage, a retard or a NEET with no actual grasp of anything even remotely relevant to the real world. So thanks for that.

if they only have thrusters on the back then how do they make a turn? wouldnt they literally be only able to move forward?

I was actually okay with this. Poe was probably the one good thing in this movie.

>no air no gravity its scientifically impossible to make that turn
>implying air makes that turn possible
>at all
>implying there isn't still mass which is all that matters for such a maneuver
>implying that the X-wing could even turn if all it had were thrusters on the back
If X-wings are as nimble in space as they're shown to be, even in the original trilogy, they must have someway of creating lateral thrust, and as long as that's possible, than the maneuver in the OP would be, or at least something similar.

A stall/freefall is not nearly the same thing as a lateral, aerial powerslide.

>actually, in space that would be that much harder since your wings are useless and you cant rely on air to help you maneuver
>he thinks air would help your plane just randomly spin itself around
>and also thinks the absence of air would somehow hinder that
You're a big, big idiot, please never procreate.

>I'll try spinning myself around them. It's a good trick

>This can't be real.
Oh but it is.

top zozzle

how do you think planes make turns? they have flaps on the wings and in the back to glide in their desired direction

This ironically would have been better and also hilarious.

>no air no gravity its scientifically impossible to make that turn
>no punctuation, wrong form of "it's", coupled with absurdly false statement that shows near-universal ignorance from the poster
Every time.

I'm in your face

>they have flaps on the wings and in the back to glide in their desired direction
You need air for that you stupid piece of shit.

thats my point you brainlet, no air in space, wings ineffective, you need directional thrusters to make any maneuvers whatsoever

i don't know why that user said that but the mechanics as it was in the OT was exactly ww2 propeller plane manoeuvres only so its losing something to change that. maybe gaining something also - you'd have to ask a boy 7-12 if this one movie's action is badass

I'd already confirmed you don't know shit about Star Wars, but thanks for the reminder.

They're not lasers OR railguns

They're firing gas that has been ionized into plasma.

Lukas expent the whole recording of epIV saying "railguns" till somehow decided to call them blasters.

That's actually normal in the RotS novelization ( the space battle opening ) by Anakin/Obiwan

I've seen ESB close to a million times but I still don't understand this scene.
>Oh shit it's Vader! How did he get here?
>Oh wait, he died like a bitch
>*helmet blows up*
>Is that Luke? Did he just kill his twin brother?
And then Yoda just shakes his head and they pretend like it never happened.

W T F

That's nice, but the canon answer really is that the blasters are firing gas that's been turned into superhot plasma.

That's what they're mining on Bespin: blaster gas.

>novelization

Who the fuck cares?

So there's air in Star Wars space? Seriously?

You're confusing yourself. You totally lack any knowledge of how wings work. You think that having wings in the air would make it EASIER for a craft to just completely do a horizontal 360. You think an airplane turning is the same thing as it spinning the fuck around. You think AIR would HELP that maneuver, despite the fact that it is the single biggest thing that makes it impossible.

>the mechanics as it was in the OT was exactly ww2 propeller plane manoeuvres
Source or bullshit.

holy shit are you literally retarded

Luke gave in to fear and hate and struck down illusory Vader, which if he actually did would wind up with Luke destroying himself.

The correct way to "beat" Vader is to turn him not kill him.

It's not complicated.

>Source or bullshit.

Holy fuck how underage are you?

>So there's air in Star Wars space? Seriously?
Star Wars space battles are just WWII aerial battles. For fuck's sake in the rought cut of A New Hope George had literally spliced in old WWII films because the SFX weren't done.

There's no sound in space. Bombs don't fall in space. Projectiles don't arc in space. Wing formation can't create or minimize drag in space because there's no drag.

Star Wars does all of those things.

I want you to show me a spitfire doing a midair drift like Poe's X-Wing, because that shit is IMPOSSIBLE.

This makes your stance so weird. You're saying that because Star Wars "space" allows so many things that shouldn't be possible in actual space, that it therefor should not allow something that WOULD be possible, just to keep up consistency of being inconsistent?

no my friend, im saying that air helps you direct your plane's speed (force) through wings and flaps, therefore providing you with free "directional thrust", something that would need actual thrusters in space

different posters

I think Poe doing Tokyo Drift is pretty stupid, I'm just pointing out that Star Wars space battles are very transparently WWII-style dogfights.

Jedi interceptors are much faster but lack shields

drift your car into a jersey barrier

Expert pilot does that
>Mary SUE!!!!
Girl who never picked a starship in her life does that
>Normal, great character development

The point is if he were in space he wouldn't need to drift, he would just 180 in place. He can't 180 in air, which is why he has to drift. No one is trying to prove to you that he isn't in a void, because everyone but you already knows he's not.

Finally it's like a VIDEOGAMES! I did this in Tie Fighter all the time. (I'm seriously scared of Disney remaking Tie Fighter now)

The thing is, though, if you're willing to believe that X-Wings can even do REGULAR flight maneuvers in space, then of course they have side thrusters in some respect. The fact that you think air would help a plane aimlessly spin around like a drift, and not just rip its tail fin off, is a little disturbing, though.

Pointing out the inspiration of the scenes has nothing to do with the discussion we're having. 99% of space ship battles are depicted similarly to aircraft dogfights because it's the closest reference point most humans actually have, since space battles aren't a real thing.

>The point is if he were in space he wouldn't need to drift,
This depends on the kind of thrusters he has. Unless he has some completely lateral thrusters (which he should, but clearly aren't shown anywhere on the ship because of the rift between visual design and actual physics), X-Wings would probably get side thrust by directing the rear thrusters. Thus, any directional thrust would also carry some diagonal momentum, when mixed with his forward velocity would probably create something similar to a drift. It's just a stylistic interpretation of something that would be pretty possible in space.

Being a Pilot is like the one thing he's great at. Think about all the things Rey is good at in comparison.

There was even anything going around after TFA came out that stated that Rey was as good a Pilot, if not better, than Poe.

Based Oscar playing based Poe makes everything seem normal

They are also piloted by Jedi not some mexican.

Kek

I had a problem with this whole scene too, fuck you

Everyone knows that there's air in space in the SW universe. Otherwise you wouldn't be able to hear the star fighter engine noises or the pew-pew!