Which Yoda is better, puppet or cgi?

Which Yoda is better, puppet or cgi?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=EkCrxRlkUJI
youtube.com/watch?v=yFRaU-adeLw
youtube.com/watch?v=_YT0gt6PiO8
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

the Yoda that looks realer. In this case CGI was better. He felt real in the prequels

still don't understand how they fucked up that puppet so bad

all they fucking had to do was make it look like the old one

the one that doesn't move awkwardly

i'm sorry Rian Johnson but when that Yoda "walked" it looked like SHIT

Not really, none of them feel that real. At least the puppet is a physical presence. The CGI version is just a cartoon.

This, CGI Yoda face could convey emotions.
Puppet always looked like it had heavy brain damage.

this one.

puppet version fitted better in the original trilogy aesthetic context, cgi yoda always stuck out like a sore thumb, fucking disgusting.

Seagulls HMM

>heavy brain damage
well he was literally several centuries old, wouldn't be surprised if that was the case

Why didn't they do a hybrid puppet with CGI facial animation like in Where the Wild Things Are? Probably would've looked the best.

After watching Face/Off the last couple of years I have to agree how did they fuck up with that much money and time?

I heard that it was the real puppet but it deformed with age. Then I saw the real puppet in a traveling museum exhibit and it looked exactly like the one in ESB, so it was obviously a team of people fucking up and George letting it pass, or they wanted a 900 year old alien to look 30 years younger.

Whichever is most convenient to help me shit on this new movie.

>At least the puppet is a physical presence. The CGI version is just a cartoon.
My god, what a fanatic of practical effects.

Look, CGI Yoda in the prequels is way better than that puppet Yoda Lucas did for episode 1. Also, Yoda had to fight in the prequels, he was younger, it has sense and you need him no be able to move. It was impossible to use a puppet for that.

Wait, what in my comment implied I'm fanatical about practical effects? I think the puppet makes more sense for that movie. Maybe they'd pull off a better Yoda now, who knows, but it's not very good there.

OT puppet > CGI > I and VIII puppets

I love those miss piggy noises

>At least the puppet is a physical presence.
Oh, fuck off. Mark Hamill already stated that puppet Yoda wasn't finished on time and most of the scenes he was with Yoda he was just talking to a fucking piece of paper that said Yoda on it.
People who automatically think puppets are better because they're actually there need to neck themselves.
That aside CGI Yoda actually looked and moved like a living being and not someone moving his mouth like a puppet.

VIII puppet looked great in motion. Camrip screenshots aren't doing it justice

Worst part of CGI Yoda is that constant fuckign frown on his face. VIII finally got his persoanlity back to where it was in the prequels

It looked worse than the one from the OT.

I don't know. I'd have to compare them side by side in motion. But it definately looked better than the Phantom Menace puppet

>it definately looked better than the Phantom Menace puppet
I agree on that. Episode 1 puppet Yoda was truly awful.

> Muh Mark Hamill
> Physical presence aint shit
> Muh "natural" CGI movement

I haven't once seen a CGI creature in star wars that I appreciated.

They did it with TLJ , they used a puppet as a base + CGI in a simillar way to Tarkin in RO

CGI for once

Yeah, I mean just listen to the way he talks. Definitely senile.

never understood why they gave cgi yoda a big melon head

>Forgetting Dexter Jettster

I like CGI yoda and OT puppet

Wasn't Episode 1 Yoda some kind of prototype they found in the backlot or some shit? That's why it looked so horrible?

The OT puppet Yoda is better than pretty much everything. I always felt CGI Yoda had a uncanny feel to it.

>not loving Dexter with your entire heart

>I always felt CGI Yoda had a uncanny feel to it.
How if you know that Yoda can't be real?

Well like human beings have the ability to read emotions on things that aren't human. We look at a dog and have a pretty good idea if it's happy or not by looking at its face.

CGI Yoda's face just doesn't look or move natural IMO

You know a dog can be real but Yoda a green goblin with pointy ears can't be real.

Yeah but I can't actually ask a dog his emotional state to verify it, much like I can't ask Yoda's.

How can CGI Yoda be real if his eyes aren't real?

Don't you understand that the uncanny valley effect is when you make humans in CGI???

Like Tarkin or Leia in Rogue one.

youtube.com/watch?v=EkCrxRlkUJI

yoda is a small green human with ears. he has a human face.

CGI

Stop, please.

Then Jar Jar Binks is a human with large ears and mouth??

>moving goalposts

Everyone arguing about this is a contrarian faggots

When Yoda was done in CGI everyone fucking bitched about how he should be a puppet

You don't know WHAT you want.

They were going to make Yoda CGI but at the last minute they realized it would be too difficult so they quickly made that puppet. Lucas wanted him to look a bit younger so they did but without putting any more thought to it. That's why he looks so weird and feels very stiff because they just didn't have enough time to do anything special. The team probably felt really disappointed after the end result.

This
youtube.com/watch?v=yFRaU-adeLw

youtube.com/watch?v=_YT0gt6PiO8

This is better.

CGI Yoda looks better when he’s not jumping around

the cgi one would look better if the prequels weren't BROWN and the colors weren't garbage

I never complained about CG Yoda. I thought he was great and it gave the character tons of subtlety and nuance in his face and body language. Plus I loved seeing him fight.

Puppet Yoda always looked like shit. Since the OT.

Reminder that the "YADDLE" puppet was designed as a younger yoda

Reminder that yoda was meant to play the qui gon role in TPM but that idea was scrapped due to the puppet issues