Comic book recommendations for someone who's been out of circulation for the last 24 years

Sup Forums, I've been in jail since 1993. Got out on Monday.

#1. What the fuck happened to comic books? This is true, the same place I went when I was a kid is still open and I can't believe how shitty everything I looked at was when I went there today. I walked out with nothing.

#2. My favorite used to be Uncanny X-Men, can you recommend something from the last 24 years I should read?

This issue of Spawn was the last comic book I bought before I went in.

Other urls found in this thread:

www50.zippyshare.com/v/upFt02pZ/file.html
www38.zippyshare.com/v/Ko3SzrxE/file.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

>Uncanny X-Men
New X-Men by Grant Morrison
Astonishing X-Men by Josh Whedon
X-statix/X-Force by Peter Milligan
X-Factor by Peter David

Stay away from anything else, it will only lead to heartbreak.
Also, who did you kill?

You should read Hellboy and the Goon. Just start from their first volumes.

Oh, and New X-Men by Grant Morrisonand Uncanny X-Force by Rick Remender are good.

Are you black?

Thanks you, I'll look those up.

I got caught up in drug trafficking/racketeering charges and mandatory sentencing kicked in. I wasn't shit in the organization but I got prosecuted like I was.
Thanks. I know Hellboy but not Goon.
No.

How are you aware of Sup Forums?

Also, what happened to the art in comic books? Everything I looked at this afternoon looked like retards drew it.
I'm staying with my brother's family until I can get a job and his son showed me.

He heard about him on the news.

They outsource it to cheap third-world artists who insert Islamist messages into the art.

What are your primary interests?

Seeing what happened to the main continuities of DC and Marvel/your favorite characters, or learning about gems/must read works produced in the time you were away?

read like most things Ennis, Ellis, Millar and Moore have made

if you want some like really great stuff, check out Chris Ware

You talking about the comics which are clearly just digital paintings over renders or the shit which apes intentionally simplistic webcomic styles?

what did you do

What about pure-blooded american artists like Erica Henderson? This is sure some quality work from the good ol' US of A.

In English, Doc.

That really does look like shit.
I have no idea what my primary interests are. I'm just trying to feel around and things are so different. I read Watchmen this week and loved it and then I read V for Vendetta and wasn't impressed. I'm looking for the highlights I've missed over the last two decades, I guess.
I know Moore but I have no idea who those other guys are, can you be more specific on the books I should look for?
It doesn't matter what I actually did or didn't do, I got prosecuted like I was Scarface and was convicted. End of story.

Here are a few good choices to follow Wathcmen up with:

The Authority by Warren Ellis
Top Ten by Alan Moore
Superman: Red Son by Mark Millar
The Ultimates 1-2 by Mark Millar
All Star Superman by Grant Morrison
Nextwave by Warren Ellis

Dude, this website is watched by FBI.
If they see you here, you'll go back to prison, you idiot

I remember Grant Morrison for Doom Patrol but I never read it.
I'll be smart and take the plea deal next time.

You will be a repeat offender
God fucking dammit. It's so hilarious, you finally left the prison, and now you're going back to prison

Than get on it, cause Morrison's DP is one his best works.

Maybe I'll become an informant.

>Uncanny X-Men
Did you pull anything else?

>I'm looking for the highlights I've missed over the last two decades, I guess.

Cerebus by Dave Sim & Gerhard
Hellboy by Mike Mignola (the whole thing, including B.P.R.D. with Mike and many others. Google for it)
Punisher MAX by Garth Ennis
Animal Man by Grant Morrison
All-Star Superman by Grant Morrison
Doom Patrol by Grant Morrison
Flex Mentallo by Grant Morrison
JLA by Grant Morrison
The Sandman by Neil Gaiman
Lucifer by Mike Carey (to be read after Sandman)
Preacher by Garth Ennis
Garth Ennis' run on Hellblazer
Grendel by Matt Wagner, et al
Conan by Kurt Busiek, Cary Nord, Timothy Truman, etc., (the first Dark Horse volume published in 2002ish)
Starman by James Robinson
JSA by Geoff Johns
Green Lantern by Geoff Johns (you might need to google a reading list here)
Batman by Grant Morrison (again, google a reading list, includes Batman, Batman & Robin, Batman Inc. and others)
The Authority by Warren Ellis
New X-Men by Grant Morrison
X-Statix by Peter Milligan & Mike Allred

Those are a good number of things off the top of my head. Some are more notable for their impact than their quality, and vice versa. Main thing I would like to impart on you are the names of notable creators from this timeframe. Those would be Grant Morrison, Alan Moore, Garth Ennis, Mike Mignola, Kurt Busiek, Geoff Johns, Neil Gaiman, Warren Ellis, Peter Milligan, etc.,

That is an awful lot to go through, mind. I'm happy to help you whittle down if you like. I understand you've been through a lot, and comics can provide a nice form of entertainment and escapism from all that. They are also exceedingly easy to pirate, the win'o threads (with the Hydra logo as the OP) here help with that a lot.

Strap in Cazul, you're about to be introduced to some Grade-A Capeshit:

-Morrison's New X-Men
-Millar's Ultimates 1 & 2
-Brubaker's Captain America
-Ellis'/Kanuf's Iron Man: Director of SHIELD
-Hickman's F4/FF/Secret Warriors
-Remender's Uncanny X-Force

Read these, and then just look up titles from these writers:

-Hickman
-Ellis
-Ennis
-Moore
-Remender

Then you'll be ready to dive into deeper waters by yourself. Happy reading.

>I have no idea what my primary interests are.
Sure you do. Just compare your interest in the comics medium to your interests in other mediums, such as books or movies. Are you only interested in superhero comics? Or only action comics, like superheroes and scifi and fantasy? Or are you up for anything really? Outside of comics, what do you like?

Here's an image that I would give to someone totally new to the medium who is having trouble figuring out what they lik to read. Sorry that it isn't narrowed down to the last 20 years.

By the way, you should know: Your local LCS shop is no longer the only place to get comics. You can legally buy books which contain collections of comics through brick-and-mortar bookstores like Barnes & Noble, and through online stores like Amazon. You can legally buy comics and read them on your computer through websites like Comixology (though cheapskate publishers like Marvel and DC place restrictions on how much you "own" what you "buy"). You can illegally download comics for free from websites like Sup Forums. They come in the form of packages containing image files, which a program on your computer will recognize and display for you. Since you found nothing which appealed to you in the comics shop, you might want to experiment with other ways of obtaining comics.

I remember some of these. I remember Grendel and Sandman.
Oh fuck I remember Concrete too.

This is pretty good but he should grab Shade the Changing Man by Milligan as well as Shade The Changing Girl, which is a current ongoing. One of the only really good books on the shelves right now.

>drug trafficking/racketeering
And now you want to pirate comics from a FBI-watched board...

He's here for recommendations, not the Win-O'-Thread.

Good call.

My timeline is also off, OP missed out on all the Lobo from the '90s.

OP, since you liked Spawn, you'll fucking L-O-V-E Lobo. There is so much Lobo out there. So many various miniseries and one-shots. If you see the names Keith Giffen or Alan Grant on a title with Lobo on or in it, pick it up.

Ok, can you recommend like five or so books that are considered landmarks in the last 20 years? I appreciate the list but there's no way I'll be able to get through all that right now.
I remember Keith Giffen he drew Trencher. I haven't though about that in forever.

For the love of christ avoid this Lobo though.

Okay, out of that list, the absolute MUSTS are:

Sandman by Neil Gaiman
Hellboy by Mike Mignola
Conan by Kurt Busiek, Cary Nord, Timothy Truman, et. al.
The Authority by Warren Ellis & Bryan Hitch
All-Star Superman by Grant Morrison & Frank Quitely

Do check out that plethora of Lobo stuff though, it's all nice easy fun. You should write those others down though, mind.

Ultimates/Ultimates 2 by Millar
top 10 by Moore
JLA by Morrison/Waid/Kelly
Emperor Joker by Loeb
Journey into Mystery by Gillen
Hitman by Ennis

Fuck yes he needs to read Lobo
Maybe he should look at L.E.G.I.O.N. too
Morrison's Doom Patrol
Shade the Changing Man then grab Shade the Changing Girl which is a current ongoing, they're starting a new arc now, good place to jump on and grab the first trade later
Lobo. Almost anything with his name or face will be good.
Neil Gaiman's Sandman

I can't get over how awful the artwork has become. Every book I looked at today had terrible artwork.

GAAAAAYY!

The mainstream has shit taste, you need to find the small niche books to get actually good art

Authority is not a MUST.

Consider the 2012 relaunch of Prophet. It has some of my favorite art in years.

Yes it is. It has had a substantial, almost impossible to overstate level of impact upon comic books as a medium and industry since it's publication. It created the style of "widescreen-storytelling" that is used in SO FUCKING MUCH of what has been put out since. Is it better than everything else I listed? No. But it certainly should be looked at, is short enough to be easily digestible, and definitely a landmark publication.

Millar's Authority > Ellis'
it's arguably the most influential book on modern superhero comics

I highly recommend Spider-Man's One More Day.

This is a troll post, ignore it.

>almost impossible to overstate level of impact upon comic books
A negative impact. It's just schlocky "widescreen" action. Nothing special about it.

Ew

>>almost impossible to overstate level of impact upon comic books
>A negative impact. It's just schlocky "widescreen" action. Nothing special about it.

I could honestly somewhat agree. But that doesn't mean it isn't an important, landmark work.

The idea of reading "important" comics is why Civil War is popular and is still selling like crazy. Knock it off.

>Ew
It's the truth. All they do with Ellis is react. They wait for a threat to appear, then they effortlessly defeat the threat with their overwhelming superiority. The Millar run is superior because 1, they actually struggle to overcome their opponents, and 2, they're proactive, actually trying to make a difference by going out on charitable and humanitarian missions to change their world for the better, sheltering refugees and eliminating dictators and all that good stuff. Millar goes over the top, but he actually had a worthwhile vision for the series.

I'm not trying to start any arguments. Thank you guys for trying to help me, I appreciate it.

Let me put it this way, the 80's had Watchmen and The Dark Knight Returns. I know that's a ridiculous simplification but those are both generally considered the landmark books from that decade.

What were those books in the 90s? What were those books in the 2000s? I guess that's what I'm really asking for right now. I'm just looking for the most important places to start catching up.

You are probably roleplaying but I love how people are talking about actual good stuff.

Neil Gaiman's Sandman

This is different. You're talking about the idea of reading things that have some sort of impact upon the continuities of big two cape comics, which as we all know is transmutable and ethereal.

The Authority has a degree of import and impact that is real and historical, as it is upon the medium and industry and not magical fake fantasy worlds.

I get exactly where you're coming from, man. My answer here still stands.

>troll
You might have to explain what this is.

Some people come to Sup Forums because they view total anonymity as a tool to be more honest than they can be anywhere else in their lives.

Some people come to Sup Forums because they view total anonymity as a tool to be more dishonest than they can be anywhere else in their lives.

A "troll" is a member of the latter group.

OP, you MIGHT like the following list, but pretty much everything out there now is extreme leftwing political propaganda (plus the writers and artists are literal amateurs hired only because they're friends of the editors/writers at the companies). I'd highly recommend staying away from anything released after like 2011.

Garth Ennis' run on Punisher
Geoff Johns' run on Action Comics (includes the stories "Up, Up, and Away!", "Last Son", "Escape From Bizarro World", "Superman and the Legion of Super-Heroes", and "Brainiac")
Geoff Johns' run on Green Lantern
Flash volume 2 (pretty much all of it, but especially the runs by Mark Waid and Geoff Johns)
Kingdom Come
Marvels
Daredevil The Man Without Fear
JLA #1-90 (the runs by Grant Morrison, Mark Waid, and Joe Kelly)
Hitman
Silver Surfer Requiem
Planetary
Conan volume 1 (the version published by Dark Horse)
Conan the Cimmerian (if you like the other Conan volume)
Sin City
Hard Boiled
Red
Polar
Amanda Conner's run on Power Girl
Richard Stark's Parker
Hawks of Outremer
Fearless Dawn (includes the miniseries "The Bomb" as well as the one-shot "Strange Battle Tales" plus several other one-shots)
Strange Pirate Tales (by the same author as above)
Strange Fairy Tales (by the same author as above)
Greg Pak's run on Hulk
The Ultimates 1 and 2 (both by Mark Millar)
Batman The Long Halloween
Batman Dark Victory
Superman For All Seasons

Guys, he is gonna fucking HATE Morrison's hipster X-Men.

The real secret is that nothing is stopping you from being both
You can be whatever you want

Well I haven't read the Millar run but he's a pretty lousy writer and considering the Ellis runs sucks too I have no intention of read the following one. However, an underdeveloped aspect was that The Authority were assholes and overly controlling, them doing charitable work misses the point and only serves to make them more like a generic superhero team... but with added edge so that means it's for mature people.

So did Civil War, it popularized hero vs hero and spawned the age of nonstop crossover events.

if I got to read one book all over again for the first time it'd be New Frontier by Cooke

I recommend anything Valiant, if you remember seeing those from the 90s some of their runs were good, I'm currently reading through Solar, Man of the Atom and I'm loving it. They relaunched the universe sometime in 2012 and I've been happy with just about everything they've done. Britannia is a really good book.

I'd say The Walking Dead too by Image but you've probably been exposed to the TV show at some point.

Also question regarding your sentence, what was it like getting used to things culturally and socially when you first came out? That must've been weird as hell.

I was wondering when the Valiant viral marketer would show up.

>he's a pretty lousy writer
Read fewer memes and read more comics.

Valiant doesn't have Solar, Magnus and Turok's copyrights anymore. Dynamite was publishing their stuff iirc.

I'm not going to lie, I remember Sandman and Hellboy from before I went in. It makes me kind of sad to think nothing more important came out during the rest of the decade. Not knocking those books because I haven't ever read them but I was hoping for something new and unfamiliar. I'll look into the other recommendations for sure though.
A lot of these I remember like Sin City and
Hard Boiled. Thanks.
I remember Valiant too.

Okay, fair. I would contend however that Civil War's influence is mostly within Marvel as a single company. In addition, it only continued trends that truly started with Avengers Disassembled, again, within the publisher.

But it did not have near the wide-reaching impact of The Authority upon the industry as a whole, and in fact, I would argue was just a big event bringing a lot of The Authority INTO mainstream Marvel. Ultimate Marvel was almost literally just The Authority - Marvelverse. And when that got popular, they ran with that (with the same writer, hint hint) for Civil War.

>Big two threads constantly
>Indie books nigh impossible to discuss, one person mentions Valiant once or twice
>Oh hey, Valiant must be shilling their shit here

This fucking place, honestly

And if OP liked Spawn I'd also recommend Rumble by Image. The early issues have a 90s Spawn feeling to them sort of. Or at least that is the impression I got from them. Five Ghosts is also awesome as is Southern Bastards. Cannibal was good too but it's such a slow burner. If you want Dark Horse outside of Hellboy I found Rebels pretty enjoyable.

>the guy who wrote Superman Adventures, Red Son, Kick-Ass,Starlight, Superior, Jupiter's Legacy/Circle, Ultimates/2 and Reborn is a bad writer
I'm going to have to call shenanigans

>>Oh hey, Valiant must be shilling their shit here
Well, they did get caught stuffing ballot boxes...

>It makes me kind of sad to think nothing more important came out during the rest of the decade.

There totally have been a lot of good comics published in the 90's, I listed a lot of them in my big ol' list a bit back, but Hellboy and Sandman are truly special. Them standing out makes sense. It's not because nothing else was important, but because those are absolutely stellar.

all Valiant books suck, OP is better off reading Liefeld's Image series

Do you want good comics or do you want important comics?

In the past twenty years, the important comics have often been bad comics.

I do not recommend Civil War, nor Final Crisis, nor The Walking Dead, nor Saga...

If you want good artwork get Shaolin Cowboy

Sorry buddy, but ever since Valiant using viral marketers and paying off critics was uncovered I just can't take anyone that recommend their entire damn line of mediocre and terrible comics seriously.

Moore's Supreme is the best

You like Vikings? Try Northlanders.

>nor Final Crisis

Ha! Trying to hide a ruse within a post containing otherwise good wisdom. You almost got it to slide on by.

Nah but really, wanna have that Final Crisis talk? I truly quite like it, though I understand the general complaints.

>general complaints
it's a bad book user, indefensibly shitty

I haven't gotten used to anything yet, I just got out last Monday. Things in my town look really run down from what I remember it being like before.
Yeah that looks cool!

Kick ass is fucking garbage and Superior sucks. red Son and Superman Adventures are just okay. Jupiter's only good for the Quitely artwork and while Starlight is good, it's far from great.
And that's ignoring his Unfunnies, Civil War, Trouble, Wanted or Nemesis

>X-statix/X-Force by Peter Milligan
>X-Factor by Peter David
These two might be more up OP's alley.

t. millarfag

The "artists" in comics now are literal amateurs hired only because they know the writers/editors.

Comics have been taken over by cronyism/corruption by leftwing political extremists.

The flow of the narrative was intentionally disjointed in the middle bits to convey temporal distortion/what Mandrakk and Darkseid were doing to reality.

Did you not read Superman: Beyond 3D or something?

Here's the first
www50.zippyshare.com/v/upFt02pZ/file.html
and the second volume
www38.zippyshare.com/v/Ko3SzrxE/file.html

I read it in single issue format as it was coming out, and I can't forgive that scam. I know the collected edition """fixes""" it by replacing artwork, changing dialogue and inserting the missing chapters, but it's too little, too late. If Morrison and his fanbase want to claim that the collected edition of his work is always the true edition, then he should stop working on single issues period and instead release all his work as OGNs. And he especially shouldn't expect me to pay two times for one story.

Abnett's Aqua Man from the current DC Rebirth run is also pretty good. Deluge just finished which is worth checking out and H20 seems really good so far.

Blame it on DC for not including Superman: Beyond 3D or Submit! in the main series.

I'm not blaming it on Grant, he wrote all the stuff. Those chapters weren't missing, just not properly labelled by the publisher.

I remember this dude! He drew Big guy!

That's what happens when political propaganda takes over the industry.

>And that's ignoring his Unfunnies, Civil War, Trouble, Wanted or Nemesis
Correct, I'm trying to ignore that you're the kind of tasteless schmuck who forces yourself to read bad comics even though you've been forewarned that they're bad.

I wasn't, I read some of those as they came out. Retard.

90s:
Kingdom Come
The Authority
(arguably) Grant Morrison's run on JLA

2000:
Not much of anything. At least not on that level.

This is a lie. Sandman bombed.

>OP wants to get back into comics
>entire thread is basement dwellers arguing because someone doesn't like their hipster britbong invasion comics

>This is a lie. Sandman bombed.
This is a myth.

>Southern Bastards

OP, DON'T READ THIS IT'S FUCKING GARBAGE!

user this is a version of "say something nice to her"
If he was 25 years in jail, he wouldnt go on Sup Forums to get infos. The chance he goes here is small he finds us.

This looks cool, I think I might go look for this on Monday. Is the story good too or is it just good artwork?
Is there stuff that's not superhero comics that'd you'd recommend?

All the Punisher books by Garth Ennis are GREAT. There are like 4 or 5 volumes and some minis that tie into those. Most are normal Frank, but the MAX series is its own one (alt universe, Frank ages in real time, no capes). Punisher Born can be a prelude to both regular Punisher or MAX series.
His most famous normal run was the Marvel Knights series, I think. It has art by Dillon, which looks too much same face, but besides that it is okay.

There is also the Barracuda tie-in to the MAX series, which features laughing battle niggers.

On that note; also check the Nick Fury books by Ennis. My War Gone By is canon to the MAX story and features both Frank and Cuda.

Ennis also did a ton of war comics (mostly WW2), if you are into those.

Damn, there's some terrible taste on this guy.

there's a huge variety of non-superhero comics these days
I'd check out Acme Novelty Library #20 by Ware, Orc Strain by Stokoe and Multiple Warheads by Graham, Logicomix by Doxiadis/Papadimitriou, Ghost World by Clowes, Fatne Bukowski by Van Sciver, The Fade Out by Brubaker and Wytches by Snyder