Why didn't Bart just watch the movie on VHS?

Why didn't Bart just watch the movie on VHS?

Or on Netflix?

Because Homer forbidded it.

Because VHS fucking sucked. Hell, BDs suck in comparison a theater and VHS was a thousand times worse.

>VHS fucking sucked
You shut your whore mouth!

Because all the home releases were updated special editions with Lucas like changes and Bart wanted to see the original

Betamax, bitch.

Only underage children who weren't there think VHS was anything but shit.

The special "Scratchy Shot First" edition

it didn't seem bad at the time, though

because he forgot about the movie a couple months later when the next life changing stupid thing came along but the lesson stood
>parenting in 2017

The movie was like 70% re-used footage from the TV show. There was no point in watching it outside a theater.

"Yeah, with all teh good stuff cut out."

On what? Nobody besides you knows what website V.H.S. is supposed to stand for, you fucking autist.

Bart was really a better class of troublemaker than this. He was inventive enough to see it. He could have went to another city. Gotten a disguise. Bribed/blackmailed/tricked the clerk. This was a weak episode.

At least he could have seen it a few years later when everyone forgot, or at 18 when Homer's directions no longer hold sway.

This was from the seasons when Bart still occasionally acted like a ten-year-old.

For what we had at the time it was good enough. It was a fucking quantum leap in quality from VHS to even DVD though, and the sheer convenience of not having to have a dedicated tape rewinder and not having to deal with tape degradation for a movie you loved is great.

Because Matt Groening and the other baby boomer writers were thinking about their own childhood when writing this episode.
That's one of the flaws of early Simpsons, it didn't actually represent America, it represented an America that was several years out of date, where a moron blue collar worker can afford to raise 3 kids in a pretty big suburban house with 2 cars and 2 pets.
When Groening was a kid, if you didn't see a movie in theaters, odds are you would never ever see it unless you were lucky enough to catch it on TV years later or something. VHS was introduced long after Groening and the other writers were kids, so in their childhood memories it might as well not have existed.

Bart is an adult now. Homer doesn't have the right to determine whether he's "learned his lesson" enough to see it.

is this episode the canon ending for homer and bart right?

All the Simpsons "future" episodes contradict each other and are mutually exclusive, so feel free to pick the one you prefer.

Homer had to draw the line fucking somewhere with Bart

Yes but what does this have to do with Bart not using any opportunity to watch the movie? He read the novelization.

>It was a fucking quantum leap in quality from VHS to even DVD though
FUCKING THIS, when we upgraded to a DVD player my brain fucking exploded at how much better it was.

>When Groening was a kid, if you didn't see a movie in theaters, odds are you would never ever see it unless you were lucky enough to catch it on TV years later or something. VHS was introduced long after Groening and the other writers were kids, so in their childhood memories it might as well not have existed.
And nowadays, I bet there's kids who don't even know what the fuck a DVD is because Blu-Rays have been around.

I always thought it was because he forbade him to do it, and it just stuck. I mean for crying out loud he became a Supreme Court Judge in that episode. He probably just accepted his punishment and then went on to forget about the movie.

>And nowadays, I bet there's kids who don't even know what the fuck a DVD is because Blu-Rays have been around.
Nah, Blu-Rays and DVDs still coexist for price reasons. Lower-income families still mostly use DVDs if they have any discs at all.

Even though I have a PS4, I still dig through the bargain bins at Best Buy because you can find a lot of 5 dollar DVDs for good movies.

Because the Simpsons only had Beta.

I was a stupid fucking kid so I have to account for that in not liking VHS back then, but damn was my mind blown when we switched to TiVo.

It was great until the tape chewed up or started to jam on parts.

>moron blue collar worker
Homer was a nuclear safety technician. Yeah, he's a moron, but it's not exactly factory work.

>implying Homer didn't think of all of that
>implying he cared that much later

No one cares about betamax.

A kid wouldn't know that.

This.

It's just a gag, in all honesty, but the "hurfff VHS is shit" argument doesn't apply because Bart wouldn't know that to begin with.

not to mention a lot of movies and shows still only get DVD releases

>Only underage children who weren't there think VHS was anything but shit.

Speaking as someone who was born too late to have experienced Betamax firsthand and too early to have known movies to only come on DVDs or Blu-rays, VHS was good enough. I wouldn't ever go back to using them, though.

because the writers grew up before home video players were a thing middle class families had access to and whom still carried the latent anxiety of never getting to see the movie or television show they were looking forward to even when such options had since had wide acceptance and support.
same way most teen/child shows over the past few years haven't fully adapted to smartphone youth culture beyond "lol pugymon gogo"