Can we all agree that cinema is the worst way to see a movie for the first time

Can we all agree that cinema is the worst way to see a movie for the first time.

>uncomfortable
>inconvenient
>expensive
>public
>dirty

I'd much rather be able to watch a movie a few times by myself to form my opinion. Trying to form an opinion on a movie when watched in such an alien environment is just too stressful.

Other urls found in this thread:

liveleak.com/view?i=208_1478187993&comments=1
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

>>uncomfortable
Not really, stop going to shitty cinemas
>>inconvenient
Why?
>>expensive
10 or 15 usd isn't expensive
>but but it is compared to my pirated video game and weed
Grow up
>>public
Ok so?
>>dirty
Again stop going to shitty cinemas

I agree. It's an outdated concept. I wish I could see films on my PC when they play in theatres. I would watch way more films that way.

I don't post slowjacks because I hate the practice, but if I were the kind of person who posted them I would post one here.

>Critical thinking is hard when I'm not at home

Cinema is the best, but only weeks after a film's premiere so it's only three people with you at best.

There is NO reason movie theaters should still exist, except to keep a monopoly on a 100 year old deprecated and anachronistic form of movie distribution.

Regular cinema yes.

The only exceptions are gimicks like 3d, huge imax screen with lasers. And sound. Usually good a nice theaters where nothing is rattling.

Otherwise most theaters are shit. I regreat going almost always.

The worst way to watch a movie is on cable with new "smart-tvs" that have the wrong format and 30fps.

You forgot:
>People talking
>People getting up and walking in front of the screen all the time
>People checking their smart phones and lighting up the whole theater
>Cold in the winter
>People crunching on popcorn and crinkling plastic candy wrappers.

The most patrician way is to watch camrips just after it premiers and shitpost simultaneously

I try to need .Ivies in their second week of release at 2pm on a Thursday. Perfect, comfy armchairs, huge screen and sound system, and just me and 1 friend who cannreact as loud as we want.

No cell phones. No infants. No teens trying to get to 2nd base (1st base in the sky boy era).

Just pure Kino.

I hate new TVs that do that dumb light adjustment bullshit. Almost makes dark scenes impossible to see anything. I did not have this issue with TVs from 7 years ago.

>I hate new TVs that do that dumb light adjustment bullshit.
You do know that you have to tune all the new tv's to get a good picture, right?

You also forgot:
> If you are not lucky you will end up in place with shitty angle / sound
> You can't pause the movie whenever you please
> If you don't like the movie you can't just turn it off and switch to another
> The movie selection is laughable

Sometimes it's an awful experience indeed. For example, saw TLJ three days ago
>stupid faggot took a photo of the opening scroll, lit up the whole room
>stupid faggots making noise eating snacks
>stupid faggots talking and snickering at every stupid quip
>stupid faggot kicking the back of my seat
>almost got pneumonia because of the stupid ac

It's cheap, shitty TVs.

There is a reason why you get £300 4k tvs and £5k ones.

>throwing firecrackers if youre in india
liveleak.com/view?i=208_1478187993&comments=1

A moderate weed habit is way more than $15 you fucking goober. And it's very expensive to go to theaters if you abide by their rules and only get food and drinks from concessions, and ESPECIALLY if you're bringing a date along.

Get fucked. OP is right. Even if money isn't an issue, it's still a nightmare for the other reasons. A private home theater setup is obviously wonderful, but sharing a room with a hundred loud dirty fat strangers is not pleasant at all.

cinemas are the only way to enforce a certain form of anit-piracy as camrips are shite.
You cannot change that. If you could, the industry would have stopped these places a long time ago.
>lel no singles policy
these companies are so good at what they are doing that they convinced an entire population that you have to be acommpanied by someone else or be stigmatized while doing an inherently soletary activity. cinemas are not going to go away in the near future.

>theater within a mile of my place
>just remodeled the place with leather recliners and stadium seating
>every screen is huge
>the sound is great
>they have good matinee pricing
>and the first showing of the day gets the early bird discount on top of the matinee
>never more than 3 or 4 other people at those early showings
>even new releases
>smuggle thermos of good coffee and a danish from home under my bummy pajamas
>enjoy a theater to myself drinking coffee eating pastry and watching movies on the cheap
>constantly baffled why people do shit like pre ordering tickets and going to crowded midnight showings just to see the movie a day early
the theater is a great experience if you're not a complete faggot

>Go to see last Jedi alone
>”O-one ticket for The l-last Jedi please”
>”JUST ONE TICKET SIR?”
>Everyone in line is alerted and staring
>”Y-yes..”
>Quickly get inside and get the middle seat of the theater
>seats around me start filling up quick
>There are two spaces of seats between me and other people because nobody wants to sit next to me
>I feel everyone judging me
>hear “Is he really just by himself”
>People infront look back up at me as if taking the middle seat while being alone was a sin
>I start crying while the lights are still on
>A older lady walks up to me and asks if I’m okay
>I don’t say anything and rush out the theater
I heard the movie was bad so I don’t really mind

It's a shame you don't go to more upmarket british cinemas none of that shit happens at all if people make noise they are told off immediately

I prefer theaters and here is why
>A giant screen with great audio
>depending on the tickets you can have a seat that literally reclines like a bed
>Public, Depending on the movie it can be packed or not. For example I saw the disaster artist and their were only 9 people there but I am still glad there were others.

I gotta agree with you though the food prices are outrages, but when have they not been?

>He doesn't book his ticket online and pick the best seat
You either live in america or the third world

They just renovated my theatre so you get a big comfy recliner. It was pretty nice

That bullshit wasn't needed in old days. Plug in and watch your films without retarded light adjustments fucking the darker scenes over.

This.

Still got an old 55inch samsung plasma and the blacks and whites are still perfect only the tiniest of backlight bleeding which isn't noticeable if you turn down the brightness to 48 which doesn't hurt picture quality

I rather buy a release date bluray for £50-100, for movies I actually want to see, than have to go to the cinema.

>appreciating cinematography on your little screen
Even if you buy a HUGE expensive 800K HD whatever tv screen you'd have to place it far away for your eyes to perceive the extra depth meaning you also need a huge house AND a top notch audio system too of course
Meanwhile, the worst inconvenience you might experience in a theater comes from other moviegoers and I found out that outside festivals, the more sophisticated the movie the more unoffensive the audience is

PCfags need not apply

Speak for yourself, my local theater is always clean and the chairs are extremely comfortable.

>actually watching camrips
Neck yourself

I feel like half of the reason I didn't like TLJ is because the audience clapped so goddamned much

>literally the 'works on my PC :^)' of responses
bravo

I picked the best seat for TLJ and it was a double seat designed for friends/couples some stranger booked the seat next to me because it was packed but saw my bags there and said don't worry and sat next to some other fuck who also had a double seat.

Stop caring so much.

Most theaters suck, but if you find a good one it'll be great.

>And it's very expensive to go to theaters if you abide by their rules and only get food and drinks from concessions, and ESPECIALLY if you're bringing a date along.
>implying you need to eat anything in a movie theater like a slob
I get the drinks argument but you eat first before a movie, especially if on a date. Also again, go to a better theater with better showtimes. There's no supposed nightmares when watching at a theater.

>such an alien environment

Cinema went wrong as an artform when it began to cater to autists like you. It's meant to be a social experience - the audience are agreeing to be quiet for each other and share an experience even though there's no live performer there to tell them to shut the fuck up if they break that contract.

still better seing it on the big screen and loud amplifiers. and if you dont get a fag ruining your experience being a fag then its great

My theatre costs £6 most of the time with a student discount, has a bar on 3 floors showing a lot of A24 movies and documentaries even some old classics from time to time.
Dolby atmos sound which was amazing for dunkirk and blade runner.
Every seat reclines and it has proper little circle tables instead of cup holders.
Also a double seat costs the same as a normal seat.
Everyone is well behaved in there and respectful.

I never experienced half of the shit you faggots mention all the time.
I mean seriously, people yelling and talking to the characters on-screen?People being so filthy that you can smell how much they stink? Seats being covered in shit? People bringing babies into the theater?

Please tell me this is all just memes, no country is this degenerate.

It happens if you go to poorly managed shit-tier theaters in poor neighborhoods.
Both theaters here in my area have none of this shit.

And if there is such a theater, people can simply go to another one.
I never understand why anons on Sup Forums can hate watching at a theater.

It doesn't have to be this outrageous to ruin your experience.

The black levesl are shit.
>

I have a $2000+ setup at home but I still love going to the cinema
No roomate/brother/sister/mom/whoever barging in the room, no tasks/problems you suddenly remember you have to do, no phone notifications or calls, no temptation of looking up stuff you see in the film on the spot, no option of pausing the film 12 times, you just have sit there and experience the film as a whole at once with absolutely zero distractions like it's intended to be experienced (I'm from Europe so I never had a single bad cinema experience like I hear here often)

A bit of true escapism, I love it.

>It doesn't have to be this outrageous to ruin your experience.
It barely has to be anything when you're a socially anxious, dateless chubster hypochondriac.

Disney says don't have an opinion comrade

I cannot possibly imagine seeing Interstellar or Fury Road for the first time anywhere other than Imax. Some movies are just made for the cinema. Close Encounters Of The Third Kind is another, older example.

I'm neither, people are just mildly annoying usually and mildly annoying is all it takes to take a patrician out of a film.

If you watch patrician films than more than likely the audience is not dumb kids and teenage couples user.

In my theater people know what is acceptable, in TLJ I think some guy in the back said "what" when luke was fine when kylo sliced through him and people were murmuring quietly during the flying princess scene. At the end of the movie some of the people clapped but all of this only would bother some social inept autist.

I watch every kind of film with a patrician approach.

So which company is going to kill the cinema model the way netflix killed blockbuster?

>better screen
>better film quality
>better sound quality
>better colour quality
>huge screen
>comfy big seats
>crab legs
Theater is the best way to watch films.

Are you saying OLED has better black levels than your cinema?

These are basically the same reasons as me, even when Dunkirk came out on torrent I hadn't seen it during it's cinema release but found the last IMAX showing at Leicester square and watched it, the experience was so much better in the cinema especially the sound it's just impossible to recreate that at home.

There's a cinema near me that's the oldest working electric cinema in the UK, I watched Oldboy there recently with a beer and small crowd. Can't beat that kind of atmosphere when you're watching movies at home on your PC with a bag of cheetos

This, I watched Dunkirk in 70mm at Leicester Square, much better experience than watching it at home

>not taking your falcon out for a good theater fight from time to time
It's like you want it to get lazy

There's some really shitty theaters and some nice ones.

The shitty ones really are the above and I would rather watch it on my phone
>shitty parking due to shared parking
>shitty seats
>uncleaned seats and food everywhere
>50% higher costs
>shitty audio, shitty video
>stale popcorn, sodas (THE WORST)
>movie not starting on time

Now the good ones have none of the above problems, good audio/video, comfy seats

Leicester Square is one of the few good popular cinemas also Curzon have some good ones.

Went to watch Blade runner again recently at Empire Haymarket who are the last ones in the country still showing it but they're quality is shit. Dim lights still on, bright fire exit sign and the doors behind the seats are glass and let light in all meaning terrible black levels on the screen sadly.

>There are two spaces of seats between me and other people because nobody wants to sit next to me
I would see every movie in the theater if this was guaranteed to happen.

ITT: People who watch capeshit films on opening night at some piece of shit Regal in a flyover state ghetto

I've gone out to see like 20 movies in the past few months (just got Moviepass) and I never experience any of the shit that some people are describing here. If you live in a major city and only see good films at upscale chains or art/indie theaters, then you won't have any of these issues.

Depends if you're watching it with an audience full of White people or Americans.

>wearing pajamas in public at 2 pm on a weekday
Sounds like you’ve got life figured out user

>2 pm on a weekday
Early bird showing is at like 8 am you illiterate cunt.

or I don't feel like fucking planing for a movie a day before and I just want to have seamless experience without having to think about it

Dumbass casual who watches dumb capeshit flicks on the fly

Was at TLJ yesterday morning and a couple sat next to me. After every trailer before the movie, the lady would say "Netflix... *snort*" then look at her date. There were at least 10 trailers and she did it every time.

Yup. It's an archaic concept. It's only really worth it if you go t oa good cinema and even then only if you get one of 20 good seats in the middle. Anything else is a waste of money ansd you might as well stay at home.

Not to mention all the other problems like smell, noise, idiots, etc.

and you cant hit a bong

I don't agree

You literally pick the seat when purchasing whether it's a week in advance or 10 minutes in advance here

kys you faggot

Dumb degenerate