Why does every movie need "jokes" and "quips" now?

I don't understand it. It's like every movie nowadays has to "spice up" the movie with funny jokes in every scene. Critics love it. But why is it necessary? Now every movie just feels like a Marvel film with forced unfunny humor in every scene that takes away a lot of the tension. I hate how irony and sarcasm have become pretty much standard in every film, nothing is allowed to be taken too seriously.

Nowadays, if a film doesn't have these dumb quips in every scene, critics will complain

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=Kj3opk1QFTM
twitter.com/AnonBabble

blame marvel
movies have become less about intellectual stimulation and more of a theme park ride. Fun, long enough to get your moneys worth, but constantly reminding you that it's just for fun. Having a movie that takes itself seriously is bad these days.

HEY CHROME DOME

I hate that so much, it's almost like now taking something seriously is actually considered embarrassment. Being earnest, unironic and passionate is now seen as a negative, what's popular now is sarcastic detachment.

Yeah and it's sad because the Marvel movies are not particularly well made. I can't think of a single one that extends beyond itself as anything but popcorn entertainment.

To make autistic people feel lonely

We really got lucky with Blade Runner 2049. I would've blew my brains out if it was a quipfest like Thor Ragnarok

This has been the case for action movies for a long long time OP

Blockbusters were always quippy. The grimdark era of the 2000s was an outlier.

Are you fucking joking? The original film has characters that are literally lifted from Kurosawa films strictly for comedic relief. This trend is as old as big expensive movies.

If you hate levity, don't watch a 200 million dollar space samurai soap opera.

that's not Marvel's fault

if anything you should blame Pirates of the Caribbean

I should go pay $25 to see The Last Jedi in Imax 3d to really understand the movie now, right? Fucking die

Most movies are garbage but if the audience laughs enough they wont notice

Disney figured out the Avengers formula and applied it to Star Wars

Why do you think TLJ came off like Guardians of the Galaxy

But the difference is that the humor in blockbusters was often more organic and wasn't a replacement for emotional seriousness. I mean if you look at ET, the film has humor, but it feels much more organic as it comes from the inherently silly situations. It doesn't take away from the emotional strength or genuine feeling of the film.

The humor in modern movies is meant to undermine the emotion, as if to say "we can't let this get TOO serious, now". It's very unnatural as it comes up as just jokes inserted in the middle of serious dialogue. And it usually doesn't matter the character; compare it to old Star Wars where the humor was mostly an offshoot of the naturally funnier characters like Han or C3PO.

Huh?

youtube.com/watch?v=Kj3opk1QFTM

Humorless depictions of human life are not believable.

Everyone is too afraid to be serious because you open yourself up to jokes at your expense. This is the generation of sarcasm, self-deprecation, and ironic humour.

Modern Blockbusters work off the idea of fun and levity.
Quips and Jokes are there to constantly break the tension rather than actually dwell on negative emotions.

If Jurassic Park were made today that amazing scene in the projector room would be filled with one-liners

There's nothing inherently wrong with that type of film, but it doesn't belong in a Space Opera like Star Wars

eh, I disagree if we are talking about this star wrs franchise. I thought there was a good balance of humor and seriousness and I actually liked some of the quips and one liners but I guess that is just a matter of opinion. Marvel is different story though. I can barely make it through one of those.

naw man, you can git tickets for 8.99 through the cinemark app or pirate dat shit

this.

Blame Disney. And Blame all the fucking normies who pay Disney all the money.

But that movie was literally based on a theme park ride. And the humor fit well with the swashbuckling pirate theme and jack sparrow's character.

It's not disney fault. Disney just goes where the money is. In any case, it's our fault for guiding them (disney and others) to that place.

Demoralization

You're right but neither are clever one liners in almost every situation

>you're nothing but scum!
>REBEL scum ;)

I totally disagree. I think humor definitely belongs in star wars.

there was plenty of quipping in the prequels (obi wan fighting grievous off the top off my head).
even the originals had plenty. leia and han were the quip-masters.

QUIPS IN MUH STAR WARS
REEEEEEEEEEEE
RRREEEEEEEEE

I don't have a problem with movies that have jokes in it. Hell, both Avengers 1, deadpool and G of the galaxy 1 are awesome movies that I highly recommend to everyone. But at least the have souls. TLJ, GOTG 2 and Avengers 2 are just boring to watch.

The jokes with hux in the beginning pissed me off; way to take me out of the moment. Then I just don't pay attention for 5 minutes because I am expected to pay attention to mindless dribble.

see I found that hilarious. I'm just a pleb tho

It's because the kids working in Hollywood want their movies to be un-memeable. They want to be in on the meme so people can't make fun of their movie on the internet. It's all rooted in insecurity because everybody has fucking anxiety these days. You can see this shit with people who run brand accounts on Twitter. Even fucking MoonPies are shitposting on the daily now. There's also a lot more risk involved when letting a scene play out to its emotional climax purely just in case it completely misses the mark and people laugh at you. It's like that kid in class who got bullied so much that he eventually started bullying himself because it ruined the fun and made people feel indifferent to them.

Han Solo existed long before TWA and TLJ. You do remember him, right?

Fuck hux, any joke at his expense is hilarious.

Not true, humor is just an easy and more efficient way to make someone relatable so they opt for that instead of actually trying.

>There's also a lot more risk involved when letting a scene play out to its emotional climax

I feel like this never happens anymore

When's the last time you feel like a scene actually maintained its momentum and built to an emotional climax? I dont even remember

>When's the last time you feel like a scene actually maintained its momentum and built to an emotional climax? I dont even remember
Unironically Guardians of the Galaxy 2

And fuck you too, that shit is retarded and out of place.

>BUT MUH EVIL WHYTE PPL FUK HUX HITLER DURR

TDKR

>the Marvel movies are not particularly well made
they stay fairly loyal to the source material.
basically studio execs want the "marvel audience" and give no fucks about artistic vision

Focus groups. Deadpool funny, ha ha

social media brought on the age of faux self awareness. normies now think if a movie breaks the tension or winks at the audience, they're in on the joke and smarter than everyone else.

Jesus user. Going through a rough patch?

But the humor was just a natural offshoot of his character, he was a rogue and tough talking type. It never felt like they just inserted a funny line for the hell of it. In modern movies the funny lines almost always feel out of place and like they're filling a quota for humor. Han Solo was funny just because that's his personality.

I guess I feel like there's a difference between "one liners" and humor that more naturally blends with the dialogue. I mean in modern films like TLJ you can tell they basically went back through the script and inserted the humor within, most of the time its totally arbitrary to the dialogue. You could remove it all and lose no information of any kind. The same could not be said for Han's dialogue.

More and more people are getting brainless as the years go by and now they need to have quips shoved in everywhere to lie to themselves that they're aren't sociopaths. Everybody is fucked up now.

I'm just spitting facts famalam

You're right as well, of course

High five!

I think some people need to rewatch the original trilogy. It is littered with humor, thats part of what makes them so rewatchable. I liked the pacing of the TLJ and its totally a movie i could watch again. i felt lik i was in the theatre for an hour

I honest and unironically raged. Fuck Disney.

I liked the film overall though

Not him but I think the way the OT used humor was way better than in the new movies. The humor meshed well with the characters and most importantly with the tone. Scenes that were meant to be taken seriously were played straight while lighter scenes had jokes that felt true to the characters and explained things about their personality. In these new movies, there were lots of jokes during really tense scenes that completely removed all tension and really took me out of the scene. Plus the quips all felt like they were written by the exact some person without any regard for the character they were writing for, it was like every character had exactly the same sense of humor.

maybe for a humorless fuck

I think it's marketing research. The same thing happened with commercials in the mid-90's. Suddenly every commercial had some gay quip in it. I remember everyone laughing around me like mindless retards. I was not laughing.

movies have literally always done it but you're just paying attention to it more now.

Oh i see. You like hux and dickless empire scum

>Plus the quips all felt like they were written by the exact some person without any regard for the character they were writing for, it was like every character had exactly the same sense of humor.

You nailed it

This is not a quip you dumb faggot. Have you ever a seen a movie before. This is how movies are written

You sound like my "ex"

I found her on pof and fucked her for a while until your antidepressants killed her sex drive.

Don't live your life that way, user. Its not an honest way of living in this universe, and also its annoying as fuck.

Kek

Ladybird is a gr8 movie

>enter terrible action movie here

I'm thinking of most DC flms

It's acknowledging the brand within the fucking fiction. Fuck you for thinking you're smart.

The comedy in TLJ is forced and cringeworthy it was one of the worst things in the movie

It's a way of covering up the lack of any meaning or catharsis. It's the same reason people make stupid jokes when they are uncomfortable, even a shitty writer/director can feel the emptiness in their films they just don't know how to create meaning or emotion. So in goes another quip.

To the people saying "it's always been like this", compare this or Marvel films with a movie like back to the future. can you honestly not see the difference? The humor in back to the future is virtually always natural to the character who says them and does not contradict the tone of the scene

Underrated post

I honestly don't really get how that's the norm for movies nowadays. It's really weird because even in past movies such as Crank that didn't take themselves TOO seriously, it wasn't really a quipfest like most Marvel movies. It manages to keep a fine balance without seeming like it's a sarcastic detachment.

I think NuStar Wars may have been the straw that broke the camel's back. When people are realizing that what they're watching is about the same as Marvel, something's gotta give because now there's this realization that these movies are all virtually the same at this point.

>everyone loved every single aspect of the prequels before Disney bought Star Wars
Swing and a miss, shill.

it makes sense with movies full of characters in colorful costumes fighting evil robots and gay norse gods though.

Star Wars was a little more mythical and dramatic though. Yeah it had comedic relief of course but it kept a serious tone.

>There's also a lot more risk involved when letting a scene play out to its emotional climax purely just in case it completely misses the mark and people laugh at you.

Entering the realm of uncertainty? Shut it down, bad feels! Laugh at the quip instead!

And here is an important point, in a movie like Back to the Future, the humor is often the cresnsco to a scene

>Marty screaming "what the hell is a jigawatt??"
>Marty going off key and doing that crazy guitar solo
>biff getting buried in shit

All basically the end of the scene. Meanwhile in modern films the humor is meant to get in the way of the scene's tone and bring the tension down to a manageable level

>hating quips
Cinema is a low form of art. If you want to feel smart, start looking at paintings.

Don't live my life what way? I unironically enjoyed Thor Ragnarok and Guardians of the Galaxy 2, that doesn't mean I don't understand the simple tricks Marvel use to make people empathize with their characters without having to put too much effort into it. It's in their best interest to not take risks.

What has this got to do with your ex or anti-depressants or God knows whatever the fuck?

>Don't live your life that way, user. Its not an honest way of living in this universe, and also its annoying as fuck
You should take your own advice, because analysing people based on trivial shit and thinking that you've got everyone figured out because you think you're Dr. House is annoying as fuck.

Yeah, I'll agree with you there. There were TOO many jokes in weird places but I don't think they ruined the film. I liked some and not others. I'm not saying this was an awesome movie by any stretch but I got all I wanted out of it. Nothing disney releases will be as good as the OT and thats okay I guess. just wish it didnt cost me $25 with a medium popcorn

Well, we had two perfectly dark emotional DC movies in Man of Steel and Batman v Superman where I can't remember ONE quip or joke, but all you faggots hated it because it was ''too dark'' and not FUN.
Fuck you and I hope you all die.

you are an idiot if you believe that.

You know in pro wrestling there is this term "burying your opponent" which means destroying a potentially good match by making a character look weak, its never a good thing.

Seriously hoping Infinity Wars has a moment where Thanos finally confronts the gang, someone starts goofing on him and the purple nurple pounds them into oblivion before they get a single quip off.

Maybe they been setting up all these quips just so Thanos can show up and actually come off as a threat qhen he Denies our heroes their sweet one liners? Whooo knooows?? Definitely not me, im sure theyd never do that roflmao

because it makes money

You don't even need to go far to see the difference in humor.

Compare any marvel movie with stupid plots that supposedly couldn't be taken seriously with fucking armageddon with their stupid plot.

Is it? I kinda wanna see it and my partner wants to see it. is it a feel fest?

Yeah but they basically keep it to those characters.
Tarkin and Vader weren't cracking wise or talking up someone else's "spunk."

How did Luke, a man who lived a long time ago in a galaxy far far, know that "laser ( "Light Amplification by Stimulated Emission of Radiation) sword" rather than "plasma word" would achieve maximum laughter in the audience of 21st century humans on planet earth?

Jesus what redeemable qualities does gotg2 outside of Kurt Russell's hair the flick is fucking terrible

>no one is from nowhere
>im from jakku
>yeah that pretty much is nowhere

That was a good one actually

Modern culture is just fucking scared of seriousness and commitment. This is just a symptom.

"I defined an entire era of films. Bow before my quips"

>Seriously hoping Infinity Wars has a moment where Thanos finally confronts the gang, someone starts goofing on him and the purple nurple pounds them into oblivion before they get a single quip off.

Ironically, that would actually be very funny.

Did anyone else cringe when Luke brushed off his shoulder after Kylo tried to kill him?

Psshh, hating GotG2? You remind me of my ex who was all bipolar and on meds and shit... you need help bro... serious red flags dog...

Underrated as fuck post. This is exactly the issue. This kind of material is still considered as "nerdy" in the sub concious of most normies, so the ironic humor has to be there to detach them from taking it *too* seriously and feeling embarrassed.

Take your meds, David.

Man of Steel was the antidote to the oppressive irony of our day.

>I don't think they ruined the film.

well you are wrong.

You cant blow off each and every potentially dramatic scene with a one-liner. In the end people will just not be invested anymore.

They even made the re-unification of Luke and Leia a joke ffs. Those characters didnt see each other for how long? And she makes a dumb hair joke, fucking great NOW I'm ready for a dramatic last stand scene.

There's a difference between having a comedic character and having half your scenes undermined with a cheap joke that fucks up the emotional weight of anything important.
The OT was pretty good with not subverting itself. Prequels not so much. NuWars is completely self-destructive.