Are there any long-running western comics besides Invincible where the characters age a significant amount throughout...

Are there any long-running western comics besides Invincible where the characters age a significant amount throughout the story, almost in real time?

It's a lot more common in manga but I haven't seen much western stuff do it. The closest I see is usually a character starting out as a kid/teen and then either staying a 20-something for a few decades or reverting back into a teen after a few years.

Love and rockets, started in the 80s where the characters that were in their twenties and now they're full blown adults

Hellblazer.

He didn't start as a kid, but Constantine was 30 at the start and 60 at the end.

I think they were doing that with Dredd in the beginning, but i'm not so sure now.

At some point he was de-aged.

short answer no.long answer no.

Well since there is already an invincible thread (sort of) I'm just going to ask this here. So I just found out about the Movie, and I decided to go back and binge read from the beginning. First time I've read most of them in a few years, and it got me to thinking, I just can't see the movie going well.

Worries about casting and who's directing it aside (and I am not very enthusiastic about who they've chosen to direct and produce it) I just don't feel that Invincible is written in a manner that is conducive to making a movie.

To me at least it feels like there is no good cut off point for the move, and no good singular plot you could base a movie around, at least not in the beginning. It's just kind of a bunch of story lines all running at the same time. It makes a great ongoing comic, and in the long run it ties things up nicely and everything comes together, but I just can't fathom how they are going to do it. I mean what would be a good cut off point for the movie? And will they be able to include everything? Cause if you cut material then it just isn't invincible. There really isn't anything I can see that could be cut in order to streamline without fucking things over. Nothing really superfluous. Except maybe the guy blowing up students. That could probably go.

depends if they're doing multiple movies or just one and thats it?

you could easily do the first 12 issues as a movie (death of the superteam, mark getting powers becoming invincible, fight with dad as end)

I would hope they do multiple movies. No way in hell it could all get wrapped up in one.

You really think there is enough material there for a full length feature film? I mean I thought about that as a cutoff point as well with his dad flying off, but it just seems like there isn't enough to fill the time/ interest people.

Knowing Kirkman, he definitely sees Invincible as an up-and-coming franchise, his next Walking Dead, which means a whole lot of movies, I'd say six at the very least. Whether the franchise can attract enough people to sustain that kind of longevity remains to be seen but, honestly, I somewhat doubt it, unless the marketing team is REALLY good (like Kick-Ass good) and doesn't just spam FROM THE CREATOR OF THE WALKING DEAD over and over again.

Astro City
Love & Rockets
Stray Bullets

Hey an invincible thread. Sweet. I'll just bring up a few things I want to discuss but haven't had anyone to discuss them with?

Atom Eve, do you like her? I do actually.

Annisa, do you hate her? I don't.

Who's the best character, and why is it Robot?

Assuming you are up to date, what the hell is Mark thinking?

How do you think it will end?

I think we'll probably just get spammed with FROM THE CREATOR OF THE WALKING DEAD.

It would work best as an animated TV series.

I mean I guess but if you're only going to adapt that part then why even bother? Invincible is okay at first but doesn't get super good until maybe the third volume.

And that's why the movie will fail.

I'm not sure if I should be happy or sad about that. Probably sad.

>Atom Eve
I miss her thiccness

>Annisa
On one hand, rape is wrong.
On the other hand, female-on-male rape is my fetish

>Who's the best character
Cecil, RIP

>Assuming you are up to date, what the hell is Mark thinking
Either they finish the fight or they'll lose

>How do you think it will end?
Robot/Rex will die fighting against Thragg

Judge Dredd

Rape is wrong, but I can undestand her perspective.

First thing to consider is her cultural background. If you're not benefiting the Empire, if you are weak or a failure, then you are killed.

She was failing her assignment. She'd been ordered to breed. She didn't know what would happen to her if she failed. She couldn't know how Nolan would handle things, she only knew the old way, and it would have gone badly for her.

Being ordered to get pregnant is pretty horrific I think. II is almost like rape I think. She was in a hard situation, and she made a horrible decision. To be fair she wasnt a very good person. One of the better Viltrumites I'd argue, even then, but still no angel.

Still, she's changed since then, I'd really lik e to see her and mark talk.

I liked Cecil, but Robots better. At least I think so. Why so you like Cecil best?

Look I can sympathize to an extent with her being ordered to get pregnant and all the moral implications associated with that but let's not pretend she was a scared little girl in this situation. She gleefully raped Mark. She enjoyed the hell out of it.

Ultimate Spider-man sort of. It doesn't go on very long but it's got some progression

Fair point. Still don't hate her.

Savage Dragon progresses in real time. He had a kid in the 90s who is now old enough that he took over the mantle from his dad. Also Hellblazer like another user said.

didn't Ultimate Spider-Man run for over 160 issues by the same writer?

the real time shit doesn't happen (he celebrates the same birthday twice, right?), but long running story of progression applies.

Quite frankly there are a lot of image books that progress in real time.

Thicc is fine, but she's just as fine now. Hot in all incarnations.

I swear, if you have any black character besides Tom from the Boondocks or Carlton Banks you'll have concerntrolls who are "totally not racist" accusing them of being ghetto stereotypes.

Not exactly real time but Wally West straight up aged like a reasonable person over a long period of time before they erased him.

Though it's not like Invincible works as real time with all the alternate dimension time skip crap.

It's practically impossible for any kind of comic to run in real time unless it's going to do a timeskip at least every couple of issues.

Hajime no Ippo comes out weekly but it takes several months to publish a fight that lasts a half hour.

Most of invincible's aging is done through retarded time skips and him literally being placed in the future. Which is already done by nearly every comic ever.

Other than the 5 years and the coma there really hasn't been anything like that. Time passes organically for the most part. You're just pissy about the back to the past thing I bet.

They are also the only sources of proper time passing for the most part. The comic fears it's protagonist growing as a person, so all time skips are done with him away from the main cast.

The fuck? why did you post this again and in a different thread?

What I don't get about Annisa is why she didn't just bone a viltrumite. Surely at least one of the men would have been attractive.

If not, then why not try artificial conception? They clearly have DNA tests...

Except months and even years pass as we watch him and we see him grow and change as a person. Your argument is bullshit.

so will Tech Jacket and Wolf man ever get their own series or at least miniseries ever again?

Might be possible if the dudes have plans to continue the universe even after Invincible ends.

Could be awesome if they at least showed up to help against the Viltrumites... or at least Tech Jacket does.

I would give anything for more wolfman. I loved that shit.

Fine, if that's your definition of it then basically the entire Teen Titans cast, with emphasis on Wally and Dick. They get shown growing up moreso than Mark even has since we got to see them start at 10.

Meant to post it there but accidentally posted it here instead. So I deleted it here and posted it in the correct thread.

>WALKING DEAD
Walking Dead does. Carl has gotten a lot older, though maybe not in real time exactly.

Man, if the first movie edned with Mark's fight with Nolan, the world's pussy would explode in hype for the second movie

It'd need to cut a lot of shit, like Angstrom Levi, but personally I think Viltrumite War movie trilogy can work.

>First movie ends with Mark's fight against Nolan
>Second movie ends with Mark's fight against Conquest
>Third movie is Viltrumite War

I'm fine with that.
Angstrom has never really been a compelling character to me, and they'd still be able to get around Mark's trauma for accidently killing someone with a disposable weak villtrumite before the war.

Was going to mention Walking Dead but it's a given. Also Y the Last Man does this to an extent.

Beck was almost in real time. For one chapter where the story takes place during a few days, you had others where months passed.

i love that comic