youtube.com/watch?v=bar3GOzDNzg
youtube.com/watch?v=ZLIfNISp-ks
youtube.com/watch?v=V2XGp5ix8HE
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

he's coming

he's coming

HE'S COMING

Six foot eight weighs a fucking tonne.

How did Brad Neely fail so hard after producing so many LITERAL MASTERPIECES?

He's one of the few 'content creators' i'm legit angry at, because both of his AS shows have been horseshit.

youtube.com/watch?v=Sp3wTXYoCCg

one man

once died

but did you know that he could read all our minds

after thinking about it for a long time i think it's because professor brothers was essentially slice of life recounting of the escapades of two incredibly autistic professors, whereas china, il. was through the roof absurdist/straight up fantasy, pony was a shit addition to the main cast, the comedy was too over the top and try hard and every character came out of the gate flanderized as fuck from their original forms

I heard that motherfucker had like. Thirty goddamn dicks.

>Great stats

china illionis (the 4 part youtube short) is so incredible in both it's poignancy and absurdity. the musical numbers were also fucking great.

the problem is that people expect animation to be constantly moving and emulating film, whereas his work is better as a series of still frames, allowing you to notice the changes between shots or take in ridiculous menu items.

a lot was lost in the shift between mediums

Honestly, why couldn't they keep the original style? It seems to me that it would be cheaper to make it that way. Was it just executive meddling on the belief that the [as] audience demands fluid animation?

It just seems so queer to me that they would give a guy a shot at doing a cartoon and then compromise his ability to do what he does best.

they put 3oz mouse on the air, so the bar is pretty low for animation

i bet it's some exec that just didn't get it. "oh okay, so these are just the storyboards for your show. we'll get some koreans to animate this out for you, no worries."

Neely's telling of Sodom and Gomorrah is probably my favorite bible related thing ever.

youtube.com/watch?v=bar3GOzDNzg

youtube.com/watch?v=ZLIfNISp-ks

jesus christ

China, IL is one of the biggest [as] disappointments. I was a terrible fan of the original shorts and the pilot only increased my hopes. I would have absolutely loved to see something that carried on in that exact same style. It's not as though China, IL was awful either, it had its moments, but ultimately the whole thing was just a colossal let down for me and I prefer to think it was [as]'s fault and not Brad Neely faltering under the pressure of getting his network shot.

This.
What I liked about most the shorts was the idea it was just the skewed unreal perspectives of crazy people. The Professor Bros were just checked out Professors and Babycakes was some weird autist manbaby. The things they'd say would be a funny misinterpretation of reality but obviously not real. Then along comes the show and all the shit they say is not only possible but plausible.

Also another thing I miss is that occasional underlying sadness in the shorts. Like in the pilot or the one where Babycakes visits his grandpa.
>They just made his mom some Roid scientist rather than running off because she didn't want to deal with her family.

>guy produces series of shot skits and songs
>not even animated just still frames
>people wonder why both his cartoons were shit
People need to understand shot absurdist humor doesn't translate well into 30 minute shows.

Did anyone seriously expect 30 minutes of China Illinois to be good? 15 would be pushing it

Aqua Teen is never going to happen again but they keep trying

In the web shorts it was pretty clear that most of the fantastic stuff we saw was just Babycakes looking through life though his personal filter. The show lost its way when it moved from a manchild's observations on life to another generic zany adventures show.

the part where they drink and yell and then cry together is so cathartic

everyone's just in tears and fucking shit up and singing in tongues

I mean, his pilot was fantastic and it was essentially entirely done in his original style so it was definitely possible.

oh also that part where he's talking about how "everyone wants to be the hero of their own adventure, they're just waiting for their time" as it cuts to child sweatshop workers looking out the window daydreaming

it's not mindblowing stuff, but the simplicity of the style makes it more effective than it should be

Where did the show go wrong?

It wrote out these guys.

The future will look like whore planet, a planet of whores. Unfortunately it might only LOOK like whore planet

He failed to realise what the brothers Chaps figured out. His stuff isn't suited to broadcast.

He does lots of short vignettes but to do a show you need to work that stuff together into a 15 or 30 minute narrative. As also stated the still picture style would never fly on television. Finally I am sure there were people at Adult Swim pushing for China Il to be more "Adult Swim" in tone and style hence all the sci-fi and fantasy stuff. I haven't seen much of his other show but I suspect it's an attempt to try and capture what made the web videos so good while still appealing to a certain demographic and similar horseshit.

You see them waving in the opening, and I kept hoping...

I really hoped pony was the dnd girl that Babycakes murders, but she totally shit on the ONE dnd episode that was totally weak anyway.

I mean I watched it when they came out, and I enjoyed it enough to look forward to them, but the super deluxe era was literally my favorite stuff on the internet at the time. Wizard people dear Harry is fantastic and I'd love a proper release.

Hard naling scorpio peepeoo was another huge disappointment, I thought that [as] was letting him just go crazy with nonsense. But I think it could be Brad Neely himself. Fruit blood was pretty cool tho. And we saw what happened to baby cakes dog. And ok the celebrity crazy person description was ok too. But it reminded me of robot chicken, it felt burnt out.

>Wopper and a forty is good tho.

If stretching material for 24 minutes was a problem why couldn't they have just made up an episode of several different nominally unrelated vignettes in the style of his show?

>friend started singing this to me without context
>had a serious lapse in memory and asked if it was from Hamilton
>still making fun of me for it

This is unironically the best thing Neely ever did.

youtube.com/watch?v=V2XGp5ix8HE

Just like Columbus, he get murderous on purpose

I've always loved the lines about Columbus' bloodlust.

sometimes i go to the lake and sing songs to the lake about the lake
once, a goose clapped

eh I'd say season 1 of China IL was pretty good and there was a couple season 2 episodes that were good, but he definitely did drop the ball after a while, and that second show he did looked pretty blah

It was an okay show. The DnD episode was okay. There should have been a fourth season.

Maybe hamilton was ripping off Neely. It would explain why it was so surreal.

I enjoyed China, Il for what it was, but that might just be because I'd only seen a few of the original shorts.

China Il. wasn't total horseshit, but yeah, it wasn't as lovely as his web shorts.

Echoing the other posters in this thread who pointed out that besides the change in media, a network putting constraints and standards on his work spoiled it. I'll never understand why the network that broadcast fucking 12 Oz Mouse for years couldn't let Neely use his same lo-fi, extremely spare animation and absurd but poignant little vignettes.

Harg Nallin' was frequently uninspired and I don't miss it.

This will sound retarded and pathetic but that's my favorite short just because Baby Cakes describing his daily routine of filling his pockets with booze and walking around at the park looking at girls hit so close to home. I had a few shitty sad years where I was between jobs and school and I'd just walk around the neighborhood to try and keep my mind off shit.

Baby Cakes finding the Socratic Wisdom dispenser that's spit out dozens and dozens of cards that just read "Don't kill yourself" is so weirdly affirming to me, when I get down I just think of that and I start to feel okay again.

Ton*
You Limey

fuck you pony wa shot and awesome
yeah man,. all of this

it was bad, but it got better each time. by the end i actually almost wanted more.
at least it left us with a few good memories
>I stayyyyy naked

what happened?

The TV show of China Il just bugged me so much, I loved the web cartoons Brad Neely did and this just missed the mark so badly on what made them so great, maybe it wouldn't have made great television, but just stuff like listening to the characters describe their goings on in their own unique ways was a thousand times more interesting than just seeing some "wacky" events happen with watered down versions of the characters we all love fart around in them, or even worse, the characters interacting with each other with poorly written dialogue. It feels like it had a thousand hands in it meddling with it to try and make the show more appealing to more people, and losing the magic in the process, but I can't believe that to be the case when Brad was so heavily involved in making it.

I also don't think Brad Neely's style translated well to being fully animated, the sense of motion you get from his stills shown together somehow looks a lot better than the actual show(s) where everything just looks so stiff yet also floaty and weightless.

In the end it just really wasn't what I wanted and I felt seconf hand embarrassment to see the show actually be like this coming from the web series.

>I also don't think Brad Neely's style translated well to being fully animated
That was probably it. Writing to, in some cases.

For me, the only good thing that came out of the series was Pony, and the Dean.
Real shame about Baby Cakes character, though.