Adventure Time Elements

Now that the dust has settled, was it kino?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=454IFz5W4oI
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

wha?

people watch adventure time?

I literally have never seen an episode.

Cloudy was

It can be pretty good and it's ending soon so I'm sticking with it

Yeah, it was pretty great.

>Cloudy was
Good taste.

I really liked it. It was nice seeing episodes that weren't so heavy on melodrama or romance, and the adventure was exciting and suspenseful.

I like episodes like these. Where the adventures are cool and fun, with a lot of humor. I think a few of newer episodes tried to cash in on the feeling of old episodes by being quirky and stupid, but Elements shows what the show's been missing.

user this isn't 2012. You can't expect people to have been keeping up with this zombie show.

I just wish I could have watched it over the course of a few months, or maybe a bomb or two, instead of... what's that term for when you chug tons of liquor at once?

Getting shitfaced and dying

I would be fine with the format of 2 a day they want to do, but when it gets released online you either have to bar yourself from the outside world to avoid spoilers or give in and flood your mind all at once, neither are really nice ways to take it in I think

There were some neat things about it. I like how Patience was neutralized by her own element's affinity with despair. My main complaint is that it dragged a bit in some places.

Kino means shit. Come on, how many times have you seen Kino used to describe something that isn't at least problematic?
OP wants to know if it sucked.

It was a crap ending
>LSP all of a sudden majorly important
>Patience fucks off back to nowhere
>all of that build up, then out of nowhere candy instrumentality

Kino
>Will you be my sweetheart? Because I love you.
>Flame Princess as dragon (but her invasion was lame)
>Jake's final form

>It was a crap ending
I loved the ending with LSP. It was ridiculous, but fitting.

The LSP stuff was sorta kinda pulled out of their ass but they managed to connect it to enough random early parts of the series for me to appreciate it
>LSP's gem didn't fit into the Enchridion like the other elemental princess'
>When LSP bites someone they turn into a lumpy person because it's the lumps overriding the other elements that are in that person
>Lumpy Space itself exists in a dimension outside of Ooo because it isn't a natural part of the existing Elemental ecosystem

Sort of bullshit but clever enough that I liked it.

If you have to ask if it's good, then it's probably not good.

Betty was a huge cunt and when you're immersed in a serious story arc and she has about 20-30 minutes of being a cunt it's hard to not get thrown out of it. The writers treated her as a temporary sock puppet with obnoxious jokes, line readings, and that we were completely supposed to sympathize with her. They even had Finn say he got fucked over by her in a funny way by renaming a term after her.

If Betty wasn't in this and it was a pure Elemental focus it'd have been god-tier. Betty just kept ruining it. I can't think of a single time she was on screen that she wasn't being annoying in a non-funny way except for LSP saying she has an annoying laugh way after it had started with her. That could more be seen as LSP being her rude self rather than actually calling out an issue, but just because you point it out anyway doesn't make it better, and the kept on and on making her laugh like that. I get it, it's a quirk, but it's not a funny one, it's not likeable, it's just grating, and they ever only called it out once so it's not a running gag or even a character trait, it's just an annoying execution.

Betty wasn't that bad in her first episode, she was passable. She gradually got worse.

She felt like the obligatory female wacky and depressed lead since Marcy was stuck with PB as a side character and not an adventure team member in this arc, and LSP didn't do the trick.

wow its almost like she went insane

I've never like Betty but I think this was a decent use of her, she helped make the way they fixed the problem not seem completely bullshit and I liked some of her interactions with Ice King.

She was supposed to be sympathetic early on but as soon as she betrayed Finn and tried killing Ice King all that went out the window, the narrative wasn't trying to make you like her anymore. They even had Ice King himself stand up to her.

I did really love the LSP shitting on her laugh scene, they were able to make that awkward laughing joke feel very fresh.

Yea, doesn't matter why, the execution is what matters and it was annoyingly horrible. I don't get why people defend Betty.

Elements was great, her scenes kept bringing me back to reality though rather than keeping me in the immersion of a good story for the first/second time in years. Islands was great, i just wasn't as immersed.

This is more acceptable defending, I can at least see why some defenses are the way they are, assuming you're two different people.

But her interactions with the IK were horrible imo, especially the bit where she said something along the lines of "Seeing you is like looking at my life through a funhouse mirror and it'S DRIVING ME MAD :DDD" and when she insulted him with a little bit much attention to detail, worst offense was how she said "strewn before me". The funhouse mirror thing WAS a writing narrative to give sympathy, and it followed betraying Finn directly as her reasoning. A reasoning that is in that gay ass way of "She's doing that because she thinks it's the right thing, even though it's not, because she's struggling with it". She was going to undo everyone's lives and fix Simon for herself, not even for Simon.

They had the IK "stand up" to her as a way to continue hinting that Ice King is Ice King, not Simon, as she still told him to shut up anyway.

I get it if people like her new personality or whatever, but I'd prefer they see it as it's written. I'm all for discussing if I'm the one seeing it wrong though, but it's just straight from the episodes how she was being a dick, the only thing on my end that isn't a fact is how she felt like a writer's puppet, that was just be exampling how I see her execution. She was written as a sympathizing character who went insane from trying to save her husband and is now suffering herself, that's to it's core what we're supposed to sympathize with, with things she said being important in that regard along the way.

I'm the second poster and yeah I'm a different person.

Is your main problem that you think Betty's a bitch and you feel the narrative is presenting her as a good person? Because I mean, I totally get why the narrative was on her side until towards the end because she was helping fix the problem and just wants her husbando back, that's a pretty noble goal I would think.

The impression I got is that she was trying to do a good thing but for very selfish reasons and she didn't care about the consequences, I thought it was alright. You could feel why she was doing this but it was ultimately a bad thing. The way she got transported to Mars to be (I'd assume) punished does make me think the narrative was looking at her with disapproval.

a thread died for this

Which part had LSP insult Betty's laugh? I want to watch the scene again.

I think the start of episode 6?

Found it. Thanks, user.

No problem bb

IMHO
Islands>Elements=Stakes

You mean Dogshit >>>>>>>>>>>>>>> NTR >>>>>>>>>> Stakes

I don't understand the hate for Stakes. The lore was good, the episodes were funny, and the whole format of one episode per vampire up until the end was entertaining.

>the narrative is presenting her as a good person?
Kinda, she's obviously bad and a thread, but they give the underlying theme that she's suffering and doing it for what she sees as the right reasons. Like you said
>she was trying to do a good thing but for very selfish reasons and she didn't care about the consequences
>You could feel why she was doing this but it was ultimately a bad thing.
We are supposed to sympathize with her but we're also supposed to know she's in the wrong, but that makes it even more sympathizing.

I think you see what I mean but we have two different reactions to the subject.

It's not just that though, she's annoying in every line read. I get she's insane, but it's even the non freaking out bits, like the living in the past speech excerpt, "this book is weird, but", the thing about shadows she says to the manticorn, the anger inhaling, "dog, dog, dog", "can the dog take care of this?" it's not the voice either it's the push in tone with how she says things. It's just grating. It's both that and her being a dick in some of those examples, but they're two separate issues on the same thing.

It's also shitty that they made Finn overly annoying like they do sometimes when they want the other character(s) to push him off or make them seem better. It makes sense in context (him getting jazzed about saving Ooo so he says "c'mon guys" and the graduate student thing) but it doesn't feel genuine when they pull this with other characters before. Besides, it was the follow up too, with "can the dog take care of this?" instead of talking to Finn directly. The smug sense of superiority is aggravating too. There's 3 different things I can think of during this post that I see as an issue with her, she's annoying even when she's not supposed to be due to how the lines are said, she's a bitch that we're supposed to sympathize with beyond surface level, and she's treated with this weird focus about how she's used.

1/2

It was just whatever to me, I wasn't feeling it. Maybe it mostly stems from me not being that into Marceline as a character anymore and being disappointed that nothing changed (but hey everything stats right).

Vampire bad guys were awesome though.

I don't get it either. It was a fun, self-contained story.

I think I can understand some of your critiques, but I don't know, I'm still mostly okay with it. I guess her VA work can definitely be stilted in ways that can't be excused with how the character is though.

Though I though Finn was totally fine in this- he was annoying but it didn't at all feel to me like it was artificial, he was stressed out and wanted to do something to help and was accidentally obnoxious because of this. Betty was being a bitch to him but on his part I thought it was perfectly natural, and I like to believe that I can tell when the show is unjustly shitting on Finn.
Also I kind of thought those parts with Betty were funny, it seemed like she never even learned what Finn and Jake's names were. Not defending her or anything but it made me laugh that she so utterly didn't give a shit.

I love arrogant and smug characters. You don't have to think a character is likable to find them compelling.

When will Finn become great again?

But he was great in this miniseries my friend, the days of Finnshitting are in the past.

Is Finn's hair length inexplicably random or is it just me?

They've been BSing it lately compared to the earlier seasons. Like in Orb it was coming down to his back then in Cloudy it's all sprawled out to his legs pretty much. They stopped keeping it consistent but it is a minor thing at least.

*and a threat

2/2

--and I can't feel any emotion other than annoyance whenever she gets mad, I can't sympathize with her, I can't laugh about it (since it's not that kind of scene, we're not expected to) and I can't not feel nothing because she's taking up time in the arc to get mad at the Ice King for something he can never understand or help, insulting him, and crying about her own side of the issues. We're expected to feel bad for her because she's suffering to get things right, but it's just so fucking grating.

>The way she got transported to Mars to be (I'd assume) punished does make me think the narrative was looking at her with disapproval.
That's just the start of the next phase of her importance to the series, probably about how the magic has tainted her and made her crazy and that she needs to accept the way things are, etc. I can't see how it's a punishment she was sent there, it's blunt that she's going to hear from the original MM about being a good Wizard where he was a bad one, etc. He was calm with her being there, he wasn't mad or anything so he's not going to fuck with her, he just said she donked up because the thing she was doing fucked up and sent her somewhere which she wasn't wanting to go, which we know.

Prismo and his boss will likely get in on her actions later but not punish her, just tell her she's wrong and that sort of thing. The only good that can come of that eventual story is Prismo's boss.

It's always a bit longer every time it's shown and sometimes he cuts it.

Yes, but for how long until he's cast aside again fro some other character nobody gives a crud about?

>mfw BMO keeps cutting his facial hair

Never lose hope bucko, the series doesn't have much time left so they're sort of obligated to be nice to our golden boy in the final stretch.

The miniseries solidified Finn and Jake's position as my favorite siblings depicted in telvision.

The shit thing about LSP being a hero was that Him and Jake won't get credit. I want her to get credit AND them. But nah
>Finn himself saying "SHE DID IT!" at the climax of the ending where it mattered most
>everyone cheering for her
>"I'm a hero"
>No one talking to finn yet, or jake since he wasn't there, and since callback continuity is sparse we're unlikely to get a "thanks finn and jake and lsp" in the future

Holy crap someone with the exact same opinion as me.

Loved all of it, at times Jake feels like a shallow character and their time on the cloud added so much to him.
Also that ending scene was so well done with Finn's reaction
>Sees Jake, at first is startled and even takes a step back in fear
>Jake talks and Finn realizes he's fine
>Finn is immediately not worried anymore even though Jake is a giant monster because he knows his brother's fine

These fags are gonna make my heart burst.
Also, I fucking love how they explicitly call each other "brother" more in these recent seasons than more generic terms like "friend" and "bro" that used to be used. It feels like in the past they tried to obscure what their familial relationship was but now they've full on accepted it and it's so nice.
Best bros.

That was the thing this series did best. I've missed the brother moments from the earlier seasons.

>mfw the slime episode and PB singing

>the slime episode and PB singing

do you think jake's kids are now 1/4 shapeshifter-y?

So does this mean Jake is 100% alien shapeshifter now?

Will his shapeshfiting powers become enhanced by his transformation? Cause he did some insane shit with his powers before so I wonder how it will work now that he's basically transcended.

I'm willing to bet the next miniseries is going to be about Jake and his alien origins. Or at least, that's what I really, really want.

i just. i have the weirdest mixed feelings.

the farmworld enchiridion, ice king/betty's magic being weakened/strengthened exactly when the plot needed them to be, and especially lsp's deus ex machina-esque resolution felt a little too convenient...

>but, while everything did go "back to normal", its gone TOO normal; sweet p might go full lich again, jake's shapeshifter/shoggoth identity is gonna be explored. there's still consequences

the ice king-betty "arc" got so close to resolution but the progress that was made felt a bit cheapened by betty's betrayal...

>but she's crazy and we probably shouldn't have expected her to be as lucid and herself as she appeared, and she's gonna be cosmically punished for her actions by magic man/probably prismo and the cosmic owl, so its not like the whole thing never happened

the staff has built a lot more structure in their storytelling, and while this is technically positive it felt a tad bit predictable and we know that they can tell compelling stories without typical three-act frameworks...

>but when things started getting predictable, jake fucking disappeared and finn became a fire boy, and fucking LSP became the main character for a while

lotta "buts" with this one. does anybody feel the same/am i making sense?

Elements was the last miniseries, sadly.

Stories about guys being decent and loving to each other without crossing pandering lines is in such short supply today that it makes a show/comic/whatever stand out when it is done right. It resonates in the hearts of men.

Look at Achewood. At its heart, it's a well told story about male bonding and brotherhood, and that's what makes it one of the best webcomics of all time. Beef and Ray's lifelong relationship, everyone's reverence of Cornelius as a wise father figure, the protection of Phillipe as a younger brother, etc. And the Great Outdoor Fight arc is the ultimate tale of getting into trouble with your guys.

The relationship between Finn and Jake stands out because it's what we all know brothers are capable of.

I'm pretty sure he's always been that way.
I think it's just his body itself "remembering" what it's "natural" state is. Something Jake has never thought about changing into for obvious reasons.

>the next miniseries
haha

I really like this post and totally agree with it. Genuine love between men is really sweet.

Stakes was shit,

They fixed the Kink off Goo thing so quick, and it happened during the miniseries
More bubbline ship teasing
Finn and Jake acting overly fun and wacky instead of a good balance with being helpful, they sometimes were even treated as nuisances
Shit song
I can't remember which, but one of the vampires were shit tier

I haven't seen any of the episodes from that miniseries since around the time they aired, but i remember far more issues with the episodes that i agreed with being said. Wasn't Marcy wanting to be fixed and then not by the end handled in a shit way or something? Like what made her change her mind was something dumb after coming so far? It was easily the weakest and easiest to find issues of miniseries of the 3. only marcy lovers (to the waifu level) will think it's above the others because she's the star

From what I remember the wanting to be mortal thing came out of nowhere and so did her being okay with being a vampire again. I guess it had something to do with the whole "everything repeats in a cycle" thing or whatever the fuck.

>wanting to be mortal thing came out of nowhere
actually i think that was the part i remember reading in threads back then, which in turn makes her wanting to stay a vampire being dumb

I didn't think it was bad, but I found Islands and Elements far more enjoyable.

>muh lesbian shiptease!
>muh waifu spotlight!
>muh beautiful songs!
>muh cucked finn!
>muh women characters!

Where the hell is this hate for the song coming from, I didn't like Stakes either but the song was good

>I didn't like Stakes either but the song was good
You don't have to lie, just ask. It was just obnoxious. I think people are talking about the one song in the ice kingdom, not everything stays though, if you're misunderstanding.

OHHH right, that song was so weird I kind of forgot it existed. When people say song in reference to Stakes I immediately go for the big one, which I did like.

>I think people are talking about the one song in the ice kingdom
Haven't seen it since it leaked over a year ago, I remember hating it but when i try to remember what it was I just remember this still frame of marcy floating somewhere underneath the Ice Kingdom, that's literally it.

Is there a link on youtube? Might make discussion easier and i can't download right now

I got this'n
youtube.com/watch?v=454IFz5W4oI

It's just weird as hell, barely flows, Marceline's voice has an odd distortion effect, just not good at all. It's like a weird slam poetry freak of nature.

I hate talk singing

Who wrote this in?

>so did her being okay with being a vampire again.
She wanted to stay mortal, but she accepted the inevitability of her fate, and decided to make the most of it.

It's not that bad, I like it, it's cute

You're far too kind dude.

It's a meme retard

No, it was as usual shit and should just be euthanized already.

anyone got a mega for the episodes?

No.

DID SOMEBODY SAID FERN?

>jake
but why?

The OST was amazing the music that plays during the Patience episode makes my heart ache.

To see him suffer even more.

Anyone else notice how powerful the Candy elemental is, Bubblegum reality warped Marceline's demon immortality away and she could also warp other elementals.

It was a decent adventure with decent drama, but I was kind of tired of those long ago, like Jake seems to be. And other than that episode where Finn and Jake pretend to be barbers, it really didn't add anything to any character.

In the end LSP was too lumpy for character development and that turned out to be the key to solving this big old obstacle that, despite being the product of four (mostly) major characters' inner selves gone overboard, was only superficially related to their characters. I'm not going to call it lazy writing, more just writing that did something different for the sake of being different rather than because it had a good idea of somewhere new to go and why/how.

She was still a demon, she was just also made of candy.

Its implied Bonny could have killed her by assimilating her into her being.

Is Patience also unkillable since shes intangible now?

it was pretty good shit, i liked that lsp was given meaning. I will say the slime one was pretty boring. I'm looking forward to the whole jake looking like his alien father subplot (assuming the next episode develops that, rather than just turning things back to normal in the next episode like most cartoons do. was kinda disappointed betty turned out to be an asshole, but maybe that was to expected idk, i really liked the ice episode where like every things depressing and patience regrets her choices and made the good guys evil or whatever.

Stakes was good.

and it belonged in the trash

Is there any vore of dragon Phoebe eating Finn yet?

>people will still deny PB is evil after she forcibly transformed and brainwashed everyone in her kingdom

Did you skip random parts of the mini series? Because they explained that.

it was a meme series, taylor made for reddit

>Patience succeeds in her plan, but in doing so becomes too apathetic to care that she succeeded or make any effort to stop anyone from undoing it

good for you

But she failed. She just wanted them to embrace their powers, not be consumed by them. The only thing her apathy kept her from doing was fixing the mess she made.

I'm SO MAD that Patience vanished before her prime like KOO.

I fucking hope they bring back both of them, they're the best characters in the last two seasons

Why did none of the princesses try to stop Finn from stealing their jewels?

Betty was only good when Jesse Moynihan wrote her. Same for Magic Man.

I'd demand he return to the show if I hadn't read his blogs about how much it drained him. He does wrassling now or something

They were too wacked out to care I'd assume.

no is wasn't