ITT: Cool premises in disappointing movies

ITT: Cool premises in disappointing movies.

Pic related, it's from M. Night Shaymalan's "The Village".

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=XG-sPYUK95E
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Horrortards really wanted the monsters to be real

Woulda been neat if it'd been a fantasy horror. Oh, well. I like it anyway.

>he doesnt like iconic creature features

How do they even come up with such ridiculous premises?

Yes, haha...so ridiculous

I prefer Post-9/11 America allegories

i need to rewatch that movie but i liked it.

the purge movie was a good premise but the movie itself was shit

almost there.....

Yep, poster-child for this sort of thing.

>five people are stuck in an elevator, one of them is the devil

Dude twists lmao

just kidding, I agree

Keep the vvitch a mystery and you've got yourself a 9/10 horror movie on par with the Shining. You can even keep the crazy ass ending.

The film isn't really about whether there's a witch or not, it's about the breakdown of their family unit.

Difference is the threat is real and made very clear that the devil is causing them to collapse rather than their own fucked up heads.

Keep that threat/witch a mystery up until the end and you've got something more to think about.

I think you'd just complain harder when it turns out the witch was real.

>watch movie
>know the twist
>turns out it isn't really a twist

During the advert campaign for The Village I was strangely excited for it, more so than I would have expected. I think I was a young teen. I daydreamed and imagined about the premise so much that I was having recurring dreams about remote primitive villages in a vast forest, where threat of a pack of evil beasts would send people hiding at a moment's notice. I imagined how daily life would be in this place, how the beasts would be supernaturally ruthless, ect.

I was disappointed when I saw it in theaters and they were making it obvious what the secret was with the box and the costumes and everything, but I soldiered on and enjoyed it for what it was.

I've been thinking of fleshing out my imagined story though, could be cool in the right format.

I haven't seen this movie in forever. What were those things again? The actual villagers or something?

>What were those things again? The actual villagers or something?

Yes, those creatures were what actually lived in the village. The twist was that the ‘humans’ turned out to be ghosts.

Aliens and Predators fight each-other in a labyrinthine pyramid in Antarctica.

Except that film wasn’t disappointing at all.

What are you even talking about?

>Can't be disappointed if you had no hopes raised to begin with

I like The Village.

Even predicting the tweeest 5 minutes in it was worth the watch.

bet you'll never guess it was THE SWEET OLD LADY HAHAHA BIGGEST TWIST OF ALL TIME

I think it being an ebin tweest might have been Shaymalan's reputation getting out of hand. It feels like you're meant to guess the twist very early on, and the film doesn't treat it like much of a surprise when she sees a modern man for the first time. He's just introduced driving along a road.
The real tweest is the monsters not being real.

It just didn't grab me. Well written, decent pacing and the set/ character design was great.

Just during pull me in as much as I wanted it to.

I think it's kind of weird how The Village is mostly hated while The VVitch was pretty much universally aclaimed. In some ways they're simmilar kind of films but The Village is better acted, has better cinematography, better score, it's more character driven. and it's all around a more honest film.

they were real until the twist, the director is famous for baking a cake and then shitting on it or sometimes just putting shit into the batter

The creatures were a ruse to stop they villagers going into the forest. The elders would dress up in costumes.

At one point there is a fake-out tweest that the creatures are actually real but it turns out to be the crazy guy in one of the suits

This movie was an alegory of the Irak war post 9/11 tho

>better score

youtube.com/watch?v=XG-sPYUK95E

Is it supposed to be _a_ devil or _the_ devil? Wouldn't satan have better shit to do than kill people in an elevator?

This. People were just mad because the marketing tricked them and they were angry about not getting a monster movie. If you take the film for what it is, it's perfectly not. Not Shyamalan's best work, but pretty good.

>they were real until the twist
No, brainlet.

But The Witch is more clever and soy boys love cleverness above everything else.

Beautiful.

>forced rivalry between The VVillage and The VVitch
Get in on the ground floor early bois, pick your sides

This could have been a comfy, heartwarming movie.

Made me mad as a kid when the aliens didn't turn out to be malevolent.

Why? Should the earth have been swallowed by a giant tsunami?

Guess I went into it expecting Aliens

Movies where the aliens aren't malevolent are the best, though, because it's easy to make a movie where the aliens blow shit up and try to kill us. It's more interesting when they're more about making contact and establishing their presence.

>giant alien ball under water makes your fantasies reality
>turns out human fantasies are dark and dangerous

Wasn't that badly executed from that premise, but i always felt that one could make a better movie out of that premise.

The VVitch is almost a masterpiece with a great social commentary about female liberation, but you aren't going to get it if you're a Sup Forumstard.

>starring Adrien Brody as a gibbering retard
wHat

That pic is fucking with my mind

Why does everything that come from Sundance is so shit?

Old Mexican tale about the devil harassing sinners before taking them.

>but The Village is better acted
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!
>has better cinematography
I would say they're about even.
>better score
I don't remember any music from either film.
>it's more character driven
The characters are shit though. All of the "LOL SO QUIRKY XD" shit they do feels extremely forced.

The ending was stupid though. Surely they could of come up with a better way for the characters to be rid of the Sphere.

>The Village is better acted
No. One film has someone literally acting like a retard, the other has Anyafu killing it
>has better cinematography
t. nostalfag who thinks film > digital
>better score
Yeah, ok. That one is true
>it's more character driven
So what? The VVitch is much more atmospheric to the point the atmosphere is literally a character
>and it's all around a more honest film
No, but even if it were, The VVitch is a much more intellectual film

Because it isn't targeting teenagers ((you))

They aren't really comparable. The VVitch is a psychological horror film that's all about atmosphere and realistic characters. The Village is on paper a psychological horror film but Shyamalan's goofy dialogue and the contrived twist ruin it. You're comparing well made horror to silly schlock.

Because Americans are the most self-complacent people in the world and they think that just by making a not-so-commercial-film they're making something with artistic value. For them it's not about the actual quality of the film but about its social connotations. They see art as a fashion accesory to show everyone how artsy you are.

>I think it's kind of weird how a badly written mess is mostly hated while a well written film is pretty much universally acclaimed. In some surface level ways they're similar kind of films
I really hope you're baiting.

>DUDE IT'S AN ALLEGORY YOU JUST DON'T UNDERSTAND LMAO
Everyone understands M. Night's heavyhanded allegory. People don't hate it because they don't understand it, they hate it because M. Night executed it in the dumbest way possible.

Enjoyed Sixth Sense, Unbreakable and Signs, but The Village is so far the first and only film I ever felt like walking out on. I remember the twist becoming apparent to me early on, and when it did, all the tension was sucked out of the movie like a hole in the space station

it really pissed me off because the whole execution was shit, the whole backstory of why he is virgin is shit

Fuck off, yuropoor.

Are you going chronologically going through his filmography? If you are, don't watch Lady in the Water unless you like shouting at your television. It's pretty bad. The Happening is worth a watch if you like hilariously awful b-movies. Skip The Last Airbender and After Earth, they're his worst movies. The Visit is okay. Split is surprisingly good, it's by far the best movie he has made since Signs.

Hmmmm
*sips*
TWEEEEEEST

Are you high, there is no mystery.
You know in the first 5 minutes there's an evil witch in the woods.
The only surprise is the introduction of Satan. Which is not a surprise, because you know he's there in the background the whole time.

looks like a skin walker

>Lady in the Water
Lady in the Water is worth it just for Chris Doyle. At first it may look amateurish but if you start paying attention you realize he did an insanely great job.

i saw this movie but I remember nothing except for a hispanic elevator maintenance guy

Oh yeah, saw Happening and Split too. Split was ok, can't wait to see Glass.The Happening was shit.