Hmm

Hmm...

lmao someone really wants me to hate this movie

why weren't they this obnoxious about TFA

I thought it was about secretly stashing the past on the Millenium Falcon

I bet you’re the guy who made the thread whining about “obvious Disney shills” on Sup Forums lmao

As if Disney would waste their time on a group that doesn’t pay to see movies

So we're literally 2 movies into a trilogy, and they're

STILL

shitting on the prequels? It's pandering. TFA got a pass at being a rehash because it's trying to desperately establish that "this is the Star Wars you love! Remember the Death Star??" But then they spend the 2nd movie doing the exact same shit. "Remember Dagobah? Remember Cloud City? Remember the Throne Room? Remember Hoth? Remember what the Force was *really* about? Let's have Luke sarcastically comment about light swords and lifting rocks, then make the movie about light swords and lifting rocks."

If that were the theme of the film then it fails at that as well since it hinges almost entirely on the past and ends with a kid holding out a ring with the rebel insignia indicating that the future is rooted in the past afterall.

embracing the future would be never watching another star wars and finding something new to do

>facebook posts about film intention and dumb audiece appreciation
It's the next BvS, confirmed

They could have taken Star Wars into the future without trampling the past.

DUUUDE
REY IS NOT A SKYWALKER. THAT LITTLE SLAVE KID AT THE END USED THE FORCE

DO YOU...DO YOU UNDERSTAND WHAT THAT MEANS!??!

ANYONE CAN BE A HERO!! YOU DONT NEED TO BE A SKYWALKER TO BE A JEDI MASTER. THIS COMPLETELY CHANGES EVERYTHING!!!

I can't let go. I NEED DARTH JAR JAR. WHY DID YOU TAKE HIM FROM ME?

why even bring back Star War then? make new shit instead?!

>And is fearful
Jeex, was this written by a ten year old?

When did that slave kid use the force?

Try making damage control less obvious next time.

How the fuck does this film "embrace the future"? It didn't further the story at all. If anything it's the most stagnant Star Wars movie to date.

>call breaking your set universe through game-changing hyperspace kamikaze tactics, multiple glaring plotholes, and jokes inserted that ruin any emotional immersion "letting go of the past"

>light swords
It's worse than that. Luke actually calls them LASER SWORDS as though light sabers are just laser flashlights.

>buy beloved franchise
>make the movies about letting go of the beloved franchise
>have the next thousand years worth of movies in beloved franchise planned already

... ?

Pew pew lazerz

Well if that's what it's about it does a terrible job compared to a lot of films with the same topic, most of all What Dreams May Come.

he was being snarky. bravo joss!

That's kinda decent writing though. Its like people who know nothing about guns saying "clip" and calling every gun a glock.

remember guys, empire srikes back was hated by audiences initially for having such a different shift in tone and cliffhanger ending, only for the dust to settle and people really see how good the movie was.

not saying TLJ is good or bad, only to give it time.

>Fans: I didn't like how Luke was handled, why did Snoke have no backstory, why was there so many jokes that ruined the tone, etc
>Retards: You are just fearful of the future

Yet I will always rate the prequels over episode 7 and rogue one and clone wars above everything that came after the original trilogy.

And nobody will make me change my mind.

>ANYONE CAN BE A HERO!! YOU DONT NEED TO BE A SKYWALKER TO BE A JEDI MASTER. THIS COMPLETELY CHANGES EVERYTHING!!!
Until a Skywalker comes in and kills all trainees, like Anakin and Ben both did.

In OUR universe, most people don't really know what a saber is. But it seems in the star wars universe, people know lightsaber was what it's called. So for Luke to call it a laser sword seems like it's a joke just meant for our universe. It's fourth wall breaking

ah yes i mean you wouldn't expect luke to know anything about lightsabers am i right

This is blatant revisionist history, it was Jedi that was the hated on because the teddy bear picnic ending & second death star, Empire had universal acclaim

TFA didn't get worse audience reviews than the prequels, that's why.

>if you don't like a soulless cashgrab remake of an also 40 year old film you are afraid of the future.
that seems a bit backwards Disney.

>ruin something that used to be good
>tell people who don't like it that they are the problem

Progressivism.

More like
>a flick about letting go of the past and embracing the future for an audience that doesn't care about the past because they are the future

>movie is about letting go of the past
>Han Solo movie in 5 months

this isn't EU luke who could macguyver a lightsaber out of a deathstick and some bluemilk.

>only the future is written the past can change
>burn books
>follow your leaders mindlessly
>don't hold any strong beliefs

Woah it's like I'm really at the third international

>COME SEE NEW MOVIE IN FRANCHISE YOU LOVE
>ALSO LET GO OF THE PAST
>THEN GO SEE THE NEXT NEW MOVIE IN FRANCHISE YOU LOVE

???????

Woah, it's almost like it's a stand-alone film....

>letting go of the past
>literally ends on a shot of a child that has begun indoctrination into a political cult

>if you don't like soulless cashgrab remakes you're afraid of the future we have planned for you
Makes perfect sense to me coming from Disney, senpai.

This.

>Disney still doesn't realize that the only reason why people like Star Wars is because of the old movies

wew

>"Let go of the past and embrace the future!" said the megacorp with the 9th installment in a 40 year old movie franchise while also producing live action adaptations of 20+ year old animated films based off of 175+ year old stories.

"No!"

Oh no, we meant for you to move on to something else. Not us, we get to do what we want :^)

you can always tell shill campaigns because they're based on what they anticipated the criticism to be instead of what the criticism actually is

>ignores the facts that the main character doesnt let go the past at all and saves the dumb jedi books

What by shoving lots of old shit in our faces so that they get people in the theatre?

SW runs on nostalgia because it has never been able to make something as well loved as the original trilogy, in ten years darth vader toasters will still be on sale but not fucking porgs. At best Disney want people to latch onto new stuff cause the old actors are dying.

Oh, well. I guess Disney doesn't want me to let go of my money either. Time to part ways with Star Wars.

TFA was well-received. They didn't expect this so they're just doubling down.

>have the next thousand years worth of movies in beloved franchise planned already

lmao they can't even plan out a sequel to TLJ

>Pauline Kael, who wrote for The New Yorker, had this to say about the film: “There is no sense that this ebullient, youthful saga is running thin in imagination or that it has begun to depend excessively in its marvelous special effects — that it is in any danger, in short, of stiffening into mannerism or mere billion-dollar style.”

>June 15, 1980, Vincent Canby wrote this in The New York Times: “The Empire Strikes Back is not a truly terrible movie. It’s a nice movie. It’s not, by any means, as nice as Star Wars. It’s not as fresh and funny and surprising and witty, but it is nice and inoffensive and, in a way that no one associated with it need be ashamed of, it’s also silly [...]"

>"The Empire Strikes Back received mixed reviews from critics upon its initial release. For example, Vincent Canby of The New York Times wrote a largely negative review of the film.[58] David Denby of New York magazine called the film "a Wagnerian pop movie—grandiose, thrilling, imperiously generous in scale, and also a bit ponderous".[59] Judith Martin of The Washington Post criticized the film's "middle-of-the-story" plot, which she claimed had no particular beginning or end.[60] However, this was a concept that Lucas had intended.[36]" (wikipedia)

in other words, fuck you user, you could have googled this.

>Disney rips off A New Hope
>Then tells us to let go of the past when they make a shitty sequel

Quite the nerve eh?

>movie is about letting go of the past
>entire marketting is based around Luke returning

>letting go of the past
>blatantly recycling scenes from previous movies

Pick one

If this is a repeat of Empire Strikes Back, why do the critics love TLJ? Also you posted critical opinions, what about public reception? If anything I'd say the movies are exact opposites in both regards.

What's all that got to do with the prequels?

not him but they tried going for the "fuck the prequels, this is for the REAL fans" with the first one

Except you can't because Rey was literally just chosen by the force to get her powers. It's just a different kind of nepotism.

Anakin calls Qui-gon's lightsaber a laser sword in TPM. For all we know, it could be what average people in the galaxy know them as.

Reminder that sabers are curved swords and it never made sense anyway

Yes. White genocide. Let brown people ruin first world communities. We get it, thanks Disney!

Lucas was originally going to call them laser swords (and if you watch the behind the scenes footage, he still does). "Lightsaber" came from Alec Guiness, who thought laser sword sounded too sci-fi and cheesy, and everyone else agreed with him.

It was never really supposed to make sense, just sound cool. Plus, IIRC, Alec Guiness did some fencing when he was younger, and fencing sabers aren't curved, so maybe he didn't realize.

LASER in itself is a bad term to bring up because LASER is an acronym, not a regular word, and going by Blasters, it seems that technology or word shouldn't exist in SW.

It's almost like Disney are trying to rationalise TLJ's nebulous "themes".

Then bring it up with Lucas, because he's the one who introduced the term and regularly uses it.

Yes, backstage, not on screen. At least not until the prequels.

>At least not until the prequels.
And this thread is complaining about "laser sword" being used in a movie released 19 years after it was used in the prequels. People have used it on-screen and in-universe before, so what's your point?

You really gonna make the point that we should try to respect and carry over what the prequels did here?

I might not like them, but they exist. And complaining about someone calling a lightsaber a laser sword and acting like that's new is pretty ridiculous considering we've heard it before. It's just someone complaining about something for the sake of complaining (or because they forgot).

That's why you don't really have a counterargument. The term has been used before, it's part of the universe. Get over it.

>Sup Forumsirgins flood rotten tomatoes after watching Mike's prequel reviews rating them fresh

In what world is something thats a mistake not worth correcting just because you've made it once?

Reactionaries really are the worst and generally speaking are the cause of all the worst horrors throughout human history.

So true

Never heard about this way of calling Jews.

Shit is fucking jokes, one of the best trolls of all time, pepe-loving millennials can't even wrap their heads around this shit