And as of today, this period in time shall be known as "The Post-TLJ Depression"

>And as of today, this period in time shall be known as "The Post-TLJ Depression"
I don't think any other movie has achieved this or will achieve this in a long time. Hell, I was 2 when The Phantom Menace came out but I can't picture the disappointment being as colossal as this shitshow, even for that one.
"Jar Jar killed Star Wars" lasted almost 20 years but it is now a thing of the past. "Rian killed Star Wars" is more fitting.

It's been a week and I still am in disbelief/feel like shit. I can't imagine how people that were around when the OT feel about this, I can't imagine what Mark is feeling, he isn't even allowed to talk shit on TLJ because of his contract. Poor guy is probably marathoning the first 6 movies and drinking heavily right now.
Comfort me, Sup Forums.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=Kj3opk1QFTM
youtube.com/watch?v=R0QPCS4a84k
youtube.com/watch?v=QXaXIksEt0k
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

>I can't imagine how people that were around when the OT feel about this
kind of dumbfounded, like when they pointlessly killed Captain Kirk

pretty apt comparison now that I think about it

Never really got into Star Trek. How does he die and most importantly, did he stay dead?

Why does everyone keep posting this video?

He gets dragged out to kill some random villain then a bridge falls on him and his burial is just a couple of rocks and no one else is told about his death.

What in the fuck
Do writers jack off at the thought of killing fan favorite characters?

>Rian
Kathleen killed Star Wars.
Get it right

There is a huge difference.

PT expanded the universes but ultimately we knew where things were headed.

There was the comforting thought that all would be okay at the end.

TLJ actively ruined everything that came before it.

PT OT TFA.

And who might that cunt be? Or, actually... Do I wanna know?

It's interested how its turned into a sort of group community mourning amidst a mainstream media feeding frenzy, will probably end up with even more of an appreciation of the originals.

It's also been a catalyst for exposing the divisiveness, manipulation and name calling rife in modern public debate. I wonder if thousands of people who like Star Wars but who'd never found themselves on the alternate side of a cultural argument are realising how prevalent straw men arguments, labelling etc. distorts the conversation. Maybe shitty Star Wars exploitation-film sequels will turn out to be a good thing in the long run.

At the very least, it warms my heart to see so many care about Luke and the injustice he was dealt at the hands of Disney.

>I can't picture the disappointment being as colossal as this shitshow

wew lad

it was worse. trust me.

How exactly? The only one who died there was Qui-Gon, a character that was introduced in the same movie, not 40 fucking years earlier.

Critics generally thought PM was meh and you didn't get this sort of politically charged backlash against those who disagreed with them. So not only is it disappointing for fans, but there's a general undertone of guilt by association that if you didn't like them then it's because there's suspicious about you

They did a cool job with obi-wan, the midicholrians and jar jar was dumb but there was a cohesive plot with implications leading into the trilogy.

Also there was a light saber duel

Imagine this. Imagine watching Episode 8 first. That's your very first Star Wars movie. For some people, it has to be. Now imagine that same person going back to watch the original trilogy. How do you think they'll see Luke? Or Leia? It would ruin your enjoyment of the films.

Did you miss the lightsaber duel between the sleeping Kylo and Luke? There lightsabers hit each other you know. Bet you didn't even watch the movie you alt-right troll.

Wtf I love TLJ now

Were the porgs stop motion? Watching it I was absolutely sure they were stop motion animated, but nobody else agrees with me.

>phantom menace
>cohesive plot

Porgs were a combination of puppets and cgi throughout the film.

because it was 20 years of buildup and we got a shitty movie. you really think luke dying is the big problem people have with TLJ?

but why did mark do it? why didn't he refuse, does he have any integrity, he cashed the cheques..

I find it hard to have any feels for him

I am glad I never watch Disney era ST. Feel bad for Mark, it seemed like he really wanted to be a part of the new films, but they screwed him.

Are you all just mad becaus Luke Skywalker dies? That’s what this is all about, isn’t it?

This
Luke dying was devoid of weight and disappointing, but its not the thing fan rage is directed at. His characterization up to that point is more rage worthy than just "oh they killed off luke wah wah"
Han Solo's death, for instance, had weight to it

I think it was post-production that killed him. Watch clips of him before the premiere and after. He did disagree with the script, but maybe he figured they could pull it off, I don't know. He had signed the contract before with Lucas.

I'm mad that the "Luke Skywalker" in this movie is not Luke Skywalker.

>you really think luke dying is the big problem people have with TLJ?
It is for me. I can look past every other idiotic scene but not this.

He had signed before George "Fucking idiot" Lucas sold Star Wars. Mark thought it was going to be another fun space adventure with his friends Carrie and Harrison.

everyone was SUPER HYPED for new Star Wars.

there was the trade route tax shit that seemed so vital to the plot but went unexplained. there was Jar Jar. there was Anakin Skywalker delivering awful lines and generally being an obnoxious, precocious little shit. there was Darth Maul who was barely in the movie, and wasn't given any backstory despite being the coolest looking character in the movie.

remember, up to this point, there was no such thing as a bad Star Wars film. people had been anticipating the other two trilogies since the mid-80s, and here was a new Star Wars film, the first one in 16 years, one that a lot of people thought would never come.

Don't care if its been posted before but this this nigga got some points

youtube.com/watch?v=R0QPCS4a84k

It's just the guy who made it posting it again and again.

>It is for me.
sounds like youre a brainlet that just wants to clap when he sees something he recognizes

I liked this, he's basically giving us all the points Plinkett would have if Mike gave enough of a shit to make one (and I understand him not caring enough to bother)

>signing anything before you read the script

he gets what he got

famous people don't have free will

he had to agree or else they would've killed his dog or family lmao and then digitally remove the character of Luke from the OT

Honestly no. I'm mad that his character was so bastardized. If he had been written as the Luke we know and love and then died, I'd be a little annoyed they went the cliche route of having the old mentor die again, but I'd be relieved he got the send off he deserves. But this movie effectively shat all over his character before killing him off to make room for Rian's shitty OC's.

Like a diet Plinkett

He was just too excited, I don't blame him. I CAN'T blame him. It was Star Wars after all.

>killing Luke like that.
If he had to die at least have him die with some fucking dignity. Even Obi-Wan got to die with a lightsaber in his hands face to face with the monster he created.

>the monster he created
Palpatine and in some sense, Padme created Vader, not Obi Wan. Obi Wan was just facing the monster he could not save.

>20 minutes
Oh for fuck's sake

Obi-wan's mistake is that he ran, as he and the Jedi considered those who had fallen to the dark side as irredemable and completely consumed. He never meant to ever meet Darth Vader again and instead tried to train one last old-school Jedi who could defeat him. While it made them hard to watch, the Jedi in the prequels had to be flawed and bland self-righteous.

Luke disobeyed Yoda, confronted Vader at Bespin with partial-training then surrendered himself to the Imperials on Endor's moon to try one more time. He might have been a Jedi but a new kind of Jedi, one that could live and love and enjoy life without corrupting, who didn't see the world in black and white and broke the ageless cycle of killing. (He would probably have even let Jabba live but his sister had other ideas after days of slug molestation.) That's Luke Skywalker.

Rlm was 45 minutes and they did fuck all

Kirk gets taken out of his personal Heaven to fight a low level villain, he falls off a bridge mid finale and dies

It's a fucking star wars movie m8. The prequels already were a collosal disappointment. Atleast the sequels are more enjoyable than those unless you're autistic.

>Atleast the sequels are more enjoyable than those unless you're autistic.
What did he mean by this?

He also became a legend and let his hubris be his downfall. That is also Luke Skywalker in case you forgot.

This. Wtf are you on about OP, like honestly. The fanbase is split on these movies, and by all rights they have plenty of redeeming qualities, despite being retarded movies overall.
The prequels have genuinely transcended from movies to memes, they're used purely for their setting and characters now. Nobody has taken the prequels seriously since their release.

Literally just learn to go in with low expectations. Both movies were OK

Funny, I remember RLM shitting all over that. Tell me why didn't they do the same to Luke?

TFA was, but TLJ raped and burned the corpse of star wars

Good point, you can tell his gunner in Empire is super excited to be flying with The Luke Skywalker. And he not only fails him, he fails at Bespin.

But that lesson was learned then and put into practice with RotJ Luke.

Attack of the Clones did that already. TLJ is enjoyable to watch sorry it triggers you.

He didn't need to tip Ben to the darkside himself with a retroactive moral struggle, Ben could easily have been influenced by a more fleshed out Snoke character and succumbed to temptation and his grandfather's awe inspiring legacy and quest for order and power while his parents were divorcing.

I could then accept Luke hiding away and refusing to teach other Jedi lest he make the same mistake, and Ben doesn't seem to be causing more trouble anywhere in the known galaxy.

Then just make him too old to finish Rey's training before he's forced to pass on that torch. Or give him the valiant last stand while he gives this new generation the chance they need.

With that all of the other problems would have been at least tolerable for me. Maybe that was a specially modified kamikaze cruiser etc. Whatever, lore and technology can be written around, it would still have been mediocre but not character breaking.

So you think learning how to be a hero was just over for Luke once rotj ended? Like he just had it 100% figured out?

>Nobody takes the prequels seriously.
Oh sweetie.

>reeeee what did they do to muh luke
Sorry but this is retarded
every other criticism of this movie is valid ie disconnected plotlines, too much bait and switch etc but the luke complaints are retarded
he was handled perfectly in this film and what he did was so much more badass than the typical lightsaber heelspins and backflips you faggots expected.
If you do not understand this you are not a true fan of Luke and don't even get what the entire franchise is about.

You little hivemind retards only cry like this because of some vague criticism Mark Hamill made back when the script wasn't even finished yet that he has long admitted was wrong, anyway.

Might not be strictly realistic that someone never stumbles twice, but this is Star Wars, he's the Jedi that saved Darth Vader, you're robbing the original trilogy of it's dramatic impact for a story payoff that a lot of people aren't feeling was worth it.

not only that they kill the TNG enterprise in the same movie

Star Trek pretty much died with Generations, it just bled out slowly.. DS9 was good, but every new show released afterwards was shitty

i pretty much only watched the movies for luke, and was hoping luke would be the centerpiece of 9 after coming out of retirement in 8.

i was hoping 8 would see kylo and rey switch sides, leading them both to develop stronger connections to the force, and kylo's reformation would bring luke, NOW THE MOST POWERFUL JEDI EVER AND THE LAST OF THE CLASSICAL ANCIENT JEDI ORDER, out of retirement to defeat snoke, AN ANCIENT BEING BOUND WITHIN THE DARK SIDE OF THE FORCE, FEEDING UPON THE FORCE FOR CENTURIES TO SUSTAIN HIMSELF.

the final movie would have them committing almost godlike feats of power with the force, and luke would die by the end of it (along with snoke). kylo and rey would be the founding members of a new breed of force users, who are truly balanced within the force.

that would close out the skywalker saga pretty neatly and succinctly, close out that era of the force, and open up a new saga about snoke or about ancient galactic history.

they could have left TFA ENTIRELY INTACT and still told the story of this trilogy, which could have been a solid entry in the saga

fuck off shill, you have no power here

easier to claim behind the scenes fuckery and foul play when you don't understand something you little shit, right?

stop posting your shitty video and fuck off

The dramatic impact of the original story already happened. Now Luke's journey has transferred from hero to mentor and he stumbled in it just like he stumbled before. Pretty fitting.

DS9 was the pinnacle. When I look back at it, it must have seemed like a really hard act to follow with the new movies.

it was a battle for Luke's soul and Obi won by sacrificing himself, Luke never became like Vader he is not a murdered he only uses his power for defence like a true Jedi

>he only uses his power for defence like a true Jedi
Except when he, you know, tries to murder his own nephew.

Nothing wrong with that concept, the execution has split opinion.

>Hell, I was 2 when The Phantom Menace came out but I can't picture the disappointment being as colossal as this shitshow, even for that one.

I saw it in the theater.

TLJ was the bigger disappointment.

>feel like shit
why? its just a movie mate, get over it

And furthermore at least the prequels gave something new for everything they took away. Coruscant for Jar Jar, Palpatine's amazingness for not liking sand, etc. The sequels have only taken away from the saga and have not given us anything worthwhile in return.

President of LucasFilm and producer of all of these movies.

In short, she's the Emperor while Rian is Vader.

>Rian is Vader
That would imply he's the good guy at the end, and I don't think that's possible. I absolutely hate that faggot.

Everyone has childhood heroes they'd hate to see mishandled or disappoint, whether it's a character in a story or an athlete etc. When your core audience has been willing to buy into Stuff for decades with crazy levels of dedication, a bit of careful fan service in the right place makes a lot more sense from a business to filmmaking perspective. These films are supposed to be about the new characters, why jeapordise the audience's sentiments on a gamble with the old ones.

lol Rian provided literally nothing new to replace the shit he ruined

At least the prequals had some semblance of internal consistency you fucking butt pirate.

"Rian killed Star Wars"
He did for me at least.

Does anyone have a gif of the yoda puppet i wanna show off how crap it was

Since I actually know very little about the backroom politics, why do you have something against Rian in particular? I always had the impression this shit was written by committee no matter who shows up with writer's credit.

>why do you have something against Rian in particular?
Okay, so I didn't even know him before I saw TLJ. After watching the interviews and everything I can only see how punchable his fucking face is, I will forever remember him as the guy who killed Luke Skywalker. I cannot forgive that. Fuck that little cunt.

Why doesn't someone just post it? This one's heavily edited, but it's the only one I found that has both the death and some of the events leading up to it.

youtube.com/watch?v=QXaXIksEt0k

I'm old and was around for ESB in theaters. This TLJ hurt me deeply.

He wrote it, said he specifically not trying to please fans and wrote it before TFA came out in theatres, so it didn't take into account how vested people were with Snoke, Phasma etc. But when they were set up so much in the first script as wait-and-sees, it's hard to imagine that being a surprise.

Filmmaking's all about set-ups and pay offs. Hang a gun on a wall and it better get fired at some point.

Yes, they deserve to die and i hope they burn in hell !

And a twist or subversion is fine when it adds more.

Vader being Luke's dad was a twist that added a whole new dimension to the story and defined that whole trilogy. That's how you use a shock subversion. It retains dramatic oomf on rewatches because its significance goes way beyond the shock factor. I feel like these new films might be super entertaining but lack the staying power that made this franchise what is.

Remember when Disney bought Star Wars and we had some hope for a movie every year? Welp turns out yes we will get a movie every year.... and they will brainwash our children into being cowards like Luke Skywalker

I want to give him a hug and tell him everything's gonna be okay even though it isn't

this nu-star wars is so awful even compare to random fanctions, it made me sick

Someday we might look back on this and decide that showing those kids the originals films first was the one decent thing we were able to pull out of this whole god-awful shitty mess.

>Oh look, it's THIS post again

Mike has it too.

do they still write the eu legacy books?

they'll reprint old ones but nothing new that isn't disney canon

I honestly thought I don't care about SW anymore but for some reason I do feel like shit ever since watching TLJ.

>Hell, I was 2 when The Phantom Menace came out but I can't picture the disappointment being as colossal as this shitshow

It was.

There are direct parallels like people reacting to Darth Maul. Cool villain introduced in the first movie and.. oh. He died. Who was he? Why didn't he get some character development?

Bygones. Instead Jar Jar steps in the doody. Hahahahah.

bad taste senpai

No, they write new canon books with gay characters in them. Yay.

True. Disney fucked up big time, all they had to do was make a semi good movie and fans would've accepted it, but they made this huge pile of shit instead, I mean was Rian trolling or something?

We all do.
Fall of the Roman Empire.
That slow decay...

I don't give a shit what abomination Disney has created.
Hamill said they ruined all Luke stood for and this was not a true representation of Luke.
NOT FUCKING CANON