The failure of feminism

I finally figured out what bothered me so much about all that forced & propped up woman power shit in TLJ.

In ANH they were able to portray a strong willed, smart, powerful female character WITHOUT needing to belittle all men around her to show how awesome she was. In fact, they paired her with an equally strong male and let their mutual badassery be the connecting fiber between them.

They did all this while allowing Han to be a man's man and Leia to exhibit femininity. The boys come to rescue her & she takes a gun & starts blasting her way out of the prison. She shoots a few bad guys then kisses Luke on the cheek as he swings her to safety. She's both strong and feminine, they don't have to be mutually exclusive. Leia's strength is far more real and believable than the dumbed down version of modern feminist strength they heap upon all the new female characters.

Somehow now the only way we can prove women are strong and brave is to reduce any men around them to blithering idiots and chastise men who still act like men as if men's weakness is the only thing that allows room for women to be strong.

It's the thinking man's fetish.

why do you think they do it? why does this shit sells? they do it because it's selling, so it probably isn't the writers fault as a whole

that's true

I don't think it's a failure of screenwriting, I think it's that the ivory tower bubble elite actually see themselves.

You're mansplaining right now and you need to stop immediately because it makes women feel unhappy.

The writers are spineless and feeding into the dangerous cultural narrative that women are grossly mistreated at every turn by rape machine men.
Why are men being marginalized? What's the purpose of this insatiable desire to cut men off at the knees?
I don't know, I don't understand it but I'm really getting fucking tired of it.
Before the movie played I swear every trailer was for some woman power propaganda film. I kept leaning over to my wife every 10 seconds, 'oh look, another strong woman'. It's gotten eye rollingly bad.

>tfw part of the reason I liked the Reylo scenes so much is because they actually allowed Rey to be feminine

>Rey
>feminine
I'm not sure Kike-nose Ren isn't prettier.

Lots of people missed that with Leia and it wasn't a massive part of the advertising campaign, now they're aiming for the lowest common denominator so there's absolutely no way to misinterpret the fact that woman = stronk

How can you miss it? The whole reason Han falls for her is because she's his equal. She's running through life the same direction and speed as he is which is how falling in love works. Or should work. Leia is probably the first woman in the galaxy he's met who can match him stride for stride, of course that means she's strong, brave, & an all around badass.

She's cute when they cut out part of her forehead and her mouth is mostly closed.

>WITHOUT needing to belittle all men around her to show how awesome she was.

Oh, but she does, the key is that is framed properly as her being a bitch, and her lack of trust in Luke and Han is a flaw to be overcome. Trust is an important theme of ANH. Luke has to get sold on this idea of the force and being a Jedi. He also has to believe Han to be there when he needs him. Han learns that Luke isn't completely worthless and can be counted on in a fight. He also learns that the Rebel cause, or at least his friends in that cause are worth fighting for. Leia herself learns that for all of Han's crassness and Luke's inexperience, they are reliable allies. Leia, Luke and Han's mutual ignorance and distrust of each other's intentions and merits are internal flaws they help each other overcome.

The problem is trust and reliance requires characters to be willing and able to lean on others for help when they need it, and feminists think that is a weakness, rather than the mark of maturity. Feminist characters are never framed as having a need for a personal growth that others can help promote. The problem is always external and the solution never involves self-reflection or reevaluation.

That is really what makes a character like Rey a Mary Sue, not the hyper-competence in too many areas, but that fact that she is not framed as needing anyone's help in personally developing. All of her problems are what other people are doing to her. All of the solutions are things she can do, without the help of others. She doesn't need to learn or change, it's everyone else that doesn't "get it". That wishful thinking and wish fulfillment is what makes a character hard to relate to, because the audience to vicariously self-improve in mind just as well as in body.

Kek

Pulls off the sexiest fetish costume in cinema history.
Also strangles her captor with his own chains of oppression.

For sure and it makes her loads of fun to watch but I can remember people using Leia as an example of a modern damsel in distress and most likely never actually watching the films. Now you barely need to have watched them and you're still walloped over the head with it as it's a distinct marketing strategy.

Kylo actually helps her face her bullshit about her parents at the end and she develops from that. Too bad her "developing" is causes her being a retard and not joining him so they still somehow managed to try and paint him as the total bad guy even she owes what little development her piss-poor character has to him and their bond.

There's a distinction. She's belittling men, not the writers. The male characters in TLJ are written and portrayed as buffoons not simply treated as such by a tough chick.

>belittle all men around her

Honestly I thought that part was fine, it's only afterwards when you realize she got half the rebellion killed by keeping the plan secret that the powerful woman shit falls apart

>hey he's right about my parents
>and his plan
>but lol nope he's bad guy i'm good girl

>I thought that part was fine
you're part of the problem

digits

>Kylo actually helps her face her bullshit about her parents at the end and she develops from that.

That's why she's less annoying in TLJ than TFA. It seems like in TFA, the delusion that Rey's parents were ever coming back was supposed to be that personal flaw to be overcome, but it wasn't integrated into the plot in a meaningful way.

The closest it got was when she got captured because she was compelled to go back to Jakku. It ultimately leads to Han Solo's death, but the movie moves to0 fast to draw out the connection between the character flaw(Rey waiting for parents), the bad decision that flowed from that flaw(running off and exposing herself to capture) and the negative consequence of that decision(Han getting killed in a partial rescue mission).

We needed a slow, aftermath type scene like in ANH on the Falcon after Obi-wan died, where Rey reflects on Han's death and blames herself for getting Han killed. You can have Leia or someone say she shouldn't really blame herself, but Rey ultimately comes away with the realization that there are people in her life now that care about her and she cares about(Finn, BB8 etc.) and that she needs to worry about the family she's got, not the one she's waiting on.

It would have gone a long way to humanize her. that and not knowing how to do everything.

you're smart and shit

>literally have to wait until the end of the second movie for the "villain" to force the "protag" to face her one and only weakness by literally telling her because she's too retarded to accept and figure it out on her own

What did they mean by this?

Obsessed.

It's salvagable, JJ could add that above reflection scene at the start of the third one. They could get Hamill back and do some more with him, show that hitting rock bottom at the end of his life still has a good payoff. It won't be great, this film will still be sub-par, but this is damage control.

I know you are but what am I?

Political correctness is marxism, it establishes its wielder as the moral authority by default.

Whoever wields it most powerfully gets to run shit, nobodys gonna risk pissing off the radical feminists

>Political correctness is marxism, it establishes its wielder as the moral authority by default.
>Whoever wields it most powerfully gets to run shit, nobodys gonna risk pissing off the radical feminists
/thread

Ummm so did we forget the last year?

Quick recap: childlike American men made a horrible orange rapist President and everyday since is an existential nightmare.

We might not even have a habitable planet in ten years and it's thanks to their egos.

Fuck their feelings, let the belittling commence.

We're done playing games.

Literally FUCK their feelings!

>Literally FUCK their feelings
uh. about that.

Shutting down reasoned debate and turning it into a gender strawman aint the answer. Films like this will make some feel better, but does it really help?

>everyday since is an existential nightmare.
how has your life changed?

>we might not have a habitable planet in ten years

Why don’t liberals every criticize China’s environmental policies?

Why does everybody think Driver is a heeb? His nose isn't even hooked!
He's 100% goy as far as I can tell, just ugly.

*ever criticize

You’re 100% correct. Leia was a competent woman, and even led the rebellion for a time, along with Mon Mothma, another woman.

Woman were always portrayed as strong characters in the movies, even Padme shot dirty seppy scum when it came down to it.

>and everyday since is an existential nightmare
Lol, sucks to be you.

that's what happens when you're on the wrong side of history

Yes. Our entire culture is in mutiny right now and it's all we have until impeachment drives violent Skinheads back in the closet.

How? I have to see a sadistic monster embarrass my country every fucking day. Somehow, I force myself out of bed, pretend to smile, and pretend even harder race relations haven't been set back fifty fucking years, but let me tell you, that's getting harder by the day.

Doug Jones winning Alabama is the first time in over a year I actually felt human. Maybe the Big Blue Wave is real. And it fucking needs to be right the fuck now to keep me sane.

Also, even if Donald Fuckface is magically locked up, the scars will linger forever. I have deep uneven cuts all over my hands. They're as healed as they'll ever be now but that isn't saying much.

They're from election night. I went insane around two o'clock in the morning and punched out every window in my house. Neighbors called the cops. I spent the next three days in a psyche ward screaming for the traitor fuck to be arrested, begging them to shock my brain because I couldn't believe the election results were real.

Trump ruined my fucking life. The only reason I haven't settled into a warm bath with a razor blade is that we just MIGHT get to see his downfall.

he is jewish and even his name "Adam Driver" is a dead-giveaway

Shooting a gun and looking cute behind a computer screen does not make you a strong person.

why are you so melodramatic

no you won't you'll never see him leave office user, you better just do it

you're a bad person

Holey moley I'd let her belittle me every day.

Everything's swings and roundabouts, just hang in there and things will change. Carter was followed by Reagan. Bush Jr. was followed by Obama. We lurch one way then another. It's why the soviets were terrified of us, they were stagnant while we had no consistency.