What creates the most rabid fandoms?

What creates the most rabid fandoms?

I'm pretty sure we can boil it down to a few principles. Homestuck didn't blow up until the trolls arrived, for instance.

What was the appeal?

Other urls found in this thread:

meaningness.com/metablog/geeks-mops-sociopaths.
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Self-insertability

See also: Sonic, Horse

in case of Homestuck and JoJo: Make it as inaccessible as possible, so that the fans feel like they are part of an exclusive club.

Extensive worldbuilding with a lot of blanks to be filled + "Cool" OC concept you can replicate (Homestuck trolls, JoJo stands, Undertale monsters, also ) + Apparent complexity shipperfags don't need to understand to enjoy the story while still appealing to theoryfags and lroefags

Being gay as hell (in the case of those three) and actively encouraging shipping (directly in the case of Homestuck, indirectly with Undertale unless there was a direct reference I forgot about) helps

Also the crazy update rate and reader participation/acknowledgement is probably what made Homestuck so popular in the first place

>What creates the most rabid fandoms
Autism

shipping shipping shipping shipping shipping shipping shipping shipping shipping shipping shipping shipping shipping shipping shipping shipping shipping shipping shipping shipping shipping shipping shipping shipping shipping shipping shipping shipping shipping shipping shipping shipping shipping shipping shipping shipping shipping shipping shipping shipping shipping shipping shipping shipping shipping shipping shipping shipping shipping shipping

Also being "quirky" and lolrandumb

Like an Adam Warren comic, YOU'RE JUST SAYING GUY KEYWORDS.

Being jealous that there are people outside of mole and pore world where a picture figure is always hostile to your existence. Grotesque.

I'm kind of curious with this as well.

Like with currently airing cartoons. Why are the Steven Universe and Voltron fanbases more crazy overall in comparison to Star Vs The Forces of Evil?

My theory was that it depends on whether or not the characters the fanbase cares about the most have a clear endgame in terms of shipping. Like with Star and Marco being the most cared about characters, and majority of the fanbase knows they're going to be together at the end, so it reduces overall autism.

Meanwhile in Steven Universe the most cared about characters are the gems, and there really isn't a clear endgame for any of them. Resulting in autism.

Same with Voltron, the popular characters being Shiro, Keith, Lance, and Pidge. There's no clear endgame for any of them either. Again, more autism.

That's an interesting thought

Star Vs also has a very small core cast, and while the supporting cast is quite large most of them have a fixed place within the show that leaves little room for interpretation or speculation

characters having discrete thematic traits that are easily categorized
sonic has color+animal
harry potter has hogwarts houses and wand material
homestuck has color+typing quirk+ derse or prospit+ class + aspect, and in the case of the trolls, color is augmented into blood caste typing quirks are even more bizarre, and they also have their iconograph and their lusus and their ancestor, which are all meant to be related in some way
and can't forget fetch modus+strife specibus

I was about to say, I wonder if it'd be possible to make some kind of satire about these trends.

But then I remembered that that's literally was homestuck was supposed to be with the kids, just ironically so, and then unironically with the trolls.

Jesus christ, autism is hell.

Size most likely. I mean if it ain't big, it ain't attracting the crazy. The same story gets told over and over again "This fandom was good until it got big."

sburb players also have a sprite, planets, denizens and consorts and endless trash with alchemy

oh yeah, I forgot about those

If you stare into the autism, the autism also stares into you.

Because there's a lot more lead hetero ships in the fandom more than homo. The fandom tries to insert large LGBT+ stuff like Tomco and Trans!Marco theory, but even those don't last since the show outright destroys them.

The fandom is also not louder than others.

Actually inaccessible or superficially inaccessible? Because actually inaccessible things probably don't spawn fandoms. Article related: meaningness.com/metablog/geeks-mops-sociopaths.

It's true. If it's marathonable, you're going to get a snowball fanbase.

Anything that lasts long is going to grow a fanbase on principle

>What creates the most rabid fandoms?
Encouraging personas of any kind

See: fursonas, coldsteel the hedehog, homestucks and trollsonas, bronies, gemsonas...

- Wordlbuilding that is incomplete, so that readers can "do a better job."
- frequent stimulation, to give a persistent "high".

God I hate "Worldbuilding" fags. They'll excuse even the worst writing if inane factoids are slowly "revealed" over time.

I forgive you for hating us
you can't help it

Controversy and flame wars

Template-like characters that is easy to make OCs of.

Fuck you.
Your kind has convinced people Xenosaga isn't shit.

you can't stop us
our agenda is invincible

Do you seek power over men, OP?

Extremely relatable to a, what I'm convinced it was at first, satirical degree. Each of them was given a unique color, unique symbol, unique textspeech impediment, unique totem animal, and unique horn shape. Then they get another layer of bullshit identifiers via the game's rolespect system.

Hussie couldn't have made them more marketable if he tried. All to SELL MOR MERCH AND TEE SHIRTS

men, women, and certain base elements

>and can't forget fetch modus+strife specibus
Hussie sure did