Comic book writers

I´ve been reading up on the work of the better known writers like Moore, Morrison, Gaiman and the like.

But what are some recent names I should look foward too when picking a series to read? I dont read capeshit very often because of how much a storyline can change when the stuff is handed out to someone less competent.

Thats why I stick with stuff like Hellboy, Mouse Guard, Usagi, etc. They are creator driven series and you dont have to worry as much if you see a new name in the cover.

Other urls found in this thread:

amazon.com/Underwater-Welder-Jeff-Lemire/dp/1603090746
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

>People will say Ewing unironically

ewing, fuck the haters

>But what are some recent names I should look foward too when picking a series to read?
Gerard Way

Here is a hard truth that will trigger Sup Forums

If you pick up a comic that says Bendis or Millar on it there is a 50% chance it's going to be great

Hickman, fuck the Sup Forumsntrarians.

well, it's a troll thread already so Ales Kot

Rick remender and Donny cates

>Memender

You'll probably like Matt Costa. He's the best, dude has a real respect for continuity, and a keen eye towards apt and accurate characterization. Safe to say, the man is the next 'Dan Clowes' of capeshit.

Kurt Busiek, and I’m not memeing you

anyone know what this is from?

I kinda liked this one its like 5 years old though so not really new
amazon.com/Underwater-Welder-Jeff-Lemire/dp/1603090746

>Donny cates
this

50% of the time it works every time.

what about his daredevil stuff?

>Matt Costa
Literally who?

Ignore any retards who say Ewing.

>Donny cates
Why are people shilling this writer? Is that you Donny? Your indieshit not selling good enough that you need to shill yourself constantly here?

These guys are trash.

Okay, no memeing.

Jeff Lemire, Gerard Way and Kurt Busiek were good responses. Mark Russel has a pretty good catalog, too, and usually smarter than the average capecomic.

China Miéville is also very good.

Gene Luen Yang is a genius in the making.

Christopher Priest returned better than before.

>China Miéville
Are his comics good because he's a trash writer.

>we have similar tastes, Never heard of Yang , where should I start ?

ABC

>we have similar tastes, Never heard of Yang , where should I start ?

He has the Bendis seal of approval. Brian said he's the next best thing in comics.

Trash novel writers are on the same level as excellent comic book writers. This is true since Stan Lee (failed novelist).

But seriously, I don't think even his novels are bad. I discovered him through Gaiman's recommendations and they have similar styles.

Cool, thanks.

Try "American Born Chinese", and if you like it, read his current "New Super-Man".

>Bendis seal of approval

Everything he has written ranges from good to excellent except for his short Superman run and Avatar books. Read anything by him really.

Okay, actual no meme response

>Lemire
Only his creator owned stuff, his big two is mostly crap or mediocre with Animal Man as an exception. He has a tendency to write for the trade which hurts his stuff.

>Way
Small catalog, but very good

>Busiek
Old fart. He gas not become terrible or anything but I'm sure OP knows him

>Russell
Meme suggestion

>Mieville
Only did one comic. It was good though

>Yang is a genius in the making
I seriously hope you're joking. American born Chinese is very good but Boxers and Saint just okay. New Superman isn't anything special either. Haven't read Shadow Hero but it might be great(check out Sonny Loew's The Art of Charlie Chan)

>Priest
Again, old fart. Death stroke is great though.

Also check out Farel Dalrymple, OP.

>>Russell
>Meme suggestion
>>Yang is a genius in the making
>I seriously hope you're joking. American born Chinese is very good but Boxers and Saint just okay. New Superman isn't anything special either. Haven't read Shadow Hero but it might be great(check out Sonny Loew's The Art of Charlie Chan)
KYS Yourself.

King Seeley Way Manapul

>all this American trash
If you want to find good and creative writers, read Euro comics. American stuff is always too by the numbers and safe.

not reading God Country?

He's had two books come out this year, God country which is great and has really good art and redneck which came it last week and got storytimed a couple days ago. Although it's only the first issue it seems really promising.

>Your indieshit not selling good enough that you need to shill yourself constantly here?
He had a top 5 selling comic this month

I would agree with all of those if it wasn't for kings batman which is the first thing he's done which wasn't great and hasn't really shown any signs of improving. Hopefully war and riddles is better.

There is no need to be upset.

Oh but you think Manapul's trash writing is anything worth mentioning? Seeley is mediocre and trying too hard to copy Morrison.

well, King is going to be doing a New Gods book. So that has promise.

>Seeley is mediocre and trying too hard to copy Morrison.
You misspelled Ewing

Euro comics are shit, worse than american stuff. Manga is where it's at.

It applies to both.

Warren Ellis, Peter Milligan.

no you idiot, official rankings are Euro > S American > Japanese > American

Pleb opinion.

bump

Corinna Bechko
Ed Brubaker
David Hine
Joe Kelly
Michael Moreci
Michael Alan Nelson
Tim Seeley
Scott Snyder
Simon Spurrier
Joshua Williamson

>Manga
>good

they publish so much shit that if they have a good title ,its just an accident

Fuck I forgot Brubaker.

You're thinking of euro comics.

Snyder, Hickman, Ewing, Bendis (

>reading books you hate
Every time.

Millar, Brubaker, Lamire.

Forgot about those guys.

Jeff Lemire, Tom King, Gerard Way, and Christopher Priest are who I like.

>Bendis
Oh go fuck yourselves.

It's very good

Millar>Bendis>Brubaker>Lee>Waid>Soule>Random 90s writers.

>Millar
Another casual.

I'm fucking myself to all these good Bendis comics.

Seriously though I think Bendis is good less than 50% of the time. When he is though he's great.

> Casual
> Kek

Frank Miller defined Daredevil for generations my boi.

>wanting comic reccs from a board that doesn't read comics

>good Bendis comics.
No such thing. Fuck you for trying to bait people just like you've baited me years ago.

Doesn't know the difference between Miller and Millar
Casual indeed.

I do. Auto correct is a bitch my dude.

Is this supposed to make sense?

I'll never understand Bendis haters. He is a great writer when he wants to be. He was one of the architects for Ultimate Marvel which helped revive the brand, and is what the MCU is mostly based on.
Ultimate Spider-Man, Daredevil, Scarlet, Allias, House of M.

Sorry Sup Forumsntrarian.

Warren Ellis is still putting out enjoyable work.
Ennis is always fun.
I will consistently buy anything by James Stokoe.
Ales Kot seems like a bit of a nut, but everything I've read by him is very interesting.
Tom King is definitely somebody to keep an eye on; I'm not loving his Batman run but I'm sure he'll produce some good stuff in the future.

Alias is a gigantic piece of shit and it displays Bendis at his most Bendis. The art is also atrocious and only serves to make the dialogue even more obnoxious. Fuck you and your retarded meme, your cult tricked me into reading this garbage and you're still trying to fool people into wasting their time in these garbage comics.

This is pretty great. Though I don't get Alan Moore

Johns is pure evil.

>phoneposting
Casual you are.

Tom Scioli

Bloody casuals.

ZOIDS

His writing is good, his politics are terrible.

I just can't stop shitpostong on Sup Forums!

>Sakai

I chuckled

Man, you guys are dicks. Instead of shoo-ing newfags away you give them terrible recommendations so they'll have a bad opinion on the medium but still hang around and shitpost. Good job.

>Doesn't recommend one TROO good author

We left out TOAA, sorry

Jack Kirby

He was recommended already.

Good answer

>King is Rey
>Spencer is Kylo Ren

>Rey
>not Vilmarh
Ya blew it.

Remember when we all loved Spencer? Remember Superior Foes?

Sup Forums is pretty split on it. He has done some good stuff, no question but he's done a lot of mediocre stuff. And his constant twitter shinanigans is a real turn off.

I dunno, the more Bendis writes the more that percentage is gonna go down. Millar can at least be entertaining in how awful some of his stuff is, Bendis' latest is just a chore to read.

Yeah.

If you pull a random trade from the Bendis shelf of your LCS, you have a 30% chance of getting a good book, but if you grab a new floppy it's 0%. While with Millar it's consistent between his old and new works.

The new Jessica Jones is good. Bendis can write street level pretty well, they just need to keep him away from anything cosmic or in continuity.

I dropped it cause A) it was slow as hell and B) censoring swears ruins it, it trashes the dialog and ruins any immersion. By all means censor the teen books and whatever else you want, but this was origionally a MAX book (even though they got rid of that imprint), and even on this it specifically warns against anyone underage reading it.

Yeah, that is kinda lame.

I liked it. I think I'd like it more if Alan Moore was just a photo of Alan Moore.

Peter Milligan for sure. Enigma is one of my all-time favorite comics.

Ellis is hit and miss for me. His characters are all smarty-pants know-it-alls and that can make his writing pretty immature. It fits perfectly with stuff like The Authority though.

Rick Remender is making fantastic stuff with Low, Deadly Class, Black Science, and Tokyo Ghost.

can we do this with Morrisonspeak

don't forget Seven to Eternity, which is also one of the most beautiful books i've evrer seen

Ad they're shit with good art.